Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FreshCutFries

Do you have anxiety about social situations or just general things? I've known a few people, including myself, that thought they might be on the autism spectrum before realizing all the issues went away when we started treating our anxiety disorders. Not to imply your not autistic or anything, I just think the similar presentations of symptoms is interesting and have never heard from the other side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreshCutFries

Yeah, anxiety and depression seem to be tightly entwined with each other. I tried therapy for a while, and it didn't help. Then I tried doing it myself; I took up daily meditation, tried to put myself into uncomfortable situations to get used to them, kept a log of all my thoughts, etc., and it didn't help. Then I finally caved and admitted I needed to be on medication and got on an SSRI and Xanax. The Xanax I only need occasionally, but the SSRI has changed my entire life. I'm not sure why your doctor would say she can't help with anxiety. There's a lot of reasons I can think she might have said that. And, also you know, I'm not a doctor.

And yeah, I had the same issues with self-medicating with weed, and I feel the same as you that the problem with it stems mostly from instant gratification. Making instant but fleeting gratification a regular habit is a real bad way to ask to be miserable down the line. I managed to ditch the habit before getting on the SSRI and that did improve things a bit actually.

The fun thing about being mentally ill is that nobody seems to have any idea what is really happening with anyone. I've been diagnosed as bipolar, major depressive, "only lacking discipline," and having mixed anxiety depressive disorder by a slew of different doctors.

• Locked thread