Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Dunno but I've only seen the robot rumble once and just caught the last 20 seconds. Seems fun.

Is there an online timer or are they random?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
A random one every 20 minutes, plus player dropped nukes and plus whenever someone summons the Sheepsquatch
Yeah it kinda sucks if it's low tier trash all evening :(

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I read conflicting things about perks in FO4. Some places say you can only gets perks up to level 50, some say it's not capped. Do I need to plan for 50 points or will I keep getting perks after that?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Me and my bud hopped onto Eviction Notice right after we hit 50 a few days ago. We died quite a lot, but we pulled through, carried by all the nutters jetpacking around with quad rocket launchers. I read something about a max player count of eight upthread, but I'm not sure what that was about. I feel like we were more than eight people there, but every inch of the area was in a constant state of blowing up on fire and bathed in radiation, so it was hard to know for sure.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Black Griffon posted:

Me and my bud hopped onto Eviction Notice right after we hit 50 a few days ago. We died quite a lot, but we pulled through, carried by all the nutters jetpacking around with quad rocket launchers. I read something about a max player count of eight upthread, but I'm not sure what that was about. I feel like we were more than eight people there, but every inch of the area was in a constant state of blowing up on fire and bathed in radiation, so it was hard to know for sure.

8 players is for the Earle Event in the Monogah Mine. For the open world events you can have the entire server pile in.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

JBP posted:

I read conflicting things about perks in FO4. Some places say you can only gets perks up to level 50, some say it's not capped. Do I need to plan for 50 points or will I keep getting perks after that?

You keep getting perk cards when you level up but you stop getting SPECIAL points/perk card slots at 50.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

8 players is for the Earle Event in the Monogah Mine. For the open world events you can have the entire server pile in.

I hopped into that today for the first time and I was the third person there. Boy did he die slow.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

if the event that pops up is trash or isn't getting anyone just hop servers it's not worth waiting around on a dead world hoping for something. you've got between 4-6 minutes for most events to start after they pop and if you're really lucky you can drop into an event where they've done the annoying stuff and it's shooting time.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Megazver posted:

You keep getting perk cards when you level up but you stop getting SPECIAL points/perk card slots at 50.

You're talking 76. The person you quoted mentioned Fallout 4. You keep getting perk points at all levels in Fallout 4.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Arivia posted:

You're talking 76. The person you quoted mentioned Fallout 4. You keep getting perk points at all levels in Fallout 4.

Oh yes, true. Me not being the only one who made this mistake might be the reason for the mixed signals, lol.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Kaddish posted:

How's come I haven't seen the Eviction Notice event since I've started playing? (a week or so)

I just solo'd the first 6 minutes of an Eviction Notice before a couple slowpoke low-levels joined in

Choo choo gang style

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Your level and perks are entirely uncapped in FO4. If you somehow play enough to make your level overflow the 16 bit signed integer assigned to it you will crash the game

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

SettingSun posted:

Your level and perks are entirely uncapped in FO4. If you somehow play enough to make your level overflow the 16 bit signed integer assigned to it you will crash the game

Do the enemies like deathclaws keep scaling 'til you're around level 30 000? How many years of playing would this take :ohdear:

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Man it's crazy how much better commando is than rifleman in 76. I leveled up to 85 at release using a rifleman sneak build with a gauss rifle/lever/handmade and it's perfectly fine outside of events. But it's easy to get overwhelmed with lots of enemies and it didn't feel like I was contributing much in big events/bosses. I had a furious plasma gun so I tried that with the flamer mod. It was a lot of fun leading off with the gauss then switching to that when stuff got close to hose them down, but apparently they made it so the flamer (properly) scales off of commando instead of rifleman which made me sad.

I was enjoying the flamer so on a lark I switched to commando along with a furious handmade and lol. I could charge a full gauss shot and one shot stuff... or just hold down the trigger for 2-3 shots from the handmade in the same or less time. Oh and I can kill 5-6 enemies in the time it'd take me to kill 2-3 with the gauss or lever, and that's assuming no missed shots with the rifles. The plasma with flamer barrel is even more ridiculous now, and I actually notice the health bar moving when I shoot the scorched queen too!

I love sneaky sniper in my fallout games but unfortunately rifleman feels straight-up inferior to commando in 76. It'd be nice if they did something to make it on par with commando.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rappaport posted:

Do the enemies like deathclaws keep scaling 'til you're around level 30 000? How many years of playing would this take :ohdear:

there are deathclaw variants up to level 91: https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/Deathclaw_(Fallout_4)

honestly, both fallout 4 and skyrim have some very cool enemy variants you rarely see if ever because they only spawn at very high levels.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

My "explore everything" character is at level 65. I've run out of great perks, so I'm taking odd ones like Ghoulish, and I've maxed out Strength, Endurance, and Charisma.

