Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Jerusalem posted:

Shinsuke vs AJ at Mania is what I've wanted ever since they both came to WWE, and we're getting it this year and it is going to absolutely rule.

I'm terrified they are only going to get like 15 minutes. If they don't get at least 30 I'm going to be disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I’m back from universe B where Ronda didn’t debut and instead of water it rains candy, and it’s weird but there’s no press about Asuka winning.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Astro7x posted:

Agreed.

Like, it would have made a small bit of sense if Asuka picked Alexa and then Rhonda came out to challenge Charlotte. But whatever, that’s just nitpicky

After years of bad Rumbles, WWE knocked it out of the park with two great ones. I think having all the legends return really made it a lot of fun, so kudos to them for making a 30 Woman Rumble work with a main roster of 20.

Its funny because I absolutely know they were going for "I got the loser" but somehow they didn't seem to put any real thought in how to clearly express that without giving away who Asuka was going to choose. And her offering a handshake to Asuka and her slapping it away just kind of muddied that more.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Aphrodite posted:

I’m back from universe B where Ronda didn’t debut and instead of water it rains candy, and it’s weird but there’s no press about Asuka winning.

Uh actually dude Asuka is on the front page of espn oh wait I misread that's actually Ronda Rousey whoops

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

lol mainstream newz has been talking about wrestling lots lately and it hasn't helped ratings

rousey will get a few eyeballs and then people will shrug and, unless Braun is throwing cars at someone, turn the channel

(also lol espn running a name is more important than making our own names matter guys!")

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

GrimGypsy posted:

"lol mainstream newz has been talking about wrestling lots lately and it hasn't helped ratings

rousey will get a few eyeballs and then people will shrug and, unless Braun is throwing cars at someone, turn the channel

(also lol espn running a name is more important than making our own names matter guys!")"

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I feel like WWE fans probably really take the whole ESPN thing more seriously than they probably should. No one who didn't like wrestling before is liking wrestling more because they have to scroll past a RAW result to get to their sport of choice.

The Rousey thing could MAYBE move the needle just because non-wrestling fans might recognize her in a headline and have their curiosity piqued. But it seems unlikely she's going to kick off a boom. Even if she draws eyes to RAW its still on WWE to keep them. And, well...

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

jinder getting eliminated and then immediately getting pancakes thrown all over him by E and Xavier was loving hilarious

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

DLC Inc posted:

jinder getting eliminated and then immediately getting pancakes thrown all over him by E and Xavier was loving hilarious

WWE completely making GBS threads on Jinder and Ziggler was amazing

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

If the women had more dedicated time, this might also be a better way to draw eyes.

As it is, the women will get 2 segments on a given Raw - often only 1 on Smackdown. That's not much room to build the champs and everyone else, especially when you have one character each (Asuka & presumably Rousey) who is meant to be the murdermachine of the bunch. Do you put her on Smackdown and make basically the entire women's division there just her squashing local jobbers and occasionally Riot Squad members? Do you stick her on Raw in big group matches where you tease but don't give away the Asuka confrontation, yet try to at least keep your other workers looking somewhat strong?

Giving the women their own show would be rad and would solve a lot of problems but I dunno how it would do, and I don't think even "A Big Star" being added to the roster would get it much more than some initial looks

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

people getting upset at transphobic megastar soiling and desecrating the memory of huge racist roddy piper

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Feels Villeneuve posted:

oh yeah I forgot Ziggler got shitcanned immediately. that owned.

im legit glad Balor made it to Final Four. Says a lot that he went from No. 2 all the way to the end. Hoping he gets a killer match with somebody at Mania but not sure who he could line up with.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

DLC Inc posted:

im legit glad Balor made it to Final Four. Says a lot that he went from No. 2 all the way to the end. Hoping he gets a killer match with somebody at Mania but not sure who he could line up with.

isnt finn the new ziggler?

mgiht as well match em

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

I wish they wouldn't have eaten up the surprise #30 spot with it but whatever, that just made it kinda funnier that he did squat

I could see Balor Club going for the Tag/IC titles at Mania, if they're really going with them as a stable. Balor Club vs Miztourage would be a fun feud.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Zyla posted:

isnt finn the new ziggler?

mgiht as well match em

extremely hosed up take

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

ronda direction is a tag match vs hhh and steph at mania fwiw.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the main takeaway i had from the woman's rumble was how many of the 2000s and even Attitude women can still go

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the main takeaway i had from the woman's rumble was how many of the 2000s and even Attitude women can still go

and they didn't even get Victoria, who still kills it when she does Indy shows

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Astro7x posted:

After years of bad Rumbles, WWE knocked it out of the park with two great ones. I think having all the legends return really made it a lot of fun, so kudos to them for making a 30 Woman Rumble work with a main roster of 20.
Serious kudos for not making all the legends suck the fun out of it, really well done.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

GrimGypsy posted:

Giving the women their own show would be rad and would solve a lot of problems but I dunno how it would do, and I don't think even "A Big Star" being added to the roster would get it much more than some initial looks

A women's show could totally replace 205 live if it focused on Women's Tag Titles. Hell, the women are under 205 (Sorry Nia), just make them part of the show from now on.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

MazelTovCocktail posted:

That show was soooooooo goddamn awesome live.
:hfive: Yes it was, that was a great show and my ears are ringing and I'm hoarse.

