Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Megazver posted:

I thought there was a 50% off deal on Fallout 1st available right now. Did they nix it or is it no longer available because I tried that limited free week?

Either way, boo hiss.

It’s free on prime gaming, if you have that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I'm guessing the deal went away on steam when the week turned and the store refreshed and everything.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Yeah, they said it was until 5/9, which is why I wasn't sure what was happening.

https://twitter.com/Fallout/status/1778475604309913782

Oh well.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Ah yeah nah then they hosed up, but then again why wouldn't they.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
So I got 1st because why not. What should I spend my 1700 fun bux on? There's a lot of stuff. What's a good value etc for a new player? Maybe one of these seasonal catch up bundles?

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Everywhere I saw just said until the 5th, which is why I was waiting a few days (PC)

Should have known really

quote:

memberships are on sale on Steam until April 25 and on Xbox and PlayStation until May 9

https://fallout.bethesda.net/en/article/1OWOoa4vD02lV8zh7p2fvE/fallout-76-test-drive-fallout-1st

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Ah well Bob's your uncle and also his skin is falling off.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Kaddish posted:

So I got 1st because why not. What should I spend my 1700 fun bux on? There's a lot of stuff. What's a good value etc for a new player? Maybe one of these seasonal catch up bundles?

It depends what you want? I'm a cheapass so I tend to only look for things on sale. For the most part, the selection stays the same for an entire week BUT there are a few items that appear or go on sale daily. The best way I've found to find them is to go to the 'featured' tab and scroll over to the SPECIAL ad. The SPECIAL will show all the crap you can get for free as well as a few other things, and usually the right side will show you whatever the 'daily' special is.

Every day there is a free consumable to pick up so go ahead and pick that up. I would suggest never buying consumables (lunch boxes, repair kits, scrap boxes, etc) because some of them are useless (lol scrap kit), some of them you can get better versions in game (repair kit, you get improved repair kits from scorchbeast queen), and also you get them for free throughout the week if you log in daily and grab them. Fallout 1st members get 'free' stuff now and then too.

Personally I like cool camp prefabs (buildings) and camp stuff that 'does' stuff like gives resources, changes the weather, walks around and acts funny (like the communist collectron bot). Some people are more into skins and outfits. I like the emotes too (the juggling one actually has your character in-game juggling hand grenades).

I suppose if you really want something gamey that may help your character out the auto axe recipe is good if you want a melee build and the cold shoulder is a great shotgun. You can earn both of those in the game through doing expeditions though. The bundle includes the coffee machine which is a pretty handy camp item.

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

davecrazy posted:

So if you set your display scaling to 100% in the system control panel it will give you native resolutions.

I started a new game and it crashes after about 2-3 mins of walking around. Fresh game, no mods.

lol

Even with weapon debris off?

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007
A little bummed the next gen update didnt go to PS Plus also...I've had to dig my disc copy out to give it a go, but I can get all my old saves to that way I guess.

I thought it was looking pretty good on ps5 without the update? Was it already in 4k cos of the pro enhancements?

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
What the gently caress is with the enemy levels in FO76... They don't seem to mean anything or are completely counterintuitive.

Why do I get my rear end handed to me by one thing that is within 2 levels of me, yet I completely annihilate something else that's 20 levels above me?

It just leaves me confused and never knowing whether engaging something will result in victory or defeat.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Pepe Arnold posted:

How is the update on 4? I just started my first playthrough the other night on Xbox Series X. Is it a huge graphical improvement? I

Yes, it feels and looks amazing. The increased FPS is very noticeable.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Mr Scumbag posted:

What the gently caress is with the enemy levels in FO76... They don't seem to mean anything or are completely counterintuitive.

Why do I get my rear end handed to me by one thing that is within 2 levels of me, yet I completely annihilate something else that's 20 levels above me?

It just leaves me confused and never knowing whether engaging something will result in victory or defeat.

there are legendary enemies that you essentially have to kill twice, along with various other buffs they can have, but that doesn't sound like what you're saying, what's giving you a hard time specifically? the little chinese bots?

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
I set my steam settings for Fallout 4 to only update when the game is launched. Only launching through vortex, so the update should never get triggered. Here's hoping my 150 hour save survives. I haven't even visited the institute yet.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Simiain posted:

I installed FO4 when I got my X because, hell, its on Gamepass and it had been a few years since I had played it on the PC, but I remember getting lost in some sprawling factory a couple of hours in and getting so bored I uninstalled.

