Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

dont be mean to me posted:

Bases are fine.

Twenty-something bases is a bit over.

Still got a soft spot for Oberland Station, though, and I honestly have no idea why.

The rail line and signal box provide an interesting start point to build around without taking up too much space. Can't really think of another place that pulled it off that well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Megazver posted:

I mostly object to the opportunity cost of implementing all this poo poo. It really wasn't all that entertaining, once the novelty wore off and I am willing to bet the story content suffered from resources being pulled away from it and into this.

Cool, I'll take that bet. I'm willing to bet the story content suffered because the length of the voice pipeline and the overhaul to the character progression system meant they had to finalize the script before they knew what was possible in the game.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Helith posted:

I'm sad I can't romance Deacon. The other guys are boring.

Also I've abandoned actual gameplay to build Vault 88. It's taken a huge amount of time because there are zero explanations of how building actually works and I have to google so drat much.
Plus gently caress getting attacked by raiders while building, they left blood and dead bodies all over my nice clean atrium floor :argh:
It's been a while since I've built a vault, but I don't remember it being that confusing, except maybe for some stuff in the atrium. What problems are you running into?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Helith posted:

I'm pretty much sorted now, but figuring out how the atrium pieces worked and getting the roof pieces snapping together was time consuming as the first intro to vault building.
Next was figuring out how to get electricity working (who knew that it magically flowed through the walls and you just needed the special vault transmitter thing on the wall to enable that room)
Then connecting the water pump to the vault generator. It took a while to work out how to get power from an exterior vault wall to connect to the wires I'd run down the train tunnel (basically snap some atrium walls to the exterior to make a sort of porch as the vault transmitters don't work on exterior walls but will work on atrium walls that aren't totally enclosed as a room)
Then just little things like rooms needing to started from the door piece first and built out from there otherwise the pieces don't snap together and that stairs don't stack on top of each other.

To be fair I'm new to the game and this is my first build in it as I'd largely ignored settlements beyond the basics, but yeah there's very little explanation of the mechanics of it though it's easy enough when you've figured out the rules and how it works.

Mmm. Yeah, the real thing that'll trip you up there is that for some inexplicable reason the cave floor isn't even. If you start building out in the cave, even if you get the distance right, you might end up very slightly off on the Z-axis since the rooms themselves will hug the ground if they get the chance. Snapbuilding outward just fit my style better, I guess.

You can pick up something and all its nearby bits by holding down the A button when you grab it, but when you're working with a vault where the entire thing's made out of the Lego of your choice, that doesn't really work out too well in practice.

The Skeleton King posted:

The leveling system in 4 is horrible. In fact, I would say 4 is actually a very weak entry in the fallout series, even compared to 3. I don't like how lazy Bethesda was with the perk system, writing, settlement building, UIs, and other stuff. I feel like 3 was a much better attempt on their part. I would definitely rather they bring in obsidian again to make any future titles. Bethesda is far better at publishing games than they are at making them.

Overall, the better shooting is the only compliment I can really give Fallout 4. I enjoy the game with the 88 mods I currently have installed, but I would never want to play it without the mods.

As an advancement system for a game where you play exactly one character, Fallout 4's alright. Nobody ever made meaningful choices on where to put exactly one skill point anyway - it was all in blocks of 5 or 10 or 25 at a time. I could see a couple enhancements to it, like having to alternate between perks that put your damage/hack level/crit bonus up and perks that gave you some neat effect, or a derived attribute system where your stat points and perk choices would combine into ratings that could interact with dialogue New Vegas-style.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

chitoryu12 posted:

I was really hyped for the gun customization, but it ended up surprisingly hard to do. You can't just remove parts from guns to create your ideal frankengun without the necessary perks and resources to craft a standard version of that part to replace it with, so unless you really prioritize leveling into that you're not going to do a lot of gun modding for much of the game.

One of the first things I downloaded was a mod that lets you craft the standard version of any part for free, so you can pull interesting parts off of the guns you loot and create something wicked from the results. Unfortunately the rest of the game just isn't enough to keep me going.

