Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Strangest Finch
Nov 23, 2007

I'm a firefighter with a conservation nonprofit in Georgia. So while I'm very much not a government employee (despite a distressing number of people being just sure that we're the government and that therefore they have some level of say in what we do on our landscapes) I am tied in with a massive amount of Land Management work (mostly using fire). We own or help manage just about everything nice in this state and have somehow managed to convince the locals that we're not all deadbeat hippies that should be run out of town.

I did do a service year with Americorps way back when, but admittedly that was more to have a place to live for a year than with the expectation that it would actually do anything for my career. The biggest benefits were:

1) Getting a poo poo-ton of fire training (which had more to do with the Burn Boss I was nominally working for than Americorps).

2) Giving me enough exposure to the federal system to know I had basically no interest in trying to climb that ladder.

Post-Americorps I went back to school and picked up a Masters in Environmental Conservation (The Americorps money was at least good for paying my administration fees -- though a real job would have done that much easier) and parlayed that into a position with The Nature Conservancy in MD lighting fires and schlepping surveying equipment through wetlands. I spent about three years as a nomadic seasonal -- since its always fire season somewhere in the US -- but managed to more or less settle down south almost two years ago.

I still don't have much urge to go work the suppression side of things, even if I didn't think that the suppression mindset is dangerously outdated and ecologically idiotic, I have a poo poo ton more fun working ignitions and have killer benefits. I will admit that fire-retirement does look pretty great, but I basically missed that boat anyhow.

Worst On Team posted:

Just started my position with the USFS as a Timber and Natural Resource Management Intern. I'm working out of the George Washington and Jefferson National Forests. This poo poo is pretty awesome. Already set up to drive govies, working on getting my certs for tractors and UTVs, then getting the red card, chainsaw, and a bit further down the line, pesticides and herbicides. I'm also eyeballing some helicopter crew courses, but we'll have to see how that shakes out. It's going to be an educational 44 weeks. If anyone has any courses or certs that they'd recommend hit me up with them.

Are you getting both required classes for Helitack (S-270 and S-271)? If not, make sure to keep an eye out for S-271. I've yet to meet someone who hasn't loved helitack... at least for a season to two. Beyond that look towards S-211 (Pumps) and IS-200 (The next step in the FEMA training bullshit).

The Strangest Finch fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Sep 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Strangest Finch
Nov 23, 2007

poo poo, at the point where you've got a 660 you might just have an Alaskan Mill lying around somewhere.