Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

Wouldn't it be better to just use the regular texture pack and then replace with modded textures if you wanted to?

probably

the HD texture pack doesn't look bad though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

hawowanlawow posted:

probably

the HD texture pack doesn't look bad though

I've used it in the past and while things do look sharper it doesn't really change the vanilla visuals from looking oddly smudged and flat. Once I've got my gameplay mods set up I'm going ham on the texture replacers.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Arc Hammer posted:

Wouldn't it be better to just use the regular texture pack and then replace with modded textures if you wanted to?

thats what the recommended best practice is now. Never dl the official HD pack.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Imagine the update comes out next week and it includes an FOV slider.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

It did say support for ultra wide but a fov slider seems too reasonable to expect

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

I mean, it's an .ini edit

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
too much effort for a slider.

Modulo16
Feb 12, 2014

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."

I just started FO76, and I like it. The only real gripe I have is that inventory management. I seem to become over encumbered quickly and then I’m left making choices or walk back to a stash to store my materials.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If I wanted to try out Idiot Savant would it work best if I got my INT up to 4 so I can at least grab hacking perks and then crank the rest into Luck?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ran across a single invulnerable raider going from the Vault to Flatwoods. He was just kind of hanging out in the broken cars on the road.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Arc Hammer posted:

If I wanted to try out Idiot Savant would it work best if I got my INT up to 4 so I can at least grab hacking perks and then crank the rest into Luck?

I think somebody somewhere online mathed it out that Idiot Savant equates to flat bonus exp and only has the kind of diminishing returns as to be considered useless between 15 and 20 INT, which are numbers you're not going to see in a normal game, or something like that! so, yes, definitely.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

Modulo16 posted:

I just started FO76, and I like it. The only real gripe I have is that inventory management. I seem to become over encumbered quickly and then I’m left making choices or walk back to a stash to store my materials.

this has been my experience as well, but i have this problem is the other fallout games as well so seems like more of a me problem

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

wizard2 posted:

I think somebody somewhere online mathed it out that Idiot Savant equates to flat bonus exp and only has the kind of diminishing returns as to be considered useless between 15 and 20 INT, which are numbers you're not going to see in a normal game, or something like that! so, yes, definitely.

So if I wanted to I could still get a high INT level since it maxes out at 10 (before Chem and outfit buffs) and synergize the Savant perk with the extra EXP from intelligence?

Well no one said this game was balanced.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
The numbers for savant are on the fallout wiki: https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/Idiot_Savant

wizard2’s conclusion is incorrect (Int 15 is when it becomes as good as Int 2) but idiot savant is a net xp gain in all cases, just possibly a very small one.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is a permanent INT 15 even attainable or would you need Mentats to hit it? 10 INT plus the bobblehead puts you at 11, then clothing bonuses from a Vault Tec Lab Coat makes 13. Are there any +2 INT Headwear options?

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Modulo16 posted:

if you don't have 1st dump ammo and junk you don't use constantly it will free up the most space and is only somewhat frustrating considering basic and improved repair kits are pretty easy to come by.

other than that the options are removing mods from guns you aren't currently using to free a little space; store power armor pieces on frames in your stash (this frees up a lot of space if you're holding onto stuff to scrip; getting a chemist backpack and keeping most of your meds on you. getting rid of excess plans, pre-war food or drinks, all those floater grenades is also somewhere to look.

edit: lol free trial of 1st this week so build a scrap box and an ammo box and stuff them as full as you can until it ends. you can get things out of it even after the trial ends

the paradigm shift fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 16, 2024

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Fallout 4 guy is a war criminal uproar was funny. I genuinely didn't realize people cared about Fallout continuity. Each playable character is a blank slate and each game's got a dozen endings, so each sequel's gotta play coy about previous events. So why would anyone give a poo poo?

Anyway, I've been wanting to play Fallout 1. Is there a way to make the mouse not feel so rear end to use on modern systems?

