Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

IcePhoenix posted:

The Ohtani post went over about as well as I expected :munch:

That is more worked up than I would have thought anyone would be over this particular subject...

Hell, I thought it kinda sucked that we immediately implemented the "keep 7+" rule after I did a ton of trading for draft picks... but I didn't blow a gasket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mid
Aug 2, 2002

Bang.

IcePhoenix posted:

I know there is in h2h, not sure about roto

There is in roto as well, it is just total IP for the season instead of weekly IP.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Moneyball posted:

Doesn't wanting to win discourage going much lower than everyone else? If winning ratios and saves with 12 points but getting 1 in wins and strikeouts isn't punishment enough, you can add starter only categories.

I have QS and CG, but also saves and the rest are ratio categories, so you could go 1-1-12-12-12-12-12.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

I like to do at least one draft at the start of spring to try to take advantage of the early rankings, so here is Team #1 in the books. I had the 9th pick.

12 team H2H yahoo 5x5

I didn't intend to take so many Cardinals, it just kinda happened that way. I didn't really know what I was doing the last 5 rounds or so.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

What was your pick order?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
re:Whit

https://twitter.com/jeffwzimmerman/status/964519384084557825

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

IcePhoenix posted:

What was your pick order?

1. (9) Charlie Blackmon (Col - OF)
2. (16) Manny Machado (Bal - 3B)
3. (33) Carlos Carrasco (Cle - SP)
4. (40) Marcell Ozuna (StL - OF)
5. (57) Miguel Cabrera (Det - 1B)
6. (64) Tommy Pham (StL - OF)
7. (81) Whit Merrifield (KC - 2B,OF)
8. (88) Shohei Ohtani (Pitcher) (LAA - SP)
9. (105) Travis Shaw (Mil - 3B)
10. (112) Alex Colomé (TB - RP)
11. (129) Sonny Gray (NYY - SP)
12. (136) J.T. Realmuto (Mia - C,1B)
13. (153) Ronald Acuña (Atl - OF)
14. (160) Josh Bell (Pit - 1B)
15. (177) Greg Holland (Col - RP)
16. (184) Garrett Richards (LAA - SP)
17. (201) Paul DeJong (StL - 2B,SS)
18. (208) Michael Wacha (StL - SP)
19. (225) Shane Greene (Det - RP)
20. (232) Blake Parker (LAA - RP)
21. (249) Álex Reyes (StL - SP)
22. (256) Luke Gregerson (StL - RP)
23. (273) Aaron Hicks (NYY - OF)

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I, for one, am hoping that you got a complete steal with Hicks there.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

I like to do at least one draft

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Moneyball posted:

It's so sad to see Miguel Cabrera going in the 60s

Thanks to Brad Ausmus for playing him with TWO herniated discs in his back on a team that was eliminated by May.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
Seeing "Shohei Ohtani (Pitcher)" just really pissed me off

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Yahoo's worst design will always be the 20 character limit on team names.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
The thread for the $20 league is up!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3849541&pagenumber=1#lastpost

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

After a league has already been created and has had teams join, ca I change it to a keeper league? Don't see that option on the app.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I just had a really weird moment where I realized that I might actually be deciding to keep a guy based on whether or not we get a BSOHL report about him.

It is Miguel Sano

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

In our keeper league, I got this ultra stupid trade offer today. As if I would trade a dirt cheap Turner for any of those dudes, and it sure the poo poo doesn't make sense to keep all four of them with salary increases...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

laff

what's the deal with greg bird? have his injuries been freak accidents, or is he just the type who's prone to injury?

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Last year he had an ankle injury that was misdiagnosed for the whole year. When they finally diagnosed it correctly, they fixed it and he mashed.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Here's my dumb question: In an auction league, I'm incredibly tempted to put guys like Arrieta, Lynn, and even Cobb up on the block really early. Either guys think I'm playing some 8 dimensional chess and bid real money or I have the chance to get them for peanuts. Is that dumb?

Abel Wingnut posted:

what's the deal with greg bird? have his injuries been freak accidents, or is he just the type who's prone to injury?

Somewhere in between, which I know is a cop-out. His shoulder injury wasn't the type of thing that's caused by an underlying condition or anything, and his foot injury was a bizarre rare thing that even doctors were stumped by for most of the season, and was aggravated by a random spring training foul ball.