You don't need perks to craft the standard item in any gun slot.

...well, maybe you did. I don't know if they patched that or not, but in the base game as it currently stands, there's a perk-free craft for every weapon slot. It does still need materials, though, but those aren't usually rare or in huge numbers for the base item.

Yes, that probably means that if you see a gun with a part you want, you have to hope you've just scrounged enough scrap for the basic version and a wild workbench has appeared, or cart the whole thing back to wherever you have a base set up. That's why I install Salvage Beacons.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

chitoryu12 posted:

You're correct, you don't need perks. However, you do often need specific small parts like springs that you can't get from breaking down items unless you get the requisite perks. Without them, you're stuck getting 1 or 2 Steel for breaking down an entire gun and still effectively unable to craft the standard parts.

The mod I got makes those standard parts free (if you want a greater challenge, it makes the shortest barrels free and standard-length barrels still require crafting) so you can effectively pull pieces off the guns you find and get to building guns immediately.

Yeah, Scrapper's got a very misleading description and picture. What it notes, even the rank 3 bonus you get from DLC, don't apply to the normal junk items, which scrap into the same subcomponents no matter what. They only apply to reclaiming advanced materials from mods when you scrap a gun or piece of armor with mods attached.

And it's a good thing too, you need crystal to build radio beacons but you can't reclaim it until rank 2.

If you want to find items with a particular component in, like springs, you can go to the junk tab in your Pip-Boy, change it to "component view", and then tag particular component types for search. Their name will show up with a magnifying glass after it, even in vendors.

Scrapper 2 will highlight all containers in the world which have a tagged component in them, but you don't need perks at all to tag components.

Springs are present in most intact pre-war mechanisms, like alarm clocks, cameras, toasters, typewriters, all lockets and flip lighters, and Giddyups Buttercup, in whole or in part.

I really like Fallout 4's scrap crafting system. There are a couple things that actually do need specific items, but the bulk of the game uses subcomponents and as a result strikes a good balance between variety of lootable items, relative rarity of recipe ingredients, and the ability to regularly make actual crafts instead of getting stymied because you need short wood planks but only have regular wood planks, and need small screws but only have small bolts and medium screws.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The workshop DLC is completely useless except for the ammunition factory.

The fusion reactor, powered soil water pump, and decontamination arch are also useful to have. The various traps are at least simple to set up and use.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Psychotic Weasel posted:

This... is the most amazing thing I've ever heard. Now I feel bad for sticking Preston in the time-out corner for all these years.

Yeah, his reaction to finding the lost treasures of Jamaica Plain is just to bust out laughing at how absurd the whole affair turned out. It's a weird moment when you're used to him being the ten-cent version of Yes Man.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Yandat posted:

it's still just perceptively janky as hell, the feel is all off. maybe it's because i'm playing it on a PC?

Something fun that can sometimes happen is that you go into third-person but the camera isn't positioned to pop free so it ends up sticking out your ear and you play at 60 degrees to first person. Try switching out and back.

You could shift also the FOV back a little, it's tuned to be six-feet-from-the-TV relatable by default? I think the INI setting is in an old thread OP.

Found it in the modding OP, drop this in your Fallout4Custom.ini:

[Display]
fDefaultWorldFOV=90
fDefault1stPersonFOV=90

Glazius fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Feb 8, 2018

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Zeniel posted:

Also while we're on the subject of factions, why are all the factions some morally grey in their own special ways except of the minute men? Who all just seem to be bastions of goodness? Is it because Bethesda just have a hard-on for historical figures and ignore the whole repeating the mistakes of the past vibe of the whole fallout vibe?

The Minutemen weren't all angels. That's why at the start of the game there's exactly one guy still wearing the uniform and his ex-Atom Cat sidekick to even keep the name alive. The people who come back afterward are all relatively true believers.