But I enjoy Bethesda games, damnit, even Starfield, so I'm inclined to give it another go. People talk about Bioware magic suddenly pulling a game together at the last minute, and I think Bethesda has their own variant of that, one where each of their games manages to put me into a fugue state where I'm not enjoying the game, and understand that I'm not enjoying it, but will nevertheless spend hours bunnyhopping around environments cashing in quests

if it helps at all the corvega factory sucks dick no matter how many times you do it if you are good at getting lost

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Starting FO4 in earnest myself, and a think the quest to clear out the factory is a noob trap? I went in there at like level 5 and was not prepared to face 20+ raiders in and around it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

SettingSun posted:

Starting FO4 in earnest myself, and a think the quest to clear out the factory is a noob trap? I went in there at like level 5 and was not prepared to face 20+ raiders in and around it.

Fallout 4's "go anywhere" approach can be a hindrance especially in the early game. They really expect you to beeline to Diamond City but then they also immediately offer you the Minutemen questline if you stick with Preston for a few minutes. There's also a good half dozen early area quests and scenarios they want you to hit along the way like Abernathy Farms or Trudy's diner quests that you can end up missing if you wander off. They're still there when you come back twenty hours later but they're clearly written as quests for level 10 and under. But then some quests will throw you into a fight with a sentry bot or a raider with a minigun when you have two stimpacks and basic leather armor and then say good luck.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
FWIW mods on the Playstation still seem to work, as far as I can tell, and acknowledging that the mod framework on consoles is very limited

in particular, I downloaded one that skips the pre-war prologue and starts the game just as you leave the cryo chamber. So you still have to go through Vault 111, but it cuts out some of the stuff we've seen before

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Having trouble with fo4 settlement building on ps5. Can’t get walls to make corners any more, it always snaps the sections into a line.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

More building troubleshooting: I can't place this door for the reason stated in the screenshot. The door on the lower left works perfectly. I can make an internal staircase and just cut the top door, but I wanna keep the lower floor separate from the main floors because the lower floor is bathed in radiation. Help?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

RandolphCarter posted:

Having trouble with fo4 settlement building on ps5. Can’t get walls to make corners any more, it always snaps the sections into a line.
There's a button that rotates them 90° but I can never remember what it is.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Black Griffon posted:

More building troubleshooting: I can't place this door for the reason stated in the screenshot. The door on the lower left works perfectly. I can make an internal staircase and just cut the top door, but I wanna keep the lower floor separate from the main floors because the lower floor is bathed in radiation. Help?

Do any doors snap in there? You can always change a different door back into the Vault door

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

No doors at all, in none of the doorways I have available. And it snaps, to be clear, but "needs support".

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

I think my NES is broken....
I'm trying so hard to get into FO76. It's fun, I like the quests, but the inventory management is so loving painful. Anybody have any tips? Also I logged in and it couldn't place my camp so it gave me a free camp placement. I assumed I'd be able to just plop down my entire camp I had built. NOPE, had to rebuild it. That was annoying.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Speaking of CAMP rebuilding, if I build stuff in that big gently caress off shelter, and them move camp, would everything still be there?

Also I'm playing the free gamepass version but there's an Atlantic City SKU for money. Is that just a bundle? Is it actual DLC I would need to buy if I want to do Atlantic City stuff?

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Black Griffon posted:

No doors at all, in none of the doorways I have available. And it snaps, to be clear, but "needs support".

Definitely a weird one! Nothing obviously wrong with your door or wall. Sorry!

.Ataraxia. posted:

I'm trying so hard to get into FO76. It's fun, I like the quests, but the inventory management is so loving painful. Anybody have any tips? Also I logged in and it couldn't place my camp so it gave me a free camp placement. I assumed I'd be able to just plop down my entire camp I had built. NOPE, had to rebuild it. That was annoying.

The easiest choice is also the hardest - stop picking stuff up. If you don't have 1st, don't carry around junk or guns for scrapping, just leave it all on the ground. Use all the perk cards for weight savings you can - Travelling Pharmacy for chems, Thru-Hiker for food/water (or a Chemist's / Grocer's backpack mod) and ammo ones. If you use Power Armor, consider Batteries Included so your fusion cores don't break your back. I tend to only keep Weapons/Armor/Apparel in my stash and carry everything else.

The camp chooser is in your map, top left - you'll start with 2 camp slots, and can swap back and forth pretty much at will. When you spawn in and someone elses camp is already there, it won't automatically switch yours - it'll just pop up the message like you saw. All that is doing is saving you the 40 caps to pick up your camp and drop a new one. It's much easier to 1) just swap to your other camp slot instead, or 2) hop on another server

Kaddish posted:

Speaking of CAMP rebuilding, if I build stuff in that big gently caress off shelter, and them move camp, would everything still be there?

Also I'm playing the free gamepass version but there's an Atlantic City SKU for money. Is that just a bundle? Is it actual DLC I would need to buy if I want to do Atlantic City stuff?