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Stranger in a Strange Land
Fallout TV show has done what I thought was impossible, and made my partner - who has historically given 0 shits for Fallout - want to play 76. We've been up past bedtime the last couple nights building a new camp together and doing quests, while I buy up every useful schematic we find along the way to hand over to her. I don't think it will last longterm - we're both too busy to get into a new MMO-type game in a serious way - but it's fun as hell right now.

Also, thanks to the goon who tipped me off to Holy Fire, this thing is hilarious. I eat through fuel like crazy and have actually had to go scavenging again for acid and oil - something I haven't needed to do in like 50 levels. But hey, it's all worth it, because blue flamer goes brrtttttt.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Morality_Police posted:

Fallout TV show has done what I thought was impossible, and made my partner - who has historically given 0 shits for Fallout - want to play 76. We've been up past bedtime the last couple nights building a new camp together and doing quests, while I buy up every useful schematic we find along the way to hand over to her. I don't think it will last longterm - we're both too busy to get into a new MMO-type game in a serious way - but it's fun as hell right now.

Also, thanks to the goon who tipped me off to Holy Fire, this thing is hilarious. I eat through fuel like crazy and have actually had to go scavenging again for acid and oil - something I haven't needed to do in like 50 levels. But hey, it's all worth it, because blue flamer goes brrtttttt.

Yeah the baseline Holy Fire is very very good. I do solo expeditions to Atlantic City (Tax Evasion) and end up with tons of extra fuel since everything in there drops at least like 15 fuel except the ones with flamers who drop 150.

You also end up with tons of pre-war money that you can scrap into cloth which I then use to make hats to easily max out the vendor every day. ( trench runner hats require 2 cloth and each hat sells for like 15 caps with hard bargain)

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Morality_Police posted:

To save on flamer fuel, don't hold down the button. The server doesn't usually update mob damage for a second or two, so usually you are already killing the mob in a single click - it's just not showing up. Holding down just eats up extra fuel.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

In FO76, are cross/bows viable long-term?
I much prefer low-tech weapons but after doing one event with them, I'm thinking not.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Not really.

I think the harpoon gun might scratch the same itch and be viable though.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I started playing 76 and it seems alright except everything I kill with a ranged weapon seems to take an extra shot to actually die once I deplete its health bar

Not sure what that’s about

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Barf. I do like the harpoon gun, thankfully.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

My partner wants to play New Vegas and honestly it's about time I play it too. It's been sitting on my wishlist for years as a back-up for some day when I needed a good rpg and didn't have anything new.

Any must have mods for fixing bugs or whatever? What's the Wrye Bash equivalent for the Fallout series? We're just gonna be tooling around, the vanilla experience and graphics are fine.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Fruits of the sea posted:

My partner wants to play New Vegas and honestly it's about time I play it too. It's been sitting on my wishlist for years as a back-up for some day when I needed a good rpg and didn't have anything new.

Any must have mods for fixing bugs or whatever? What's the Wrye Bash equivalent for the Fallout series? We're just gonna be tooling around, the vanilla experience and graphics are fine.

a mod manager, New Vegas anti crash, the mod that lets it use 4gb of ram, and casm (auto save mod) will get you through the game with minimal bugs; crashes; and headaches.

the paradigm shift fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Apr 16, 2024

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

History Comes Inside! posted:

I started playing 76 and it seems alright except everything I kill with a ranged weapon seems to take an extra shot to actually die once I deplete its health bar

Not sure what that’s about

What weapon was it?
Back when I played, there were issues with big alpha weapons' damage being rejected by the server sometimes, or leaving mobs alive with 1hp.
And uh some servers do not cope well with lag, if you see rubber banding hp pool mobs using an automatic, server hop immediately.

And above guy no bows are not really viable outside of solo play, neither are snipers. It's all about automatics, even for melee they are greatly preferred (chainsword style things or the auto-axe)

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Apr 16, 2024

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

sauer kraut posted:

What weapon was it?
Back when I played, there were issues with big alpha weapons' damage being rejected by the server sometimes, or leaving mobs alive with 1hp.

