Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I'm a Park Ranger with my city's Parks and Recreation department, but my job is pretty tame and I'm not really in your 'cool kids wildland bearfighter' club. I unfortunately get stuck in the office and front gate booth a lot. It's chill as heck right now, doing a lot of reading and studying at work, but will pick up a lot during summer.

I'd love to get a position with the state doing more conservation stuff. Unfortunately, that state is Florida, FWC is pretty picky, as EVERYONE wants to be a state ranger conservation ninja airboat pirate. And I don't have a relevant degree.

Hope you don't mind if I camp in the corner here and rage about idiots stepping on the very delicate dune ecosystem that saves us from hurricanes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

A White Guy posted:

I hear a lot of people in the CCC say "I wanna be a ranger". Can you tell me a little about how you got in your job?

And yes, California has its own dune ecosystems that people are a-ok with utterly annihilating in the name of OHVs. We do a lot of work on beaches trying to stabilize dunes. You'd think doing restoration work at beach would be fun but it sucks fatty donger to carry straw bales up the side of a dune face.

I saw a position opening on the city's website, applied, did an ancient viking luck ritual, interveiwed, got a rejection e-mail, moped, got another e-mail asking "lol nm can you start Monday".

My education is in art and design, but my most recent work experience had been in volunteer coordination and agriculture.

Basically, see if your local big city has a Parks and Recreation department, watch it like a hawk. Apply for anything that's vaguely outdoors, because once you're in, you generally get first dibs on other openings. Don't forget stuff like mosquito control, animal control, surveying, sanitation, and all sorts of other stuff get you at least outdoors, and in the system. And IGNORE those bachelor degree requirements, relevant experience is fine. Just have at least an associates. County level openings could also be a good bet. And don't be afraid to apply for stuff that's not open, they keep those resumes and are obligated to interview.

gently caress people who ruin dunes. Do like the Spanish settlers did, and seed them all with prickly pear.

thatguy posted:

can't recommend you giving up on federal jobs enough, unless you have high vet preference scores or at the very least a master's degree and you're willing to wait 2-3 years making $14.50 an hour 4 months a year and laid off the rest.

Yeah, I've got no realistic aspersions for federal level stuff. State level FWC would be nice though. But I dunno if I'll be staying in Florida for more then a few more years. I'm really enjoying the public sector though, I really enjoy interacting with visitors and working outside. If I don't stay with the city, I'd like to move on to something similar, maybe being a docent, tour guide, or maybe working at a campground. Campers are fun people, they have good snacks.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Feb 5, 2018

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
A co-worker reminded me that many state Forestry and Agriculture departments are also a good bet for ranger-type work. Many state forests and areas of special interest need patrolling and maitnence. Firefighting and controlled burns in forests is a big responsability.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Telsa Cola posted:

The new craze rn with my crew is putting in sleeping platforms in the back of our trucks/cars and I am honestly very tempted and will likely do so on my 6 off.

I have a sleeping platform in my truck cap I use for camping. It's fairly comfortable with a small air mattress, plenty of room. It also breaks down to increase storage. I would reccomend a high top cap though, I have a low top and can't sit up all the way on the platform, it's fairly annoying. But the design was fairly simple, one sheet of plywood and two two by fours was all I needed.

https://youtu.be/RmVR6Ta74aE

Or just get a low cot, that seems really popular.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

thatguy posted:

the loving cat dealer tricked me into buying 2, as soon as I saw them plopped down I immediately got a feeling of dread

You have to get young cats in pairs so they don't get lonely. Try adopting an older one next time.