Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

EvanTH posted:

wanna go on record saying I've thought gymnastics were creepy as poo poo for years, basically since every olympics where NBC runs promo videos glowing about how great the Karolyis are for requiring 16 hour work days from preteen girls who'd been signed away by very strange parents

the E:60 special that aired this morning has clips from videos that Nassar made about treating athletes and they were deeply disturbing given the context we now have, but before all this happened he was just like a cool doctor dude who spent all his time prodding the pelvises of teenage girls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

swickles posted:

John Amaechi told a story about how he would grab coffee in the mornings from the coaches office and the NCAA compliance officer found him and told him it was a violation. His point was that if they can track how much coffee you are drinking and where its coming from, its unfathomable that nobody knew about Nassar.

he's clearly ignoring what actually happened: the coaches were annoyed at someone taking their coffee and ratted him out because coaches suck

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

this was the alert I got on my phone today, and my immediate thought was "burn East Lansing to the ground". I suppose it's not a surprise that a creepy pedo rapist kept his job because his boss was also a creepy pedo rapist but jesus loving christ everyone in that administration should lose their loving jobs.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

as much as I think MSU should be torched to the ground the NCAA would be stretching their boundaries way way too far if they punished MSU for a team doctor and his boss, the dean of a Med school program. They're really not under the jurisdiction of the NCAA. And I say that as someone who thinks that the NCAA should absolutely have destroyed Penn State Football (because that was an assistant coach who was protected by his boss, the head football coach). If I'm not mistaken not all of Nassar's victims were gymnasts or even athletes (though most were), so it's not an athlete problem, it's a student problem.

Now, the federal government on the other hand should go in there and rip poo poo up and make sure the victims are fairly compensated and any and every person who had any sort of knowledge or authority over the situation to lose their jobs.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

AsInHowe posted:

Michigan's only clean rival is Minnesota now.

Minnesota's wrestling coach got fired a couple years back, thanks to the ever-popular (except among Athletic Directors) "snitches get stitches" policy:

quote:

The public end for Robinson began when an anonymous member of the U wrestling team reported to police April 8 that 14 teammates were using and selling 500 to 1,000 pills of Xanax on campus. The wrestler told police that Robinson knew of the situation and that he offered “amnesty” to two wrestlers if they wrote letters of apology and gave the drugs to Robinson.

According to a search warrant affidavit, Robinson met with university police officers April 12 but refused to provide them with wrestlers’ names, documents in his possession and other pertinent information. The coach said he’d provide extensive information to police in exchange for “immunity” for his athletes.

“He said [to police], ‘Listen, I’m not going to work with you,’ ” Robinson’s attorney, Ryan Kaess, said in June. “ ‘Why are you ostensibly coming after these kids? We need to help them — not hang a felony around their necks.’ ”

Robinson’s agent, James C.W. Bock, has insisted that Robinson acted appropriately. Bock has said Robinson first notified U officials, including then-interim AD Beth Goetz, of his suspicions about drug use on March 7.

The entire wrestling team was tested March 22, and according to the university investigation, Robinson asked his wrestlers the next day at a team meeting to come to him with their confessions and remaining drugs and “they would receive amnesty.”

The investigation found at least 12 wrestlers followed their coach’s instructions, but “Coach Robinson never told anyone in Athletics administration what the student athletes had self-reported.”

Robinson wrote of the testing process, and guidance he received, in closing his Aug. 30 letter to Coyle: “The [investigation] report is filled with excuses for the University’s failure to act and masks the lack of adequate policy guidance and support to assist coaches in addressing situations involving and helping student athletes with drug issues.”

In the final missive of a contentious summer, Coyle sent a letter Wednesday to Robinson, saying Robinson has “not accepted responsibility or expressed remorse for your conduct. As a result, I cannot trust you to refrain from such conduct in the future. … Coaches cannot decide to conceal knowledge of misconduct and attempt to handle matters on their own. …

“Given your conduct, your refusal to obey my directives, and your failure to accept responsibility for your actions, you can no longer continue in your position as Head Coach.”

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Crazy Ted posted:

Actually this kind of rules.

The great thing about this is that we're already seeing allegations that these wrestlers are Crisis Actors or Democrat Plants or Paid By Soros or Whatever Bad Thing You Want To Call Them

If I know my college wrestlers, I’d guess that most of them are fairly conservative, which makes this another example of people getting hosed over by exactly the type of people they support in the Republican Party (ala some of Roy Moore’s victims)

The Iowa wrestlers actually got on stage with Trump during the election, which caused the NCAA to have a hissy.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

AsInHowe posted:

USA Gymnastics will now turn to the next person on their list, Lou Anna Simon.

nah, she doesn't have any gymnastics specific experience

now you know who's got loads of gymnastics experience and is currently looking for a job?

gently caress this "ARE TROOPS" bullshit excuse, just knowing someone who died in military service doesn't give you the right to denigrate someone making a stand (pun not intended) for what they believe in because they're not sacrificing enough or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Vagabundo posted:

Every time MSU does something to make us all go "well, they couldn't have handled this any worse," it's like they take it as a challenge and try to outdo themselves in a game of one-downmanship.

At this point, I'm wondering if it's going to end with MSU changing their school motto to some sort of pro-rape screed.

Michigan State University
Illa quam meruit ferat