Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
wanna go on record saying I've thought gymnastics were creepy as poo poo for years, basically since every olympics where NBC runs promo videos glowing about how great the Karolyis are for requiring 16 hour work days from preteen girls who'd been signed away by very strange parents

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Jack's Flow posted:

I remember reading about Simone Biles two years ago, and even back then (in what was supposed to be a positive story) the Karolyis sounded like awful people. Simone Biles is the best in the world in what she does, but I still felt sorry for all the girls after reading that piece.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/05/30/simone-biles-is-the-best-gymnast-in-the-world

lol lovin' the red flags every few sentences

quote:

She compares the process of getting into shape for competition as “repeatedly convincing yourself you aren’t going to die.”

quote:

“I think you’re sweet, but if you screw with her mind I will kill you. You can screw with her mind after the Olympics, but not before. I’ve got enough to deal with.”

etc

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Nah better for everyone he doesn't get a swing in there. Racking up an assault charge doesn't unmolest your daughters.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

ego symphonic posted:

Not to paint with broad strokes, but this guy I know nothing about is definitely a piece of poo poo because of his daughters' favorite sport.

nah he's right those parents always come off like they're trying to get into an exclusive cult

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
You'll have a hard time convincing me that every homeschooled kid I ever met wasn't a weirdo with social problems in always the same kind of way, and the ones whose parents hired special trainers for the fringe sports weren't a distinct subset.

You know that guy's just extra angry because he ignored his daughters' hints that they didn't want to be doing all the activities he was pressuring them into doing. Going violent with the guilt doesn't make him world's greatest dad to me.

the way people fetishize extrajudicial punishment ("hell yeah now the bad guy will get BEATEN and RAPED in jail!!") is somewhere between childish and evil

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

swickles posted:

So is assuming anything about that guy and his parenting.

are you the guy? why do you care if I think he's probably an rear end in a top hat

Cool Buff Man posted:

What the hell are you doing Evan

Bein' cynical. The dude wouldn't have been able to rape a whole lot of kids without complicity left and right, including from parents. I've met a few people who were slightly-below Olympic level competing in individual sports, and there were universally headcases who'd been pushed into it and hated it and usually themselves and regretted the whole thing. It never sounded like supportive parenting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Niwrad posted:

I think that would be a really satisfying assault charge. And I don't think the local DA would really push for much punishment.

I'm sayin' that's juvenile. Watching their dad bash a shackled man's face against a bench a few times doesn't unmolest the kids. "Don't worry girls, papa sunk his fists into the guy who was already going to prison for the rest of his life so now everything else that happened is made okay"

and then maybe while you were in jail overnight starting to wonder if you might've broken your hand, maybe then you'd start to wonder what Nassar's lawyers could do for his sentencing if they could argue that the court was impartial or functioning improperly because it deliberately brought in his accusers' relatives and allowed them to attack him...