Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Whatup thread.
I do fish squeezing on big rivers in Colorado and Utah. Managed to make a career out of it, and I've worked for GBI/USFWS, state of Arkansas, Colorado Parks and Wildlife, USGS, and a couple universities. I hire a crew of (mostly) university students every summer, so I may have some insight on getting jobs or can at least say "Yeah that fuckin sucks," depending on how the job market is.

I could use some job advice. I just finished my anthropology degree this past spring semester, had been looking into a career in CRM and was going to sign up for an archaeology field school, which I understand is a prerequisite for the job everywhere. Problem is, due to COVID-19, all the field schools I had been considering got canceled (I hadn't done one prior to graduation due to the job I had at the time; I had been using all my PTO to attend classes during the school year). I'm at a bit of a loss as to what I sort of jobs I could look for in the mean time that would contribute to a career focused on cultural/environmental preservation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

Telsa Cola posted:

If you have a BA in anthro there is a fairly good chance a CRM firm will overlook the field school, especially if you explain the situation and have some archaeological experience. What area of the States are you in? Firms around me in the southwest are loving starving for techs.

Also hope you are in shape because survey can absolutely kick your rear end.

I do CRM for a living so ask me whatever.

I'm in Indiana; that said, I don't mind traveling if needed. As far as archaeology-related classes go, I've had a freshman/sophomore-level intro class, a methods/techniques class, and an osteology class. Unfortunately, the only actual direct experience I had in the methods class was processing lithics; all the other lab/field activities got shelved when the pandemic hit in March and classes were moved online for the rest of the semester, replaced with alternate activities (we had to write up a basic Phase I report given a few parameters to work with, and some practice taking field notes, soil analysis, etc.; all fairly basic stuff that could be done around one's home). I am used to working outside in all weather conditions, however; my previous job was in groundskeeping, and I'm still fairly fit even though I could stand some improvement.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

Since my last post in here I've gotten a job as a field tech for an environmental/CRM services firm. I'm really enjoying it so far, even if it is only part time at the moment.