Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

If I sub to Fallout 1st can friends of mine join me in a private world if they don't have 1st?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

explosivo posted:

If I sub to Fallout 1st can friends of mine join me in a private world if they don't have 1st?

I was curious about this to and found this on their website:

quote:

Your Private Adventure and Custom Worlds are provided on-demand and will shut down if at least one Fallout 1st member is not present on them. Note players are not required to have Fallout 1st membership in order to access another player’s Private Adventure or Custom World, only to start their own.

So it would work as long as you stay logged in.

e: some random reddit post said this "About 5 minutes after the last FO1st member leaves a private world a message with a 30 minute countdown to shutdown appears in the top right corner."

Damn Dirty Ape fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Apr 27, 2024

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I was curious about this to and found this on their website:

So it would work as long as you stay logged in.

Figured that would be the case, thanks for doing the research :D

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

please please please read up on eviction notice before joining it so you don't accidentally start it. not only is it embarrassing to fail at the repair the rad scrubber stage because you don't have time to hop into power armor but if you wait a few everyone will contact their friends to come in and you get lunchboxes and it won't fail

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

Black Griffon posted:

Yeah never figured it out, so first floor it is. All guests receive a goodie bag of 50-80 rads straight to the marrow.

The problem was most likely that the vault tiles are just buggy. You want to build with the standard door and wall/floor tiles first and then replace them in after.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

A few tips for the new FO76 players (note in some cases I may be remembering early stuff wrong since it's been a while since I was low level).

-Never forget you can change your perks at any time. Just open up your pipboy and hit the appropriate button (I think it is 'T' on the PC). The SPECIAL punch card thingee you see at train stations allows you to change your SPECIAL stats, but you can change your equipped perks anywhere.

-Early on it can be helpful to pick up the lockpicking and hacking perks to get more loot (remember you don't need to keep them equipped at all times).

-Jump servers often to complete quests, it's quick and easy. Are you trying to do a mission but somebody killed all the gulpers or whatever? Just drop out and join a new server. Even when I have falllout 1st active I rarely bother making a personal server.

-To the southwest of the entrance to vault 76 (the one you start with) is a brotherhood of steel encampment 'Forward Station Tango'. This is a safe base with a lot of ammo boxes laying around. Equip the 'scrounger' perk for even more ammo from all of these duffle bags and ammo boxes.

-Join a casual group! Even with no perks or anything you get an INT bonus for everybody else in the group. I think each point of INT is like a +3% xp gain. Casual groups are for people running around doing their own thing and it's kind of understood everyone is joining it for the bonuses. Also, you get free instant travel to your groupmates, their CAMPs, and their survival tents. This is a great way to unlock waypoints early on in the game, particularly the free ones.

-A lot of group perks are great! Inspirational gets you a +15% xp bonus just for being in a group.

- Put down a camp! Even if you don't really use it, you can always travel for free to it from anywhere in the map.

-Unlock as many free waypoints as you can to get around cheaper! You start with Vault 76 as a free waypoint, but there are a lot of others spread throughout the map. Whitesprings, the Rusty Pick, Fort Atlas, Crater, Foundation, Nuka World. I may be forgetting some.

-To save on travel costs, travel to a free waypoint close to where you want to end up first (travel cost is measured based on how far you are going). Also you can equip the travel agent perk to cut down costs and join groups to warp to them.

-Whitesprings Mall is your home away from home. I don't remember when you first get access to it, but it has all crafting benches, all stash boxes, a vendor, and scrip/ammo/bullion/etc machines all in one room.

-There is a fountain outside of whitesprings that heals all diseases for free. Most higher leveled players will have a Sympto-matic somewhere in their camp that will also cure diseases for free.

-All vendors share the same cap allotment and refill to 1400 caps a day (there are events where they get more). It doesn't matter what vendor you go to, it's the same 1400 caps that you can get selling crap to them (so if a vendor in the forest has 500 caps available so will a vendor on the complete other side of the map). Vendors DO add a percentage of caps back when you buy stuff from them, so I will typically clear them of caps, buy the expensive thing, and then clear them of caps again.