None of the factions really change that much, so the Minutemen don't go beyond that. If they took time out to further develop this optional path about the many ways another settlement needs your help, they could put time into scenarios where you needed to deal with how the Minutemen were treating people or with some of the Libertalia crew or Gunner turncoats wanting another chance.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Fintilgin posted:

It's weird, because even New Vegas did this, where people in the Mojave were still living in trash filled quasi-ruins, and had yet to master broom technology. Which is weird, because even in Fallout 1 there were a bunch of settlements of what was pretty clearly post-war adobe construction that looked clean and livable. Vault City had a pretty slick post-war construction setup too, and was set like 40 years before New Vegas. Odd that this aesthetic was totally dropped for New Vegas. Was there any post-war construction in the game that wasn't rusty corrugated metal huts?

I wonder if this was an art direction flop, lack of resources to make a whole new tile set, or sort of on purpose with the 'ruins of the old world' theme?

Well, there's Covenant. I'm pretty sure some heavy post-war refurbishing went on there. They do just throw all their trash over the wall, but I mean where else do you put it?

(Whoop, thought this was a combined NV/4 question. Letting it stand anyway.)

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Neurolimal posted:

I understand that Bethesda was trying to write every faction as a moral grey that's well-meaning, but the way they went about doing so feels like they finished the faction as Good Guys, then carved out sensible parts of the faction and swapped in 'evil' parts.

Well, the Brotherhood are basically Lyons' faction that got soft-couped by the Outcasts, the Institute condone slavery institutionally, pardon the pun, and the Railroad don't particularly care about what happens to the Commonwealth as long as they can keep the synths going to freedom.

Those don't seem hugely incompatible, internally, even though they can all present a friendly face to start with.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

dont be mean to me posted:

You're right, in that the Institute's issues are political. The ball with the Institute got dropped because Bethesda puts the Sole Survivor in a unique position to enact radical policy change within the Institute and then simply provides no way for the player to do that.

But you're wrong, in that the Brotherhood's issues are ideological, and still as hidebound and backwards as they were in Fallout: New Vegas - so long as they don't recognize that absent resorting to an Enclave-like subjugation and/or extermination of anyone outside their organization, they're simply going to stagnate and be left behind or destroyed by the post-Great-War world. And that subjugation is exactly what the East Coast Brotherhood has done in the Capital and now intends to do in the Commonwealth.

Yeah, ever since Fallout 2 the Brotherhood have been kind of doomed. The Enclave was proof enough that there's tech out there beyond their ability to contain, and if they don't realize that now is the time to get themselves and their technology out there to people, someone else is going to. Of course that just turns them into the Followers of the Apocalypse, but I don't think those guys have gone east yet. I'm pretty sure that subjugation and control was also the Outcast viewpoint, which is what I meant by that?

Anyway, there's a lot of potential for you to steer, like, every faction in a more favorable direction but I imagine that was all a casualty of the voice pipeline - what you voice you kind of commit to, you commit to where your game is, and they were seriously overhauling this thing. So like:

- Minutemen: Raiders instead, alive, or Commonwealth Provisional Government v2.0
- Brotherhood: dead, alive, or what-a-tragedy-Maxson-slipped-on-his-own-laser-gatling-but-it-turns-out-Danse-was-just-fine
- Railroad: dead, alive, or totally-alive-and-not-replaced-by-Institute-synths
- Institute: dead, alive, or what-a-tragedy-Synth-Retention-slipped-on-their-own-plasma-grenades-let's-all-come-clean

And some fuckin' ending slides for all our companions with enough companion content to make them all matter.

But based on what they've said about development Bethesda just didn't have that kind of top-down story focus, which is why I bought that game because of what I liked about the gameplay I saw, and just enjoy the bits of coherent story that somehow survived the process.

Like how pretty much nobody in the bitty settlements resents the Minutemen because what they were trying to do seemed impossible, nobody in Diamond City or Goodneighbor resents the Minutemen because they didn't need them to begin with, but Kessler at Bunker Hill has no particular love for the Minutemen because Bunker Hill needed the Minutemen and has expensively made do without in the meantime.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

2house2fly posted:

Its weird to me that this game that's thick with references to Fallout 3, and even goes on to reference the original games via Kellogg, doesn't include any mention of the pre-war consumables and magazines introduced in New Vegas, and in some cases introduces some new drug or something that does exactly the same thing as an NV item. It really makes me think none of the developers played New Vegas, or are somehow convinced nobody liked it and would prefer to pretend it never happened

How much of New Vegas does Bethesda legitimately own for use in future games? Like, any/all of it? I don't know, I'm curious.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Katt posted:

I'm disappointed that the minigun is still garbage now that we're into the third new Fallout game. I had a a dust devil require 500 rounds to die and I practically held him down and fed him the barrels to do it.