Shelters are awesome for just starting out since everything inside them stays, even if you move camps / put it in a different camp. I put all my workbenches in my shelter when I was leveling up and would just move my Camp and place my shelter down. Very quick, very fast!

You don't need to buy anything else to access AC - it's all just cosmetic stuff. Just start a group, and as group leader, choose Expeditions from your map screen (top center icon)

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Jumped back into 76 as well. Since the hype of the show took hold I've been wanting to simultaneously play New Vegas (for the story/role playing and because it rocks) and one of the newer games for a more aimless "roam anywhere and do some poo poo" experience. I think I favour 76 over 4 for the latter.

My weirdest take about 76 is that I can never work out if it's a good looking game or not. Sometimes it has this really vibrant, almost painted look to it that I really dig, and other times it looks like absolute loving poo poo. Like something has just vomited allover the geometry. And it can switch from one to the other on a dime depending on the lighting or even just which angle you're looking at stuff from.

I always just find 76 such a strange product but hey, it turns out it's the second Fallout game I'm most inclined to actually play after NV.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

.Ataraxia. posted:

get a backpack. get the perks that reduce food, ammo and chem weight. when you're able, get the backpack mods that reduce food or chem weight (get both eventually) so you can free up those perks. get Good with Salt so you don't have to gently caress around with having enough of whatever consumables you're using.

Otacon posted:

The easiest choice is also the hardest - stop picking stuff up.

another really big item, yeah and just scrap everything, and throw away the scrap you're not immediately using. pack your keeper scrap into the bundle recipes. learn the ways to farm up a lot of whatever scrap you might want with low effort and just don't keep it.

e: a big non-obvious one, if you are trying to collect power armor pieces, put them on a frame and store/carry the frame, they all will weigh 10 pounds in a set vs the much heavier weight for individual pieces

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Apr 26, 2024

Ouroboros
Apr 23, 2011
After watching the show I decided to give some of the fallout games I never got around to a try. First tried Fallout 4 but after about 2 hours or so I had just lost any will to continue. Maybe I’ll try it again another time but something about it just puts me off. It doesn’t help that I get the impression the big focus is on settlement building and crafting and I just have absolutely no interest in those things whatsoever.

So then I decided to play Fallout 1 and 2. 1 surprised me a little, I think maybe New Vegas conditioned me to expect a similar quality of writing which really isn’t there. A lot of characters and dialogue feel really functional, like they only exist to convey information to the player as quickly and efficiently as possible. The UI is obviously a bit of an initial barrier but not an insurmountable one, my real problem with both this and fallout 2 is that the combat just doesn’t feel great which makes playing the game a bit of a slog at times. I don’t have a problem with turn based tactical combat but it just doesn’t feel deep enough to justify its slow pace which leaves it feeling a bit unsatisfying; as influential as these games are I think there’s a reason not many people have tried to recreate their combat system.

I’m maybe halfway through fallout 2 now and enjoying it much more, it’s really benefited from having a lot more content to round it out. Fallout 1 felt a little skeletal a lot of the time, whereas 2 has a lot more meat on the bone to make it feel like a more well realised game world, with characters that feel more like real people with their own personalities and motivations. That said my biggest gripe is how awful the early game experience is. The tutorial is of course pretty bad, but worse than that is the really brutal early game difficulty. I felt like I basically had to extensively save scum to avoid almost every random encounter until I was like 10 hours into the game or so because they felt so punishing, and I spent waaaay too long being forced to use melee weapons I was not specced for because I couldn’t find any ranged weapons. Once I finally got over that hump I started to really enjoy it but man it’s one of the most new player unfriendly experiences I think I’ve ever had in a game.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I reinstalled 76 after trying it once before and noping out before making it down the stairs leading out of the vault. It always ran like poo poo whenever I booted it up even with low settings, and I assumed the game was just a poorly optimized game that ran like poo poo. Turns out the built in v-sync was clashing with my Nvidia settings and was artificially halving my framerate which added a nauseating jutter whenever I turned or moved. I disabled the vsync through the ini file and the game now runs amazingly at 144hz and it kind of changes my whole perception of the game. I might keep playing more of it but I'm not sure how to feel about Fallout + GTA Online which is the kind of vibes I get from it sometimes.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

FO2's tutorial area put me off of the game for over a decade lol

e: Thinking about it, my god it was probably closer to 20 years...

SettingSun fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Apr 26, 2024

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

SettingSun posted:

FO2's tutorial area put me off of the game for over a decade lol

e: Thinking about it, my god it was probably closer to 20 years...

