Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

qirex posted:

The HomePod is just too closed off, I've been wanting to get rid of my Sonos but I listen to Tidal, Mixcloud, local music and want music alarms, sleep timers and a bunch of other stuff that was available on every $199 mini system 20 years ago but would be cheating for some reason for Apple to include today.

The new intercom feature seems like a great way for pre-teens to annoy the poo poo out of their families though.

Wait you can't just cast audio from any app on an iPhone/iPad to them? I thought it might be cool to have a couple of the Minis for a little stereo setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I dunno if this is where to put this but like I’ve got a homepod mini in my office pretty much just to airplay stuff from my phone.

But it does home assistant stuff too apparently? I just want a smart plug that I can turn on a heater in the morning. I looked up the ikea stuff but apparently you need a hub and you still need a separate app?

Is there anything that I can just buy that works with apple home stuff that doesn’t need another account or app?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

If you just want a on/off outlet the wemo stuff I think works out of the box and sets up entirely on HomeKit without needing their app.

Yeah just doing a quick search shows that it can be configured in the home app. Didn’t realise they were a belkin thing as they seem to be fairly close to apple. That’s brilliant thanks

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

GoatSeeGuy posted:

I'm not a smart home person in the least, but I have one of those plugs explicitly for a space heater in my office after one too many "I turned that off didn't I? Gotta go check" nights and it's great. If you're going to be homepoding it, you can also use Shortcuts to set up a custom Siri command for heat on/off etc.

The harder part was finding a decent space heater that didn't need to be explicitly turned on and just came on with power.

It’s pretty much that except it’s an electric radiator. My office is separate from the rest of the house and while it’s insulated it does take a bit of time to warm up.

So I don’t have to bother going in, turning it on and then waiting for the room not to be freezing.

The temp sensors being available on the mini also sounds pretty neat.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Yup the sensors work for me although they did take a while to calibrate. Useful as I can set up an automation to turn the radiator in the office if the temp gets too low.

Not really sure what the humidity means its like 46% on a rainy day.