Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Talking Pain into suiciding to undo all of the actual drama and development of the last few months of plot was the low point of the whole series and the point when I stopped caring. It seems like I picked the right time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

It really should've been Iruka who jumped in the way to save Naruto's life. Him being permanently forever dead like Jiraya would make a lot more sense since that's someone who Naruto really cared about and he was like the first person who didn't immediately treat him like poo poo from day 1 I think?

Also, man the eight tails is some poo poo, it ran out of energy within seconds of the nine tails doing so.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

RareAcumen posted:

It really should've been Iruka who jumped in the way to save Naruto's life. Him being permanently forever dead like Jiraya would make a lot more sense since that's someone who Naruto really cared about and he was like the first person who didn't immediately treat him like poo poo from day 1 I think?

Also, man the eight tails is some poo poo, it ran out of energy within seconds of the nine tails doing so.

Iruka hated Naruto too, for a little bit. It's just that he worked out that was stupid very fast.

Also Iruka taking the blow for Naruto again would be a nice book end, given one of the earliest and most memorable scenes is Iruka taking a giant shuriken in the back to protect Naruto.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Talking Pain into suiciding to undo all of the actual drama and development of the last few months of plot was the low point of the whole series and the point when I stopped caring. It seems like I picked the right time.

I agree and disagree, the way it was handled was terrible yes. But Naruto talking to his enemies and empathising with them is a personal trait that has consistently been a strong point of him. It's why Gaara stopped being a psycho after all, and Haku/Zabuza was a moment where it ended up being somewhat useful, not totally but somewhat.

Naruto convincing Pein he was wrong and to fix his grave mistake is not terrible, it's just presented like utter poo poo.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

Iruka hated Naruto too, for a little bit. It's just that he worked out that was stupid very fast.

Also Iruka taking the blow for Naruto again would be a nice book end, given one of the earliest and most memorable scenes is Iruka taking a giant shuriken in the back to protect Naruto.

Oh, well fair enough. All I remember from the early episodes was Naruto being babysat by him and some other dude in black shades. I didn't even start watching the show at the first episode, I got like, Kakashi's bell test to start. Either Toonami was weird or I just caught them at bad points.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The first episode was Iruka realizing "Hey, maybe us neglecting this guy is what's making him such a fuckup. He needs a supportive figure."

White Coke
May 29, 2015

RareAcumen posted:

Also, I was really down with the Guruguru thing last episode cuz it explained how Obito was so loving strong but now he's just like that all the time?

Him wearing a homunculus the whole time being the explanation was pretty cool.

He's still got a homunculus arm, plus now he has a Rinnegan, so he's got another bullshit eye.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
FutureFriend is oddly prescient about rocks. I count making the rocks fall out from under the 10 tails a rock.

e: I keep loving up so I'll just leave it at that because everything I know about this game is a spoiler

Bible Ian Black fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Feb 27, 2018

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Lord_Magmar posted:

Also Hinata once told Naruto she was obsessed with him with her dying breath, I don't remember if he actually heard it though. Apparently Naruto is only allowed to hear that Hinata likes him when it's from dying people.
She didn't actually die when Pain stabbed her, iirc. I'm pretty sure the very next chapter established that.

(and then everyone got brought back to life anyway, so I don't know why the author bothered, but :shrug:)

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

U.T. Raptor posted:

She didn't actually die when Pain stabbed her, iirc. I'm pretty sure the very next chapter established that.

(and then everyone got brought back to life anyway, so I don't know why the author bothered, but :shrug:)

Naruto thought she was dead, and that's what matters.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

U.T. Raptor posted:

Oh geez this reminds me that at the end of this I've gotta dig up the "Hyuuga family conspiracy to make Naruto hook up with Hinata" theory/chart.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

homeless hungry plz help posted:

Oh geez this reminds me that at the end of this I've gotta dig up the "Hyuuga family conspiracy to make Naruto hook up with Hinata" theory/chart.