Back when I played, that could happen with any weapon (or at least firearms).

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Yeah but it really stings with slow weapons.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Just a basic automatic rifle, nothing particularly exotic. I’m only level 20 something. I tend not to just hold the trigger down and hose things because lol ammo so it makes it stand out more that I’m getting off bursts which should definitely be killing things but they all need an extra click to actually die.

Edit: also seems like it’s depending on each click of the mouse being a ‘new’ attack maybe?

I’ll fire off a quick burst of 3-4 rounds and even if the first 2 rounds deplete the enemy health bar completely the last 1-2 rounds just do nothing and it still requires a followup tap.

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Apr 16, 2024

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

I got the same itch and there's a separate thread for New Vegas/Modding, but this'll help: https://vivanewvegas.moddinglinked.com/index.html

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Evil Badman posted:

I got the same itch and there's a separate thread for New Vegas/Modding, but this'll help: https://vivanewvegas.moddinglinked.com/index.html

this is the new vegas modding thread lol https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3376713

like most threads of similar age, the op is way out of date and you should read the last 10 pages instead.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

the paradigm shift posted:

a mod manager, New Vegas anti crash, the mod that lets it use 4gb of ram, and casm (auto save mod) will get you through the game with minimal bugs; crashes; and headaches.

Evil Badman posted:

Thanks, I’ll throw some patches together tomorrow. The guide is a little overkill, but I’m a hardened gamebryo sufferer so I know what tweaks to skip for this use case :v:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Thanks, I’ll throw some patches together tomorrow. The guide is a little overkill, but I’m a hardened gamebryo sufferer so I know what tweaks to skip for this use case :v:

The guide likely isn’t overkill. If you’re not already familiar with modding new Vegas, it’s the crashiest version of its generation of gamebryo games (with fallout 3 and oblivion being the others).

By all means skip the overhauls section if you’re not interested (although you really should install jsawyer or a descendant if you’re going to play on survival mode), but Viva New Vegas is far from a total graphics redo or a total conversion or something. In fact, there’s whole pages in there telling you why not to install those kinds of mods, because they’ll likely make New Vegas explode.

Instead the reason VNV is recommended as a starting point is because it’s the community’s best efforts to fix the game’s stability, make it run well (as in no giant fps dips or something), add non-breaking patches for vanilla content, and the various ui/tweaks to fix the game being created in one development sprint back in like 2009 (so for example, menus now have the same navigation keys as a standard instead of the awful assumption everyone always used a controller that was common to AAA games of that generation.)

If you are as experienced with Gamebryo as you say you are, you should already know that each Gamebryo title has different things it can be coaxed to do well, things it needs fixed, and problems you’ll run into while modding. Follow VNV and you’ll have a much better time than assuming all your knowledge from modding Oblivion or Skyrim original edition applies just the same.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Inzombiac posted:

In FO76, are cross/bows viable long-term?
I much prefer low-tech weapons but after doing one event with them, I'm thinking not.

Depends on what you mean by "viable." Depending on legendary effects, plasma bows can be a lot of fun for quests / completing scoreboard objectives / events that don't involve swarms. It's also pretty easy to meet the damage requirement for loot from the queen. You're never, ever going to have ammo problems.

Big Guns / Commando are smoother gameplay experiences - most of the other weapons have significant tradeoffs that some of the systems nerds might be able to explain better. The big one for bows / crossbows is that, while you can one-shot any enemy you can see, bows are a charging weapon and it's incredibly easy to get swarmed in events that involve a lot of enemies. They rely on stealth and VATs so if you are in a situation where you can't sneak or target enemies in VATS (like invisible guys in daily ops) you'll be in a rough spot. Except for Big Guns / Commando, most of the other weapon groups have tradeoffs like this anyways (gunslinger requires a bunch of agility cards that mean you miss out on taking stealth, for instance.) So you should play what you like!

