Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Yes a $350 device with loving Siri is gonna crush the smart speaker marker. Let me order $1000 worth of HomePods so I can have one in each room instead of $300 or whatever for three Alexas (I’m assuming those are like $100/each but idk, I’m fairly sure they’re not $350/each).

I mean, just give this a try (requires Apple Music):

:v:: Hey Siri play some music.

:downs:: Okay, playing your radio station.

:v:: Hey Siri what time is it?

:downs:: The time is 8am, good morning! Because I am the most stupid voice assistant ever and can not understand context, I’m going to keep the phone in this state now where the time is displayed on your screen but the music is just paused, forever, because my programmers are stupid because it never occurred to them that maybe the user wants the music to resume playing at this point.

Come on, justify why it’s correct behavior for Siri to keep my music paused indefinitely like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I just looked it up and they are $99.99 for an Echo and $149.99 for an Echo Plus.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

e: I'm dumb and have dumb opinions. Sorry.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Feb 12, 2018

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Feb 12, 2018

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Feb 12, 2018

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I’m thinking about a mini but one of my use cases would be listening to podcasts. On some of the ones I listen to they have ads for Google products where they say you could just say “Hey Google, play The Daily” for example. I’m assuming that Google would play the proper podcast even if it’s not one on a playlist. Does Siri do this too? I use Overcast but I guess I could use Apple Podcasts.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

You don't have to use Apple Podcasts on your phone to do this, though I suppose if it's a more obscure podcast it might have trouble finding it. In any case, I just said "Hey Siri play podcast Robot or Not" and it worked fine, despite me having deleted Podcasts from my phone.

But yeah, you can always use Airplay if keeping your Overcast playlist accurate is important to you.

Really? I just said “hey Siri play podcast robot or not” and she said she didn’t see an app for that. I don’t have Apple podcasts installed so that’s why I figured I would have to switch to it to get the integration I wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

To be clear: you do not need the Podcasts app on your phone for a HomePod to play podcasts. You do need it on your phone to play via the Apple Podcasts app on your phone.

FWIW Overcast at least has Siri Shortcuts support so you can set those, though it doesn't seems to let you ask for an arbitrary podcast, just play a playlist or create one for a specific podcast, but these don't transfer to the HomePod, since it doesn't have Overcast support.

Oh I get it. I could say “Hey HomePod-Siri, play the latest episode of blah podcast” and she’ll play it because she has the software needed to do that on the HomePod? If I did use Apple podcasts on my phone would that sync over to that app then?