Rust devils don't have upgrading titles with levels, and I imagine you didn't take awareness to get their level out of VATS, but especially at higher levels they also wear increasingly good Robot Armor, which is basically Metal Armor+ when it comes to resisting physical damage. If you had an unmodded minigun with no heavy weapon +damage perks, I'm not surprised you only managed chip damage.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Katt posted:

The machine on the left is a recycler. It turns scrap into their basic components. So a wrench will be broken down into gears and steel and so not be used as steel when building.

I see this sentiment in a lot of places, that somehow you lose the components you don't immediately use when something auto-scraps for construction. It's not true. The components go in the related workbench.

So if you go to Diamond City and buy a bunch of scrap to do gun mods with, all the leftovers are in the weapons workbench you were using.

Which, true, isn't connected to anything and resets along with the cell, so if you don't pull them out they're gone, which I think is where the idea comes from in the first place.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Vakal posted:

That's why I miss the grenade machinegun in FO4.

...it's called the Spray and Pray, you can buy it from Cricket? If you can't build caravan stops yet I've seen her at Vault 81, Bunker Hill, and the Warwicks.

I mean, yeah, it's just a submachine gun with exploding bullets but they get you normal explosives buffs so that's not that bad, considering.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Gort posted:

Playing with the Minutemen it feels like you ought to be rebuilding the wasteland. It would've been nice if you could rebuild to something less utterly lovely looking - I liked it when Sturges was hammering beige tiles all over the outside of the houses in Sanctuary. It made me think that that was just the first stage in him rebuilding the town but no, that's all he was ever going to do.

The settlers doing anything on their own - even just scrapping the various ruins within the settlement zone - would have been nice. Would be cool to see the progression from "survivors of the apocalypse" to "thriving tribe of the apocalypse" with brahmin convoys coming and going, and tents and huts and cave painting and stuff.

I may have good news for you.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Gort posted:

That mod looks like exactly what I'm looking for. I wonder if it works with Fallout 4 VR.

I don't VR myself, but as best I remember, there were some issues with plaque display that have been addressed?

Best to check the mod site itself though.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Katt posted:

I will never be able to trust these little bastards.

https://i.imgur.com/OZhEAUJ.mp4

Is that a mod where you get a predictor arc with your gun out? Usually I put the gun away and the arc is over my right shoulder.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Katt posted:

No it's just how it always worked for me. I switched to the pistol because the SMG blocks the view.

...yeah, mea culpa. It's apparently how it always worked for me too? Or else they patched it? I guess all this time I've just... imagined myself hucking grenades like I saw everybody else doing it.

The predictor arc has been good for me on getting regular ol' grenades through windows and over barricades and such, and helping judge the impact of molotovs, and in one rare case helping me line up a grenade airburst on some raider snipers ten stories up that I had no clue how to reach. But I do remember it being a bit face-full-of-fire misjudgey about how an oblong grenade would spin, like the molotov or - is that a nuka grenade you're lobbing out there? And even with that point of impact I can't do grenade bank shots to save my life.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Katt posted:

"Ma'am I have some components for you"

Ada drops bags of concrete into my inventory :v:

Concrete is an excellent floor component. Also wall component, if you have that DLC and want walls at thicknesses other than "wafer-thin".

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Azhais posted:

I'll be honest, it's because a) they have literally no plan for anything in the commonwealth besides ":byodame: WE GOTTA SAVE SYNTHS" and b) it's two goddamn load screens and long hikes to talk to them so they can go to hell

Playing Survival? The Railroad HQ fast travel point dumps you right inside the door from the catacombs.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

AwkwardKnob posted:

Hahaha gently caress, I wish man. The funny thing is I did all of these forever ago before all of the DLC had been released. Now a lot of stuff I used mods for is basically just included. If I was doing these on PC I could probably make some utter madness. I'm too afraid to install on PC and start over though, I'd never stop.

