Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Crazy Ted posted:

Aside from that, not much is reported about mistreatment in youth sports academies even though it is a rapidly increasing problem. Here in the United States, recent years have seen a rise in "prep schools" that take in foreign students under the guise of helping them to receive D1 college scholarships, only for the students to be forced to live in cramped, unsafe conditions on forged papers while receiving almost nothing in the way of an education. Traveling sports are covering younger and younger age groups, to the point where parents are encouraged to have seven-or-eight-year-old kids specialize in one sport in order to try out for a traveling youth sports team. Scam football academies in Africa, and sometimes in Europe, "offer" children the chance to impress a big European team, only for many to end up destitute and helpless.

I think we can discuss both the Nassar case and general mistreatment of children in athletics here, because in the upcoming weeks I have no doubt that we'll see quite a few new horror stories uncovered.

You should read Passan's book if you haven't, it goes way into detail about this happening in baseball and how it's ruining the lives for parents and careers of teenagers. I'm only bringing this up because I can't process the MSU thing and need to think about something slightly less depressing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Oh and it was still going on after they arrested Nassar

quote:

The dean held power and was willing to wield it. He routinely glared at women sexually, made them spin around for him and suggested he send them nude photos or engage in sexual acts in exchange for preferential treatment from him, according to prosecutors. He reminded them of his might and their vulnerability – young students piling on debt who could fail to graduate and thus have no doctor’s salary to eventually pay off their loans.

“I hold your entire future in my hand and I can do whatever I want with it,” Strampel told one alleged victim. On multiple occasions, he allegedly told her to present herself to him so he could see her body. Once was in a group setting. To another female student, he allegedly requested she stand and turn around before him while stating, “What do I have to do to teach you to be submissive and subordinate to men?”

Just shut down the whole school, distribute its assets to all directional Michigans.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

The equivalent would be a congressional investigation, I think? This definitely deserves a congressional investigation.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

mdemone posted:

I guess so, but that phrasing really smelled like "nobody reported it from 1997 to 2016 but now we've got 332 complaints over the last two years, hmmm isn't that funny..."

Wow, the same logic my dad uses to say Cosby is innocent