Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
they talk about it during the post-fight stuff in the anime and it's made from the first hokage's cells iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

TwoPair posted:

So do all the tailed beasts just take off in the end and now the world just has these friendly Godzillas stomping around?

Yes. The only reason they were wrecking stuff before, is because humans kept trying to kill them (which disperses their chakra for a while, until they manifest again) or force them into hosts so they could be used in wars.

RareAcumen posted:

Wait, so Naruto's other arm is one of those Zetsu clone things? I always just assumed that he grew it back because he had the 9-tails' chakra.

Pretty much a Zetsu-arm, yes. Naruto has regeneration, but it's not unlimited.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Schubalts posted:

Pretty much a Zetsu-arm, yes. Naruto has regeneration, but it's not unlimited.

Well he stopped Guy from dying so I wouldn't be surprised if he turned chakra into arm.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

That was from having the Sage of the Six Paths' power.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Schubalts posted:

Yes. The only reason they were wrecking stuff before, is because humans kept trying to kill them (which disperses their chakra for a while, until they manifest again) or force them into hosts so they could be used in wars.

Ok so follow up, Naruto has half the fox in him, but the other half's just hanging out? Isn't that awkward for them? Same question for Killer Bee.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

TwoPair posted:

Ok so follow up, Naruto has half the fox in him, but the other half's just hanging out? Isn't that awkward for them? Same question for Killer Bee.

Naruto regained the other half of the Nine-Tails' chakra and now it just hangs out with Naruto because they're friends. Same with Killer B, the Eight-Tails is still in him.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
That's a relief, I wouldn't want my boy Bee to be separated from his bestie and/or dead

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

:siren: UPDATE TIME! :siren:

Today, it's time to step into the next generation of ninja with Boruto's Tale, a DLC adventure that recounts Boruto: Naruto the Movie! In this first DLC update, we get reintroduced to Ninja World and the new kids who inhabit it! Now in beautiful 1080p!

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I don't know about you, but I saw a lot of extremely cool poo poo in that new intro, so I'm looking forward to FutureFriend's creepy laughter at what he's seeing on the screen.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Gologle posted:

I don't know about you, but I saw a lot of extremely cool poo poo in that new intro, so I'm looking forward to FutureFriend's creepy laughter at what he's seeing on the screen.

uhm my canadian model girlfriend says my laugh is "sexy"... log off, troll

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I can't believe sasuke is loving dead.

edit: I can't decide which I like better, Sasuke knocking up Sakura before leaving to get a pack of cigarettes I mean atone, or him doing his big goodbye at the gates at the end of the game just to sneak back in later for a one night stand then leaving again. Either way Sasuke goes from a piece of poo poo edgelord to a piece of poo poo deadbeat dad, it's great.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I can't believe the author, either of them, didn't consider what it looked like with Sasuke just loving off out of the village and leaving his wife all alone to raise their child. He likely doesn't even pay child support, cus who the gently caress would employ Sasuke "Mass Murderer" Uchiha?

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Gologle posted:

I can't believe the author, either of them, didn't consider what it looked like with Sasuke just loving off out of the village and leaving his wife all alone to raise their child. He likely doesn't even pay child support, cus who the gently caress would employ Sasuke "Mass Murderer" Uchiha?

hey if life has taught me anything its that sasuke's got a good shot at being the advisor for a call of duty game

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

The glasses one (Sarada?) looks like Tina from Bob's Burger

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Gologle posted:

who the gently caress would employ Sasuke "Mass Murderer" Uchiha?

Naruto would totally set him up with a nice government gig. Somebody would point out that he's flushing his own approval rating down the toilet and he'd do it anyway because Naruto is a well established idiot.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Well, here's hoping that Sakura's kid will get some of the spotlight, considering she's got Sasuke as a dad and he's been in the spotlight for so long that he's actually starting to merge with it.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Jun 20, 2018

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

There was an entire short pilot series between the movie and the manga proper were Sarada was basically the main character.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Plus, Sarada inherited the Sharingan so unless all the new bad guys get anti-Sharingan super eyes, she's more or less guaranteed a bigger role than Sakura.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I can't believe Sarada unlocked the Sharingan's secret healing powers and became the team's medic.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

TwoPair posted:

Naruto would totally set him up with a nice government gig. Somebody would point out that he's flushing his own approval rating down the toilet and he'd do it anyway because Naruto is a well established idiot.

