Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

:siren: UPDATE TIME! :siren:

Today, it's time for the first day of the Chunin Exams! Time has flown right by Boruto as he tries to impress Sasuke, and he's woefully unprepared for all of the standardized tests he needs to take! However, someone appears to give Boruto a leg up on the competition, and send him on the fast track to success... What will Boruto do with this literal trick up his sleeve?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Holy poo poo I never heard about Mecha-Naruto until now, and now I'm mad he isn't the main character.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

ChorpSaway posted:

Today, it's time for the first day of the Chunin Exams! Time has flown right by Boruto as he tries to impress Sasuke, and he's woefully unprepared for all of the standardized tests he needs to take!

The best part of the first Chuunin exam was that straight up cheating was encouraged, since ninja were also spies. "Gather information (cheat your rear end off) without getting caught."

Sasuke copying hand movements, Neji looking through people to see their test, Gaara making a sand eye to transmit what it saw, Shino sending out a bug to report back, Kiba having Akamaru watch the room. Now I'm pining for early Naruto again. :smith:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Schubalts posted:

The best part of the first Chuunin exam was that straight up cheating was encouraged, since ninja were also spies. "Gather information (cheat your rear end off) without getting caught."

Sasuke copying hand movements, Neji looking through people to see their test, Gaara making a sand eye to transmit what it saw, Shino sending out a bug to report back, Kiba having Akamaru watch the room. Now I'm pining for early Naruto again. :smith:

Watch the Boruto anime, it has a very similar feel to the early Naruto days in my opinion (so far anyway).

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Gologle posted:

Holy poo poo I never heard about Mecha-Naruto until now, and now I'm mad he isn't the main character.
He originated in the game between Storm 3 and Storm 4 and even had his own story mode therein.

He turns into a super robot version of the nine-tails and everything :allears:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Schubalts posted:

I never really understood how that was supposed to work though. Did one student just have all the answers? When everybody's cheating off everyone else, wouldn't that just create a loop of people just kind of guessing?

Also I know Boruto inherited the idiot protagonist gene from his dad but it's crazy how he thinks that Sasuke doesn't notice his gauntlet. Like c'mon dude, you came back in the same day (I know it was probably like a week in the show, but still) being vastly better at this one jutsu and also having a wealth of new techniques and you just think no one's gonna question it?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I mean, he's Naruto's kid, and that was what Naruto did during the whole Ninja War arc.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

TwoPair posted:

I never really understood how that was supposed to work though. Did one student just have all the answers? When everybody's cheating off everyone else, wouldn't that just create a loop of people just kind of guessing?

Some of the people in the class were chunin plants who had the right answers, I think.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Larryb posted:

Watch the Boruto anime, it has a very similar feel to the early Naruto days in my opinion (so far anyway).

I'll have to look into it, then. I haven't actually read any of it beyond the Naruto epilogue and Sarada's story. Too big of a backlog.

TwoPair posted:

You didn't have to answer any of the questions, but some of the candidates would know at least some of the answers through experience or sheer book smarts. They just had to wait until people started answering the test, because whoever started writing first had to have some confidence in their answers. Also, some of the people taking the test were actually Exam staff, so technically there were "students" with all the answers.

What mattered the most was being willing to answer the tenth question, which didn't actually exist. The whole written exam was meant to weed out people unskilled at stealthily gathering information or too fearful to risk the danger of the tenth question's penalty.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Schubalts posted:

I'll have to look into it, then. I haven't actually read any of it beyond the Naruto epilogue and Sarada's story. Too big of a backlog.

Don't bother with the manga at all to be honest, it's not really that good and the anime just kind of pays it the barest of lip service and instead sort of does its own thing for the most part.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Waffleman_ posted:

I mean, he's Naruto's kid, and that was what Naruto did during the whole Ninja War arc.

Well yeah but he was Ninja Jesus by then. And still, all of Naruto's (and Sasuke's I guess) bullshit powerups were very noticeable, whether it was frog traits or glowy fox mode or Sasuke's rotating collection of bullshit eyes, you could always see when somebody had hit Super Saiyan Ninja [insert number].

Boruto just pops up more powerful out of nowhere. Come on kid, if you're gonna pretend you got stronger really fast at least get some gel and spike your hair up to sell the act.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Believe it or not, Boruto takes after his maternal uncle and is a fukken genius. In series, during that part where everyone is cheating? Yeah, kid just answers them, never figured out he was supposed to be cheating. If he put his mind to it he likely could have actually figured out the Rasengan.

But he's ALSO a lazy unmotivated poo poo with a history of taking shortcuts whenever possible.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Flytrap posted:

Believe it or not, Boruto takes after his maternal uncle and is a fukken genius. In series, during that part where everyone is cheating? Yeah, kid just answers them, never figured out he was supposed to be cheating. If he put his mind to it he likely could have actually figured out the Rasengan.

But he's ALSO a lazy unmotivated poo poo with a history of taking shortcuts whenever possible.

Oh wow, Boruto's an idiot savant with the studying bookwork as well as the punching, how novel.

Also, never forget people, the Naruto universe has laptops, electricity, VR head monitor things, and robots.

