Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

My elderly parents liked the Fallout TV show. Especially the vault scenes :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Sounds like a good thing? Unless they now expect you to explain every game in excruciating detail.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Perfect Potato posted:

As anyone with sense and the slightest bit of familiarity with Emil could realize he was being very, extremely, Genuine

Wow so these are the writers over at Bethesda huh. Suddenly everything about their games makes sense.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Arc Hammer posted:

Sounds like a good thing? Unless they now expect you to explain every game in excruciating detail.

I think the issue is that the parents think that the bunkers are actually cool and good

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

YerDa Zabam posted:

I think the issue is that the parents think that the bunkers are actually cool and good

Reminds them of childhood duck and cover exercises.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Arc Hammer posted:

Reminds them of childhood duck and cover exercises.

Thought so lol.
As an older gen-x I recall the boomers and their seemingly positive opinion of nuclear holocaust. "The world could use a good clear out" I'd heard. From a loving teacher. I guess those cheery propaganda, sorry I mean, PSA films worked.
By the time me and my friends came round in the 70s and 80s the vibe was a bit less sunny. Duck and Cover Vs Threads. No comparison really, lmao.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Arc Hammer posted:

mom, dad... I found love in the Cerulean Robotics building...

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Hey I just started Fallout 4 on pc and I have a weird issue I'm trying to work out. When I swap my audio to headphones I seem to lose most of the sound, despite it working just fine on speaker output. Settings are a little thin in the menu so I dunno where to go with that.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
idk where else to put it.

https://twitter.com/shindags/status/1780407784154267666

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Made it to diamond city and was rudely reminded of just how creepy Piper's facial expressions are when they're plastered over an animation skeleton that breaks apart at the slightest provocation. Those teeth, my god.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Arc Hammer posted:

Made it to diamond city and was rudely reminded of just how creepy Piper's facial expressions are when they're plastered over an animation skeleton that breaks apart at the slightest provocation. Those teeth, my god.

Lol, and they're not improved at all in starfield.

Never change, Bethesda

please, loving change. Gamebryo loving sucks

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Not sure how, but it could be.

YerDa Zabam posted:

The idea of a place that will care for them that's comfortingly built like their childhood town probably sounds comforting to them.

The inside of this assisted living facility in Ohio was designed to look like a small town from the 1930s to help Alzheimer's and dementia patients feel more at home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RN-P8_DsrEI

It's very vault-like, including "stores", "restaurants" and a movie theater for residents, whose rooms open into the hallway looking like houses.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Yeah they should just gut modding.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Am I right in thinking Fallout 1st is bullshit unless I'm specifically looking to start a private server?

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

The scrap and ammo boxes are a huge benefit of 1st, probably a bigger selling point than servers. Never having to worry about inventory (at least until you start building a collection of outfits and weaponry) is a game changer.
At least get the trial, place the boxes and fill them as full as possible before the trial ends. You'll still be able to withdraw from all that storage, just not add to them.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Guess the boxes seem useful and I'll try it for a month, but it's a lot per month after that tbh

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
Generally the value judgement is the boxes, some freebies, extra stuff in the score board, and you get as much atoms as buying a bundle so you can grab some of the cosmetics.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Do you get to keep the outfits, furnishings and stuff after you unsubscribe? I tried to buy a Fallout 1st-locked bundle with the current trial, but it wouldn't let me.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

SplitSoul posted:

Do you get to keep the outfits, furnishings and stuff after you unsubscribe? I tried to buy a Fallout 1st-locked bundle with the current trial, but it wouldn't let me.

You lose the survival tent and the ability to deposit stuff into the scrap box/ammo box, but you keep all the cosmetics, emotes and camp items.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Psychedelicatessen posted:

You lose the survival tent and the ability to deposit stuff into the scrap box/ammo box, but you keep all the cosmetics, emotes and camp items.

And you can still build them as well?

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Anything you unlock that was listed in the atom ship stays available even without a subscription, including any deco/outfits given out when you were a subscriber. Which is why they'll often sell the 1st catch-up packs of stuff that was unlocked for 1st subs previously. Even without 1st, the stuff it offers comes around again, minus the conveniences mentioned above.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

The free week thing should be available to all. I did a month sub previously and was still able to get it surprising. Seems that I have the option of the first month half price which is kinda tempting. The full price is too much for me to keep it going, but being able to start and stop it is pretty good

It was on the last page, but I'll repost incase anyone missed it

https://bethesda.net/en/article/1OWOoa4vD02lV8zh7p2fvE/fallout-76-test-drive-fallout-1st

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

In FO76 how much can other players gently caress with your base? (Assuming you're set to pacifist)

Also I was grouped with some friends and I was able to place stuff in their base, and then something changed and I wasn't able to. Are you able to build stuff in ally bases using your own materials? Typing this out I think in the middle there I may have set the party to public in between being able to place and not - was that the issue?

The Slack Lagoon fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Apr 18, 2024

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

The Slack Lagoon posted:

In FO76 how much can other players gently caress with your base? (Assuming you're set to pacifist)

They can turn off all your lights manually and open your doors. You can also pick locked doors, nuke the camp location or if you're a real poo poo, lure some monsters to a camp and watch them break stuff slowly.

Bethesda fixed almost every major camp destroying exploit. No more radstag explosive griefing.

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Stranger in a Strange Land
I think the worst anyone can do now is steal materials from an extractor? You can put a lock on the extractor of course, but they can pick that.