Naruto wants Sasuke to succeed him as Hokage.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

There was an entire short pilot series between the movie and the manga proper were Sarada was basically the main character.

Yea, the first manga part of Boruto was pretty much all about Sarada and her family situation. Was Mitsuki was even in that beyond a cameo like the other kids?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

White Coke posted:

Naruto wants Sasuke to succeed him as Hokage.

I'm sure you're serious but honestly that sounds like a joke. I can't wait for his resignation/retirement speech. "My fair villagers, I may be quitting but don't worry, my best friend War Crime Batman will take my place in leading our village to a bright future!"

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I believe once you enter the Ho Kage, you're there till death.

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gologle posted:

I believe once you enter the Ho Kage, you're there till death.

The 3rd Hokage gave it to Naruto's dad then he took it back after Dadrouto died. I So guess you can abdicate the ninja throne whenever?

White Coke
May 29, 2015

TwoPair posted:

I'm sure you're serious but honestly that sounds like a joke. I can't wait for his resignation/retirement speech. "My fair villagers, I may be quitting but don't worry, my best friend War Crime Batman will take my place in leading our village to a bright future!"

I'm joking, but also telling the truth, as many comedians do these days.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

OmanyteJackson posted:

The 3rd Hokage gave it to Naruto's dad then he took it back after Dadrouto died. I So guess you can abdicate the ninja throne whenever?

It's an elected position, but you can step down at any time (Sarutobi, Tsunade, and Kakashi all stepped down). So, Sasuke will never be Hokage, because everyone knows what he tried to do, and will not even consider him a candidate.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Schubalts posted:

It's an elected position, but you can step down at any time (Sarutobi, Tsunade, and Kakashi all stepped down). So, Sasuke will never be Hokage, because everyone knows what he tried to do, and will not even consider him a candidate.

I thought that it’s only an elected position in the event that a Hokage dies without preselecting a successor and even then it’s voted/decided on by the elders and Clan Heads; as happened with Tsunade, Danzo and Kakashi. Otherwise it’s standard military dictatorship stuff with slightly less nepotism.

Normally the current Hokage will choose a successor, even if it is they die. For example Minato, Naruto’s dad and fourth Hokage, was chosen by The Third due to his overwhelming popularity and skill at being a Ninja. Assumedly Tsunade or Kakashi selected Naruto as the Seventh at some point and Naruto will select the Eighth as either Konohamaru, or Sarada. As both show desire for the position and presumably the skills/talent necessary, when the time comes.

Long time coming though as Naruto will probably remain the most powerful ninja alive for many many years.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jun 22, 2018

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

TwoPair posted:

:shrug: Seemed to work out pretty well with Gaara.

Honestly, the whole "I'll just ignore all the bad things you did because you're one of the good guys now" is stupid, but that's got a really long pedigree. Remember how Vegeta originally made a living by committing literal genocide? Or how Piccolo is the clone/son of what was basically the devil (then it turned out both he and God were the same guy, and they were also plant-men from space. And there were a bunch more layers of gods above them. DBZ cosmology is a mess)?

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

It works better in Dragon Ball because Goku himself is a bit amoral. He doesn't spare his enemies because he believes in their inherent goodness, but because he wants more good fights out of them. They only get better over time as Goku's spirit of self-improvement rubs off on them when they try to surpass Goku.

The opposite is true in Naruto. Naruto actively goes out of his way to punch the evil out of people and tell them how great friendship is while they keep telling him to gently caress off until they break down and agree, friendship is pretty neat. Given the usual shonen power escalation dealio this invariably leads to Naruto trying extremely hard to befriend people who are currently trying to murder all the friends he already made. I can accept Goku sparing Vegeta after he killed several of his friends because he's a fight addict, it's significantly harder to accept Naruto being all gung-ho about befriending Obito after he killed Neji.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

a cartoon duck posted:

It works better in Dragon Ball because Goku himself is a bit amoral. He doesn't spare his enemies because he believes in their inherent goodness, but because he wants more good fights out of them. They only get better over time as Goku's spirit of self-improvement rubs off on them when they try to surpass Goku.

The opposite is true in Naruto. Naruto actively goes out of his way to punch the evil out of people and tell them how great friendship is while they keep telling him to gently caress off until they break down and agree, friendship is pretty neat. Given the usual shonen power escalation dealio this invariably leads to Naruto trying extremely hard to befriend people who are currently trying to murder all the friends he already made. I can accept Goku sparing Vegeta after he killed several of his friends because he's a fight addict, it's significantly harder to accept Naruto being all gung-ho about befriending Obito after he killed Neji.
The awkward realisation that the reason Dragon Ball is better than Naruto is toxic masculinity.

