Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

I'm not sure what the appropriate governing body is here, but it's pretty clear at this point that the Athletic Department as a whole and the University completely failed to provide a safe environment for their students and children in their care.

The Athletic Department has seen no punishment and John Engler is there specifically to limit the punishment Michigan State gets. The university agreed to a 500 million dollar settlement but that cost is almost assured to come out of tuition or fee increases from the students they're supposed to protect. If the NCAA is not the appropriate body to take action when an athletic department has no oversight and allows a house of horrors to operate as a "missing stair," who is?

And this is a couple of pages ago, but members of the track and field teams were among the victims in addition to the gymnasts and softball players. I would bet there were a large number of students from every sport MSU offers referred to Nassar for treatment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Meanwhile, the Attorney General in this state is using congressional testimony where his opponent is detailing her own sexual assault in political attack ads as he runs for Governor.

There's a laundry list of people who deserve no less than a medieval set of stocks and pillory for their actions and deliberate inaction.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Their entire athletic department should be eradicated, at minimum.

Every trustee should be forced out, at minimum.

John Engler should be fired into the loving sun.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Why in the gently caress is that clown still president of MSU

Why in the gently caress did Michigan make that hire when they can basically go anywhere in the world and get someone

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/education/2019/01/13/regents-university-michigan-gymnastics-coach-nassar-scandal/2566436002/

quote:

"The University of Michigan should get rid of a new gymnastics coach with ties to the Larry Nassar scandal, members of the school's governing body told the Free Press on Sunday.

"I do not support the hiring of Rhonda Faehn, and believe the university should end its relationship with her," said Regent Mark Bernstein.

Regent Denise Ilitch also expressed concerns about the hiring.

"Much to my chagrin, I learned of this employment decision this past Saturday morning. I appreciate the wise observations made by many and share their disappointment," she told the Free Press.

Fellow Regent Jordan Acker, who was elected this November to the board, agreed Faehn needed to go.

"I appreciate the input I have received from the people of Michigan and the survivor community and believe this contract should be terminated immediately."

At least U of M's regents are less horrible than MSU's even if their gymnastics programs are similarly dumb and thoughtless.

Update: Michigan fired the Nassar lady.

Neodoomium fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jan 14, 2019

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

lol Michigan fired that lady and now their gymnasts are pissed because apparently THIS ONE was only at the USAG a week prior to the Nassar stuff and may not be as culpable?

I don't think they should have even bothered with anyone remotely near that situation but now everyone's mad all over again at a different school!

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

mgobrian's take on it is as simplistic as it always is (She did what she was supposed to as a mandatory reporter and is now getting railroaded), but the fact of the matter is that she was told in advance and did not do enough. We don't let Paterno off the hook for it, Faehn shouldn't be given a pass either.

Michigan hosed up and own-goaled this because now instead of not ever talking to her and hiring her, they've pissed off everyone who thinks she shouldn't work with athletes again AND the gymnasts on the team that decided to set aside what she did or did not do in pursuit of their athletic development.

Excellent gymnastics coach, awful manager of human beings.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

It's worth reminding you all at this juncture that Engler has overseen over a billion dollars paid out to sexual assault survivors now between Michigan State and Michigan's Department of Corrections, which had a massive problem with female inmates getting raped by guards.

And yet he continues to get work.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

https://twitter.com/DanMurphyESPN/status/1085692759565045762

This loving guy

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

"In August 2018, the NCAA issued a report noting that it found no NCAA rules violations pertaining to MSU's actions regarding Nassar nor with the university's response to sexual assault and violence reports made against football and basketball players."

You don't say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

MSU's new president fired the horrific lawyer/former MI supreme court justice that Engler hired and gave $350,000/yr to

This was the guy who advised MSU to destroy documents and withhold them from investigators