Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Consummate Professional posted:

I think the HomePod will suit my needs and I'm excited to get it

Same, but no way in hell I'm buying this as a first gen Apple product. I'm sure by the time the HomePod 3GS or whatever shows up it's going to be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Arcsech posted:

Yeah, I'll probably pick up another one or two if they drop real low like that. It'd be nice to have a stereo pair, plus better support on the lower floor.

I'd love to pick up a pair to replace my soundbar since I'm basically Apple TV only at this point, but not for 600+.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

It's lost two tweeters and got an Apple Watch series 7 chip, but everything else is the same including the original price they weren't selling at, IDGI.

EDIT: Apparently no stereo pairing with OG Homepods, because why encourage your established fans to buy another one? https://9to5mac.com/2023/01/18/hompod-stereo-pair-different-models/

GoatSeeGuy fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jan 18, 2023

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Don’t the Apple Watch S6/7/8/Ultra/OG HomePod/HomePod mini all have pretty much the same CPU? And this one has the same one?

OG Homepod has the A8 from the iPhone 6, the new SOC is basically the same from the AW Series 6 onward. Considering Apple was allegedly still selling their launch supply of Homepods when it was cancelled (They even ran a 50% off promo for employees) this still doesn't make any sense to me.

Binary Badger posted:

Did the OG have temp and humidity sensors?

I just asked Siri on my Mini what the temp was in here and she said sorry I cant do that

Just the mini, but it's never been user accessible- maybe next week!

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

wooger posted:

When you cancel a product so you can rework it and make it cheap enough to make sense, you need to make it cheaper.

They still haven’t realised this with the apple tv either. In both categories market share > all, don’t price gouge.

That's the part I don't get, they DID drop the price on the Apple TV without gutting it- they're never gonna play in the firestick 30 dollar range, but it was a significant price drop. When the homepod rumors started leaking out I would have bet on $200 bucks or so as a step up from the mini but this is lollerskates. Oh well, maybe V.3 will be better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

priznat posted:

Yah I have a couple of those little weno plugs and they’re great and integrate with homekit well!

I'm not a smart home person in the least, but I have one of those plugs explicitly for a space heater in my office after one too many "I turned that off didn't I? Gotta go check" nights and it's great. If you're going to be homepoding it, you can also use Shortcuts to set up a custom Siri command for heat on/off etc.

The harder part was finding a decent space heater that didn't need to be explicitly turned on and just came on with power.