Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
how ideal is it in fo76 to just fast travel as much as i can so i don't enter every single building to kill, loot and scrap everything along my way to quests?? not even level 50 yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
You will waste a bunch of caps but you can always come back later and explore what you skipped earlier.

I wouldn't call it ideal but if that's what you want to do, go for it.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
So I really need the extra carry capacity leg mods on my Excavator armor and I don't see any on the player vendors when I'm online. Is my only option sucking it up and buying it for ~6k from the robot in Camden? Is it possible to then craft and sell them to other players if I do?

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

Is there a way to cancel grenade throwing in 76? Getting a bit tired of forgetting left-alt is "hold-breath" when zoomed with a sniper rifle, but is "throw grenade and blow own legs off" when aiming down sights with my scoped hunting rifle.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
If you havent let go of alt yet you can chord R and it should holster and abort the grenade.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Megazver posted:

So I really need the extra carry capacity leg mods on my Excavator armor and I don't see any on the player vendors when I'm online. Is my only option sucking it up and buying it for ~6k from the robot in Camden? Is it possible to then craft and sell them to other players if I do?

So I've trying to find black titanium for this quest - I read I could find plenty at the junkyard, and indeed there's a mining node there that gives me a couple. I captured the workshop, waited 15 minutes or so, never respawned.

I also tried a mine that was supposed to have a lot - I ran out of ammo killing the mole miners, didn't find any.

Are these the best spots?

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Kaddish posted:

So I've trying to find black titanium for this quest - I read I could find plenty at the junkyard, and indeed there's a mining node there that gives me a couple. I captured the workshop, waited 15 minutes or so, never respawned.

I also tried a mine that was supposed to have a lot - I ran out of ammo killing the mole miners, didn't find any.

Scrapping mole miner junk gets you black titanium so you must have just missed it. It’s like the filters or scrap or something they drop that has it. I usually go to Welch station to kill miners, but the Lode Bearing and Uranium Fever events spawn a lot of them.

E: it’s not like a rare drop or anything. Kill a bunch of miners and they will drop a lot of those junk items.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Kaddish posted:

The mole miners drop Miner Suit Scrap, that scraps for black titanium. Hop onto Public Events with Mole Miners and you'll build a large stash of them quick. Also, Deathclaws drop it.

Update on mods: Minimum price you have buy them for is 5250 caps. Alas, I don't really see any way to craft them for resale in the Vendor but hey, at least I can make two for myself. EXCEPT, the mods require something called Purple Flux and I have no idea what that is. Sigghhhhhhhh.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Kaddish posted:

Dumb question, but did you build a resource extractor over the deposit and power it up?

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Megazver posted:

The mole miners drop Miner Suit Scrap, that scraps for black titanium. Hop onto Public Events with Mole Miners and you'll build a large stash of them quick. Also, Deathclaws drop it.

Update on mods: Minimum price you have buy them for is 5250 caps. Alas, I don't really see any way to craft them for resale in the Vendor but hey, at least I can make two for myself. EXCEPT, the mods require something called Purple Flux and I have no idea what that is. Sigghhhhhhhh.

Equip Hard Bargain perk and juice your charisma (sweet roll? Grape mentats, etc) to lower your buying prices. Flux is a high level crafting component that you can craft by gathering items in nuke zones. Plants you loot will give you different colors of unstable flux and you combine 10 of those with some special drops from monsters in nuke zones to make stable flux. Violet is easy to get because the queen area gets nuked a lot and has a lot of violet flux. It’s the other drops (hardened mass, irradiated blood, etc) that are annoying.

Also every time you help kill SBQ you get a random bunch of stable flux as a reward. Sometimes players sell it too at player vendors.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Paying2Lurk posted:

Dumb question, but did you build a resource extractor over the deposit and power it up?

I sure didn't! I just found out that was a thing!

Thanks for the other tips everyone. I didn't realize I had to scrap that stuff.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Kaddish posted:

I sure didn't! I just found out that was a thing!

Thanks for the other tips everyone. I didn't realize I had to scrap that stuff.

Oh yeah, I don't know if the game ever shows you how to do that in a quest or something, but that's how you get resources.

You'll also have to defend the workshop from time to time so build some turrets and walls as well. You'll get a notification and a countdown when it's happening.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Equip Hard Bargain perk and juice your charisma (sweet roll? Grape mentats, etc) to lower your buying prices. [quote]

Oh yeah, that's with all that. There is a bottom on the price and I hit it so hard with my maxed out Cha that it didn't change after I ate the grape mentats.