- Caps max out at 40k so make sure you spend them if you are at the cap or they will just go to waste.

-Legendary scrip maxes at 6k and you can get 500 a day from shredding legendaries in the machine. If you are close to the cap go to the Rusty Pick and buy Legendary Modules until you are at 4k or whatever. Legendary Modules are what you will use to roll and craft new legendaries eventually.

-All train stations have a vendor, scrip machine, stash, SPECIAL punch card thing, and ammo/medicine vendors (*never use these they are a ripoff).

-Crafting is a good way to make money and there are perks for crafting most everything. The most important crafting perk is 'Super Duper' which gives you a flat percentage chance of crafting more stuff for free. I personally often make hats that I sell to vendors to get their 1400 caps and it ends up using about 100 cloth scraps (which is very easy to achieve with expeditions).

-Don't be shy about joining public events! You can get a lot of great rewards and high level characters will usually happily carry you through it if they are there (lately a lot of servers are full of newbies so some events may go undone).

-Do the story lines! They are pretty fun and unlock lots of great stuff.

-Clean out your inventory. There really is no need to horde most things. Stimpacks/Radaway/etc are pretty plentiful eventually so you don't need to weigh yourself down with mountains of them. Plans actually have a weight that can add up over time so make sure you sell or drop them otherwise you will end up with 100 mole miner gauntlet plans adding 25 lbs to your inventory. Also scrapping stuff almost always makes it take up less weight, particularly things like lead.

-Last tip is that the game effectively remembers the last like 255 things you've picked up. It doesn't matter if you keep it or drop it but if you are wondering why the stuff in Flatwoods never seems to respawn it is because you are not picking up enough stuff. Protip is that there is a house in Summersville with a shitload of burned books that you can go and loot up in a few minutes if you want that will effectively 'reset' your loot table.

Damn Dirty Ape fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Apr 27, 2024

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Goddamn impressive list, I literally can't think of any new tips to add besides maybe taking advantage of your perk loadouts, and curate them to your needs. I always have separate perk loadouts specifically for crafting, bartering, and 'day to day play', perked for best damage and resistances.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Can you have SPECIAL loud outs as well or just perks?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
those are the same thing in F76, loadouts are full SPECIAL and perk builds including legendary perks.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

-Join a casual group! Even with no perks or anything you get an INT bonus for everybody else in the group. I think each point of INT is like a +3% xp gain. Casual groups are for people running around doing their own thing and it's kind of understood everyone is joining it for the bonuses. Also, you get free instant travel to your groupmates, their CAMPs, and their survival tents. This is a great way to unlock waypoints early on in the game, particularly the free ones.

one of the most counter intuitive things about F76, the benefits of being in a group are server wide, so just join any public group even if you are mostly solo. also look into how to share perk cards.

consider getting mutated on Day 1 and getting the Strange In Numbers/Starched Genes perks because just having all the mutations is very positive once you get those perks/join a team. there are two basic choices: be Herbivore if you are shooty man, be Carnivore if you are melee, otherwise you pretty much want all the mutations. you can get them easily for no cost by just drinking dirty water.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bU1tGnO5TXA

I started out thinking mutations were some super advanced poo poo and no actually I should have done it the first day lol

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Apr 27, 2024

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Starched genes is super important when it comes to keeping those mutations you want.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Wee Bairns posted:

Starched genes is super important when it comes to keeping those mutations you want.

and doesn't unlock until mid level 40s. also the int hit from marsupial is pretty harsh I have trouble justifying it until level 50

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Thanks for the hints, folks! Keep em coming :D

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Just hit 50 last night and realized I never really specced in to a weapon class. I was mostly doing the sneaky sniper thing but didn't take any perks to help out my weapon damage.

