Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
Fallout 76:

I recently started playing this again for the first time in a long time and I'm enjoying it way more than before. I just have a few questions:

I usually like single shot rifles in Fallout/other games but 76 has far too many ambushes from groups of things that swarm you so I'm wanting to switch to auto rifles as suggested by a lot of people but apparently they are pretty poo poo until later in the game? I'm lvl 18 at the moment and the ones I've tried have been pretty underwhelming. Is there any particular time I should switch from single shot rifle to auto? And what would be a good easy to acquire entry level auto rifle to start with?

Second question: I'm thinking of spending atoms on a second CAMP slot. If I do, how does moving multiple camps work? Is it some poo poo system where you always move the most recently placed CAMP or can you choose which one to move?

Third question: Any suggestions on the best things to buy with atoms? Things with actual utility, I mean. And any must-have SPECIAL cards?

Thanks in advance to anyone who read all this, let alone answers it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Well I'm never creating a new character again.

(Just did Rose's quests.)

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

What the gently caress is with the enemy levels in FO76... They don't seem to mean anything or are completely counterintuitive.

Why do I get my rear end handed to me by one thing that is within 2 levels of me, yet I completely annihilate something else that's 20 levels above me?

It just leaves me confused and never knowing whether engaging something will result in victory or defeat.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

I have a Fallout 76 tip, but I'm only level 38 so if any vets want to step on it, go ahead. I should mention that I have been playing exclusively solo without a group, so this might change if you like to team up.

I found that doing a bunch of main story quests straight out of the gate kind of sucked. They were very tutorial-y when I already knew Fallout games pretty well but the big problem is that a lot of the early quests seemed like they were a terrible use of my time in terms of XP/progress when I really just wanted to ge a few perks early to make life easier. (Especially Rose, just skip that poo poo for a while if you want to level. Trust me.)

I found that just running around to different POIs and killing poo poo was more fun and a lot more rewarding with XP, and also allowed me to stock up on mats. Once I had leveled a bunch, I also had a bunch of caps as well as map markers to fast travel to. This made questing MUCH more enjoyable, since I didn't have to spend 10-20 minutes running to quest markers and back just to kill one or two things or grab a macguffin. This also meant that quests became an effective XP/hour activity.

So TLDR: Run around exploring first, switch to quests after leveling a bit and filling out the map/POIs.

Bonus tip: Corn soup is amazing. You just need corn and boiled water and it takes care of hunger AND thirst. Grow corn and keep a stockpile of boiled water and you can keep the bonuses up forever. I've been leveling with the END perk that removes rads from food/drink as well. Bind it to a hotkey and mash it a few times every 20 minutes and you're golden.

Edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTMyOnNlE4o

33:00 vs 3:00

Mr Scumbag fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Apr 28, 2024

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Wow, the dailies in F76 are really loving bad... If this is what a good chunk of the endgame consists of, I may not go much further.

I've already had two bug out on me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

The Slack Lagoon posted:

there is no way I would be able to put my base back down if swapping camps stored everything and had to be re-placed.

Don't worry, since this is a Bethesda game, it may just save you the trouble by not storing any of your buildings in storage or blueprints when you move it, like what happened to me today. Now I don't have to rebuild anything cause it's all gone!