Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Worst On Team
Aug 8, 2018

12 pints of liquid courage
I'm currently putting in applications for 45 week internships with the US Forest Service through AmeriCorps/Mt Adams Institute. Hoping to end up in VA, but have a few back up positions available in IL. Anybody have any tips or experience with an internship?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worst On Team
Aug 8, 2018

treat posted:

What are your thoughts on slavery/indentured servitude?

I'm pretty open to it. I think deep down I'm looking to recreate my misery in the USMC. I'm also not making any money right now (other than my VA disability for tinnitus and ptstd), so even if I'm just making their lovely stipend and my GI Bill (GI Bill Apprenticeship ($900), lovely stipend (900), Housing (500), and VA Disability 1000 (~3300 a month ), I don't really mind. If I get this internship, sleeping on the dirt and "paying my dues" is fine. Hell, that's kind of what I'm hoping for.

I'm really looking to get my foot in the door here, this is the work that I want to do, but right now getting a traditional education isn't really going to work for me, so this looks like it's my way in.

Thanks for the insight!

Worst On Team
Aug 8, 2018

Thanks for the input. What would you recommend in stead?

Worst On Team
Aug 8, 2018

thatguy posted:

State DNR, state parks, even municipal will all have some kinds of internship programs of some kind. You'll likely be some state parks scumlord making 25k a year to start off with, but your housing will already be paid for and there will be a clear pathway up to managing a large piece of property (especially if you're in the state DNR). You'll be able to do fire management, wildlife management, recreation, just about anything if you want to focus on one thing.

I mean I don't want to talk too much poo poo about how bad off the USFS is, but it's a tiny agency of the USDA (most people don't even know the difference between the USFS and the NPS), and 35% of the US population has been indoctrinated since reagan that federal service = government waste. Routinely we work for USFS people who refuse to retire solely because they know their job positions will go unfilled once they leave. It's loving pathetic.

Thanks again. I'm not 100% attached to a federal position, and wouldn't mind a state position. A big portion of me wanting to go with this federal internship is that it gets me out of Maryland, and most recently I've found out that I can use my GI Bill in conjunction with this position (under the Serve America Act with BAH based out of DC), I'll be raking in a bit of nontaxable income.

I knew things were bad at the FS as far as mobility and positions, but I guess I didn't think they were that bad.

Worst On Team
Aug 8, 2018

Just started my position with the USFS as a Timber and Natural Resource Management Intern. I'm working out of the George Washington and Jefferson National Forests. This poo poo is pretty awesome. Already set up to drive govies, working on getting my certs for tractors and UTVs, then getting the red card, chainsaw, and a bit further down the line, pesticides and herbicides. I'm also eyeballing some helicopter crew courses, but we'll have to see how that shakes out. It's going to be an educational 44 weeks. If anyone has any courses or certs that they'd recommend hit me up with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worst On Team
Aug 8, 2018

thatguy posted:

Which district? We're working out of natural bridge atm, that's why I was asking.

A day late and a dollar short, but Natural Bridge Station/Buena Vista (Glenwood-Pedlar).

I've really enjoyed my 7 months here. I've trapped and relocated beavers, done bird surveys, lots of sawing, timber marking, no rec (i hate people), some minor trail clearance, pesticide spraying, planting and maintaining wildlife clearings. I've been on a fire detail out to Texas (I saw no fire of note) but just last week, we got a few fires, one of which was in a wilderness area and I was one of the first people on scene.

I've been introduced to our local Hotshot sup, and I'm hoping to get a direct hire via VRA, if that doesn't work out I've seasonal fire positions applied for.

The only downside of this program is that it is less than a year, so it doesn't provide the experience needed for a GS-4, unless you have previous specialized experience or can get someone to use a direct hire authority.