I personally think it's literally better than the actual ending stuff, so yes do that.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
That's the "Hiashi's master plan" thing, right? If so, hell yeah, that thing is awesome and hilarious.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

U.T. Raptor posted:

He did have it so that people who were wounded but not killed weren't saved at all, but the only person for who that was relevant was Tsunade.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I just saw that for the first time a couple of months ago and what really strikes me as dumb about it is that apparently he didn't need to suicide*. Like his bestie Konan is right there saying "No you'll burn out your chakra!", but no one ever says the resurrection is a time-sensitive thing, and he's only risking chakra burnout because he burned up basically all of it fighting Naruto. So like, he could've just ate a good meal or caught a power nap or whatever to boost his MP chakra, then resurrected the village, and then Naruto/the village gets the most powerful ally ever as a nice bonus.

*I'm sure it's laid out in gratuitous detail that he totally did need to in the manga, but I didn't read that.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Feb 28, 2018

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

TwoPair posted:

I just saw that for the first time a couple of months ago and what really strikes me as dumb about it is that apparently he didn't need to suicide*. Like his bestie Konan is right there saying "No you'll burn out your chakra!", but no one ever says the resurrection is a time-sensitive thing, and he's only risking chakra burnout because he burned up basically all of it fighting Naruto. So like, he could've just ate a good meal or caught a power nap or whatever to boost his MP chakra, then resurrected the village, and then Naruto/the village gets the most powerful ally ever as a nice bonus.

*I'm sure it's laid out in gratuitous detail that he totally did need to in the manga, but I didn't read that.

Fair enough, the resurrection is a time gated thing, it only revives people killed in like, the last hour or something in a specific area. Also, like most techniques that invoke dead people the revive technique costs something in return. In this case the user kills themselves to resurrect everyone else. Pein might have survived, but his actual body is frail and sick due to a variety of injuries. The giant cross is actually a life-support machine too from memory.

So basically Pein would always kill himself with Chakra Burnout using the technique because that's what it costs to work. Konan is arguing that he shouldn't kill himself for Konoha, Pein chooses to do so anyway because he believes Naruto can become Ninja Jesus and save the world.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

Fair enough, the resurrection is a time gated thing, it only revives people killed in like, the last hour or something in a specific area. Also, like most techniques that invoke dead people the revive technique costs something in return. In this case the user kills themselves to resurrect everyone else. Pein might have survived, but his actual body is frail and sick due to a variety of injuries. The giant cross is actually a life-support machine too from memory.

So basically Pein would always kill himself with Chakra Burnout using the technique because that's what it costs to work. Konan is arguing that he shouldn't kill himself for Konoha, Pein chooses to do so anyway because he believes Naruto can become Ninja Jesus and save the world.

Wow, Kabuto's crazy strong.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

RareAcumen posted:

Wow, Kabuto's crazy strong.

Kabuto is cheating like a motherfucker, but also the Resurrection Jutsu he uses is sacrifice any person for any other person, and Kabuto used a bunch of Zetsu Clones as the sacrfices instead of real people who count for bullshit reasons. It also costs almost no Chakra for the user for reasons unknown, it's "drawback" originally was the people came back weaker but Kabuto worked out how to get around that somehow.

Basically Orochimaru cheated, Kabuto cheated harder.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Mar 1, 2018

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Is this game going to cover the rest of the story? That might explain why they're doing the anime screenshot thing, animating everything in game would take a lot longer. I assume at least, I don't know who much is left.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

This game covers the rest of the Naruto manga, yes (but it came out before the anime was finished).

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Lord_Magmar posted:

Kabuto is cheating like a motherfucker, but also the Resurrection Jutsu he uses is sacrifice any person for any other person, and Kabuto used a bunch of Zetsu Clones as the sacrfices instead of real people who count for bullshit reasons. It also costs almost no Chakra for the user for reasons unknown, it's "drawback" originally was the people came back weaker but Kabuto worked out how to get around that somehow.

