Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

The new sound of home.
HomePod is a powerful speaker that sounds amazing and adapts to wherever it’s playing. It’s the ultimate music authority, bringing together Apple Music and Siri to learn your taste in music. It’s also an intelligent home assistant, capable of handling everyday tasks — and controlling your smart home. HomePod takes the listening experience to a whole new level. And that’s just the beginning.

Release Date: Friday, February 9, 2018
Price: $349

Reviews:
https://www.cnet.com/news/apple-homepod-listening-test-one-may-not-be-enough/
https://www.engadget.com/2018/01/26/apple-homepod-2018-release/
https://www.tomsguide.com/us/apple-homepod-review,review-5095.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Got it but won't finish the set up process. I get to the step of choosing it's location and then next and then just a white box.

From either my iPhone or iPad on latest OS. Tried restarted all of the devices and no dice.

Frown. #frozengate

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Do you have a homekit home setup? What’s the hub? Tried restarting that?
No homekit setup. I had to install the home app. What do you mean by hub?

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

For the automation stuff in home, it needs a hub / device that stays at home so the automation can run even when you’re out of home. It’s generally an iPad or Apple TV.
Yeah I can't get past the second set up screen to even choose the hub devices or whatever.

literally:

Step 1: White square with HomePod and "setup"
Step 2: Choose your location
Step 3: blank white box

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

It will.

My wild, out the butt guess on dexters problem is he probably doesn’t have iCloud Keychain and 2FA enabled. Because the next step is apparently asking if you want to enable personal settings.

He does. I just chatted with tech support for 45 mins then called in for 45 mins and the answer is for me to exchange it at the Apple Store.

Guess I got a DOA

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
If anyone wanted to know how my saga of not getting my HomePod to activate went...

Turns out you have to have the Apple Music app on your device for it to go through all the setup steps. So even though it knows you need the home app and prompts you to download it, it does not prompt you to install the Apple Music app if you've deleted it. And instead it just freezes on a white screen.

So glad that after 90 minutes of tech support my girlfriend randomly asks me if I have Apple Music and I said I don't pay for the service and she said, but do you have the app??

So yeah. Requires Apple Music app to make it through the install.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Dick Nipples posted:

Lol you bought it but don’t have Apple Music? Sorry, that just seemed odd to me.

Are you just using it as an AirPlay target then?
Yes (with Spotify), and Siri. And I have $25/year all my music in the cloud thing from a few years back, so I was likely to re-install Apple Music at some point after getting it.

I would have rather had the setup wizard tell me to install Apple Music if it was required, or make it not required. But just taking me a blank white screen was not ideal.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Dick Nipples posted:

Got it. Ya that dumb white screen is definitely not a good way to deal with the error.
I emailed Tim Cook and got a phone call today that they’ve trained their tech support and updated their support documents and will be fixing in a future release. They thanked me for doing their QA and offered me a job as Director of QA.

All of that happened except the last part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Mini!