Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009
Having a rotating FOMO shop that you are encouraged to manually subvert via support tickets is insane, but it's better than not having access to stuff I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I've just resigned myself to the fact that I'm getting what I'm getting. I grow my own food, got my water purifier, not interested in buying the "best" weapon off of the atom shop. Only thing I feel like looking out for is the core recharger, but besides that I go where the winds take me.

Otacon posted:

mods, please, tia

emptyquote

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
How the heck to I get ammo? I'm constantly low on .38 and I see no way to produce it. I can buy it at crazy vendor prices. I read you can buy them from player vendors but I visited 4-5 player camps and not one had a vendor.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Kaddish posted:

How the heck to I get ammo? I'm constantly low on .38 and I see no way to produce it. I can buy it at crazy vendor prices. I read you can buy them from player vendors but I visited 4-5 player camps and not one had a vendor.

1) Killing mobs. Super mutants, scorched, and most humanoid looking enemies will drop 'contextual' ammo, so if you kill it with a .38 weapon, you should receive .38 ammo as drops. 'Daily Ops' are extremely good for generating ammo, but can be a slog solo at low levels.

2) The green Tinker's workbench (you might need to find a plan, it shouldn't cost you a cap) allows for crafting ammo, grenades, and a few other things. You'll need lead (scavenged from junk, or you can mine it) + gunpowder (scavenged or created on Chemistry Workbench) and steel. There's an Agility perk card to produce more rounds, as well as a Legendary Perk Card as well.

3) If you're on PC, hop on our discord and ask - we will make sure you drown in .38 rounds.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Also do Daily Ops as you are rewarded with a decent amount of ammo.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Ok, so I need to find this plan for the tinkerers bench I guess.

When do I start finding legendary cores? I've done a few events that list them as drops but nothing yet. I'm only level 23. I bought that Cold Shoulder bundle and now it just sits there, mocking me.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Otacon posted:

Definitely a weird one! Nothing obviously wrong with your door or wall. Sorry!

Yeah never figured it out, so first floor it is. All guests receive a goodie bag of 50-80 rads straight to the marrow.

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Stranger in a Strange Land

Otacon posted:

Just so more people are aware, you can request specific atom shop items from Bethesda Support, and (last time I went through it) it only took about 2-3 hours before I got my stuff.

The only issues: 1) You need to know specifically what item you want in exactly which bundle, and 2) if it isn't in the list, you can't get it (yet) until support updates their list and 3) its full price.

More info (including a list of items/bundles) found here: https://www.reddit.com/r/fo76/comments/17wpj3l/atomic_shop_items_you_can_request_through/

I can WHAT. :magical:

Russian Remoulade posted:

Having a rotating FOMO shop that you are encouraged to manually subvert via support tickets is insane, but it's better than not having access to stuff I guess.

Jesus, this sums up so much of this game. The implementation is insane, but the functionality is there, I guess.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Otacon posted:

2) The green Tinker's workbench (you might need to find a plan, it shouldn't cost you a cap) allows for crafting ammo, grenades, and a few other things. You'll need lead (scavenged from junk, or you can mine it) + gunpowder (scavenged or created on Chemistry Workbench) and steel. There's an Agility perk card to produce more rounds, as well as a Legendary Perk Card as well.

Luck/Super Duper also

Akalies
May 31, 2000

Russian Remoulade posted:

Originally it was ATOM shop only. Then their CS started letting you request anything via ticket, but since they didn't have a list they were drowning in requests for "that power armor skin I saw one time", obviously this didn't work very well.

So they then went to the list system they have now. Which is never updated, vague, and often uses different naming schemes from in-game so it's hard to tell which item you're getting. It also doesn't work very well.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I believe the cookie jar (makes cookies) and cement truck (makes cement scrap) are both temporarily available on the atom store now.

Neither are a big deal, but I like to grab resource generating camp items.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
Since I forgot to disable updates and my modded Fallout 4 install is hosed, I decided to give Begin Again a whirl. They really nailed the exploration in Fallout 3: the soundscape feels nicely oppressive and playing on hardcore mode makes exploring even more tense.