Basically Orochimaru cheated, Kabuto cheated harder.

The main drawback was that people would return in the state they were at in death or shortly before. So Madara would have been an old man who couldn't die but wouldn't have otherwise been able to do much of anything. Kabuto managed to bring him back in the prime of his life, but with all the bullshit techniques that he acquired in old age. The other drawback was that people resurrected had to be controlled with seals that aren't part of the technique. While Kabuto could just use the release to kill them again, Madara knew the technique and thus is still around when everyone else Kabuto brought back has been freed. Orochimaru avoided this problem by completely controlling the first two Hokages, but then he had to coordinate all their actions and couldn't use any of their techniques that he was ignorant of. Kabuto compelled people to do what he wanted but left them conscious, which allowed them to try and help the ninjas fighting against them and allowed those who achieved closure to escape from the technique. There was also the case of Itachi who turned against Kabuto once a more powerful mind control technique overwrote Kabuto's control.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

So since I'm a fountain of endless complaining when it comes to Naruto, I'm irked by how pretty much every dude besides Choji and Killer Bee look the same body wise. I wish he was built more like Kenshiro or Tien Shinhan during the Cell Saga.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

RareAcumen posted:

So since I'm a fountain of endless complaining when it comes to Naruto, I'm irked by how pretty much every dude besides Choji and Killer Bee look the same body wise. I wish he was built more like Kenshiro or Tien Shinhan during the Cell Saga.

There's actually some level of body shape difference amongst the guys. The most glaring examples are of course being Kisame, Choji, Killer Bee and Zabuza. But even amonst Naruto's mentors you have relatively normal dude Iruka, Scarecrow Kakashi and broad backed Jiraiya.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I think the problem is that in this arc everybody has the same vest on so it makes them look very very similar. They take a normally colorful cast and dress them in almost all the same outfit.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

TwoPair posted:

I think the problem is that in this arc everybody has the same vest on so it makes them look very very similar. They take a normally colorful cast and dress them in almost all the same outfit.

And the headbands are all the same.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

:siren: SUPER UPDATE TIME! :siren:

Today, we've finished Naruto's path, and so it's time to look at Sasuke's side! And whaddaya know, it's only one video long! After his fight against Kabuto with his revived brother Itachi, Sasuke is at odds with himself. Can he still fight against the Hidden Leaf Village that caused him and his brother so much pain, or can he learn to love the village in the same way that his brother did? Well thankfully he's not alone in this self-reflection, and so it's time to help Sasuke find his resolve and maybe a pardon for his crimes against the village!

I'll upload our video on the side stories in the middle of the week so that next Sunday we can just right into Chapter 2!

Characters Introduced This Episode

Sasuke Uchiha
A former member of the Hidden Leaf Village’s Ninja Team 7 and current wanted war criminal. After a chance encounter with his revived brother Itachi, Sasuke finds himself conflicted in his quest for vengeance against the system that ruined his and his brother's lives. With a little bit of help from his friends, he might just be able to uncover his brother's truth and find the conviction he needs to help save the world.

Suigetsu Hozuki
An ex-prisoner of Orochimaru and a member of Sasuke’s team, the Taka. This thirsty boy could never give up on his friend, and brings a sense of comic relief to his teammates. Just be careful around him, or you may end up in a Soak Zone.

Jugo
An ex-prisoner of Orochimaru and a member of Sasuke’s team, the Taka. Still missing some real clothes, Jugo has been hanging out with Suigetsu while waiting for Sasuke to finish his solo mission. He's still tough, buff, and ready to bash some skulls.

Kabuto Yakushi
Former member of the Hidden Leaf Village, former spy for Sasori, former underling to Orochimaru, former catalyst of the Fourth Great Ninja War, current prisoner to Sasuke. After being caught in an endless trap by Sasuke and Itachi, Kabuto finds himself working with his former allies to put an end to this end-of-the-world scenario he directly caused. Maybe his snake-like abilities can help him sneak his way back into everyone's good graces.