[quote]Flux is a high level crafting component that you can craft by gathering items in nuke zones. Plants you loot will give you different colors of unstable flux and you combine 10 of those with some special drops from monsters in nuke zones to make stable flux. Violet is easy to get because the queen area gets nuked a lot and has a lot of violet flux. It’s the other drops (hardened mass, irradiated blood, etc) that are annoying.

Also every time you help kill SBQ you get a random bunch of stable flux as a reward. Sometimes players sell it too at player vendors.

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Rinkles posted:

i finished the show. could you link to what you were referring to?

https://www.ign.com/articles/fallout-official-timeline-confirmed-how-the-show-fits-in-with-the-games

TLDR while the chalkboard says Fall of Shady Sands 2077, Todd confirms the actual nuking pf the town happens after New Vegas, which is 2281.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I played a bunch of fo76 yesterday and convinced a friend to check it out with me. Game's a lot of fun! I'm really really enjoying it after the initial burst of confusion in trying to figure out how everything is slightly different from regular fallout. My friend won't shut up about how the timelines don't really line up with the other games in the series but I just tuned him out so I don't know his specific complaint.

So this game had zero npcs when it came out, huh? Was everything like the army training I just did where you push a button to get a story dump before moving on? I'll say the npcs here feel far less real than npcs in other fallouts because they either have nothing to say or creepily walk backwards everywhere but it's a world populated by non players at least which gives the illusion of a living world.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

What's the most pain free way to gather screws in 76? It's such a loving bottleneck.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

explosivo posted:

So this game had zero npcs when it came out, huh? Was everything like the army training I just did where you push a button to get a story dump before moving on? I'll say the npcs here feel far less real than npcs in other fallouts because they either have nothing to say or creepily walk backwards everywhere but it's a world populated by non players at least which gives the illusion of a living world.

The main storyline is still in the game. It feels really weird, yeah. Whoever pushed for 'no NPCs' (I've read somewhere that wasn't a Twitter rant that it was Todd, but who knows anymore) did the game a huge disfavor.

Black Griffon posted:

What's the most pain free way to gather screws in 76? It's such a loving bottleneck.

I generally Google "[whatever I'm looking for] Fallout 76" and the Wiki usually has all the good locations helpfully listed:

https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/Screw_(Fallout_76)

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Black Griffon posted:

This is why I loot every desk fan and typewriter I see throughout the wasteland.

Eventually what you want to do is join the 'Colossal Problem' event. It basically spawns endless amounts of Wendigos while you fight a very difficult boss and each one drops a handful of screws. You can end up looting a LOT of screws in just one event.

Colossal Problem is one of the harder events because it is limited to like 8 people, so if the 'wrong' 8 people join (all 8 people are low level or have bad weapons/builds) you are pretty much screwed. :dadjoke:

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Black Griffon posted:

tag it. clipboards and fans are the big ones yao gaui and wendigos drop them. https://docs.google.com/document/u/0/d/1Jnc0FQ3QgkUO6HZObeeGksDTPwno1Fa-Bt7uXeqWib4/mobilebasic#h.p14wcsgx9tkk this Google doc is far from complete and a lot of the suggestions are questionable but it's useful

edit or maybe clipboards are springs gently caress if I can ever keep it straight

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
It's me. I'm the weirdo who liked when there were no NPCs. Made the world really feel unexplored and desolate. But yeah, they weren't added until the first big expansion. Just bots and recordings before that.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Black Griffon posted:

It's not pain free, but you gotta join the Earle event (Colossal Problem) when it pops up.
Just bring a rad suit or powerarmor, follow the other players and plink away at his two heads.
But most importantly, kill some Wendigo adds and loot them.
All the screws you could ever need.
Quickly put on the rad suit when you're at the mine exit :)

e; don't stand in the fire, it's a world of warcraft kinda fight and not too popular for.. reasons.
You may have to pop the nuke on the mine yourself.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Apr 28, 2024

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I asked earlier but gonna toss it out there again:

FO4: if I click on mods in-game I get a big list. If I’m just adding a couple (sim settlements specifically) is that safe and fine to do without problems? I’m not gonna go ham, but a couple of mods would be nice, though I’m not opposed to a vanilla playthrough. I just don’t want to the usual install 6 other programs first to play a modded Bethesda game dance.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Not sure exactly what you're asking, do you mean "should I use a 3rd party mod manager"? If so then yes, you really should even if it's just for something like SS2 (which has at least a couple of prereqs) - it will help you track when stuff is updated and help install it, at the bare minimum.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Got it. Yeah I was just hoping I could install it through the ingame mod browser and it be fine, basically.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I am reinstalling 4 after bouncing off 76 on a reinstall (I'm lvl 100 but the new content for me, Pitt and Atlantic City) felt like just more infinite wave nonsense against my suboptimal build.