I did not, however, remember how bad the writing can get in this game. Hoo boy.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Kaddish posted:

Ok, so I need to find this plan for the tinkerers bench I guess.

When do I start finding legendary cores? I've done a few events that list them as drops but nothing yet. I'm only level 23. I bought that Cold Shoulder bundle and now it just sits there, mocking me.

Legendary Cores come from events, most events give like 2-5 with some giving 8.

Legendary Modules are purchased at The Rusty Pick. You'll need some scrip saved up - get this by feeding bad Legendary items into the Legendary Scrip Machines at all train-stations, or Whitesprings mall, or The Rusty Pick

Otacon fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Apr 26, 2024

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Otacon posted:

Legendary Cores come from events, most events give like 2-5 with some giving 8.

Legendary Modules are purchased at The Rusty Pick. You'll need some scrip saved up - get this by feeding bad Legendary items into the Legendary Scrip Machines are all trainstations, or Whitesprings mall, or The Rusty Pick

Ok yeah, modules are what I need. Sounds like the only way to get them is by.....playing the game I guess!

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Stranger in a Strange Land

Kaddish posted:

Ok yeah, modules are what I need. Sounds like the only way to get them is by.....playing the game I guess!

A great event to participate in for grinding out legendary scrip is Eviction Notice. It's a wave event fighting super mutants that spawns a lot of legendary enemies. It's level 50, so if you're well under that just hang back and tag enemies rather than trying to get fully stuck in. Then you can just nip out between waves of mutants to loot the legendary ones. You'll get a ton of crap legendary items to melt down, although you will absolutely end up over the weight limit if the event gets completed.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Also, even if you aren't really interested in the main story it is very worth it to go through it if you enjoy the game. There is a sort-of end game currency that you get from events that you won't get until you've completed the appropriate story parts. That end game currency is what you use to get a lot of great CAMP items as well as plans for some good armor and weapons.

Some side stories are really important as well. Very minor spoiler: Have you ever wanted to launch your own nukes?

Kaddish posted:

If you can join any 'Eviction Notice' event you see and you can get enough legendary garbage to feed the scrip shredder for a couple of days straight.

efb ---^

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Otacon posted:

Just so more people are aware, you can request specific atom shop items from Bethesda Support, and (last time I went through it) it only took about 2-3 hours before I got my stuff.

The only issues: 1) You need to know specifically what item you want in exactly which bundle, and 2) if it isn't in the list, you can't get it (yet) until support updates their list and 3) its full price.

More info (including a list of items/bundles) found here: https://www.reddit.com/r/fo76/comments/17wpj3l/atomic_shop_items_you_can_request_through/

Well poo poo, my Little Junktown won't be complete without a few of those. :shepspends:

Why haven't they made rusted car walls? :sigh:

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Bumhead posted:

My weirdest take about 76 is that I can never work out if it's a good looking game or not. Sometimes it has this really vibrant, almost painted look to it that I really dig, and other times it looks like absolute loving poo poo. Like something has just vomited allover the geometry. And it can switch from one to the other on a dime depending on the lighting or even just which angle you're looking at stuff from.

I always just find 76 such a strange product but hey, it turns out it's the second Fallout game I'm most inclined to actually play after NV.

I'm finding that it's the lighting too. The forested Appalachia region is gorgeous but outside of that there are a lot of parts that have are low saturation and have really bad textures meshing together. It would be something that could be easily modded, but alas.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Yeah that big railway bridge near the first town you get to looks great from the valley etc. I'm now somewhat north by the waterpark etc. and sure it's meant to be dusty and brown but it is real poo poo looking dusty and brown

Guess makes some of the exploration worth it for the occasional 'drat, here they got it right huh' moments?

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Does reshade work for this game?

Edit - yes it does.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Kaddish posted:

Does reshade work for this game?

Edit - yes it does.

