Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

My people.

I went to grad school so that I could work outdoors in public land management, but somehow I got roped into university teaching. So now I get to teach the folks who do all the fun work. I'm not very plugged in on the professional side of things, but I might be able to help if you're interested in the college part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

thatguy posted:

How closely does your university work with land trusts and conservancies and the like?

Not that closely, but we're a land grant school, so we sort of do that internally, so to speak.. But I'm sure we have tons of informal connections through faculty relationships, student projects, and alumni employment, etc. We post plenty of land trust positions on our job board.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

thatguy posted:

I live near clemson, which is another land grant university and I'm both looking to network for jerbs but way more I'm looking for allies trying to get a bike network project off the ground in the upstate of SC, and the local imba chapter is both too far away and not particularly effective. Theres a lot of state and public lands there, but I've never navigated through the advocacy side of things when I'm trying to get something done that I wont necessarily be working on. Its infuriating to me since asheville is the eastern mecca of biking and South Carolina has both more contiguous land and it's less developed, yet is a black hole for developed rec.

Hmm. I helped out a bit with some MTB trail projects here, but the majority of the work was done by the local SORBA chapter. The city parks department was happy enough to give them access to some undeveloped park land as long as SORBA raised the money and did the work. I remember there being a good bit of out-of-town interest in the project just because people were happy to have another regional trail destination. All I can think of is cold contacting the landholders, Clemson's PRTM department, and any regional trail/conservancy organizations that might be relevant, but it sounds like you're already on that. If you can find an interested landowner, you might be able to source volunteer labor from college kids who need trailbuilding experience and bikers who want trails. You'd probably still need to raise money to hire an actual trail builder though.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Yeah, the Southeast is really playing catch-up right now wrt trail networks. Local municipalities are starting to see the value, but they have so little money to spare. And then paved walking/cycling trails (greenway and rail-to-trail) get the most attention because they reach the most people. I'm a little surprised there isn't more interest in your area, but maybe everyone's just waiting for someone to connect them.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I was just there earlier this week (visiting, not working). The weather was chaotic the entire time, so I'm not surprised, even though this is apparently unprecedented.