The new update adds a lot of fun weapons. I'm pleasantly surprised my saves are intact. The piggy bank launcher and Tesla Cannon feel like Survival-friendly versions of the Fat Man and missile launcher, since the ammo is much lighter. However, I'm getting terrible frame rate drops about once a minute ever since I installed the update. Is there any particular fix for this?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Arivia posted:

there are deathclaw variants up to level 91: https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/Deathclaw_(Fallout_4)

honestly, both fallout 4 and skyrim have some very cool enemy variants you rarely see if ever because they only spawn at very high levels.

I knew it was something like that, I was just making a bad large numbers joke.

I know I've seen at least one albino variant, but all deathclaws freak me out.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Megazver posted:

Oh yes, true. Me not being the only one who made this mistake might be the reason for the mixed signals, lol.

Yeah that must be the point of confusion elsewhere too. Thanks!

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Otacon posted:

Weapons very much so follow the current meta / flavor of the month. Even badly rolled Fixers will get purchased for a few hundred caps, and some weapons are literally so rare and sought-after that they get traded in other items valued at multiple (even hundreds) of times the 40k cap limit. You can get an idea of valuable weapons/rolls from this external site, however please note some of these prices are wayyyyyyyy out of wack and again you should use these prices as a way to gauge "whoa wait, how expensive is this weapon?!?" https://fed76.info/pricing/

So when this thing says an item is ‘probably trade only’ I should probably consider using it when it fits my build, then?

The item it’s saying this about is a juggernauts radium rifle with explosive bullets and +vats crit and I was already working my way toward a commando build for railway rifle anyway.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
i played 76 for a bit on ps plus and got it a couple weeks ago bc it was on super deal and drat, they really went and made this game fun as hell huh? im just... generally having a good time doing fallout type things. i love the setting, i love how it does some of the fo4 stuff but in a less annoying way, i know the early release complaint was nothing to do but this game is jam packed with stuff to do, and thats just counting actual quests and faction outposts, etc. it feels really alive.

good game

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

shiksa posted:

i played 76 for a bit on ps plus and got it a couple weeks ago bc it was on super deal and drat, they really went and made this game fun as hell huh? im just... generally having a good time doing fallout type things. i love the setting, i love how it does some of the fo4 stuff but in a less annoying way, i know the early release complaint was nothing to do but this game is jam packed with stuff to do, and thats just counting actual quests and faction outposts, etc. it feels really alive.

good game

Yeah 76 is legit a good game now.
My wife is replaying 4 again and I'm slowly convincing her to join me in West Virginia.

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
Just started playing Fallout 4 for the first time ever (on PS5). I've been reading conflicting things about what happens when junk gets broken down automatically at the workbench for a particular resource - some people say the other resources are added to your stash, others say that they disappear and are wasted. Does anyone know which is true? The whole settlement building seems like a bit of a chore and I'd don't want to spend ages manually breaking down junk!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Lamont posted:

Just started playing Fallout 4 for the first time ever (on PS5). I've been reading conflicting things about what happens when junk gets broken down automatically at the workbench for a particular resource - some people say the other resources are added to your stash, others say that they disappear and are wasted. Does anyone know which is true? The whole settlement building seems like a bit of a chore and I'd don't want to spend ages manually breaking down junk!

I'm not building a settlement because that's for nerds. I keep all my poo poo at my house in Diamond City. I can't build things in my own home because I'm not a local leader though which is demented since my guy is a genius that could work out how to make a bench with a clamp on it.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Lamont posted:

The extra unused components are added to the workshop inventory and are not lost

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?

Vinylshadow posted:

The extra unused components are added to the workshop inventory and are not lost

awesome, thank you!

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Lamont posted:

I've never had any resources wasted from scrapping them at a workbench, but there are a lot of quirks and systems programmed into the settlement that it kind of pays off to look at a guide to learn about. For example, settlement production stops when workshop inventory reaches a particular level (I don't remember the math formula off the top of my head) before scrap collectors and renewable resources stop putting items in your storage. If you are not using your settlement inventory and letting it stockpile, you will have settlers not working their jobs and might have a deficit in certain resources. This is why its recommended to specialize your settlements for water, food, fertilizer, or scrap.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Oh, a tour.