TCat
Oct 10, 2012

I'll save you the time and call myself a loser

a cartoon duck posted:

Technically Nappa killed all of his friends, and Vegeta killed Nappa before he had a chance to spare him, a more apt comparison would be Piccolo.
King Piccolo, who he actually killed for the sake of the world and his own anger at the death of his friend...and then spared and reformed the reincarnation/son in order to get a better fight. Goku isn't amoral cause of his fighting addiction overtaking his understanding of the greater good- he actually thought Frieza died on Namek after sparing him and getting that thrown in his face, and he did kill Kid Buu but hoped he would be reincarnated as a good kid. Goku is amoral because hey he didn't know any of those people that were killed before the people he marked as rivals became his rivals. Which...is kinda a gigantic flaw of humanity itself which is probably why Dragon Ball is a series people can still get into even in the modern era with it's low key depth.

Naruto....Admittedly this is more a problem based around how Naruto was originally written in the beginning, where the scope was smaller and everyone was younger and naive. Even Gaara being a monster I can kind of give a pass on due to his backstory and how he was raised and the One Tails, because he's meant to be a reflection of Naruto going down a dark path which works way better than the shoehorned in bullshit about Sasuke. Naruto didn't try to make all the Sound Ninja turn to his side of thinking, he didn't try to make Zabuza or Haku be good so much as question their motivation since he didn't understand. Beating the poo poo out of Neji to stop being a dickhead makes sense within the scope of the Chuunin Exams and nobody being a Super Saiyan in terms of power.
But for no reason besides I guess laziness Kishimoto just...kept applying the "Beat people up til they're friendly" even when Naruto is within his right for revenge and looks like he's gonna go down that path.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

:siren: UPDATE TIME! :siren:

Today, it's time to explore home life in the new Hidden Leaf Village! With Naruto at work all the time and Sasuke still off on his quest for self-reflection, it seems there's an absentee dad problem! How do Boruto and Sarada deal with this? Why, with fighting of course!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I can't believe you referenced Shaggy Dog and not Nine Lives Tails.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

This is such a weird premise to begin with. Normally you don't have the first heroes around and even stronger from their last great battle when you've got their kids around. Like, Golden Sun: Dark Dawn and FF4 The After Years are the only examples I can think of and neither of those were great.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Sorry Chorps, I had to own you

I guess CC2 didn't want to make an one-armed Sasuke model so they just gave him a bunch of one armed moves and tried really hard to conceal the supposed-to-be-missing one.

Also I feel like this should just be a complete summary of Sarada's character:

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jun 24, 2018

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
So Naruto's voice didn't change at all when he went through puberty? It's really weird that his kid sounds more adult than he does.

Despite being the distant loner type, Sasuke seems like a better father-figure than Naruto. Strange..

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

People get very emotional about subs and dubs and honorifics, but I really want to see a good flame war over whether games should translate background signage or not.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012

TwoPair posted:

She even had a story that was essentially this.
After Naruto ended, but before Boruto started properly with what the game is giving us here, there was a short Sarada story where she's hunting down Sasuke and people who know him to find out if Sakura is actually her mom (the answer is yes, even if Sarada's glasses make her look like Karin). Sasuke is just as unemotionally invested in his kid and his wife there as he is here. Less, in fact, since in that he gives Sarada a head poke but actively denies Sakura even when she essentially asks for one. It's anyone's guess how in the world she managed to get pregnant, cause he shows pretty much zero interest or affection.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

TwoPair posted:

Sorry Chorps, I had to own you

I guess CC2 didn't want to make an one-armed Sasuke model so they just gave him a bunch of one armed moves and tried really hard to conceal the supposed-to-be-missing one.

The japanese rating boards are weird when it comes to missing limbs, it's why Future Gohan just has a useless arm in Dragonball games instead of missing one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Ometeotl posted:

The japanese rating boards are weird when it comes to missing limbs, it's why Future Gohan just has a useless arm in Dragonball games instead of missing one.

Way I had it explained to me forever ago is that Japan has a long and messy history of factory workers missing limbs and the like and get really pissed off when they try to use their real life disability in dumb childrens games for children. That might be super wrong though.

• Locked thread