Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

The_Doctor posted:

Ah boo, I thought the series was going to be weekly drops. :smith:

It's easier to test for bugs this way. Fans already found one on episode 6! :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
New Fallout 4 content! :toot:

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Hell yeah. I'm kinda worried though that this is going to break my current game because I've been relying on the high FPS physics mod to fix monitor refresh rate bug.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
you can just change the fallout 4 appmanifest to read only and it will stop updating.

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Stranger in a Strange Land
Like probably a lot of other people...okay, maybe a few other people...I decided to come back to 76 for a bit as a result of the show. Taking 6 seasons off is a trip. I went down by Mt Blair to do a daily challenge, saw the Nuka...circus? Also, there's a new cave full of cultists that has been added inside the radius of my camp, so now there's a little tunnel at the back of my scrapyard where the weird mothman cultists live. In true Appalachian fashion, I sit in the rocking chair on my porch watching people buy my schematics and ammo and say of my neighbors, "They're a bit peculiar, but they leave me alone, so I leave them alone."

The last time I was playing was when the Pitt came out. I still haven't done anything in Atlantic City, but I've found a couple new events and joined in for some fun rewards. I turns out I had like 1600 atoms from when I was last playing and and evidently couldn't muster the :effort: to spend them, so hey, now I know how to make Cold Shoulder! I think it's actually doing more damage than my gauss shotgun, which is wild. I picked up a legendary pump action shotgun, Kabloom, that does poison damage. That seems like that might be good?

What else is worth hunting down immediately? I'm working on the season rewards, since I hear the Cremator is really strong, but aside from that, anything I should be chasing? I've been switching back and forth between a full health shotgun build and my trusty auto-axe melee maniac build, and there is still nothing I've found that deletes HP bars like the auto-axe. I want to give heavy weapons and power armor a try, but should I just wait on that until I unlock the cremator?

This game is still a janky mess, but I'm genuinely enjoying it, for the time being anyway.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Is talking about the show, since according to Todd the show is "Canon" to the games :roflolmao: , in this thread okay or should it be kept to TV IV?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
why not

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

MH Knights posted:

Is talking about the show, since according to Todd the show is "Canon" to the games :roflolmao: , in this thread okay or should it be kept to TV IV?
For what it’s worth, the show does seem to do a good job of capturing the spirit of the later games. I would have preferred something tonally aligned with the original Fallout, but the show is at least fun. And, for a more serious take on similar issues there’s always Silo (which was shockingly good).

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
so i reinstalled 4 instead of new vegas. Is there a mod out there that divorces perks from character levels? I thought the one I picked did that, but on level up I dropped a point in slugger and the next level has a character level requirement.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Other than Far Harbour, which sounds pretty great, is any of the Fallout 4 DLC worth getting while the 60% off sale is active? I could get the season pass for $16.44 CDN, but Nuka-Land is apparently "side with raiders for content," and the rest is largely settlement building, which I do a little of, but isn't the most super-enthralling part of the game.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
depends. If you are gonna be modding you might need the other DLC at some point. At this stage a lot of mods do require assets from basegame expansions.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah it's more that getting all the dlc is better for mod compatibility if you're at all going to do it

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Reasonable. I haven't actually done much modding, but that's partly because I only recently installed the game at all, and also the update coming whether you like it or not is probably going to break all the mods anyway.

One of the DLC lets you make ammo factories, which sounds nice for my planned "revolver-type pistol only" playthrough since those all use the very rare .44 ammo.

If there's some kind of lumberjack mod which lets me harvest dead and fallen stumps from the places which are not within a small radius of a usable workship, that would be nice.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

For those playing FO76, there is a free ally in the atomic shop.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

drat Dirty Ape posted:

For those playing FO76, there is a free ally in the atomic shop.

i haven't played in years. what does that mean?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Rinkles posted:

i haven't played in years. what does that mean?

A free piece of themed furniture that spawns an NPC to hang out in your camp. Sometimes there are in game mechanics attached to them. For an example, there's a toybox that spawns a young girl. During the day she's a merchant that sells snacks and comic books and at night she pretends to be a superhero who can give you minor buffs.

At my Hunting Lodge themed Bed and Breakfast I have a retired writer renting one of the rooms purely as set dressing.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Yes. This one is a brotherhood initiate who gives a buff that makes you repair things better. It’s based on a character from the new show.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Morality_Police posted:

What else is worth hunting down immediately? I'm working on the season rewards, since I hear the Cremator is really strong, but aside from that, anything I should be chasing? I've been switching back and forth between a full health shotgun build and my trusty auto-axe melee maniac build, and there is still nothing I've found that deletes HP bars like the auto-axe. I want to give heavy weapons and power armor a try, but should I just wait on that until I unlock the cremator?

This game is still a janky mess, but I'm genuinely enjoying it, for the time being anyway.

The special flamer “Holy Fire” you can get from the Beast of Burden” event is incredibly powerful and a fantastic way to start a heavy power armor build. It does a ton of damage and the default one has vampiric so it heals you. Final Word is a quest HMG that is quite good too. Cremator is cool but uses a shitload of ammo. With Holy Fire I gain about 2000 fuel every time I do an expedition so ammo isn’t an issue.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Other than Far Harbour, which sounds pretty great, is any of the Fallout 4 DLC worth getting while the 60% off sale is active? I could get the season pass for $16.44 CDN, but Nuka-Land is apparently "side with raiders for content," and the rest is largely settlement building, which I do a little of, but isn't the most super-enthralling part of the game.