To-do list is to put down some carpet, add some interesting decorations around the crafting stations, set up a power armor workstation and figure out what I can cut to make sure I can do all that with the resource budget. Then I'll probably come up with some other base I want to build and abandon this one.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Looks great!
I have a bad habit of making huge structures that I then don't have enough budget to decorate well.

Next build is going to have only a 3x3 footprint as a challenge of efficiency.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I made a nice little shack using that video posted a few pages back detailing how to do stuff like change the height of foundations. I also blew my resources on the building and don't have a ton of plans for decorations so it's kind of barren inside atm.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Highly recommend new players grab the modern lights (high-tech?) plan. It gives a bunch of great options, especially if you are merging to hide light sources.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

CobiWann posted:

I'm a new player and nervous about Expeditions. I don't want to join one and watch everyone rush about while I have no clue what's going on. Same with Daily Ops.

The Atlantic City Expedition is the easiest thing in the world and we basically do it to farm ammo at this point lol

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Also I never play rpgs so i spent the first 60 levels not knowing how to build anything and am paying for it lol.

I just picked cards that sounded neat lol.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
At least you can't really waste anything, you need to grind up unnecessary cards anyway for your legendary perks

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah I never leveled up anything so I have mostly ones

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

Black Griffon posted:

Oh, a tour.

To-do list is to put down some carpet, add some interesting decorations around the crafting stations, set up a power armor workstation and figure out what I can cut to make sure I can do all that with the resource budget. Then I'll probably come up with some other base I want to build and abandon this one.

I used the Iron Mountain Anvil as base. It's not too big and I'm actually happy how it turned out because I usually just plop down a structure, fill it with something and be done with it.

Need to replace the downstair carpets, don't like them.

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Stranger in a Strange Land
I'm finally trying out a commando build since they are apparently so good, but I'm struggling with making a decent legendary to mess around with. My best so far is a 2-shot, Explosive, 15% faster reload handmade, but I notice the 2-shot makes it basically a scatter gun when hip firing. Do people generally do VATS builds for commando or hipfire? I think I have the points to make it a VATS build, but I'm unsure if I should do that or reroll some more until I get something other than 2-shot on the handmade.

Never yet rolled a quad rifle. I got lucky and rolled a quad on my gauss shotgun on the 2nd try, but other than that, the only quad weapon I've gotten my hands on is a quad cryolater, which...I guess probably has SOME utility? Maybe?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

The only Commando gun Quad is super blatant for is the Railway rifle. For the others a good thing to look out for is an Anti-Armor Fixer, and in general AA plus Faster Fire Rate is a very good baseline.

Yeas you want VATS for any of the high recoil (Railway) or high spread guns.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

Morality_Police posted:

I'm finally trying out a commando build since they are apparently so good, but I'm struggling with making a decent legendary to mess around with. My best so far is a 2-shot, Explosive, 15% faster reload handmade, but I notice the 2-shot makes it basically a scatter gun when hip firing. Do people generally do VATS builds for commando or hipfire? I think I have the points to make it a VATS build, but I'm unsure if I should do that or reroll some more until I get something other than 2-shot on the handmade.

Never yet rolled a quad rifle. I got lucky and rolled a quad on my gauss shotgun on the 2nd try, but other than that, the only quad weapon I've gotten my hands on is a quad cryolater, which...I guess probably has SOME utility? Maybe?

Commando is usually VATS, yes. TS is decent in VATS but horrible for hipfiring. The Fixer is the best of the traditional Ballistic weapons, Handmade is second. Railway Rifles, especially Quad/Explosive are what you want for deleting pretty much everything but you HAVE to use VATS for that. The recoil is beyond insane.

Depending on your build, full health or low health, you could try rolling for one of the following:

Full health: Juggernaut, Quad, Executioner, Anti-Armor, Aristocrat (only if it's the only weapon you have)
Low Health: Bloodied (obvious), Quad, Vampire, Anti-Armor

Most legendary prefixes have a purpose but some are automatic scrip. Nocturnal, Exterminator, Mutants, Troubleshooter, Berserker and I'm probably forgetting something. These are all universally garbage. Supressor has a use case for support builds but I'd still script that.

Cryolators are good support weapons for the boss fights. Freeze them in place or slow down the Queen flying around.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

The full tummy mod is trash too imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Flesh Forge posted:

The only Commando gun Quad is super blatant for is the Railway rifle. For the others a good thing to look out for is an Anti-Armor Fixer, and in general AA plus Faster Fire Rate is a very good baseline.

Yeas you want VATS for any of the high recoil (Railway) or high spread guns.

Explain a bit more I am stupid