Orochimaru
Guess who's back! A high-ranking rogue ninja from the Hidden Leaf Village, Orochimaru once again used his sealing jutsus to hide away within someone close to him, waiting for just the right moment to revive and rejoin the fight. However, with things getting severely out of hand, it looks like he'll be working for the good guys this time. No more human experiments for this snake man!

Hiruzen Sarutobi
The Third Hokage. After dying trying to stop Orochimaru the first time, it must be awkward for Hiruzen to be revived by him. Still, the Allied Ninja Forces are going to need all the help they can get to face off against Madara, so why not call upon him once again.

Tobirama Senju
The Second Hokage and brother to Hashirama Senju. Tobirama was integral in the development of the Hidden Leaf Village, creating institutions such as the academy as well as the special forces group Anbu. He also developed the Shadow Clone and Reincarnation techniques, inadvertently planting the seeds for both sides of the Fourth Great Ninja War. He shares a deep sense of family with the village and believes in pragmatism.

Karin
An ex-jailer of Orochimaru and a member of Sasuke’s team, the Taka. Although he stabbed her through the chest with a laser in the last game, it seems Karin just can't quit Sasuke. Although she doesn't provide a ton of support outside of medical necessities to the Taka, you can't have a team of just three.

:siren: WOW, A PODCAST! :siren:

YouTube

MP3 Download

In contrast to this Let's Play of a video game based on an anime, it's time to talk about an anime based on a video game! My friend BeamSplashX is a fan of the Devil May Cry series, and so we got together to discuss Devil May Cry the Animated Series, a side-story set before DMC4 and meant to act as a lead-up to that game's release. However, some tone issues and a lot of misunderstandings about the charm of the source material leave this adaptation underwhelming, a collection of neat ideas that fail to deliver. If you've never heard of this before and wonder why, well... here's a three hour discussion that dissects all of that for you.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

There's actually some level of body shape difference amongst the guys. The most glaring examples are of course being Kisame, Choji, Killer Bee and Zabuza. But even amonst Naruto's mentors you have relatively normal dude Iruka, Scarecrow Kakashi and broad backed Jiraiya.

Yeah, I know, you can point out people who look differently when you look at the entire cast (Ay, Jugo, Choji, Bee, Ohnoki) but I'm just saying for the most part people look pretty close now in largely being just a tall skinny dude. Kakashi, Guy, one of the Pains, Tobi, Madara, Kabuto, Itachi, Orochimaru etc.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Oh poo poo, I think that was Anko. That's a face we haven't seen ever in Shippuden because she stopped being relevant shortly after the Chunin Exam.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Waffleman_ posted:

Oh poo poo, I think that was Anko. That's a face we haven't seen ever in Shippuden because she stopped being relevant shortly after the Chunin Exam.

Yup, that was Anko. She was comically mishandled for the entire manga after her introduction.

For those who don't know: Anko all but disappeared from the manga after her introduction, only to pop up again purely to be kidnapped by Kabuto and used as an Orochimaru-chakra-battery. She was one of Orochimaru's students, and received the same Curse Seal as Sasuke and the others, which Orochimaru "hid" a portion of himself in. That's why Orochimaru popped out when Sasuke broke her seal.

I don't think she even showed up again after that scene, until the epilogue.

Schubalts fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Mar 4, 2018

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Schubalts posted:

Yup, that was Anko. She was comically mishandled for the entire manga after her introduction.

And then Boruto happened.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I like how water man is the only one with the appropriate reaction to fighting the three most powerful wizards in the history of their ninja wizard world.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, I know, you can point out people who look differently when you look at the entire cast (Ay, Jugo, Choji, Bee, Ohnoki) but I'm just saying for the most part people look pretty close now in largely being just a tall skinny dude. Kakashi, Guy, one of the Pains, Tobi, Madara, Kabuto, Itachi, Orochimaru etc.