If you really like bows, one option is to use loadouts. I keep a "fun" loadout (named 'Archer' because that's what I was running when I made it, but now it's an energy gunslinger using circuit breaker / gamma pistol / gauss pistol) for just running around and normal events like, say, campfire tales and a serious event loadout (STR+INT flamer build that gives a ton of carry weight and int for XP) for daily ops / swarm events like radiation rumble or protecting the church in mothman equinox.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Arivia posted:

this is the new vegas modding thread lol https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3376713

like most threads of similar age, the op is way out of date and you should read the last 10 pages instead.

Yeah I was summarizing the recent pages and pointing to the guide everyone was recommending instead of linking the thread.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
seal of approval

https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/1780079361431113747

e: meant to post this in the TVIV thread but here ya go anyway

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW
Justice is bald, like an eagle, or Lady Liberty's docket.

The Fallout TV series has been enough to get me to reinstall FO76 after not playing it since November of 2020. I logged in to find myself wildly overencumbered - I think I may have been enjoying some old bug where you could equip and dequip some +carry weight armor fast enough that the server basically gave you unlimited inventory after a while back when I last played.

I've shoved what I can back into my stash, but it's basically 100% full and I'm still pretty overencumbered. I seem to have at least 5-6 different sets of power armor in there - Excavator, X-01, T-60, T-45, T-51, Ultracite, and some kind of Bone Collector set as well, which I imagine is taking up the majority of my stash. I have no idea how to discern what's worth keeping/using and what's junk to throw away at this point. Can anyone offer any guidance or ideas as to how to proceed from here? Once I figure out what isn't worth keeping anymore, what do I do with the extras? Scrap em? Sell em? It feels like I need to solve this hurdle before I can actually, you know, play.

I guess the smart thing might be to just roll a new character but I would be sad to lose whatever progress this guy has.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

I got a week trial of Fallout 1st yesterday. That might help you a wee bit while you sort it out, what with the scrap box and stuff?

I'll leave it here for others too anyway
https://bethesda.net/en/article/1OWOoa4vD02lV8zh7p2fvE/fallout-76-test-drive-fallout-1st

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Harvey Baldman posted:

The Fallout TV series has been enough to get me to reinstall FO76 after not playing it since November of 2020. I logged in to find myself wildly overencumbered - I think I may have been enjoying some old bug where you could equip and dequip some +carry weight armor fast enough that the server basically gave you unlimited inventory after a while back when I last played.

I've shoved what I can back into my stash, but it's basically 100% full and I'm still pretty overencumbered. I seem to have at least 5-6 different sets of power armor in there - Excavator, X-01, T-60, T-45, T-51, Ultracite, and some kind of Bone Collector set as well, which I imagine is taking up the majority of my stash. I have no idea how to discern what's worth keeping/using and what's junk to throw away at this point. Can anyone offer any guidance or ideas as to how to proceed from here? Once I figure out what isn't worth keeping anymore, what do I do with the extras? Scrap em? Sell em? It feels like I need to solve this hurdle before I can actually, you know, play.

I guess the smart thing might be to just roll a new character but I would be sad to lose whatever progress this guy has.

If you have a friend you trust, you can join them in a server, go somewhere private, and drop your stuff. Jump to a (newly created?) alt, join your buddy's server, and your loot bag will still be there (unless someone else picked it up)

Make sure all your PA is on a frame (frames weigh 10lbs regardless of installed PA pieces)

Maybe reconjigger your perks to increase Strength to 15. Then there's some consumables + perks that might help. Rad Ant Lager gives 50lbs of carry weight for a minute or two, or if you don't have it unlocked, equip Party Boy perk + drink Whiskey to give you 6 Strength (30lbs carry weight) plus perks like Travelling Pharmacy (or a Chemists backpack) or Thru-Hiker (or a Grocer's backpack) along with newer weapon-specific or PA-specific perks - see this full list of Weight Related Perks here by clicking Expand:
https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/Carry_Weight_(Fallout_76)#Perk_Cards