Now I'm up against a lot of stuff that's not playing nice anymore...
I guess I'll just chain public events, toss around molotovs and leech xp until I can unlock those perks :negative:

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

A few more about mutations

- Getting irradiated will grant you random mutations. Using Radaway will get rid of radiation AND cure mutations. Using decontamination arches will also cure radiation and mutations (just keep using it to remove one mutation at a time). There are some decontamination arches around the map that can be used for free (Radiation Rumble event has them for instance, I think the nuclear plants have them, Whitesprings bunker) and some players have them in their camps. Starched Genes will make it so you won't gain or lose mutations.

-Drinking Brahmin milk will get rid of some radiation. Just walk up to Brahmin and 'use' them to potentially get milk. There are a lot of them walking around Flatwoods and there are ones at the Wayward. Just switch servers if somebody has killed them (good source of meat and leather too).

-Early on you can unequip your stuff and just die to remove a bunch of radiation. You aren't really punished for it.

-Nuka-Grapes remove a lot of radiation and heal you too.

-A lot of players sell serums to grant specific mutations so you don't have to rely on random chance. There are ways to get them from an NPC too, but it is kind of a higher level thing that you can get at the end of a quest line and players almost always sell them at a much much cheaper price (I sell them for 400 caps, I think the NPC vendor is like 2k caps).

Personally I didn't really bother with mutations until I could get starched genes. Almost everybody uses at least the marsupial mutation.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

the paradigm shift posted:

and doesn't unlock until mid level 40s. also the int hit from marsupial is pretty harsh I have trouble justifying it until level 50

yeah but that + bird bones + speed demon makes the lower levels so much easier and fun :shrug:

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
Yeah you can compensate the intelligence loss with food drinks and chems if you are focused on leveling up to 50

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

plus mobility is basically an xp/time buff

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

I assume support doesn't fill shop requests on weekends? I put them in yesterday and confirmed them, still nothing. It's weird that the process isn't automated.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

So I get all these mutations, then is there a way to heal radiation without removing the mutations that I should be doing to bring my HP back to full?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

brahmin milk (which you can get by milking brahmin) or a variety of nuka cola (buy these from the cola vendor inside the whitespring resort)
e: there's a common armor mod that regens rad damage also (I think)

e: Nuka Grape

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Apr 27, 2024

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

There's also legendary effects that passively heal rads. That's how I live in toxic swamp and stay rad free while keeping my mutations.
edit: beaten by an edit

CheeseSpawn posted:

The problem was most likely that the vault tiles are just buggy. You want to build with the standard door and wall/floor tiles first and then replace them in after.

Got it! What's one more weird quirk to remember when I already have to keep track of a dozen.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Flesh Forge posted:

brahmin milk (which you can get by milking brahmin) or a variety of nuka cola (buy these from the cola vendor inside the whitespring resort)

Nuka Grape in particular, also available at Nuka World On Tour, a free fast travel point, I think

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Black Griffon posted:

There's also legendary effects that passively heal rads. That's how I live in toxic swamp and stay rad free while keeping my mutations.
edit: beaten by an edit

Got it! What's one more weird quirk to remember when I already have to keep track of a dozen.

yeah I always just ran around with full health with passive rad regen, I never bothered to try to make a low health character it just seems like a nuisance.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Mormon Star Wars posted:

I saw some people trying Wasteland 2 in the thread earlier - just a note, if you bounce off Wasteland 2 DC but can't quite put your finger on why, try playing the original release instead. (It's a separate install.)

I picked up Wasteland 3 this week and I'm really enjoying the vibe from the little sliver I've played. Is there still a Wasteland thread here?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Sweet, got all the mutations and was able to chug enough milk to remove the radiation damage. Thanks for all the helpful tips, it's a bit daunting trying to figure out all this stuff. I also now see the benefit of just playing public servers with casual groups. I was honestly expecting griefing a la GTA:O but so far everybody I've run across seems to be pretty chill?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

there is pvp but it's extremely dumb, make sure you have all that poo poo disabled. otherwise just run around picking flowers and whatever, it's pretty fun

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Is there a reason why casual teams I'm joining aren't sharing perks? Is there a downside to it that I'm not realizing or do pubbies just not know it's a thing they can do?

