Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
What was the old audiophile-mock thread that had those snake-oil mats to put your thousand dollar speakers on to reduce vibration or some-such.

Get one of those for your HomePod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I really wished they had a mini version.

I don't need the best possible audio experience but I'd love a cheaper way to listen to my Podcasts/Music with Siri functionality.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Pirate Jet posted:

I really wish there was a HomePod competitor to the Echo Show. I don’t want to murder the battery on a $400 iPad Mini next to a $100 HomePod mini.

This. I'll still pickup two minis for bedroom and family room but I really wish my main HomePod in the kitchen had a Echo Show/Google Nest Hub display.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I’ll echo those comments and say that, generally, the discovery of features is piss poor.

Look up which apps you have that offer Siri support. My AnyList app lets me go “Hey Siri, using AnyList, add Bananas to my Grocery Store list” and it’ll add it.

It’s cool when it works at least. I hope the mini sells well enough to prompt more devs to support that feature.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Have you tried a Shortcut? You might be able to do all of that in one go via that route.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I think it’s probably the last nail in a “smart speaker” more expensive than $100.

Maybe $150 could be a high end but most people aren’t looking to buy a super high end smart sound speaker that only does audio.

Even mine at $200 was a bit of a stretch. I love it but it certainly wasn’t worth $350.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
You can also go in the Home Settings in the Home app itself. There’s a Software Update button/menu in there.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Just local to the HomePod that heard you.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
You also can’t dismiss a timer either by yelling at Siri and/or going to the Home app.

I just…..don’t understand the decision making process that led to that.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Sound Recognition is a new one. Looks like there will be a Spring software update to bring that feature in.

I wonder what else they'll be listening for outside of Fire and CO alarms.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Ugh, I need some kind of point update. Since 16.3, nearly all my HomePods need commands spoken twice to get them to go through.

Oddly, it happens more with commands for my lights than with commands for information (weather, etc).

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Thwomp posted:

Ugh, I need some kind of point update. Since 16.3, nearly all my HomePods need commands spoken twice to get them to go through.

Oddly, it happens more with commands for my lights than with commands for information (weather, etc).

The 16.3.1 point update resolved this, for the most part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Another point update is out.

I was finding the last point update was helping with Siri timing out less and less so here’s hoping.