But never cell phones.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Also, never forget people, the Naruto universe has laptops, electricity, VR head monitor things, and robots.

But never cell phones.
All the ninja magic in the atmosphere causes too much interference in the radio spectrum.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

:siren: UPDATE TIME! :siren:

Today, it's time for the tournament arc of the Chunin Exams! While Boruto easily overpowers his opponents with his jutsu gauntlet, it seems like his luck is just about to run out. And it wouldn't be a Naruto chunin exam without a terrorist attack, as the plot flies into the spotlight! Next week, the epic conclusion of Boruto's Tale!

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Kaguya was a lame villain out of nowhere but her extended moon people family are somehow even lamer than her.

Toriyama's editor story is a bit more convoluted. Also it was his ex-editor, so he wasn't even forced to do this, he just really trust the guy's advice.
It went something like this.
Toriyama comes up with Android 19 and 20, and he asks his ex-editor for his opinion. "A fat guy and an old guy? Lame."
So he comes up with Android 17 and 18, and asks for his opinion again. "It's just two teenage punks, that's not interesting."
Toriyama ends up designing Cell, and finally gets some positive feedback. Except at this point he realizes he shot himself in the foot, and that the design he went with is absolute hell to draw, because he has to draw all of Cell's spots every single time he appears in a panel. This is the guy who made Super Saiyan blonde cause he wouldn't have to ink their hair after all.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
The Ninja President has been kidnapped by Ninjas. Are you a bad enough Ninja President to rescue the Ninja President?

White Coke fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jul 16, 2018

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I know it's kind of sweet to let Boruto go "save his dad" while the vastly more powerful ninjas do the work, and apparently Hinata's too injured (even if she doesn't look like it) but come on Sakura it's like you're asking for people to make jokes about how useless women in Naruto are.

Also seriously what the hell is up with Gaara's hairstyle. I get that changing hair and/or clothes is a kind of lazy visual shorthand for a timeskip but just... goddamn, dude. It's a hard job to come up with a worse hairdo than Rock Lee, and Gaara bravely found a way.

Also mad props to the scientist man there for getting his gauntlet shot down by Naruto only to go behind the back of the most powerful ninja in the world and rig an exam, then have the balls to walk into the center ring only feet away from Naruto and give the whole stadium his loving sales pitch. That is a truly ballsy mixture of capitalism and light treason.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Listen dude, in order to be a ninja, you have to have guts and follow your ninja way. I don't think you believe it hard enough, but dammit, that guy did.

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
gaara’s hair is the way it is here cause temari left for the hidden leaf and you think kankuro knows what a good haircut is?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

dudermcbrohan posted:

gaara’s hair is the way it is here cause temari left for the hidden leaf and you think kankuro knows what a good haircut is?

Touche. I don't even know if he has hair underneath that awful outfit he wears, so he can't be a master of style.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Gonna fuckin' pwn these ninja fools.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Oh yeah, almost forgot, Jay was actually spot on about Jimmy Carter being a master of Reaganomics no Jutsu: https://www.salon.com/2011/02/08/lind_reaganism_carter/

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

If anyone's interested in more video game ninja action, the second beta to the 4v4 team multiplayer game Naruto to Boruto: Shinobi Striker is starting on the 19th on PS4 and Xbone. From what little I was able to play of the first beta, it's a pretty fun time!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVLHrSk1cSo

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

It's still loving wild to me that Naruto- the man whose main gimmick throughout his childhood was creating clones of himself- would grow up to be a father who constantly neglects his family.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

You could argue that without any true parental figure for most of his formative years, he has no real basis to work on for how a parent should treat their family.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

You could argue that without any true parental figure for most of his formative years, he has no real basis to work on for how a parent should treat their family.

I would then say that I'm stunned that Naruto would have the work ethic to keep going to the office day in and day out instead of sending 7,000 clones to handle everything while he trains with his kids, tries out the new flavor of ramen they just created, tries to get the six paths powers back so he can completely heal Guy, something.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
You are vastly overestimating Naruto's intelligence.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'm still don't quite buy that the man who can make clones powerful enough to fight a demigod and win is somehow so buried in paperwork he can't sustain a clone all the way through a kids birthday party. I mean, I get that the Hidden Leaf is growing but holy poo poo if a man who can literally make a hundred of himself can't do the job, how the hell did any of the prior ninja presidents last more than a week?

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jul 17, 2018

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

The actual problem is Naruto’s work ethic is insane and he refuses to use clones for Hokage stuff because that would be inappropriate and kind of dangerous.

He does actually use clones to hang out with his family sometimes but they pop on any amount of damage and Naruto isn’t always able to replace them immediately. The clone at the party popped because it took a hit, from memory, and other clone types have less personality than shadow clones so they’d be obvious.

Naruto is also really bad at delegation because he’s used to doing everything himself instead of asking others to handle part of his work. A lot of the paperwork he’s doing could be handled by say Shikamaru but Naruto wants to do it himself.