Also today I learned that Trish Stratus is loving tiny and that if you get floor seats they let you literally take the seat home with you, so that was cool, it's fun to learn things. I'm very tired now.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Astro7x posted:

A women's show could totally replace 205 live if it focused on Women's Tag Titles. Hell, the women are under 205 (Sorry Nia), just make them part of the show from now on.
Replace? No, WWE needs more programming. More! MORE!

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

DLC Inc posted:

My frontrunner would be Rollins, who's also a talented guy who will need something to do and has no opponent lined up. If you want to do proper unstoppable megapowers holding the tag titles (like Ambrose and Rollins probably would have been for awhile with no injuries), you could have Rollins and Balor team and go after the tag titles, but that doesn't seem like a good fit.

You could also throw Rollins or Balor at Braun, another big-deal guy who will need a match. Maybe Rollins and Braun vs. the Balor club?

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Both the winners of the Rumbles were the right pick but the womens one was not very good because it was basically a bunch of people who haven't wrestled for a decade or more making the crowd pop with their entrance music before they went back to deadly silence again once they remembered that most of these people were poo poo even when they were active wrestlers.

Also, they sort of buried a lot of the current roster by having them eliminated by people we won't see in the ring again until the next Rumble.

The Rousey bit sort of sucked as well. "Hey guys, your fan favourite won, isn't that cool? Let's all enj.................... gently caress THAT! RONDA ROUSEY!"

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
The women’s rumble wasn’t a very pleasant viewing experience, the announcing was awful and it was hard to keep track of who was still in the match because they’d all roll to the floor to get out of the way.

Really happy they found a way to book Asuka to win while also getting their Ronda moment. Was afraid they’d do a cheap elimination of Asuka then trot out the “undefeated in SINGLES competition” line (I know she lost some tag matches years ago, but it’s different)

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you
I enjoyed the PPV skipped the Rollins Jason match but thought it was good.

Glad at the rumble winners, bit confused at how they did the Rousey segment I kinda think she stole some of Asukas moment (guess it was to cover her lack of English)

And I've got to sound like a creeper here but drat did Trish Stratus find the fountain of youth or something?!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

triplexpac posted:

The women’s rumble wasn’t a very pleasant viewing experience, the announcing was awful and it was hard to keep track of who was still in the match because they’d all roll to the floor to get out of the way.

Really happy they found a way to book Asuka to win while also getting their Ronda moment. Was afraid they’d do a cheap elimination of Asuka then trot out the “undefeated in SINGLES competition” line (I know she lost some tag matches years ago, but it’s different)

She had 2 non wins in 2017, so it's not like it was that long ago.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Pretty fantastic weekend of pro graps all around.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

GrimGypsy posted:

and they didn't even get Victoria, who still kills it when she does Indy shows

i know she was in philly she was wrestling for tommy dreamer's promotion

plus yeah she's still wrestling on a fairly regular basis unlike basically all of the other returnees

wonder if they're irrationally angry at her for some reason

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Live audience loved the making GBS threads on Jinder.

Also while not obvious on the network. Everyone booed the poo poo out of Baron.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

GrimGypsy posted:

lol mainstream newz has been talking about wrestling lots lately and it hasn't helped ratings

(also lol espn running a name is more important than making our own names matter guys!")

I would watch an ESPN that leads with Braun flipping cars with his bare hands every night.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I mean, if an internationally famous athlete came up to me interested in doing my downtrodden sports entertainment thing, I'd probably give them the spotlight for a while. I wouldn't be surprised if Punk as a freak show pulled better PPV numbers than Mighty Mouse ever did as champ. Ronda is big enough, and has actual combat sports pedigree so you can sell her as a true contender real fast to your benefit.

Shawn Cotureier
Jan 21, 2009

Still better than Umberger
I was at the show last night and an underrated moment (because it wasn’t on camera) was Kairi doing a Naruto run back up the ramp after getting eliminated

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I don't even think there's a single yacht in Naruto

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Shawn Cotureier posted:

I was at the show last night and an underrated moment (because it wasn’t on camera) was Kairi doing a Naruto run back up the ramp after getting eliminated

Kairi Sane rules

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Thinking back, none of the returning women are currently working right?

They probably didn't want to have anyone who could show up on another show later this week.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

SalTheBard posted:

I'm terrified they are only going to get like 15 minutes. If they don't get at least 30 I'm going to be disappointed.
I accepted a while ago that if AJ/Nakamura would be at Wrestlemania, 15 minutes would be the upper limit, but I still think both guys could do a lot with a sprint if time wasn't given for an epic.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Shawn Cotureier posted:

Last night was my introduction to Kairi and I love her

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Coaaab posted:

I accepted a while ago that if AJ/Nakamura would be at Wrestlemania, 15 minutes would be the upper limit, but I still think both guys could do a lot with a sprint if time wasn't given for an epic.

If Mania is between 6 and 7 hours there is no reason to not at least give them 25 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

SalTheBard posted:

If Mania is between 6 and 7 hours there is no reason to not at least give them 25 minutes.

There's one good reason. They don't want them to outshine Roman and Brock because they aren't as important

• Locked thread