Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

So I just found out about this forum from the announcements. I work for NPS as a bio science tech, keeping an eye on shorebirds and sea turtles :) Our first nest is due to hatch any day now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Lots of really good people, but not a good agency.

That’s been my general read of NPS as well, but I’m still new (I’ve worked for NPS for almost a year and a half, at 2 different parks in the SER).

I just don’t know where else I would fit in, I can get most of the isolation that I love by retreating into a wildlife enclosure and doing observations (despite getting pooped on by at least 8 different birds today :argh: )

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Same rule applies to shipwrecks. Sank more than 50 years ago? Not salvage anymore!

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

treat posted:

I can't imagine how depressing doing this sort of work East of the Mississippi would be.

I work monitoring shorebirds and sea turtles on a tourist beach that has a nudist colony. I get my rear end chewed by boomers wearing nought but a thong more often than I ever want to remember :cry:

Inevitably we get a wiseass that thinks “those birds aren’t even on the endangered species list!!!!” is a savage and witty retort.

migratory species act, you dumb morherfuckers

e: Florida though. Where “YEA I FUCKIN’ GUN, WHAT OF IT?!!!!” is something that comes up when law enforcement is trying to measure your lobsters during mini-season :stonklol:

Icon Of Sin fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Feb 21, 2022

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Good luck to y’all if you’re at Yellowstone. Every entrance is close because the rivers are busy eating the roads right now.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CewsYAmjKTA/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Rise, my friend :twisted:

I’m back to being seasonal for NPS watching shorebirds and sea turtles again. Anybody else going (back) soon? Our other sections’ seasonal staff are supposed to show up this weekend, but the storms here may complicate that.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Nice! I interviewed for a GS 7 seasonal job (didn’t even realize those exist :stare: ), but didn’t get it so I came back to my 4th year as a seasonal here. Pretty sure I was close to getting it, and maybe next year it actually happens :)

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Next season is coming up next week! Last round here for me, it’s feeling like time to move on after this round.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Telsa Cola posted:

Where are ya thinking next?

Idfk. I'm already a unicorn out here (I'm the senior seasonal for the entire park :gonk: ). I kept coming back because I liked the job and had a cool supervisor, but supervisor left and I feel long in the tooth here now. With 5 years here and a new incoming supervisor, I'm going to be the one they lean on a fair bit.

A mountain park sounds nice after this year, though. Maybe the Blue Ridge, or Shenandoah? After 12 years living at the beach (between college and my various non-NPS jobs) I feel the mountains calling me back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I'm a little worried about my depression

Honestly, one of the main reasons I don't want to give up where I am. I get paid to be on a beach, listen to/watch the birds, and keep an eye out for sea turtles (big mamas laying nests, and little ones on their way to the water). There's a certain magic to the coast here that can at least hold the depression at bay enough for me to mostly function, and as soon as I'm away from the beach for any length of time it all comes roaring back hard.