You don't have to fight the ants, you can just run around them.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

.Ataraxia. posted:

One tip is the same for all Beth games, but it's to periodically sort through the tabs of your inventory and look for 'hidden' crap that takes up a lot of weight. In 76 for example I think the plans weigh like .25 a piece, so you may not notice under your 'notes' tab that you are carrying around 50 lbs worth of worthless plans you already know that you accumulated automatically through quest and/or event rewards which get auto-deposited into your inventory.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Frog Act posted:

Yeah I did exactly that, I just loving hate the endless cycle of looting garbage for dead eyed NPCs

Anyway I’m like 30 hours into a replay of F2 for the first time in decades. I’ve done NCR, NR, Vault 15. I’m wondering:
am I locked out of becoming captain of the guard for VC because I went to NR early? Lynette won’t look at Bishop’s holodisk

What’s the best order for New Reno? I’m at the Kill Bishop for Westin stage of that one, the assassinate Salvatore for Mordinos, supervise the Enclave deal for Salvatore, and Sierra for the Wrights. I want the Wrights to win, so I’m figuring the best order would be to kill Westin, Kill Salvatore, and then just wipe out the Mordinos manually before going to SAB.

I’m also not sure what to do with Myron. He doesn’t have any options to help me with the Jet stuff because my doctor etc are too low, I think. Assuming I can’t get him to help Troy with the antidote is there a consequence to just killing the greasy bastard?

Circling back to this one in case anyone has any hand old F2 tips they can dust off

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

davecrazy posted:

You don't have to fight the ants, you can just run around them.

Wise words, but 18 years too late. Wasn't so bad when I tried again as an adult.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

.Ataraxia. posted:

PSA for you and anyone else: your camp is saved as a blueprint when you move it, and more importantly, all objects included in said blueprint is stored in the blueprint itself and counts towards your storage limit. If you don't dismantle the blueprint before rebuilding, you'll end up paying for objects already in storage. No, it's not intuitive.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Black Griffon posted:

Fallout General & 76: No, it's not intuitive.

mods, please, tia

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Bumhead posted:

Jumped back into 76 as well. Since the hype of the show took hold I've been wanting to simultaneously play New Vegas (for the story/role playing and because it rocks) and one of the newer games for a more aimless "roam anywhere and do some poo poo" experience. I think I favour 76 over 4 for the latter.

My weirdest take about 76 is that I can never work out if it's a good looking game or not. Sometimes it has this really vibrant, almost painted look to it that I really dig, and other times it looks like absolute loving poo poo. Like something has just vomited allover the geometry. And it can switch from one to the other on a dime depending on the lighting or even just which angle you're looking at stuff from.

I always just find 76 such a strange product but hey, it turns out it's the second Fallout game I'm most inclined to actually play after NV.

I think it’s a very ugly game that looks good at a glance because it’s usually pretty colorful.

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Stranger in a Strange Land
gently caress it's annoying that so many 76 camp objects are A: only in the atom shop, B: are only available intermittently and C: give no indication when they were last available or when they'll be available again. I still have 1200+ atoms I saved up from the last time I was playing because I was waiting for some fancy wall mounted weapon racks to come back in the shop, and I don't know if they ever came back or not, but I know they're not there now!

Anyway, that's my gripe of the day. Otherwise, I'm actually having a lot of fun. I feel like a lot of stuff has been tweaked since I last played in season...10? It's weird, but putting aside the atomic shop bullshit it feels like 76 is slowly - VERY slowly - turning into a good Fallout game. I hope the influx of new people inspires Bethesda/Microsoft to throw some resources at this game for a while, it feels like it's finally getting on the right track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Morality_Police posted:

gently caress it's annoying that so many 76 camp objects are A: only in the atom shop, B: are only available intermittently and C: give no indication when they were last available or when they'll be available again. I still have 1200+ atoms I saved up from the last time I was playing because I was waiting for some fancy wall mounted weapon racks to come back in the shop, and I don't know if they ever came back or not, but I know they're not there now!

Anyway, that's my gripe of the day. Otherwise, I'm actually having a lot of fun. I feel like a lot of stuff has been tweaked since I last played in season...10? It's weird, but putting aside the atomic shop bullshit it feels like 76 is slowly - VERY slowly - turning into a good Fallout game. I hope the influx of new people inspires Bethesda/Microsoft to throw some resources at this game for a while, it feels like it's finally getting on the right track.

Just so more people are aware, you can request specific atom shop items from Bethesda Support, and (last time I went through it) it only took about 2-3 hours before I got my stuff.

The only issues: 1) You need to know specifically what item you want in exactly which bundle, and 2) if it isn't in the list, you can't get it (yet) until support updates their list and 3) its full price.

More info (including a list of items/bundles) found here: https://www.reddit.com/r/fo76/comments/17wpj3l/atomic_shop_items_you_can_request_through/