I've been running one from a texture mod called Winter in Appalachia. I'm no longer running the mod files (which were wonderful, by the way - great mod! It's just not winter anymore) but the 'darker nights' Reshade recommended here is superb and I've been running it ever since:

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout76/mods/1272

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Both my C.A.M.P.'s consist of just little hobo shack with a bunch of water purifiers, farms and workstations scattered everywhere. Once in a while a player will run by, wave "hello", and run off into the distance. All problems aside, I am really enjoying the game as a casual player. As long as pacifist mode is turned on I'm having a good time. Honestly I don't really want to leave the forested area; it's chill.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS6817ptYpk

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Oh my God.
I just learned that once you place your CAMP down, you can freely move the module to wherever you like and the border stays the same.

I've been building around it this whole time!!!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
So the only way to get one of these dozens of things listed in this reddit post is to pay real money?

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Cojawfee posted:

So the only way to get one of these dozens of things listed in this reddit post is to pay real money?

Nah, you'll gradually collect enough atoms to pay for those items you want, the game has a bunch of challenges that will net you them, as well as plenty available as season rewards. Just make sure you've got the atoms in your account when you try to redeem via Bethesdalist.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Will people pay more than base price if I start selling drugs and booze out of my base? I wanna be a net negative influence on the world.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Black Griffon posted:

Will people pay more than base price if I start selling drugs and booze out of my base? I wanna be a net negative influence on the world.

I had some success with nukashine and the special boozes you get from the Biv daily. Ballistic bock and tick blood tequila sold rather well. The only drugs I could sell for more than base were overdrive, calmex and psychobuff.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

What’s the deal with the Fallout 1st stuff? Do you lose any of those items if you drop your subscription?

Kinda want both of the included costumes (The Ghoul and the Ranger) but is it one of those things where you lose access to them if your sub lapses?

I lost about 5 hours to 76 yesterday just chilling and listening to music, which makes me think this really might have clicked as that perfect “podcast game” I’ve been searching for for a while. If that holds up then I don’t mind subbing to 1st.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Bumhead posted:

Kinda want both of the included costumes (The Ghoul and the Ranger) but is it one of those things where you lose access to them if your sub lapses?

You keep the items after the sub lapses and you can always craft them again with or without a sub, as long as you unlock them in the atom store while you have FO1st.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

I saw some people trying Wasteland 2 in the thread earlier - just a note, if you bounce off Wasteland 2 DC but can't quite put your finger on why, try playing the original release instead. (It's a separate install.)

Even though Wasteland 2 was the kind of game I should have loved, I always ended up burning out by the time I got to the canyon of titan even though I enjoyed the gameplay. It turns out it was the art direction. The DC cut redid the graphical system, but in terms of aesthetic it is super inferior to the original release:

• The DC cut makes everything incredibly bright and washes out the colors. If you go to the Ag Centre in the original, it's dark and green and feels overgrown compared to the rest of the wasteland. In the DC, it's washed out and still feels sandy despite the giant plants everywhere. The computer in the entrance is glowing with a bunch of different colors, while the DC version is just pale blue. The bookshelves have clearly identifiable books that contrast with the brown, but in the DC everything connected to the bookshelf is brown, so it doesn't even look like a full bookshelf.
  • The character models in the original release are much less detailed, but the aesthetic feels more unified. A lot of the clothes look really good on the original models but absurd on the update ones. In the DC, clothing clips even during character creation - if you watch your guys moving in the game, there is maybe one pair of pants that doesn't come off when a character is moving.
  • This one is a matter of taste, but they removed ceiling greeblies in the DC.

Now, there is a trade off. The DC is rebalanced and has a lot of good QoL and mechanical improvements, like perks, aimed shots that debuff enemies, automatically using your highest skilled party member for skills, a bunch of the weird ambushes removed, etc. But if the color palette is why you bounced off, definitely give the original a shot - it's aesthetically different enough that it might be for you!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Fallout 4: it should be possible to progress some of the way into the game without contacting Preston Garvey, right?

I'm trying out Survival, and I did not want to take my chances on the sequence with the Deathclaw until I had some levels under my belt. I found that I was able to access Sanctuary's workshop and build items, which should mean that as long as I can scrounge the parts, I can put up a settler beacon, start attracting people, and build-up Sanctuary without ever having lead Garvey back to it?

and then Red Rocket can similarly be unlocked and developed all by myself?