Guy is not actually skinny, he’s broad and ludicrously muscular when you actually see him. Madara Tobi and Itachi are all from a fairly selectively bred clan and still manage some level of difference between them. I do get what you’re saying but I think it’s not that dire all considered.

Kakashi and Orochimaru are also both extremely gaunt, Kakashi is nicknamed the scarecrow because he is legit scary skinny, and Orochimaru is more snake then man.

It also sort of makes sense that tall sort of skinny dude is the general shape of male shinobi, they live healthy active lifestyles and are theoretically skilled at stealth. I do enjoy this discussion though, it distracts me from how much Sasuke’s plot infuriates me. Also huzzah for Tobirama, who wrote over half the fobidden techniques in Konoha’s scroll and is kind of dick.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Lord_Magmar posted:

Also huzzah for Tobirama, who wrote over half the fobidden techniques in Konoha’s scroll and is kind of dick.

More specifically, he invented the forbidden resurrection jutsu that Orochimaru and Kabuto used. You know, the one that requires a living sacrifice.

Also he wanted to genocide the Uchiha.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Jay being :smith: about hearing every new fact about the Naruto plot since he can't remember anything was a riot. Also I'm glad your weird additions are back, I was worried nothing would happen this time because the game seems to be a whole lot better. I doubt there'll be anything as bad as fighting all the tailed beasts like in the last one.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
The Hidden Leaf Village is in the Land of Fire because it symbolizes the union of the Senju clan with the Uchiha.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So I can only assume based on the paths here, that they brought back 4 of the most powerful ninja ever for Sasuke to question two of them at the same time that the massive battle is happening? I mean for God's sake just let 3 of them go try and save lives while the First gives Sasuke his therapy session. I wish someone could take the episodes of Naruto where these bozos are sitting around having flashbacks and pointless sparring then splice them together with scenes of hundreds of no-names getting violently murdered by Madara.

Also I feel bad for the 3rd Hokage. Everyone gets to come back from the dead but you get brought back still old.

Schubalts posted:

Well was he wrong? Which came first, the chicken or the egg the Uchihas being awful and plotting a coup or the village taking action against them? You can pretty much trace like half of the problems in Naruto back to one Uchiha or another...

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Mar 5, 2018

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Also it is in the middle of a huge forest, which the Land of Fire has a lot of. This is why it’s the Land of (Forest) Fire.

Hidden Sand Village is in the Land of Wind, Hidden Cloud Village the Land of Lightning. The only one with a truly direct connection is The Hidden Stone Village in the Land of Rock. Also the Village Pein and Konan are from was the Hidden Rain Village in the Land of Rain. But that’s not one of the Big 5 Villages.

Schubalts posted:

More specifically, he invented the forbidden resurrection jutsu that Orochimaru and Kabuto used. You know, the one that requires a living sacrifice.

The last one at least he never actually tried to do, he just ostracised them. I always thought a better solution to the rebellion that led to the Uchiha Massacre, once we knew the full details, would have been for Sarutobi to announce Itachi as the future Fifth Hokage.

Itachi is talented in the extreme, loyal to the Village and doing so would cause the Uchiha to lose a lot of their reason for planning a rebellion.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Mar 5, 2018

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

There's also the Hidden Sound Village, which doesn't exist, and a lot of weird one-off villages in filler episodes like the Hidden Key Village.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Does the 4th Hoe Cage, Naruto's dad, who is presumably named Daduto, have any connection to the other three other than all of them being leader of the wizards of fire?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Gologle posted:

Does the 4th Hoe Cage, Naruto's dad, who is presumably named Daduto, have any connection to the other three other than all of them being leader of the wizards of fire?

Trained under Jiraiya who trained under the Third. But that’s it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Isn't Jiraiya way weaker than Orochimaru? Does that mean Orochimaru could beat the Hokages on his own without doing reanimation bullshit?

• Locked thread