Nuka-Land is worth playing through anyway, and you can turn on all the raiders whenever you want to (there's significant quest content not associated with them). The other DLC with meaningful quest stuff is Automatron, which has a fun little war going on, but also makes random encounters out in the wasteland much more deadly on average.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

The show is very good and makes me want to replay some of the games. Some turbonerds online are big mad because they think it contradicts canon or erases New Vegas but they're morons.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Moon Slayer posted:

The show is very good and makes me want to replay some of the games. Some turbonerds online are big mad because they think it contradicts canon or erases New Vegas but they're morons.

the thing they're mad about erasing New Vegas is a timeline error that's been acknowledged by the staff but it's already ballooned into "Todd Howard wants to destroy New Vegas because it's better than his games" which sounds like a very generous assumption of how often Todd Howard thinks about New Vegas

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

the thing they're mad about erasing New Vegas is a timeline error that's been acknowledged by the staff but it's already ballooned into "Todd Howard wants to destroy New Vegas because it's better than his games" which sounds like a very generous assumption of how often Todd Howard thinks about New Vegas

At least this one makes slightly more sense than "Todd Howard hates Morrowind, a superior game by Project Lead Todd Howard."

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The thing about whatever it is they did to New Vegas is that if Todd/Bethesda really did hate it, it wouldn't have come up at all.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Nuka-World is still a good buy even if you do not want to go full raider. The setting is good and you get plenty of new toys to play with. The Handmade Rifle (The "Kalashnikov" looking assault rifle) became my go to weapon once I got it.

If you do not want to go full raider, I played a very light side/paragon type, you have a couple of options. You can go through most of NW's main story and all of the side quests without having to attack areas/people in the main game. All of the quests are just the usual busywork for each of the three raider factions. Eventually you will have to pick a faction and start raiding settlements. At that point you can start the quest Open Season which has a simple objective: Kill EVERY raider in Nuke-World (80+) and thus free the slaves. Rip and tear until it is done.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

gradenko_2000 posted:

The thing about whatever it is they did to New Vegas is that if Todd/Bethesda really did hate it, it wouldn't have come up at all.

they are basically star wars nerds who think they got a poli sci degree by repeatedly playing the game.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The only thing worse than being hated by Bethesda is being admired by Bethesda.

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Stranger in a Strange Land

drat Dirty Ape posted:

The special flamer “Holy Fire” you can get from the Beast of Burden” event is incredibly powerful and a fantastic way to start a heavy power armor build. It does a ton of damage and the default one has vampiric so it heals you. Final Word is a quest HMG that is quite good too. Cremator is cool but uses a shitload of ammo. With Holy Fire I gain about 2000 fuel every time I do an expedition so ammo isn’t an issue.

Ohhh, that's good to know!! I've wanted to try out a flamer build, and this seems like my in. Thanks for the hot tip!

In other 76 news, the show seems to be having an effect, because I saw SO MANY new characters under level 5 last night. I ran into a brand new level 2 just out of the vault while tinkering with my camp and gave him a bottle of whiskey and a slice of perfectly preserved pie as a "Welcome to Virginia, You're Going to Die" present. Or at least, that was what I was trying to convey to him with a complex series of gestures, because this game somehow still has no text chat interface.

Then I leaped over a building with my grotesquely mutated legs and ran into the tree line, never to be seen again.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

The show is great and it's been getting praise in TV IV. The biggest complaints were people really didn't like Shady Sands being re-nuked and some ret-conning with Vault-Tec having more culpability in starting the Great War. The lead storywriter (Graham Wagner) said he played through all of the Fallout games, in order, before writing the series, and I didn't notice anything really glaring that stuck out as wrong or bad. Even though its mostly Fallout 4's aesthetic, there are bits and pieces of the other Fallouts in the game. Personally, I'm fine with all the changes and enjoyed it. Also, the protagonist is ridiculously horny.

My favourite episode was the last one, specifically because of a choice cameo and location:

Entorwellian fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Apr 12, 2024

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I loved the series, the Vault 4 episode was incredible :allears:
e: Big non-specific praise: all the sub-plots are well done and interesting, there isn't any part of the runtime that feels wasted or like filler. Great performances across the board, a very solid 9 out of 10.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/ManyATrueNerd/status/1778729032424575014?t=eCEO3e7vAzkXl3mXR5oflQ&s=19

Lol that's some unfortunate timing.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
It would likely be prudent for that team to delay their release

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
the next gen update was announced in 22.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity
Watched episode 1 with my wife (because I made her) and even she reluctantly said it was good.

Installed FO4 on PS5 in anticipation of the 60fps patch in a week or two. I only ever played FO76 for a couple of months last year, so I'm interested in trying any of the single player versions. But I'm still pretty heavy into Dragon's Dogma 2 and Helldivers 2 so hope I get started with it somewhere the coming period.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Tankbuster posted:

the next gen update was announced in 22.

Them releasing an update to time with the tv show release makes sense, like it makes sense to release the big mod in the same window.

They'll figure it out, I'm sure.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/Dezinuh/status/1779178683841790068?t=Hd80yEDe7tY7L_wjvUIw4w&s=19

Everyone's favourite "Hate Newspapers" jarhead participated in purging dissidents from occupied Canada.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Powerful JK Rowling energy

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
And this is why I always go with Nora

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
And because Courtney Taylor. Love her voice.

I also like Brian Delaney's voice acting. He's so goofy as Nate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hec2pgiq6_o

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Arc Hammer posted:

https://twitter.com/Dezinuh/status/1779178683841790068?t=Hd80yEDe7tY7L_wjvUIw4w&s=19

Everyone's favourite "Hate Newspapers" jarhead participated in purging dissidents from occupied Canada.

its a shitpost. Don't you see the meme circle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
With Emil you can never be certain.