Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Duke Nukem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
FO76 is expanding the main map :pervert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPfas18zdvc

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Stranger in a Strange Land
So my partner and I spent last night making newbie-friendly camps in the Forest near the Wayward, because she really really likes the idea of having a waystation where people can get purified water, cheap schematics, that sort of thing. It's really sweet considering she's only level 12 and is already trying to look out for the other newbies. :kiddo:

Is it possible to learn a schematic for a donation box like the ones in Flatwood and the train stations? We want to have a free supplies drop box at her camp, and I'm trying to figure out the best way to make that happen.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

Morality_Police posted:

So my partner and I spent last night making newbie-friendly camps in the Forest near the Wayward, because she really really likes the idea of having a waystation where people can get purified water, cheap schematics, that sort of thing. It's really sweet considering she's only level 12 and is already trying to look out for the other newbies. :kiddo:

Is it possible to learn a schematic for a donation box like the ones in Flatwood and the train stations? We want to have a free supplies drop box at her camp, and I'm trying to figure out the best way to make that happen.

Sadly not.

The workaround is to setup a vending machine and pricing everything at 0 Caps.

That doesn't prevent dicks from stealing stuff intended for newbies but the same would be true for a camp donation box.

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Stranger in a Strange Land

Sensenmann posted:

Sadly not.

The workaround is to setup a vending machine and pricing everything at 0 Caps.

That doesn't prevent dicks from stealing stuff intended for newbies but the same would be true for a camp donation box.

Curses! True, either way dicks will come pillage the free purified waters, the donation boxes just act as a visual reminder that they're for new players, as opposed to vending machines. I guess we can just put up some signage by the machine and hope that people are inspired to be less dickish. It could happen!

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I'm sorry I genuinely think you're both admirable and wonderful but you're both basically Lucy before realizing how the world works.

But please don't let that stop you, the world needs some Lucys.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I thought this was funny a hard-hitting expose on the travesty that is Amazon's Fallout:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Fotv/comments/1c7ulm5/amazons_fallout_is_the_worst_game_in_the_franchise/

Amazon's Fallout is the worst game in the franchise posted:

In a game series that's always been about player freedom, this is the worst to date.

There's no character creator, only one preset and you don't even get to choose your character build. Hope you like the name Lucy McLean because you're stuck with it.

Once again, we have a voiced protagonist. I thought Bethesda would have learned. And after being criticized about their 4 choice dialog wheel, apparently Todd Howard said "screw it" because there are no dialog options in this game at all. Lucy's catchphrase "Okey Dokey" encompasses those options anyway.

This is the most cutscene heavy game in the franchise. There are lots of cutscenes your character isn't even in. Long stretches of time where you're sitting watching other characters do stuff that has nothing to do with you

Loot is minimal. I only remember seeing one shop. There aren't any side quests, you're just following the main quest line for the most part. It is a good story though and adds a lot to the lore.

Inexplicably, they made this always online, you're streaming it from their servers. Really Amazon? You think you can succeed where Google Stadia failed? Good luck I guess.

I will praise it for it's huge improvements in the area of graphics, physics and animations. It looks completely real. Who thought Bethesda would ever boast the best graphics. But they had to sacrifice framerate as the experience is capped at 24 fps. In 2024. I guess Bethesda cares more about making their screenshots look pretty.

There aren't a lot of guns in this one and you don't get to use power armor but your companions are OP AF.

But we'll see how this all shakes out. There are a lot of ups and downs here. If I didn't know better, I would have thought this was made by David Cage but even his games have more interactivity

It’s literally unplayable.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

That’s actually pretty good lol

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
Why is the lighting in FO76 so bad compared to FO4? It’s like the game is on fullbright 90% of the time

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Missionary Positron posted:

Why is the lighting in FO76 so bad compared to FO4? It’s like the game is on fullbright 90% of the time

I think it’s because they added some enhancements, but without a bigger overhaul it doesn’t always look right. And occasionally it’s really bad.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

if I wanna use my premium bux to catch up on either a season or a Fallout 1st month, is there one that's especially good?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

How come I can't trade with my friend? He can't accept or offer trades.

Akalies
May 31, 2000

Missionary Positron posted:

Why is the lighting in FO76 so bad compared to FO4?

This is a consequence of rather harsh "optimizations" done around the time of the Wastelanders and PlayStation releases. At launch the lighting was much better, lots of bespoke area specific lighting such as in the mega mansions got ripped out. The day/night cycle was gutted due to player complaints as well.

There are various mods on the Nexus, but I can't speak for them. RTX HDR, toying with brightness/contrast seem pretty good for me.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Akalies posted:

This is a consequence of rather harsh "optimizations" done around the time of the Wastelanders and PlayStation releases. At launch the lighting was much better, lots of bespoke area specific lighting such as in the mega mansions got ripped out. The day/night cycle was gutted due to player complaints as well.

