Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
I'm still in contact with a few hotshot crews and it is not good out there, be careful everyone

Their version of social distancing is opening a door for ventilation while they work out inside

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Aw yea digging line going direct. Air support is nice

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Uhm yea fire does well when you get rolling and get your full 16 and break 1k OT. But then you get poo poo rolls and seasons where you get held in region for months and do project work for weeks and barely break 350-400 OT and that is most definitely not a bazillion dollars.

It's really not as common as it used to be and it depends on your region and your supe's abilities to get you to fires

Harry Potter on Ice fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jul 18, 2020

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Telsa Cola posted:

It is highly dependent on where you are, yes. But shits always on fire here and we have archaeologists drop out of projects all the time to work fires because they pay is way better.

Thats just my experience though.

They should pay archaeologists a lot more, that's sad. We had a cool archeologist on our crew, it was pretty awesome hanging out with him in crazy places in the south west US. I learned a lot, he very accurately ID'd an arrowhead I found which was so cool to me

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

sparkmaster posted:

How has it taken me this long to find this thread?

Ex-firefighter (still do the pack test if just to qualify for the discounts), current office goon. Mostly play with aircraft and helicopters from the office these days.

Its dead in my area firewise, so I'm prepping for a 30 day assignment to somewhere. Broke 1000 OT last year, hoping for the same now!

Still does pack test, plays with aircraft.. are there other jumper goons? That would blow my mind

Edit nvm you got 1k OT you arent jumping

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

A White Guy posted:

My WUI patrol experience: welcome to the land of locked gates, thousand dollar per thirty feet fences, and customers with properties that are a jungle of cedars telling me that any slash left behind was a "major fire hazard".

I'm actually starting to like the people who fly Trump flags in their front yard because they don't give a poo poo about what I mark for removal. I offered a guy free wood removal on a 40" DBH oak tree and he turned it down because "Oh, I've got a Stihl 660, I can buck it up". Alright my dude, have fun with that.

He has a big magnum that sounds like a ton of fun and why would I give you a shitload of good wood? That goes down so quick lol, of course he wouldn't take that

Hes literally hoping for trees that big with that saw. You go out of your way to cut stuff like that if you're about that life and own a 660

Harry Potter on Ice fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jul 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

A White Guy posted:

It's not littering, it's historical trash!

I had a tree get no-worked because it was inside of a old dump site with incredible historical and archaeological value.

Post+user name is pretty gross, but hard to expect anymore these days I guess

Obviously gently caress leaving trash behind

Harry Potter on Ice fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jul 27, 2020