So I probably shouldn't mention the script extender mod that lets you export a PC settlement to JSON. Or that it interacts with Sim Settlements to create city plan files as mini mods anyone can install, even without script extenders, to have settlers build out the plan as the settlement grows.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Berke Negri posted:

fallout 4 was pretty great at rewiring my brain to not give a poo poo when I come across the 300th gun in a dungeon because I already got those but I open that one cabinet of elmers wonderglue or stumbled across a abandoned factory for aluminum tv dinner trays and my heart skips a beat

For me it was finding the skeletons at the end of Vault 81 and realizing that my first reaction was "finally, now I can make some oil and get that generator going".

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

CellarDweller posted:

If a guy was thinking about giving fallout 4 another chance what mods should he use?

DEF_UI and Full Dialogue Interface are pretty necessary if you want things like "a trade window that uses the whole screen" and "seeing the thing you will actually say".

Everything else is to taste, so:

I like Armorsmith Extended for letting you wear more things on top of more different things, but there are other mods that do the same.

I also like the Power Armor Storage System and Power Armor Airdrop so I can explore in regular gear and when I run into some nasty customers, I can fire off a flaregun to have Sturges cram my power armor into a giant cannon and fire it across the map, with an attached minigun and missile launcher.

Salvage Beacons is an interesting compromise between modav carryweight
9999 and continually frustrated packrat instincts that lets you dump everything into any container in the world and queue it for pickup by your settlement network.

Faded Glory is some sweet tunes but only if you turn off the radio.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

chitoryu12 posted:

All right, I've started a new run of Fallout 4 with Horizon and some additional mods (like Sleep Or Save and the smokable cigarettes one that lets you save in Survival by smoking). It's definitely made for a much slower, more difficult game. I'm on the third in-game day and only now leaving for Diamond City, and I've already spent most of my caps on one pack of Rad-Away because I had spent most of the game full of rads by the time I reached Drumlin Diner. Live Dismemberment with realistic headshot damage has made it a tad easier, but I still spend most of my time with pretty low health.

My only criticism is that in the early game it's incredibly hard to regenerate health because there's no doctors nearby and you need to go searching for antiseptic and other materials to create bandages (which can't be used in combat). There's absolutely no health regeneration from anything but doctors and medical items, so if you end up with 10 HP left you're stuck being a one-hit wonder as you search around the Sanctuary area for enough supplies to craft bandages.

Does Horizon take out the ghoul doctor lady on the northwest side of the map, north from I think the ration stockpile? She sleeps above a giant irradiated crater but comes out in the daytime.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

chitoryu12 posted:

I had no idea she existed. Granted, I've always found it hard to stick with Fallout 4 and I've never gotten farther in the main story by myself than meeting Virgil. I was hoping that the added complexity of Horizon and Survival mode would bring something fresh to keep me going.

Well hey, now you have somebody new to hunt down!

She's the only free-range doctor I've found, and I had to force myself to explore: look around, follow or don't follow roads depending on a whim, go poke anything that looks weird. Not really a winning strategy in Survival Plus Ultra, but there are a surprising number of unheralded doors and penny-ante scrap traders out there.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

HFCS posted:

Now that I think about it, I suppose one could theoretically go kill Kellogg before any of this and spawn the Prydwen, and maybe that's why this fancy dialog is all there? I've never just gunned it that way before so I don't even know if that's a thing.

IIRC, Kellogg's behind a plot lock that only opens after you save Nick and track him from Diamond City.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Berke Negri posted:

sanctuary is absolute hell on my fps though i wonder just what kind of rig these city plans were designed on to think this was fine

An extremely beefy one. You can turn down some of the detail options and it will work okay.

Also with the latest simset you can freely go in and change out plot types in-place, though you'll lose the free city power from city plans.