There are various mods on the Nexus, but I can't speak for them. RTX HDR, toying with brightness/contrast seem pretty good for me.

i played at launch. maybe it looked somewhat better then, i don't remember well enough, but it definitely still had issues compared to 4, imo.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

FO76 continues to endear itself to me.
I set up a way station near the bridge to Wayward and got a bunch of newbies to pass through, take some supplies and shower me in heart emojis.
The only reason I want to advance is so that I have more stuff to pass on.

Someone set up an advanced base near me, came over and dropped ten plans and a pretty cool gun.

I'm surprised at how generous everyone has been. Even the voice chat is chill.

Griz
May 21, 2001

bought FO76 on steam sale for $7 or w/e, logged in, did tutorial, was immediately greeted by some guy shouting the n word so i just logged out and uninstalled

can't even get my $7 back bc it's not a steam product

Akalies
May 31, 2000
Some tips for new and returning players:

Buy cold shoulder (and potentially auto axe) crafting from the atom shop. The bundle might be cheaper. You can grind stamps for it, but the atom shop purchase is account wide and way less obnoxious. Cold shoulder is an instant god roll and one of the few viable shotguns in the game. It's only going to get better with the upcoming rebalance. Must have if you're interested in a shotgun character. It's also fantastic for leveling, and the utility of freezing whatever. The auto axe is great, but the chainsaw is pretty comparable.

Minerva, the travelling gold buillon merchant is worth studying up on and planning for. She carries stuff like the gauss weapon plans at a discount. If you're running pistols I highly encourage you to pick up the crusader plan from her. https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/Minerva

Your choices during the Wastelanders quests (and luck avoiding bugs) determine which unique items and plans you get. Slug Buster from the raider's quest is one of the most slept on legendaries in the game; you can sometimes find it in player vendors. Great for gunslingers, commandos, riflemen, and guerillas.

Many weapon types are viable for the endgame now, assuming you build for them and get the right weapon. Be prepared to study up before investing. Or just do whatever as long as you're having fun.

Off the top of my head these weapon classes can all do top tier damage if you really want to solo bosses; gunslinger, shotguns, auto melee, commando.

Akalies fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Apr 20, 2024

Akalies
May 31, 2000

Rinkles posted:

i played at launch.

Fair enough, me too since beta. The games have different art styles and Todd was full of poo poo about 16x the detail. Fallout 76 is an asset flip.

That said the lighting got changed a few times with Wastelanders, The Pitt, and Nuka World. Those launches were pretty okay, but not developed by the A-Team. Parts of these projects were outsourced to companies like Skybox Labs or Double Eleven and it shows. The Whitespring renovation is another example of the lighting just being stripped away.

Akalies fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Apr 20, 2024

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Cool, I didn’t know Double Eleven worked on 76.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Griz posted:

bought FO76 on steam sale for $7 or w/e, logged in, did tutorial, was immediately greeted by some guy shouting the n word so i just logged out and uninstalled

can't even get my $7 back bc it's not a steam product

you can just turn player mics off

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

yeah I don't mean to be rude or whatever but every single multiplayer game except Journey runs the risk of having an n-word event, and I guess it's likely that someone has spelled it out in Journey through morse code or interpretive dance.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

Akalies posted:

RTX HDR + Dynamic Vibrance helped a bit for outside lighting but in-door lighting still alternates between blown out or just flat. I'm starting to think that it's just not fixable :(.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Fallout players have brought Nexus Mods to its knees, congrats!

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

I decided to install fo4 on my ps4 (I'm far too poor for good computer or current-gen) so i could tour all the settlements and buildings i made in 2016 or whatever.

Turns out the game is completely broken and you can't even launch it on ps4 if you have the robit crafting dlc.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I wonder if they're going to fix that the in-game mod browser for the playstation version doesn't work in Asia

I'm guessing no

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

gradenko_2000 posted:

I wonder if they're going to fix that the in-game mod browser for the playstation version doesn't work in Asia

I'm guessing no

I can't even get far enough to access the mod browser, it crashes after the bethesda logo.

The current gen content update that's scheduled for the 25th is supposed to fix it on last gen consoles, apparently last gen xbox is also having a problem.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

titties posted:

I decided to install fo4 on my ps4 (I'm far too poor for good computer or current-gen) so i could tour all the settlements and buildings i made in 2016 or whatever.

Turns out the game is completely broken and you can't even launch it on ps4 if you have the robit crafting dlc.

On PS5 (no dlc) when the opening cutscene finished for me and you're staring at yourself in the mirror, the game never played any dialogue and I had to close and restart the application twice before the game progressed.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I've been playing FO76 on PC with minimal issues, thankfully.