Basically Naruto doesn’t know how to say I’m done with work for today and need to see my family.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jul 17, 2018

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah but that's stupid. And not "Naruto is an idiot" stupid, I"m talking "this is bad writing that only seems to exist to facilitate Boruto's teen angst" stupid.

Regardless of anything, I'm surprised Naruto actually became Hokage. I mean, his whole dream of becoming Hokage was based on the childish idea that once he became Hokage he'd be accepted and everyone would love him, but by the end of the story he'd saved the world (and the Leaf twice) and basically been accepted by everyone. And it's not like he was fighting against injustices in the Leaf Village's political structure, he seemed pretty content with how Tsunade (and presumably Kakashi) was running things. And it's not like he stumbled rear end-backwards into the job, he used to hang out harassing two different Hokages in the office growing up, it's not like the mountains of paperwork were a surprise. I suppose if they offered him the job and said "it's either you or Sasuke" then gently caress, jump on that grenade to save the city, but otherwise he could've just kicked back and enjoyed the royalties from his lucrative bottled water endorsements.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jul 18, 2018

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah i mean the easy fix is to just make Naurto a bad dad, having achieved his lifelong dream at 20 and suddenly has nowhere else to go with all the pressures of public office for a man who never finished his education. Imagine Naruto as Rob Ford, sending clones to every constituent while doing ninja drugs on the side to escape the pressures of being a president and a dad.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Naruto is also Hokage because largely the current era of peace exists because of him, if he wasn't people would be asking why he isn't Hokage, and in the end Naruto is loyal to Konoha mostly first, (Sasuke overides it sometimes), his friends second and everything else third.

Also the mountains of Paperwork are a new thing for Naruto, because he doesn't delegate like Tsunade and Kakashi and Hiruzen did, that's the problem. If he delegated properly to Shikamaru, Sakura and say Iruka he'd have a much healthier work life balance.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jul 18, 2018

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Lord_Magmar posted:

The actual problem is Naruto’s work ethic is insane and he refuses to use clones for Hokage stuff because that would be inappropriate and kind of dangerous.

The real reason he doesn't is that the Ninja Congress passed a law taxing his Shadow Clones because they were stealing jobs from hard working Leaf ninjas. They're still fine with Naruto outsourcing jobs to the Land of Sound though.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Gologle posted:

You are vastly overestimating Naruto's intelligence.

I'm sure I am, I'm just surprised he has the patience for office work.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
It's glaringly strange how he seems to just not care about his family. From what little I've seen of Naruto's parenting, he just was not there and when he was, he had no idea how to even talk to his kids or even the rest of his family, so he doesn't do more than focus on Ninja training and occasional threats of punishment. If Boruto just said "gently caress this and gently caress him" and walked away, I wouldn't blame him.

I think what bother's me is that no one has yet to even call him on this. He doesn't appear over-worked either. He enjoys doing his Hokage stuff and being the town idol. A good writer could use this arc to show how his dreams and focus both stunted Naruto's growth as a person and eventually turn him into a heartless politician/bureaucrat/dictator. It could climax with Boruto facing Naruto and his friends and showing how each failed him and enabled him to become this way. It ends with a Father-Son battle where Naruto is defeated and finally sees how empty his life has become and how he's failed at life and his career. He vows to fix everything and mend his relationships with his family.

Sadly, I don't think we'll get this, but I hope for something close.

Edit: I'm pretty sure they just didn't hire a new VA for him, but it also says something that how even though Naruto has become an adult with a career as a leader, his voice has not changed at all. It reflects my point above about how his character has not grown either.

mastersord fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jul 19, 2018

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
I suppose you could say it's fairly in line with the Naruto manga for him to largely forget about Hinata and now his Hinata-esque daughter, since she was always treated as kind of a "Oh yeah, you exist. Well, while you're here, have a scene or two" character.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Well he used to be a ever present, doting papa until he got the job. It's why Boruto takes his absence harder than Himawari, since for her it's kinda always been this way. The anime shows him as basically always living on the verge of collapse, probably because he's not only governing Konoha but that massive, skyscraper filled megacity just behind the Hokage Monument that somehow neither the anime or manga have taken even a moment to explore what the Hell.

Konoha went from a little town of a couple hundred, maybe a thousand people to Tokyo overnight and it's probably the hardest thing to accept about this new setting.

Though, ultimately, the REAL reason Naruto is like this has nothing to do with anything in series. It's just that the story of a father that wants to express that he still loves his family even though a hellish and draconic work schedule has worn him down to nothing but a withering shell was a really important story to tell for a man like Kishimoto who had to put off his own honeymoon for like a decade because gently caress Shounen Jump.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Zagglezig posted:

I suppose you could say it's fairly in line with the Naruto manga for him to largely forget about Hinata and now his Hinata-esque daughter, since she was always treated as kind of a "Oh yeah, you exist. Well, while you're here, have a scene or two" character.
I think there's a movie in between Naruto and Boruto about how they got married that calls that out. With again more moon people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Coke
May 29, 2015

HGH posted:

I think there's a movie in between Naruto and Boruto about how they got married that calls that out. With again more moon people.

Doesn't that one at least reveal most of the moon people are dead?

• Locked thread