Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

howe_sam posted:

I've always sort of low key liked MSU as the sort of underdogs of the big time Michigan athletic scene, and because they have a baller small animal hospital, but fuuuuuck man

I’m sure the veterinary program has skeletons too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

For anyone who doesn't know, Brenda Tracy was raped by Oregon State players in the early 2000s and now goes around the country working with coaches and their teams (including Mike Riley recently) on how not to be a rapist/perpetuate rape culture.

I could definitely buy that Izzo doesn't know how bad it is considering he keeps putting his foot in his mouth. His public takes on the whole situation have been very much what I would expect from a well-meaning aging rich guy who lives in a bubble.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Do you believe the NCAA would pull the trigger on that if they wouldn't do it to Penn State?

EDIT: though if Emmert really knew about Nassar maybe the NCAA will be very different soon enough!

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jan 29, 2018

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/JustinHinkley/status/958706562217979905

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I get where Evan is coming from since so many victims did tell their parents and their parents ignored them or outright accused them of lying, but it's dumb to assume that about every one when there are 250 victims.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Niwrad posted:

This might end up being something. Apparently the Notre Dame AD advised USA gymnastics.

I am also glad the guy punched Nassar and hope Nassar gets shived in prison.

Good thing Notre Dame doesn't have any notorious athletic department sex scandals recently

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Niwrad posted:

I mean this wasn't a serious matter like having lunch with Deion Sanders.

Wasn't the violation actually that he lied about having lunch with Deion Sanders, which was otherwise legal?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

elentar posted:

Hey guess who’s going to foot the bill on all this

Go ahead, guess

If you guessed “people without money” you are both right and not tremendously naive:
https://twitter.com/reclaimuc/status/978737502663081984

Good thing Michigan already has some of the highest in state tuition in the country.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Great piece using this as a jumping off point for how colleges prey on loyalty
https://deadspin.com/how-big-colleges-prey-on-fan-loyalty-to-fight-back-agai-1823903554

The replies to her tweet about it are so embarrassing. Some fans really have gone full Paterno Protector about Dantonio and Izzo.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Would you believe he was also a lovely governor?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Is John Engler the worst Interim College President in history?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Remember the good ol' pre-Penn State days when OSU was the official molester school because a guy in Buckeye gear was on To Catch a Predator?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

AsInHowe posted:

Michigan's only clean rival is Minnesota now.

They had that gang rape a couple of years ago but those were players, not employees, and I think everybody's gone.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
NCAA Finds NCAA Legislation to be Ineffective

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Doesn’t the NCAA actually give the death penalty all the time to like, D3 tennis programs? They will never do it to a revenue program again after it permanently hosed SMU.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Bootcha posted:

At what point do we consider this isn't a MSU problem so much as a NCAA problem?

Seriously, I'm all for a MSU death penalty, but something about this just screams the NCAA denying federal involvement just for the sake of the NCAA mechanics remaining in place without oversight, oversight being what the NCAA is supposed to do in the loving first place.

At what point do we shift from "Burn MSU to the ground" to "Burn the NCAA to the ground"?

To circle back to a point made in the early stages of the D&D version of this thread, it’s more like a problem with powerful institutions in general

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

DJExile posted:

A couple 90 year old columnists would grumble and barstool will do 400 articles about who they'd gently caress on the team even if they're underage, but beyond that I doubt anyone would give them grief about it given the circumstances.

Their sponsorships might totally fall apart though.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Keep in mind that Engler is only the interim president. Imagine anyone being so unbelievably awful as the “interim” anything! Like drat dude your job is to tidy things up for a temporary period. Can you go more than 72 hours without insulting rape victims?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

General Dog posted:

Current scandal aside, is there something inherently conservative about Michigan State?

It's an agricultural school in the central part of the state that draws heavily from that area and the western and northern parts, which are all significantly more conservative than metro Detroit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Gov. Snyder was busy trying to cover up the poisoning of an entire city