Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.
Played with mine for a couple hours. Sounds great for its size.

My use case: gently caress assistance aside from “stop”, “next”, and “play”. I listen to a shitload of music and I don’t want a giant loving setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

I thought about getting a HomePod to replace the old radio I have in my garage. Can I use this thing without internet? At least after the initial setup? My garage is too far away from the house to pick up my WiFi signal. I figured I could just use it to play music from my phone, but I can't really find anything after Googling for a bit that tells me one way or another.

Not really. You’re meant to have it hooked up to the internet since it’s not a Bluetooth speaker.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

qirex posted:

I know that, I was talking about voice control. Sonos has explicitly not included it in talking about their Alexa plans, instead mentioning only Amazon music and Spotify. Other Alexa speakers can’t work with local files, neither can Google speakers nor the HomePod. I know there’s workarounds and I personally have zero interest in yelling at my stereo, I just think it’s weird that not a single one supports local files.

Bluntly put, that’s not a scenario for a lot of people at this point. Like it’s a 5% case at best if I were spitballing.

I have local files and I stream them upnp to a connected speaker but now with two HomePods, I just use Apple Music.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

dexter6 posted:

If anyone wanted to know how my saga of not getting my HomePod to activate went...

Turns out you have to have the Apple Music app on your device for it to go through all the setup steps. So even though it knows you need the home app and prompts you to download it, it does not prompt you to install the Apple Music app if you've deleted it. And instead it just freezes on a white screen.

So glad that after 90 minutes of tech support my girlfriend randomly asks me if I have Apple Music and I said I don't pay for the service and she said, but do you have the app??

So yeah. Requires Apple Music app to make it through the install.

Lol you bought it but don’t have Apple Music? Sorry, that just seemed odd to me.

Are you just using it as an AirPlay target then?

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

dexter6 posted:

:words:

I would have rather had the setup wizard tell me to install Apple Music if it was required, or make it not required. But just taking me a blank white screen was not ideal.

Got it. Ya that dumb white screen is definitely not a good way to deal with the error.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Agronox posted:

Some reddit people put the homepod through the paces. Pretty interesting review:

https://www.reddit.com/r/audiophile/comments/7wwtqy/apple_homepod_the_audiophile_perspective/

Not too surprising to me for some reason. I ordered one initially and have ordered two more for a whole home setup.

While it can’t match my Naim Muso for full range it’s 95% there so IDGAF.

Anyone who buys it as an Alexa/GoogHome competitor will be sad. If you treat it like a nice speaker though you’ll be pleased.

That said - the voice recognition is better than Alexa for my wife. She has a notoriously hard voice for voice recognition - I think because she speaks kind of sing-song.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Over There posted:

I just want my Ps4 to be compatible with it.

It’s incompatible and you’ll like it!

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Auron posted:

HomePod is....meh.

Ur meh. :colbert:

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Palladium posted:

I wait for the inevitable Samsung's copy that is 100% going to be more open

And 100% more explodey.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

VladimirLeninpest posted:

I found out that you can browse the Music app as the Homepod and play music without using AirPlay! That fixes all of the issues here.

Ya that feature is neat. It wasn’t immediately obvious to me what the distinction in the view was but then I never read any of the promo material to learn how to use it.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

My HomePod has been playing for like 3 days straight because it won’t respond to hey Siri. I just turn the volume all the way down at night. I kinda want to see how long it will go for before it just gives up.

If you tap between the +/- it’ll turn it off... you can tap it again to turn it on. Right in the middle.

No need to turn it down. It’s the same spot where you’d see the multi-color swirl when Siri responds to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

LuckyCat posted:

When I take a call and I’m at home, I like to use speaker phone. Pressing the button on my phone to put it on speaker instead opens a menu with the option to switch to speaker or HomePod. This creates an extra step when I just want to use speaker phone. I never want to route my call audio through my HomePod. Is this something that can be disabled?

Maybe disabling WiFi? But no distinct setting I'm aware of.

That button is no longer the "speaker" button, it's the "AirPlay to this device w/ mic capability" button.