Edit: Oh I guess not everybody puts points into charisma.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Apr 27, 2024

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

because a lot of people just don't know, yeah, and practically everyone SHOULD take at least a little charisma for things like Tenderizer and Party Girl (especially if you are herbivore, some of the best drinks double dip this iirc)

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Found 1 dang magazine in the last 2 days. After finding like 5 right away when I started playing again. Argh. Been mixing up the spots I check, picking up and dropping burnt stuff and junk to help "reset" the spawns, and nothing.

But at least it's fun running around in stealth armor with a big facebreaker melee weapon. Bought the cookie jar with my leftover Atoms so now I've got cookies, water, and coffee in my ramshackle camp. Stuck my shelter tent close to Fissure Prime so I can head there in case Scorched Earth ever starts up before I get ready to do it myself.

Low level players keep asking me stuff because I'm level 110 and I feel dumb when I tell them I don't remember anything, I just started playing again. But I drop some water and stimpaks for them so I can feel a little helpful.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fp3TOm48m8E

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Paying2Lurk posted:

Found 1 dang magazine in the last 2 days. After finding like 5 right away when I started playing again. Argh. Been mixing up the spots I check, picking up and dropping burnt stuff and junk to help "reset" the spawns, and nothing.

you don't have to reset spawns for magazines they're spawned or not based on rng any time someone goes through the area. I just copied other people's routes on YouTube which gave me like twenty spots to check and only took about ten minutes

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
I have a Fallout 76 tip, but I'm only level 38 so if any vets want to step on it, go ahead. I should mention that I have been playing exclusively solo without a group, so this might change if you like to team up.

I found that doing a bunch of main story quests straight out of the gate kind of sucked. They were very tutorial-y when I already knew Fallout games pretty well but the big problem is that a lot of the early quests seemed like they were a terrible use of my time in terms of XP/progress when I really just wanted to ge a few perks early to make life easier. (Especially Rose, just skip that poo poo for a while if you want to level. Trust me.)

I found that just running around to different POIs and killing poo poo was more fun and a lot more rewarding with XP, and also allowed me to stock up on mats. Once I had leveled a bunch, I also had a bunch of caps as well as map markers to fast travel to. This made questing MUCH more enjoyable, since I didn't have to spend 10-20 minutes running to quest markers and back just to kill one or two things or grab a macguffin. This also meant that quests became an effective XP/hour activity.

So TLDR: Run around exploring first, switch to quests after leveling a bit and filling out the map/POIs.

Bonus tip: Corn soup is amazing. You just need corn and boiled water and it takes care of hunger AND thirst. Grow corn and keep a stockpile of boiled water and you can keep the bonuses up forever. I've been leveling with the END perk that removes rads from food/drink as well. Bind it to a hotkey and mash it a few times every 20 minutes and you're golden.

Edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTMyOnNlE4o

33:00 vs 3:00

Mr Scumbag fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Apr 28, 2024

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

If I’m just grabbing a mod or two (sim settlements 2 specifically) can I grab that through the ingame mod shop or should I still do all the other hoops and things? Was gonna just play vanilla but if I can grab some things ingame I’m tempted.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Seriously, what the heck is up with the sound in FO4 on PC. It's basically random if the main channel transmits to my headphones when I start up and I have to restart a bunch to see whether or not it works (I can tell if the main menu music plays).

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Wait, how do you put junk items in to the camp like shown in that video?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
FO4: I caught an illness. I don't know how - I was eating baked/roasted meats and purified water only and didn't take any Rad-X / Rad-Away

is it because I didn't eat/drink before I went to sleep for 12 hours?