He'll fuckin' produce if he's healthy (we can already see that neither injury really sapped his power) and I think he's pretty goddamn motivated to silence the naysayers this year (Randy loving Levine) but I wouldn't reach for him, I don't think.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Feb 22, 2018

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc

IcePhoenix posted:

I just had a really weird moment where I realized that I might actually be deciding to keep a guy based on whether or not we get a BSOHL report about him.

It is Miguel Sano

Welp

quote:

Twins GM Thad Levine noted this week that Miguel Sano brought a "generous carriage" into spring training.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I saw that, yeah. I'm gonna try to trade him before our draft. Still might keep him anyway as a "just in case" or because I might still be able to trade him in season, but who knows.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

what does that even mean? never heard that expression. added weight, i’m guessing?

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Diplomatic way to say fat gently caress.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Abel Wingnut posted:

what does that even mean? never heard that expression. added weight, i’m guessing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of8kY_IbYq4

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

So in this league a 2 for 1 trade just went down, and while the trade itself is boring, since it is a 2 for 1 someone had to get dropped. And that someone is Corey Knebel. I have the #3 waiver (the guy who dropped him is #2) so I have a good chance at getting him.

Who do I drop here?

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

Turns out that most of his workout regimen consisted of attempted sexual assaults.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

So in this league a 2 for 1 trade just went down, and while the trade itself is boring, since it is a 2 for 1 someone had to get dropped. And that someone is Corey Knebel. I have the #3 waiver (the guy who dropped him is #2) so I have a good chance at getting him.

Who do I drop here?

Is this a dynasty league? That team is stacked with ace prospects.

For your question, I'm dropping Parker. CBC there, while Knebel is a stud.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Okay am I crazy...from a 'dont count wins general player quality perspective' who do you all like for 2018: Berrios or Nola?

Because in my league slack channel I seem to be in the minority with Nola.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
BIG MONEY LEAGUE draft, was a snake, 12 team h2h points

C Evan Gattis, Hou
1B Joey Votto, Cin
2B Robinson Cano, Sea
3B Kyle Seager, Sea
SS Didi Gregorius, NYY
2B/SS Yoan Moncada, CWS
1B/3B Jose Abreu, CWS
OF Justin Upton, LAA
OF Tommy Pham, StL
OF Kole Calhoun, LAA
OF Kyle Schwarber, ChC
OF Michael Brantley, Cle
U Carlos Santana, Phi

Bench Zack Cozart, LAA SS
Bench Matt Davidson, CWS
Bench Ryon Healy, Sea 3B, 1B, DH DTD

P Clayton Kershaw, LAD
P Wade Davis, Col RP
P Sean Doolittle, Wsh RP
P Brandon Morrow, ChC RP
P Hector Neris, Phi RP
P Joakim Soria, CWS RP
P Felix Hernandez, Sea SP
P Lucas Giolito, CWS SP
P Marco Estrada, Tor SP

I tried a new approach with pitching: took Kershaw with the 11th pick, then ALL RELIEVERS ALL THE TIME while streaming 3 slots with 2-start guys. OF is...rough, but I think it has a lot of upside. OF is always rough in 12 team leagues with 5 OF slots though, I guess. I tried to focus again on high OPB guys which has worked fairly well for me in points leagues.

Ask me in September how this approach to pitching worked.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ChiTownEddie posted:

Okay am I crazy...from a 'dont count wins general player quality perspective' who do you all like for 2018: Berrios or Nola?

Because in my league slack channel I seem to be in the minority with Nola.

PitcherList has Nola 12 spots ahead of Berrios in their rankings so I'd assume that for the most part you're not in the minority.

Also because I forgot to respond to this

Inspector_666 posted:

Here's my dumb question: In an auction league, I'm incredibly tempted to put guys like Arrieta, Lynn, and even Cobb up on the block really early. Either guys think I'm playing some 8 dimensional chess and bid real money or I have the chance to get them for peanuts. Is that dumb?

Part one of IcePhoenix's Super Secret Auction Strategy: don't nominate guys you actually want for at least the first half of the draft, because everyone else will spend money on them and have less money/positional availability for when the guys you do want get nominated.

