Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ChiTownEddie posted:

Any ideas on how to provide incentive to give some token effort?

Switch to h2h

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
H2H is a god damned bastard and I hate it but it is better than chasing the #1 in roto

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Points is for getting your fantasy football friends to convert
H2H is for fun and actually enjoy the slog of a 26 week season.
Roto is for the autistics among us who demand to know who was best.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
My favorite league is kind of a hybrid roto/H2H. The actual matchups are weekly H2H categories, but you keep the "points" for each category rather than just winning or losing the week. So if I win AVG/SLG/K but lose everything else, I would be 3-7 that week rather than just 0-1.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Inspector_666 posted:

My favorite league is kind of a hybrid roto/H2H. The actual matchups are weekly H2H categories, but you keep the "points" for each category rather than just winning or losing the week. So if I win AVG/SLG/K but lose everything else, I would be 3-7 that week rather than just 0-1.

Any other way of playing H2H is a goddamn abomination as far as I'm concerned.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Spoeank posted:

Any other way of playing H2H is a goddamn abomination as far as I'm concerned.

Yeah, the binary weekly win/loss is a terrible way to handle baseball. One of my leagues does it and I hate it but it's also probably the most lively and fun ownership group so I put up with it.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I actually dream of a hybrid h2h/roto where season is H2H like Inspector said but the playoffs are Roto cats so you don't lose a 26 week season due to one week of cold pitching/batting.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Inspector_666 posted:

that is normal h2h as far as I'm concerned

unless you do a points league I guess

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
What on earth is the holdup with Yahoo? They're like 2 weeks behind schedule.

This reminds me of the last FIFA World Cup when they finally opened the pick'em like 2 days before the tournament started.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
I dream of a H2H season that ends with a 4-6 week roto period for the qualifying playoff teams

Doltos posted:

I actually dream of a hybrid h2h/roto where season is H2H like Inspector said but the playoffs are Roto cats so you don't lose a 26 week season due to one week of cold pitching/batting.

yes

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i would enjoy h2h far more if the matchups lasted 2 weeks rather than 1

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Abel Wingnut posted:

i would enjoy h2h far more if the matchups lasted 2 weeks rather than 1

Our finals are 2 weeks so that it's a better sample size.

Anyone else starting to wonder where their ESPN league went?

e: this has been up way longer than usual, I blame Ohtani! http://games.espn.com/frontpage/baseballmaint

kensei fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Feb 12, 2018

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
BSOHL alert:

https://twitter.com/THEREAL_DV/status/963457755011997696

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Uhhh, I haven't seen Matt Kemp play in a few years. How big did he get?

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Matt Kemp was fat. His real problem is that he can't play the field daily without breaking down, which is why he should be DH'ing.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

They should do what literally everyone on earth agrees with: Bring the DH to the NL

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Moneyball posted:

They should do what literally everyone on earth agrees with: Bring the DH to the NL

:emptyquote:

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Either mocks are open or someone found the testing mock lobby.

http://games.qa.espn.go.com/flb/mockdraftlobby

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Are we doing another 20 dollar goon league this year?

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!

Doltos posted:

Are we doing another 20 dollar goon league this year?

Yes, I will set it up whenever Yahoo finally opens for the season.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Moneyball posted:

m-bison-yes.gif

Also, ESPN post about Ohtani: http://www.espn.com/fantasy/baseball/story/_/id/22384106/fantasy-baseball-how-utilize-shohei-ohtani-espn-fantasy-baseball-leagues

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

That's an interesting solution to the problem.

I've been trying to figure out how I want to handle the potential of Yahoo making Ohtani two players this year but then combining him into one player in the future for our dynasty-lite league and it's a nightmare. I want to make sure that we have a plan in place before the draft so the owners can't get caught off guard if/when it happens. So far all I can come up with is:

1: Pick one of the Ohtanis. This is the true Ohtani, and he absorbs the other one. The owner of the false Ohtani receives no compensation.

2: Similar to option 1 but set compensation that will be given up to absorb the other Ohtani. If the owner does not have that draft pick then it will go to the next highest round (and so on). I'd also probably require the True Ohtani owner to always have an eligible draft pick should the need arise.

3: A sort of silent auction where the two owners "bid" what they would give up and what they would accept to gain or lose an Ohtani. Highest compensation that works under their bids wins.