You can even set advanced industrials to upgrade and stay at anything on your tech tree without your intervention, for if you want to set up multiple breweries and have tons of different beer potions going at once, or, y'know, ultrapure water or mininukes or HATE NEWSPAPERS or whatever.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Pyrolocutus posted:

I'm thinking about reinstalling FO4 and starting a new game after having slowly petered out a couple of years ago right around the main quest stage where you commit to a faction. Are there any recommended QOL mods that improve without drastically altering the game?

DEF_UI and Valdacil's Item Sorting make the inventory much friendlier, skjalert will give you a popup when settlements get raided, Power Armor Airdrop lets you call it in without fast travel, Power Armor Storage lets it show up with a minigun and a missile launcher strapped on, Salvage Beacons let you drop your loot in a random container for settler pickup, Arbitration's combat mod has made that facet a little more interesting, Better Artillery Signal Flares will give them a contact fuse instead of a timer so you can throw them as far as you can.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Berke Negri posted:

yeah ill try fiddling with settings. I think its also the double whammy of just being in range to load in red rocket because that's the only area of the game where my fps suddenly drops below 60

one nice thing is sanctuary seems to be the only settlement that's actually upgrading on its own (L2 with about 80% scrap collected on its own) but with the default city plan it looks like even with 24 settlers I have...one? shop for the entire settlement and i lost the armor workbench upgrading from L1 to L2

it looks really nice as its nearing fully upgraded but there just doesnt seem to be a ton to do with it

Huh, that's odd. There should be two 1x2 internal shops across the street from your old house, in the front yard of the yellow house just right of the door, and then three 2x2 shop plots built on top of your old house in varying degrees of recessed and a 1x2 internal shop in the same general area.

There's also a street armor stall, a bar in the yellow house (since it says "bar" outside and all) and a general store in your old front yard - these aren't work plots, but just structures that work like the vendor stalls you'd build ordinarily.

I'll see what I can do to get some shots. I kind of overbuilt work plots so none of my stalls are staffed but everything else should still be there.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Glazius posted:

I'll see what I can do to get some shots.

Right!

Internal shop 1: just outside the yellow house, will feature a blue-colored fuse box. This is a med center.

Internal shop 2: Next to that one. This is a clothing shop.

External shop 1: Misremembered this one. It's actually around the corner from those two internal shops. Walk between the rec plot and the guard post. This is a general store.

External shop 2: On top your old house. This is a food stand.

External shop 3: Right next to it, on top I think your garage? This is an armor store.

Internal shop 3: Right under ext. shop 3. This is a weapon store.

Stand 1: a general store, under ext. shop 2.

Stand 2: an armor stand, right next to int. shop 3.

Stand 3: the bar, inside the yellow house.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

CobiWann posted:

So, the Gunners...descendants of the brainwashed soldier kids from Vault 75?

Implied but never proven, I think? It makes some sense and explains how the Gunners got into 95, but if they really were, they'd probably still be using the computers there for stuff. I can see them wanting to make a legitimate break from the place, but again, no proof of that either.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

The Zombie Guy posted:

Couple of questions:

- I've given a few settlers better weapons & some ammo, and made them equip it. Will I have to keep restocking them with more ammo after battles, or are they good once it's equipped?

- I know I'm not very far in yet, but the drive in seems like a really good base spot. I've gotten a quest to liberate the old Minuteman headquarters, which is apparently an old castle? It sounds like it could be a cool spot to make my main base as well. Any opinions, or other sites/quests I should wait for before investing all my wood/metal supplies?

- Any perks which are broken (in a bad way) or useless / worth avoiding? I know in FO3 and NV, some of the perks affecting critical chances, damage increases, etc, were sometimes bugged, and didn't work the way they were described. Just wanted to know before I dump levels into something that won't work the way it should. I've so far bumped my SPECIAL up a few points, and taken Gun Nut, Science!, Armorer, and Locksmith.

Unless you gave your settlers grenades or missile launchers, they won't run out of bullets.

The old Minuteman base is not as centrally located as Starlight and has less free space to express yourself in, but as a result of taking it back, some important things unlock for all your settlements, so it's worth doing if you can survive the trip.

