Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Field experience and networking is key, but after a certian point a bachelors or higher degree is needed.

Though Im private sector archaeology so it may vary.

Also yes Fire makes a bazillon dollars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Uhm yea fire does well when you get rolling and get your full 16 and break 1k OT. But then you get poo poo rolls and seasons where you get held in region for months and do project work for weeks and barely break 350-400 OT and that is most definitely not a bazillion dollars.

It's really not as common as it used to be and it depends on your region and your supe's abilities to get you to fires

It is highly dependent on where you are, yes. But shits always on fire here and we have archaeologists drop out of projects all the time to work fires because they pay is way better.

Thats just my experience though.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

treat posted:

Fire is also great if you want to feel the way old 19th century photos of miners and child laborers look. It's been almost 15 years since I last did wildfire and it kicked my rear end hard enough back then, it'd take a lot of drugs to get me through another season digging line today.

Related, the tiny breakdowns people over the smallest things after a week of nonstop work, long hours, and semi lovely food is great.

I had a breakdown last week because I ordered two orders of bread pudding and it came to me as a solid loaf.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Nthing GIS stuff, if you can get the cert and experince take it.

Same with database design stuff.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

The new craze rn with my crew is putting in sleeping platforms in the back of our trucks/cars and I am honestly very tempted and will likely do so on my 6 off.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Dear fire/tree cutting crews,

Stop dropping your trash and braided cables after you cut poo poo down and the like. No one wants to record that poo poo in 40 years

I mean I wanted that today because it was a nice break from surveying in the rain but still. Also I know people are probably better at this then they were in the past.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jul 26, 2020

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Meaty Ore posted:

I could use some job advice. I just finished my anthropology degree this past spring semester, had been looking into a career in CRM and was going to sign up for an archaeology field school, which I understand is a prerequisite for the job everywhere. Problem is, due to COVID-19, all the field schools I had been considering got canceled (I hadn't done one prior to graduation due to the job I had at the time; I had been using all my PTO to attend classes during the school year). I'm at a bit of a loss as to what I sort of jobs I could look for in the mean time that would contribute to a career focused on cultural/environmental preservation.

If you have a BA in anthro there is a fairly good chance a CRM firm will overlook the field school, especially if you explain the situation and have some archaeological experience. What area of the States are you in? Firms around me in the southwest are loving starving for techs.

Also hope you are in shape because survey can absolutely kick your rear end.

I do CRM for a living so ask me whatever.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Aug 3, 2020

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Meaty Ore posted:

I'm in Indiana; that said, I don't mind traveling if needed. As far as archaeology-related classes go, I've had a freshman/sophomore-level intro class, a methods/techniques class, and an osteology class. Unfortunately, the only actual direct experience I had in the methods class was processing lithics; all the other lab/field activities got shelved when the pandemic hit in March and classes were moved online for the rest of the semester, replaced with alternate activities (we had to write up a basic Phase I report given a few parameters to work with, and some practice taking field notes, soil analysis, etc.; all fairly basic stuff that could be done around one's home). I am used to working outside in all weather conditions, however; my previous job was in groundskeeping, and I'm still fairly fit even though I could stand some improvement.

Shovel bumming (traveling for CRM gigs) can be good and necessary sometimes but I'd try to break into something localish if at all possible first. Some companies are not so great on travel pay and you are going to have an easier time getting hired locally.

Lithic experience is good and you should be able to find resources on basic ceramic identification concepts. I would also really recommend you look up information on historic cans and bottles and get familiar with HIT cans, HIC cans, and glass company maker marks.

I know you mentioned that your methods class had lots of things shelved but were you able to get some mapping/compass experience? If not, its okay, in my experience people are more than willing to show you the ropes. Its definitely something thats nice to have before hand though.

Good to hear you are used to working outside, definitely mention that.

My advice to you is to see if your professor or any classmate of yours has contacts with any CRM firms and try to get your foot in the door8th that way.

I would also apply to various CRM firms in your area and just be honest about your situation with regards to the fieldschool poo poo.

Generally companies keep three lists. They have a greenie list of people who have applied and have never worked a project, a white list of tried and true techs who have worked with them before and basically get hired asap, and a blacklist of fuckups. Unless you get in via networking you are going to have to get on the greenie list of a bunch of companies and hope they need techs. Once you get some experience under your belt you basically get on every companies whitelist (archeology is a small community and everyone talks).

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Aug 3, 2020

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

treat posted:

I'm licensed to record, collect, and tow around smelly raptor corpses until I can get to a freezer at the lab, and I'm posting from the field to complain about the cruel circumstance that has me only finding them the first morning of an 8 day stint.

So you toss them in a cooler until you hit the lab or?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

treat posted:

Or, I tie it to the back of the UTV and try to drive faster than the wind.

Ah, hows that conversation go when you run into people in the rear end end of nowhere?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Longshoreman X posted:

Anyone else in on the latest round of mass hiring with the Forest Service (recreation and archeology)? Interviewed this morning and I'm hoping that an arch position comes through for me in my corner of south-central Utah. Currently a resource assisstant with the FS but wouldn't mind unlocking some better pay and a TSP.

Not in FS but am a field director for a CRM firm in Northern Arizona. If you do arch in the southwest and need a job the markets really loving hot right now for it. We are bringing people in from the east coast to fill tech positions.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jun 10, 2022

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

treat posted:

We got archeologists in here? Can any of you tell me what this could be? Looks like some sort of giant Equisetum to me.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3935237#post524137499

Thats not... thats not what we do.

You want a paleontologist, or better yet a paleobotanist.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jun 13, 2022

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Spent about half a day shoveling a truck out that got stuck because it is too fat for our line of work.

Least I got paid and made OT :toot:

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Meaty Ore posted:

Since my last post in here I've gotten a job as a field tech for an environmental/CRM services firm. I'm really enjoying it so far, even if it is only part time at the moment.

Congrats, CRM is the way (until your knees give out). Hopefully they have you doing SCA wage projects and have a decent per diem.

Looks like I may be (hopefully, knock on wood) be moving up to project management soon. Field directing is nice, but kinda hard to have a life when you are basically camping for a little more than half the year. I also hosed up my knee on the Cibola last year, which was a bit of a wake up call.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Apr 12, 2023

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Icon Of Sin posted:

Next season is coming up next week! Last round here for me, it’s feeling like time to move on after this round.

Where are ya thinking next?

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Mar 24, 2024

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Well, I finally got the promotion I have been wanting for awhile so my field work days may soon be mostly over.

It's a bit of a pay cut due to losing out on the sweet sweet per diem, but I'm not yet thirty and my knees are fairly shot at this point after about sixish years of non-stop survey work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Field work can definitely be nice but we work year round and I was literally out of the house and camping 208 days a year so it came down to fun questions like "Why the gently caress am I paying rent" and "How do I date someone/maintain a relationship" when im gone that long.

So after a couple years of that I'm happy to do office work for a bit and go out with the crews once a project to check in on things.