Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Husband gets half off for these so we might pick one up. It's supposed to have really good bass and will work with our phones and our apple tv. I'll report back if we get it and try it.

e: we are getting it

Over There fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Feb 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Apparently it's like 7 inches lol

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Size doesn't matter, it's how it can handle sound

Over There fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Feb 4, 2018

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I believe you can't use Bluetooth.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
They must want to utilize some sort of feature with airplay.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Apple just got their $3,000 speaker in today. I'm sure that can use bluetooth.

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/...cf13e117bf1155f

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Employees at our Apple store have been told to not be afraid to bring up competition when discussing the HomePod with customers. They bring up history.google.com and that freaks a lot of people out.

I remember finding it one day when I still had my Android and I was able to see every movement I had made on a map, up to bootie calls at 2 AM. It was strange.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Ewen Cluney posted:

The Verge put out a HomePod review video that's the first I've seen that's really critical. The reviewer was really impressed with the sound quality, but spent a lot of time talking about the limitations of it, and also pointed out that unlike the iOS Siri, HomePod Siri doesn't distinguish voices, so if your iPhone is on the same Wi-Fi network as your HomePod, anyone who can talk to your HomePod can use it to send and receive messages. You can disable the feature entirely in the settings app, but depending on your situation it may be a pretty glaring concern.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQF5Q3773uk

the Verge has been nothing but clickbait concern sensationalism, I would take anything they say with a grain of salt and just wait to see what the public says.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Like this article that came out yesterday that has the most misleading title every for clicks.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/2/6/16979288/iphone-8-x-hardware-improvements-battery-throttling

The title of the article posted:

Apple says iPhone 8 and X have ‘hardware updates’ that address battery issues

What they actually mean posted:

iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, and iPhone X models include hardware updates that allow a more advanced performance management system that more precisely allows iOS to anticipate and avoid an unexpected shutdown.

The Verge sucks.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Don Lapre posted:

ijustines glowing review is all you really need since it fits your confirmation bias requirement

What? I literally just said to wait till we hear what the public has to say about it rather than a website known for throwing around controversy for clicks. Quit strawmanning you idiot.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Homepods are in the back at Apple Stores today so they get to test them out.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Music can be blasting at full force but Siri can still hear you. Kinda cool.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Finally picked up this dumb thing. It’s both bigger and smaller than I thought it would be at the same time. It sounds really good and setting it up was that same almost complete hand off wave your phone hit yes and you’re done setup Apple is getting really good at.

PS: it shows up as an accessory in Home so that’s where you can rename and look st the device settings (and set alarms).

I was surprised it was mesh. Now I have to keep it away from the drat cats.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
So music gets loving loud, but I've noticed when I hook it up to my Mac or Apple TV, it doesn't get that loud. Strange.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Dick Nipples posted:

Not too surprising to me for some reason. I ordered one initially and have ordered two more for a whole home setup.

While it can’t match my Naim Muso for full range it’s 95% there so IDGAF.

Anyone who buys it as an Alexa/GoogHome competitor will be sad. If you treat it like a nice speaker though you’ll be pleased.

That said - the voice recognition is better than Alexa for my wife. She has a notoriously hard voice for voice recognition - I think because she speaks kind of sing-song.

Alexa can't understand worth poo poo compared to HomePod. We put her in the bedroom and its like night and day.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Three Olives posted:

My favorite thing about the teardown is when the firmware came out Apple geeks were obsessing about the 272 x 340 display that it secretly had and speculating about all the cool one more thing uses it could have. Nope, just 16 LEDs to make the Siri blob.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

MarcusSA posted:

Maybe I’m confusing the issue as well but are they gonna let us have all the HomePods in the house play the same thing?

It would be nice to have one upstairs and downstairs.

Unless it already does that and I am missing something.

I think it doesn't do that yet. I think right now you can have (HomePod) and (HomePod 1) ect. then select them individually.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I just want my Ps4 to be compatible with it.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

qirex posted:

Probably not happening any time soon.

100%

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I loving love my HomePod

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

LPG Giant posted:

Is there a way to use voice commands to make the homepod continue playing whatever I was playing (through headphones) on my iPhone? I tried ‘continue playing what was on my iPhone’ and Siri said she couldn’t do that, but that could also mean I phrased it wrong.

I tried this, this morning and it took me to the TV app :psyduck:

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

ratbert90 posted:

Just picked this thing up and holy smokes does it sound good.

Hell yeah

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I love my HomePod, but I wish she was more of the "central" Siri. There's too many things she can't do and refers you to ask your phone when she should be the main bitch in charge.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I haven’t run into this at all, I think. I’ll usually throw a timer on my watch via siri and the HomePod never trips on it so I think it knows when not to listen.

Then again, it’s really only those 2 devices I have Hey siri on so maybe it works differently with iPads and iPhones.

Really? Our HomePod will take over almost instantly if she even slightly hears you. The only way to not use it is if you hold the Siri button or you quietly say it in another room

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
God drat this is a good speaker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
After about a year of use, speaker owns, Siri loving sucks