It's, like, fine, I suppose. Unfortunately, it's less "playing Fallout with friends!" and more "playing an action MMO solo". But I suppose it's nice to play any new Fallout again. Sigh.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

FO76 has just been crazy the past week. I went from being just a random dude watching everything explode around me due to quad railroad rifle headshots to being the superstar in nearly every event I've done. With my perks, Union Armor, and Holy Fire I end up tanking every boss creature while a swarm of sub level 50s harmlessly chip away at it. It's actually kind of refreshing having events that are actually somewhat of a challenge because it isn't full of level 200+ players.

I also spent some time making low level handmades, fixers, etc and handing them out which was fun too.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Anyone else's F76 experiencing massive frame drops with the latest Nvidia drivers? Or was it caused by a recent patch?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I just got FO76 (PC version) for free via amazon gaming. The code is redeemed in the microsoft store, not steam. This raised a few questions for me:

1. How is the game on PC these days? I have paid zero attention to it. What fun level we talkin' here compared to release, which was widely panned?

2. Is there crossplay between MS store and Steam (guessing: yes), and also between PC and consoles? (probably not?)

3. Are there hackers on PC? Like people that do client side hacks to get a ton of nukes or caps or whatever and grief other players?

4. How bad is the pay2win and microtransaction aspect?

5. Is the MS Store version gimped at all or good to play? I literally never play games via MS Store.

thanks

Akalies
May 31, 2000

pmchem posted:

I just got FO76 (PC version) for free via amazon gaming.

1. It depends on what you're expecting out of the game. NPCs, new storylines, events, gear, etc. have been added since launch. Varying quality, but the game is absolutely more stable, varied, and fun. It's not a No Man's Sky style redemption story, but the community motivated Microsoft to keep improving it gradually, on a budget.

2. Yes to cross play on PC. Not with consoles, although this actually seems to be a bug up Bethesda's rear end and may happen with the influx of new players.

3. Not really, sort of. Lots of old legacy duped items, etc.You probably won't ever notice it, and if you do you can just hop servers. Turn off voice chat.

4. Not awful, but some atom shop stuff is essential and definitely exploits fomo. Lots of stuff is available for free, and if you're meticulous and wait for deals you can do pretty well on that front with the freebies and free currency.

5. Limited or no mod support, otherwise it's the same game. The mods are great (chat, perk load out managers, stat meters, etc.) but not essential to enjoying the game. If you love it you can find cheap steam keys all over. Your progress will carry over, I believe.

Akalies fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Apr 20, 2024

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Black Griffon posted:

if I wanna use my premium bux to catch up on either a season or a Fallout 1st month, is there one that's especially good?

get the one with the different 1st shelters

it’s nice to have a work bench to break down scrap you can store whenever you need in the appalachia overworld

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

I find it kinda weird that 76 starts you off with the ability to construct floors and roofs, but not walls? :psyduck:

I ended up buying a wall type with the atomic points from Fallout 1st, but really?

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

pmchem posted:

1. How is the game on PC these days? I have paid zero attention to it. What fun level we talkin' here compared to release, which was widely panned?

If you just avoid other players and play through the original campaign (following the Overseer, basically), I think it's a pretty fun Fallout game.

I didn't particularly enjoy trying to play it as an MMO, but I'm not big in to MMOs while I do enjoy Fallout games.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Apr 20, 2024

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Entorwellian posted:

I find it kinda weird that 76 starts you off with the ability to construct floors and roofs, but not walls? :psyduck:

I ended up buying a wall type with the atomic points from Fallout 1st, but really?

Huh?? I think you missed a menu.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Inzombiac posted:

Huh?? I think you missed a menu.

Nope. Started a new character and you don't start with any as a default. You have to buy it or find schematics.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Entorwellian posted:

FWIW there are tons of plans available without using atoms.

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe
I’m interested in playing fallout 2 - are there any crucial quality of life mods for playing on modern pcs with higher image quality / etc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I pick up fo76 on steam for 10bux and was worried the progression from game pass wouldn't carry over but it did.

No more grinding to get my power armors. Though I realized my biggest issue is my weapons sucked rear end. I had a homemade for my general exploring and adventuring built, .50 cal for power armor events and the soul survivor for a sneaky sniper built. All which are just terrible in general. I went to the rusty pick and spent a bunch of my legendary script in hopes I got something decent, and after spending 2k I got a vampire tommy gun which is super effective, and a two poo poo plasma pistol which isn't too bad either.

I'll need to look through my crafting specs to see if I can built a better heavy weapon. I do have a nearly weightless rocket launcher but rockets are so heavy its not worth it.