I'm leaning towards option 2 because option 1 is a little lame and option 3 seems like I'm overcomplicating it.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

I've been trying to figure out how I want to handle the potential of Yahoo making Ohtani two players this year but then combining him into one player in the future for our dynasty-lite league and it's a nightmare. I want to make sure that we have a plan in place before the draft so the owners can't get caught off guard if/when it happens. So far all I can come up with is:

1: Pick one of the Ohtanis. This is the true Ohtani, and he absorbs the other one. The owner of the false Ohtani receives no compensation.

2: Similar to option 1 but set compensation that will be given up to absorb the other Ohtani. If the owner does not have that draft pick then it will go to the next highest round (and so on). I'd also probably require the True Ohtani owner to always have an eligible draft pick should the need arise.

3: A sort of silent auction where the two owners "bid" what they would give up and what they would accept to gain or lose an Ohtani. Highest compensation that works under their bids wins.

I'm leaning towards option 2 because option 1 is a little lame and option 3 seems like I'm overcomplicating it.

I'm pretty sure Yahoo will do the merge after this season with all the teeth gnashing I have seen online. I would just rule that Ohtani is not able to be kept once he is merged, then let everyone go nuts trying to position for him.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

kensei posted:

I'm pretty sure Yahoo will do the merge after this season with all the teeth gnashing I have seen online. I would just rule that Ohtani is not able to be kept once he is merged, then let everyone go nuts trying to position for him.

I learned a long time ago not to try and predict what yahoo will do in the future.

Yes I understand that my previous post is all about predicting what yahoo might do in the future, but that's different because

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
I wouldn't bet on Yahoo changing anything. No one at Yahoo gives a poo poo.

Another option for Ohtani is removing the DH player from the player pool altogether so only the SP is ever owned. That should've been Yahoo's solution if they were going to be lazy about it, instead of splitting him in two.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

IcePhoenix posted:

This is the true Ohtani, and he absorbs the other one. The owner of the false Ohtani receives no compensation.

I have nothing to add except can one of these be the new thread title?

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

IcePhoenix posted:

I think option 1 is the cleanest. If you picked him as a pitcher and the Angels decide to use him as a hitter-only... welp, too bad. And vice versa. This keeps you out of the equation, and just puts it on Yahoo.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Ok Yahoo, it's the 15th. Open the drat drafts already.

edit: looks like it is supposed to open around 6 pm est tonight.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Feb 15, 2018

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

I think option 1 is the cleanest. If you picked him as a pitcher and the Angels decide to use him as a hitter-only... welp, too bad. And vice versa. This keeps you out of the equation, and just puts it on Yahoo.

I'm less worried about that and more worried about what to do if he keeps doing both and Yahoo just copies what ESPN is doing about it.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

IcePhoenix posted:

I'm less worried about that and more worried about what to do if he keeps doing both and Yahoo just copies what ESPN is doing about it.

Proactively name one of them the permanent one? Flip a coin for which one you choose, then the draftees know in advance.

Honestly, gently caress Yahoo if they change mid-stream. Either keep him as two players forever, or do what ESPN is doing (which is pretty elegant and should be what everyone does.)

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
ESPN's solution is objectively correct one, really. If a guy has SS/2B elig, I can't play him at two positions in the same day.

Plus it shouldn't even be an issue because he likely won't be hitting on his start days since the Angels won't want to give up the DH for the entirety of the game.

If Ohtani really does turn out to be the Japanese Babe Ruth I could see splitting him up for "balance" reasons (apparently in fantasy hockey there used to be two Gretzkys, one for goals and one for assists?) maybe, but in terms of positional/lineup mechanics, he should only be able to be either a DH or a pitcher on any given day.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Feb 15, 2018

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Fantrax, CBS, & ESPN all did it the same way. Only Yahoo hosed it up.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Yahoo is open finally.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's so sad to see Miguel Cabrera going in the 60s

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Moneyball posted:

It's so sad to see Miguel Cabrera going in the 60s

But enough about when he was born

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Spoeank posted:

But enough about when he was born

This guy

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The Ohtani post went over about as well as I expected :munch:

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Is there a way to set an IP MINIMUM in Yahoo?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Is there a way to set an IP MINIMUM in Yahoo?

I know there is in h2h, not sure about roto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Doesn't wanting to win discourage going much lower than everyone else? If winning ratios and saves with 12 points but getting 1 in wins and strikeouts isn't punishment enough, you can add starter only categories.

• Locked thread