I'm not going to avoid Concord forever, just until I'm a bit more confident in my ability to survive.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

FO76, I had no idea you could do some of these tricks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3pc1f3oYk

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

you can complete the game without ever speaking to preston & company, you can just leave them inside the museum forever :byewhore:

it locks you out of the cleaned-up version of the Castle and artillery (and the loot in the armory too) but that's all I can think of.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

gradenko_2000 posted:

Fallout 4: it should be possible to progress some of the way into the game without contacting Preston Garvey, right?

I'm trying out Survival, and I did not want to take my chances on the sequence with the Deathclaw until I had some levels under my belt. I found that I was able to access Sanctuary's workshop and build items, which should mean that as long as I can scrounge the parts, I can put up a settler beacon, start attracting people, and build-up Sanctuary without ever having lead Garvey back to it?

and then Red Rocket can similarly be unlocked and developed all by myself?

I'm not going to avoid Concord forever, just until I'm a bit more confident in my ability to survive.

you can play the entire game without contacting the minutemen or the brotherhood.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Flesh Forge posted:

you can complete the game without ever speaking to preston & company, you can just leave them inside the museum forever :byewhore:

it locks you out of the cleaned-up version of the Castle and artillery (and the loot in the armory too) but that's all I can think of.

Tankbuster posted:

you can play the entire game without contacting the minutemen or the brotherhood.

oh poo poo lmao that's impressively open-ended. thank you

___

here's another question: from a benefit-to-the-player standpoint, what is the utility of a built-up settlement?

- a safe place to sleep
- a source of fresh water
- once you get settlers in and they can do some farming, a source of edible food
- storage space
- crafting stations

those seem to be the low-hanging fruit

as I understand it, later on you'll be able to send out settlers to gather scrap for you, and you can set up shops for armor and weapons, but I think that's only something you can do much later, because it requires significant materials and some higher-level perks, yes?

anything else?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
depending on how you build your character and get the local leader perk, you can eventually daisy chain settlements and access resources of the entire settlement network in the place closest to you. One of the big upgrades is going from scrounging for adhesive to producing all the resources to make vegetable starch. But yeah, apart from the feeling of satisfaction you aren't getting much out of the settlement system mechanically without mods.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Tankbuster posted:

well for a certain definition of "contacting"
e: in vanilla about the most valuable thing you can do with your settlements (aside from bonkers complicated factory stuff) is place a lot of useful shops e.g. general stores and shops that sell ammo and highly modded weapons you can scrap for the rare scrap types, just go from settlement to settlement cleaning out the stuff you want and collecting a billion caps
e: this only requires 6 cha / Local Leader rank 2
e: you want the trader perk that lets you invest money in traders and increase their caps pool

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Apr 27, 2024

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
it means you have to work with the railroad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Bumhead posted:

What’s the deal with the Fallout 1st stuff? Do you lose any of those items if you drop your subscription?

I lost about 5 hours to 76 yesterday just chilling and listening to music, which makes me think this really might have clicked as that perfect “podcast game” I’ve been searching for for a while. If that holds up then I don’t mind subbing to 1st.

You keep access to everything you got with Fallout 1st. You basically just can't place a survival tent, start a private server, or add to your ammo/scrap stashes. You can still take things OUT of your ammo/scrap stashes without 1st though which is important. One thing some people do is get a month of fallout 1st, load those suckers up, and then just coast with tons of scrap/ammo for the next however many months.

Inzombiac posted:

FO76, I had no idea you could do some of these tricks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3pc1f3oYk

I really like seeing what other people have done in their camps. Some of the ones that have impressed me the most have blended almost seamlessly into the environment and look like a really cool thing that the developers added. My camp is nowhere near as nice as those ones but I still love adding random crap to it. I just got the cement mixer and I put it partly submerged in a river next to my camp. It seemed kind of cool (abandoned cement truck crashed into the river) but I didn't realize the thing actually operates so it looks a little odd.