I know next gen blew up the mod scene, and I am not looking to mod in a million new things but this will be my third playthrough, so anything really 5-stars worth tossing in that still work?

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Speaking of FO4, I've got a weird issue where sporadically it seems to load low res textures of things like buildings and chunks of the highway on top of what should be there. I pass through these and they're not accurate, so I'm guessing it's the low LOD stuff that's intended to only be rendered for things that's far away in the distance.

I don't think it's a mod, because I'm only running Full Dialogue Interface, the Unofficial Fallout 4 Patch, Scrap Everything and Start Me Up. (Everything I used to run broke because F4SE doesn't work anymore so I decided to do a cleanish run.)

It's a new issue since I did a clean reinstall when the big patch dropped, and I didn't mess with much I think except fiddling a bit in the .ini with the whole iPresentInterval issue to get the game to actually run.

Anyone know what's causing this and how to fix it? Googling it is surprisingly hard because google is trash and I get unrelated stuff about texture issues.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

the engine is just really not good at handling LOD, it fucks it up even in things like the simple turntable stuff it shows during loading a new area. you'll see it render the high rez model with all the textures in place and then bafflingly, switch to the LOD version for just no reason at all :shrug:
e: this is with a preset camera versus 100% predictable content with no other objects in view, just baffling

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Paying2Lurk posted:

Oh yeah, I don't know if the game ever shows you how to do that in a quest or something, but that's how you get resources.

You'll also have to defend the workshop from time to time so build some turrets and walls as well. You'll get a notification and a countdown when it's happening.

I didn't know if I should actually spend time/resources on it when it seems anyone can come along and just take it from me.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Usually there are better ways to farm most things than bothering with workshops. If you have 1st you can set up a private server and build on a bunch of workshops without worrying about anybody. Personally I don't bother with them, and I've noticed most people don't seem to bother, but you always run that risk.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Taeke posted:

Speaking of FO4, I've got a weird issue where sporadically it seems to load low res textures of things like buildings and chunks of the highway on top of what should be there. I pass through these and they're not accurate, so I'm guessing it's the low LOD stuff that's intended to only be rendered for things that's far away in the distance.

I don't think it's a mod, because I'm only running Full Dialogue Interface, the Unofficial Fallout 4 Patch, Scrap Everything and Start Me Up. (Everything I used to run broke because F4SE doesn't work anymore so I decided to do a cleanish run.)

It's a new issue since I did a clean reinstall when the big patch dropped, and I didn't mess with much I think except fiddling a bit in the .ini with the whole iPresentInterval issue to get the game to actually run.

Anyone know what's causing this and how to fix it? Googling it is surprisingly hard because google is trash and I get unrelated stuff about texture issues.

I still get these too. It's an old issue that has never been 100% resolved. I just end up quicksaving/quickloading and that usually fixes it for the time being.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Usually there are better ways to farm most things than bothering with workshops. If you have 1st you can set up a private server and build on a bunch of workshops without worrying about anybody. Personally I don't bother with them, and I've noticed most people don't seem to bother, but you always run that risk.

Dang, I do have 1st and didn’t think of that. For the purposes of gathering junk it might make sense to do private?

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Yeah, if you have 1st just go private and take over like 4 workshops. Then run around and do stuff while they collect. If you get sick of defending them, let a couple go undefended. But workshops you control are free fast travel points so they can be useful just for zipping around the map when need be.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Entorwellian posted:

I still get these too. It's an old issue that has never been 100% resolved. I just end up quicksaving/quickloading and that usually fixes it for the time being.

Okay cool, thanks! I'll just stop worrying about it then. Like I said, it only happens sporadically and like you said, a quick reload fixes it, so it's not a big issue.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
The HD re-texture mod makes a substantial difference. Highly recommended.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout76/mods/1209

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
always wondered if people backported things from FO76 back to Fallout 4.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Kaddish posted:

The HD re-texture mod makes a substantial difference. Highly recommended.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout76/mods/1209

What's the performance hit like with this?

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

explosivo posted:

What's the performance hit like with this?

For me I would say not-significant. I imagine as long as you have enough VRAM you're pretty good to go. I'm on a 4080.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Kaddish posted:

For me I would say not-significant. I imagine as long as you have enough VRAM you're pretty good to go. I'm on a 4080.

Thanks! I may check it out. The textures don't bug me all that much, although I imagine it's one of those things that isn't super apparent until you get the replaced textures in there.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Thanks for the screw advice.

Another question: is there any food besides seasoning and water that I should keep for crafting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Well, they got me. Subbed to FO1 for a bit...