Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
So apart from the sound quality/power, being able to use as a homekit hub, is there anything the regular size homepod has over the mini?

I have a few sonos units and would like to start moving over to homepod because I'm quite homekit centric. Also the sonos app is loving garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Got a pair of homepod minis for xmas and I really like em. They're so tiny! I wish the power adapter was more flush though, jeez. Common complaint I'd imagine.

It really shows how clunky the Sonos controls are especially on the non-homekit enabled models, with their terrible app. At least I can use the newer ones with homekit and pair older ones to the newer ones, but it is annoying the volume controls are not integrated to work with both (not an apple problem)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Will a 5W block work?

No I think it has to be a 20W.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I just recall reading an article that if you use less than 20W the light turns an angry orange :ohdear:

https://www.macworld.com/article/3599808/homepod-mini-review.html

quote:

Compounding things is the other end of the cord. The HomePod mini’s cord doesn’t have a plug like the original HomePod. Rather, it ships with Apple’s bulky 20W USB-C power adapter, but any 20W USB-C charger will suffice. Anything less than that (including the power banks I tried as well as a Thunderbolt 3 port on a MacBook) will render the HomePod useless with an ominous pulsing orange light at the top.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Does anyone know how to disable Siri on homepod talking when not asking a question? I say “hey siri, good night” to run the automation where it dims the lights and plays some sleep music and she always goes “I’M ON IT!” Or some other dumb statement, way too loud.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah I have that set, it doesn't chime but she still yells confirmation of anything, lol.. Maybe if I set an automation to change the volume to something low after a certain time that might do it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I really wish there was a way to permanently set siri’s voice lower or silence it altogether but I haven’t found a way. You can say “hey siri set your volume to 20%” but it doesn’t stick for very long.

It’s annoying at night when you want to trigger the “good night” automation and she bellows out “ON IT!”, fucks sake siri read the room!!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I think (hope) that they will get there because homekit does seem to be improving with every point release, just it seems like it’s taking for god drat ever :haw:

Still I don’t even entertain the thought of moving to to google/nest or amazon so however it goes, I suppose.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah really the best option would be to have siri shut up completely unless it needs to ask you a question. Telling it to turn off the lights does not require an affirmation! Just do it!!

But even with questions, it should know hm it is 9pm, the room is very quiet, perhaps I should not bellow at 75% max volume.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah mine hasn’t said anything the last couple of times so perhaps it has been updated behind the scenes? Much improved. I have jinxed myself and I will get the full volume “ON IT” tonight I’m sure

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I'd happily shift away from the sonos speakers I have to homepod, the sonos app and integration to playing music is so clunky in comparison to the homepod.

If only Siri wasn't so brain damaged. :sigh:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Any updates to keep siri quiet after hours yet? I’ve stopped using the nightstand homepod to trigger the good night automation because she practically yells “OK IM ON IT!!”

Just use my phone after plugging it in.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

japtor posted:

Not sure if it will help/actually work right, but saw this in the HomePod update notes today:

Awesome! Updating them now.

E: alas, still pretty loud in a totally quiet room at 10pm

priznat fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Sep 21, 2021

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I swear Apple seems to be working hard to make Siri dumber.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah this is a constant irritation for me so I just use my phone now to do the goodnight automation. If I use the home pod she always shouts “THE SCENE IS SET!” Or whatever no matter how many times I tell her to quiet down.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I can just say "hey siri, play news 1130" for the local AM news and it figures it out

Usually the radio station will say the keywords to ask for on air or maybe on their website etc (station ID might work too?)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Sometimes this works and other times it's like "Sorry, I couldn't find news 1130 in your music"

Yeah, I think I’ve just managed to train it by using the app somehow. Because I have it setup as an alarm so it knows it already.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Timers don't sync between your phone and watch. How dare you think that it is possible to sync between Homepods!

That is so drat annoying WHY can’t they do that even

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Question - I have a mini on the nightstand that I play real chill ambient stuff to fall asleep to, but it is polluting my apple music recommendations now. From some googling i see there is/was a “Use listening history” option within the home device settings, but I don’t see it.

E: actually found it, they moved it to the user settings in home, update listening history and you can toggle off specific homepods.

Now to get my recommendations back on track!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

japtor posted:

Oh sweet, never knew about that option and stopped bothering with sleep music cause of that.

Yah it was a case of finding the solution while I was doing the post so though I’d share. I may just reset my recommendations if I can figure that out :haw:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Anyone know if the "Enable listening history" toggle for the homepod was moved or just removed in the homepod 16 update? I had it off but I noticed my recommendations have started having stuff similar to the quiet jazz I use to fall asleep to, which I don't really want in my recs. I don't see the selection anymore in the homepod settings in the home app anymore.

Annoying.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

MrNonacho posted:

It’s under Home.app->Home Settings->your name

aha! thanks found it!

Oddly it was already off, don't know why my recommendations are getting wobbly again.. ah well

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I wonder if this is supply chain related ie a big order placed for another product (iphone se?) for some random parts like the bluetooth or whatever. They showed up, and were going were going to go in the iphone se but since it was to be cancelled (all this would have happened months ago) the homepod was dusted off, given a slight refresh and sent back into production.

Or something like that, due to parts inventories somehow.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yah I have a couple of those little weno plugs and they’re great and integrate with homekit well!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

GoatSeeGuy posted:

I'm not a smart home person in the least, but I have one of those plugs explicitly for a space heater in my office after one too many "I turned that off didn't I? Gotta go check" nights and it's great. If you're going to be homepoding it, you can also use Shortcuts to set up a custom Siri command for heat on/off etc.

The harder part was finding a decent space heater that didn't need to be explicitly turned on and just came on with power.

Cool thing is apparently Apple is enabling temperature sensors in the homepods (and minis) so you could even set an automation to turn it on if it dips below a certain amount and you are at home between certain hours etc!

I'm extremely keen on the temperature/humidity sensor support to just have some more tracking of the different areas of the house etc.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Nice. After I just got done putting Aqara temp/humidity sensors in most of my rooms, and even in the ones with Minis.

What ones did you get? Eve?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I'm shocked how cold my house actually is lol

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

My homepods were already 16.4, I wonder if I put them on the beta and forgot.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

One thing I have noticed with having a homepod mini setup to play the radio at 6:30 is that it will stick an ad in before the station, usually for shopify or something like that. Is this just something in the radio stream provider within Music or is this a homepod thing? Any way to disable that?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

Almost certainly the radio provider. I've never gotten an ad in an Apple Music stream.

Weird it is the CBC music stream which is ad free, that’s why it stood out. Have no idea where in the chain this ad is getting stuck in.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Annoyingly it still doesn't seem to have the update popping up for me, despite the phone being iOS 17 now..

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Reboot your phone and check in Home Settings again

Yah did that based on the above post but nope. It seems to not like working together too, 16.6 to 17. Ah well it’ll kick in at some point I’m sure

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

My Homepods are still stubbornly not updating, and when checking the update screen in the Home Settings it says they are up to date (16.6). Weird. I've reset the phone a few times now, and reset the homepods. Just update dammit!!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I have, several times, unless it's not the swipe to power down and then press side button to restart or some other thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I have a HomePod mini that was acting annoying and connecting to the wrong wifi network so I did a factory reset and now it seems I can’t reconnect. I go thru the pairing process and it plays the chime and then the “setting up” pop up appears with a spinning wheel but it never seems to finish. Anyone have any suggestions?

This is on 17.3 beta which the HomePods were unfortunately set to do beta updates (I should not do this).