This actually led to my favorite PvP encounter in this game - once I came back from an AFK in my camp to find another player standing in my camp with their back to me, busily picking the lock on my junk extractor. As soon as he popped it open he got flagged as wanted, making him killable. He was, I think, very surprised when he instantly caught an auto-axe to the back of his head.

To his credit, he came back after he respawned and we had a good laugh about it.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Also I was grouped with some friends and I was able to place stuff in their base, and then something changed and I wasn't able to. Are you able to build stuff in ally bases using your own materials? Typing this out I think in the middle there I may have set the party to public in between being able to place and not - was that the issue?

Public Groups are the Casual, Expedition, Role-Play, etc. You can't edit/add to these group-members camps.

Private Groups are formed by NOT being in a Public Group, and directly clicking your friends name to create a group. This one lets you build in each others camps.

It uses your own materials I think, and if they don't have the item learned, they can store it or move it but if they delete it, they can't place another.

I've never had it happen to me, but there's one soft-exploit still in-use to damage a Pacifist's camp - it involves the aggressor building a CAMP with turrets near your camp, and them having a friend who initiates PVP on them, and then hides in your base. The turrets will try to attack their friend and destroy your base in the process. It might be worth recording this and reporting those players but I can't tell you for sure if anything will happen.

Otacon fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Apr 19, 2024

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Psychedelicatessen posted:

They can turn off all your lights manually and open your doors. You can also pick locked doors, nuke the camp location or if you're a real poo poo, lure some monsters to a camp and watch them break stuff slowly.

Bethesda fixed almost every major camp destroying exploit. No more radstag explosive griefing.

Also if you build in the forest you can't be nuked. I still only have my original forest location. I keep meaning to put up an alternate camp but I'm just so used to my old one.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
No one player is gonna mess with your base, except mayyybe when you block one of the popular Lead deposits and some ammo crafter alt is inconvenienced.
The player base is very chill :3:
Just check every time the nuke alert goes off where it'll land. If your base is in the circle, just activate another base* and don't stand in the blast zone obvsly unless you want that cheevo.

*you can unlock owning multiple camps with the Atom currency, very hand to have fast travel points across the map if you're f2p and don't have the tent.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Apr 19, 2024

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

I reinstalled Fallout 76 and its way more fun than I last remembered it. I'm just taking my time checking out everything around the starting location but the game is really drat gorgeous with all the graphic settings on max. I really wish this was single player, though, because playing with other people in this game is the only thing I dislike about it.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Entorwellian posted:

I reinstalled Fallout 76 and its way more fun than I last remembered it. I'm just taking my time checking out everything around the starting location but the game is really drat gorgeous with all the graphic settings on max. I really wish this was single player, though, because playing with other people in this game is the only thing I dislike about it.

Well you could get 1st to avoid other people, but generally I've found FO76 to be a pretty friendly game where most people are just chilling and doing their own thing. Remember if somebody is in a camp or something you want to clear you can always just leave the server and load right into a different one.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
everyone pretend to be surprised

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1781095686366486530

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Started playing 3 again on series x and having Spotify going to exponentially increase the amount of 40s music I have access to as well as locked 60fps makes this a real good way to play. Well somehow the slave you have to free from the box in paradise falls will not stop following me crouched at all times while when talked to only says I’m not allowed to talk to the merchandise, never change Bethesda

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

YerDa Zabam posted:

The free week thing should be available to all. I did a month sub previously and was still able to get it surprising. Seems that I have the option of the first month half price which is kinda tempting. The full price is too much for me to keep it going, but being able to start and stop it is pretty good

It was on the last page, but I'll repost incase anyone missed it

https://bethesda.net/en/article/1OWOoa4vD02lV8zh7p2fvE/fallout-76-test-drive-fallout-1st

it also gives a 10% score boost even if you already have 1st

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I'm doing a new Fallout 4 playthrough and trying to explore every location in the game. It's funny how Survival difficulty is a lot easier when you reach level 20 before even getting to Diamond City.

I found a never-ending Radium Rifle, which is a fun legendary, although finding enough ammo to use it in automatic mode is a challenge. I don't buy the pre-existing legendary weapons because I prefer to let random chance decide for me. I also found a kneecapping Institute Rifle, and I'm using the Railway Rifle as well.

Fallout 76 has a lot going for it, but the shooting in Fallout 4 is just so much better.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
There a FO4 mod to just let me keybind turning the radio on and off? I found one but it requires a thing off a google drive asking for a permission request and I don't really want to do that.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Oh yeah, anyone starting FO76: one of the first goals you should strive for is getting the backpack blueprint from the boy scout camp.
A bit annoyingly, progress is tracked through the achievement system (I think under Social) rather than as quests, but only after meet the faction guy and agree to join as a weasel or whatever the junior rank is.

Also, your basic backpack recipe automatically improves as you level up. Don't be like me and remember to craft a new one every 10 levels or so :shobon:

If you have your heart set on playing in power armor, ignore all that and have a nice day. Entering a power suit will hard disable everything else, like backpacks or underarmor.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Apr 19, 2024

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/VGC_News/status/1780954449638572130?t=2VIcdQm2bGnU2EWRWk-HPw&s=19

it's a real renaissance moment for Fallout

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

I'm just waiting for next week's patch to start a new fresh run of 4, it's been a good 5 or more years since I've done a playthrough.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

So mad at all the fantasy weenies clamouring for more elder scrolls when they could be working on another mediocre fallout game instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

gradenko_2000 posted:

it's a real renaissance moment for Fallout

Excited to see other franchises scramble to have good TV shows so they can follow in the wake of Fallout and Cyberpunk. League of Legends had one too, of course, but there's not much you can do there.