As far as perks go, since you're going heavy into crafting you probably don't need to bother with the passive resistance perks. Also don't mark out at the bonus damage from Nuclear Physicist, it's quite uncommon and only really applies to humans. Local Leader 1 and 2 are pretty big for you, since 2 will let you make stores and crafting benches anywhere.

Unless you're playing pure FPS/TPS, Critical Banker is kind of a big deal. Just having multiple crits ready to fire is a huge and useful panic button.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

GWBBQ posted:

Feels silly using abbreviations to avoid spoiling a game that's been out for so long, but I still don't want to ruin it for a new player. You don't have to use The Castle as a main base, but make sure to come back and take the mission given to you by the old-timer Minuteman soldier R.S. so you can unlock its full potential and the very tactically useful things that the O.G. mission unlocks. You'll know what those initials stand for when you get to them. Bring some explosives or pulse grenades on O.G. for best results.

If you're tuned into Another Settlement Needs Your Help Radio, it will break in kind of amusingly to announce that O.G. is ready. I wish they'd done more with that.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I just started FO4 and I have no idea how all this scavenging is supposed to work, do I just pick up literally everything and then store it all forever or what

also why are some clothes items not visible to break down at an armor workshop, like crappy clothing that I figured would give me one cloth

Here's how scavving works.

Many items are made of components. If they are, they can be scrapped in workshop mode and their components will be placed in the workshop. Many of these items are classed as "junk", and they exist only to be broken down into their components.

When you're trying to build something, the system will display the total amount of each component available to you, including components in junk items. When you do build something, it will look for raw components in the workshop inventory and then in your inventory. If it can't find any it will then look for junk in the workshop inventory and then your inventory, scrapping it as necessary to fill up components. Craft benches will confirm the things you're breaking down, but BUILD MODE WILL NOT, so if you're building a giant collection of pre-war money so you can swim in it or something, you'll want to build a separate container to keep it in.

Any excess components from breakdowns are stored in the workshop inventory. NOTE: This means if you use any workbench "in the wild", outside a settlement, you should check its inventory with TRANSFER to pick up leftovers.

You DO NOT NEED Scrapper to work with junk, at all. You can still extract uncommon and rare components from junk and even search for junk without any ranks in Scrapper. To search for components you can switch your Pip-Boy into component view on the junk tab and tag any components for search, which will make them, and junk that contains them, show up in the UI with a magnifying glass after the name. You can also hit "tag for search" when you're crafting something to add any components you're missing. The only thing Scrapper rank 2 does is add a UI highlight with your Pip-Boy color to actual physics-having junk objects and containers that hold them if they would have a magnifying glass, which is still quite useful.

Weapons and Armor are not considered Junk and do not automatically break down, but when they're manually scrapped they will return some amount for the base item chassis and additional amounts for every mod. Scrapper applies to the junk returned from mods - base chassis don't have uncommon or rare components in them.

If and when you get Local Leader and run supply lines between settlements, you are considered to have access to all elements in the inventory network for purposes of building, crafting, attaching mods, and filling your settlers' food and water shortfalls with food and drink. You do not actually get one giant storage, so if you're saving grenades for later or something you have to remember where you put them.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Starting up a new playthrough and paying some attention to early-game weapons.

Submachine guns and hunting rifles got no reason to live.

Sub guns are basically using .45 rounds to do .38 auto damage from a pipe gun, hunting rifles are a small damage increase for about twice the carry weight of a bolt-action pipe gun. I don't trust bethesda enough to guess that there's something I'm missing.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

OwlFancier posted:

It literally does double damage.

It doesn't literally do double damage, it does +100% damage. If you've applied mods to increase the base gun's damage, they won't carry over to the second bullet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Azhais posted:

4, from the treasure

I remain very disappointed that there wasn't a deathclaw in that vault

You're supposed to be disappointed, kind of? That's how that story works. It's one of my favorite things to get companion reax on, that and the Natesicle/Norasicle.

I like the Broadsider, even though the projectile drop makes it an extremely VATS weapon.