And if you get them for cheap...uh, yeah, duh. Those guys as lotto tickets are way better than the lotto tickets you get in the back half.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
Texts from fantasy baseball alerts about players being benched for spring training games.

Sigh

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
What's the opinion on Buxton? This is the second year in a row he's had an amazing second half and has really high draft ratings.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

59th on Yahoo, I would probably pass him by myself. I tend to always be either a year too early or a year too late though. He's got the skill to be a .280 25/25 guy and more, right? I'd be more inclined to see if he struggles out of the gate and see if his owner will deal him for less.

Yuli Guerriel, anyone?

I've been taking a late flyer on him in mocks and real drafts. I know people hate bench bats in most league setups, but he's hit for average and has a bit of pop, just not as a 1B. His OBP isn't impressive, but he somehow hit .299 with only an average BABIP, so seems like .299 can be repeated, right? There's talk of him being moved around the infield, so if he could pick up even 2B eligibility, that would be a nice boost in value.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Rand alPaul posted:

What's the opinion on Buxton? This is the second year in a row he's had an amazing second half and has really high draft ratings.

That's not really true. His "amazing second half" in 2016 was in September against AAA callups. Last year he was consistent through the entire second half and seemed to have an improved approach at the plate (higher hard hit balls percentage, higher percentage of balls hit to the opposite field, etc)

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?

IcePhoenix posted:

That's not really true. His "amazing second half" in 2016 was in September against AAA callups. Last year he was consistent through the entire second half and seemed to have an improved approach at the plate (higher hard hit balls percentage, higher percentage of balls hit to the opposite field, etc)

my strategy on buxton, which will surely not work, is to let someone else pay the appropriate price for him, hope he gets off to a slow start, message his owner like "here ya go again just can't trust this guy!" and try to poach him for value.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

IcePhoenix posted:

Oh that's right he had a crazy good September in 2016.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Rand alPaul posted:

Oh that's right he had a crazy good September in 2016.

Yeah, and he was in AAA for basically all of August, which skews his "second half" numbers even more if you only look at slash line

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Anyone interested in joining a $50 buy-in keeper Yahoo league? My friends and I do one each year but need as competitive a league as possible.

https://baseball.fantasysports.yahoo.com/b1/4698/invitation?key=4b20e28d11dbfebf&soc_trk=lnk&ikey=2e4727b0f12be2ba

Brodeurs Nanny fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Feb 24, 2018

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

bewbies posted:

BIG MONEY LEAGUE draft, was a snake, 12 team h2h points

C Evan Gattis, Hou
1B Joey Votto, Cin
2B Robinson Cano, Sea
3B Kyle Seager, Sea
SS Didi Gregorius, NYY
2B/SS Yoan Moncada, CWS
1B/3B Jose Abreu, CWS
OF Justin Upton, LAA
OF Tommy Pham, StL
OF Kole Calhoun, LAA
OF Kyle Schwarber, ChC
OF Michael Brantley, Cle
U Carlos Santana, Phi

Bench Zack Cozart, LAA SS
Bench Matt Davidson, CWS
Bench Ryon Healy, Sea 3B, 1B, DH DTD

P Clayton Kershaw, LAD
P Wade Davis, Col RP
P Sean Doolittle, Wsh RP
P Brandon Morrow, ChC RP
P Hector Neris, Phi RP
P Joakim Soria, CWS RP
P Felix Hernandez, Sea SP
P Lucas Giolito, CWS SP
P Marco Estrada, Tor SP

I tried a new approach with pitching: took Kershaw with the 11th pick, then ALL RELIEVERS ALL THE TIME while streaming 3 slots with 2-start guys. OF is...rough, but I think it has a lot of upside. OF is always rough in 12 team leagues with 5 OF slots though, I guess. I tried to focus again on high OPB guys which has worked fairly well for me in points leagues.

Ask me in September how this approach to pitching worked.

Your hitters look good. I actually like your OF for the most part, but I'd probably drop Matt Davidson in favor of a high upside, risky backup for Brantley's inevitable DL trip. Your pitching is Real Bad, but good luck finding quality streamers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Anyone interested in joining a $50 buy-in keeper Yahoo league? My friends and I do one each year but need as competitive a league as possible.

https://baseball.fantasysports.yahoo.com/b1/4698

You are not allowed to view this page because you are not in this league. (Error #152)

• Locked thread