Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

AlternateAccount posted:

Why has no one made a giant mod of FO1 or FO2 in FO4's engine?

Fallout 1 actually has shockingly little content when you examine it. There are only 13 actual locations in the game but between blindly wandering around the overworld and the incredibly slow combat (not a knock, just a fact) the gameplay takes much longer. In a Fallout 4 conversion you would either need to invent a lot of new wasteland content to fill it out or it would only take an hour to beat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Todd Howard has publicly said that he doesn't really like goofing around with game titles too much. This was back when people we're asking him if he was afraid of calling it "Fallout 3" would alienate people who hadn't played 1 or 2. So the fact that this specifically ISN'T Fallout 5 indicates to me that it's going to be an experimental spinoff of some kind. We'll see exactly what that means soon enough though.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Also it hasn't been Gamebryo for almost a decade.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Anyway, was that flying thing the Jersey Devil or the Mothman? Discuss.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I don't think this will be for me, but that's not the same as it being for no one.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Rinkles posted:

Wait, this is actually based on the same Geoff interview. After how unwilling Todd was to say that true solo play would be possible, and how misleading his original presentation was, I wouldn't be so sure that that headline represents what he meant. Maybe it does. Who knows? Who knew this could be so complicated!?

It's really not. Certain people just seek out the worst possible interpretation for some reason. Just like I was told I was an idiot for ever thinking that Bethesda would put out a Creation Kit for Fallout 4.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
People really need to learn to separate "ruined" from "not exactly what I want". I'm probably gonna skip this one and that's fine. Not everything has to be for you.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I think the chronological order thing is only for games in the mainline series. Spinoffs like Redguard or 76 have more leeway.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Catalyst-proof posted:

I remember playing Fallout 2, and asking for a drink in some bar, and not getting it, and getting into a fight with the bartender, kicking him in the nuts and then shooting him in the head. And then the next day coming back and seeing a "We're closed" sign on the bar.

Remember worlds that could change in response to player's actions?

Remember when you had to fetch a locket to lay a spooky ghost to rest? You're looking at the old games with some serious selective bias.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Doorknob Slobber posted:

they will call these microtransactions the creative club or whatever the gently caress

The noclip documentary says the plan is cosmetics only. All items can that can be bought can be acquired in game as well.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Doorknob Slobber posted:

bethesda honest?

You know, when I've actually challenged people about this they can't actually find anywhere that Bethesda has actually lied about stuff.

It's always the people/the media misquoting them or stuff that was accurate at the time but had since changed or (my favorite) value judgements like "We think this is good!"

So let's play. Where do you think Bethesda has lied about something?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Also, Zenimax is a privately held company founded by Bethesda people, so it doesn't seem to have the same issues as most of the big triple A game companies. They seem to be content to trust Bethesda to do their own thing, and will most likely continue to as long as they keep making bank.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Jun 14, 2018

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I've been getting a little more interested after the various interviews and footage. Probably going to pick it up once private servers and mods come out.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Also, taking a level 10 perk right out of the gate can dramatically affect how the game plays.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
As far as level scaling goes, Bethesda seems pretty happy with their new hybrid scaling system. Areas have level ranges and will attempt to "best fit" zones to what level you are when you encounter it. Once encountered, the zone will stay at that level to prevent previously safe zones from suddenly having glass armored bandits show up. Here's a giant rear end map with the level ranges represented via heat map.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
The thing about Bethesda, is that no one even tries to do what they do because it is loving hard. Other big open world games will always pare down features to simplify things. The Witcher doesn't have to worry about what happens if you replace an NPC's equipment with pickpocket. Venom Snake is never going to try to punch Miller in the face during a cutscene.

Only in a Bethesda game would you be able to pick up a random basket (because we want players to be able to interact with everything), put it on top of an NPC's head (because we want there to be a high fidelity physics system), have that impair their vision (because NPCs have true line of sight checks) and then steal poo poo right in front of them (because the game has stealth, stealing and pickpocketing).

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

WebDO posted:

The :psyboom: of the inevitable plan by Bethesda to tax the modders that do the unofficial patch mod for them is amazing

People have been claiming that Bethesda was going to move to only paid mods for over a decade at this point.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

dogstile posted:

Wasn't this because they basically tried to do that and then walked it back very loving quickly when people weren't happy?

They can try and chip away at the barrier forever, but other game studios aren't doing it and have thriving modding scenes, whereas I imagine it's a little bit stale on the creation club. Hell I had a quick look through fallout 4's club and all I saw was some lovely recolours and some guns that any tosser could put together.

No. They've taken a few different swipes at getting paid mods off the ground, but they've never tried to take away or prevent free mods from being a thing.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Even the mutants on the west coast were mostly dumb.

quote:

==0173 - 0198==
The few wanderers that have found their way here have been a disappointment to me. They can't seem to mutate correctly. The best I've been able to create are some big and dumb mutants. Most can recall nothing from before I initiated them into the wondrous Unity. I only feed on them for fuel, now. Their minds are nothing to me.

==0199 - 0236==
Oh glorious creator!! I have succeeded in spreading the complete joy of unification to another soul! Unlike the others, his total radiation count was low. I believe this is the factor we have been overlooking all this time, as it seems the conversion is more successful in the cases with less radiation damage. I have never known such glory as I felt when taking his mind into our own.

It's just that most of the ones you interact with, with the exception of Harry, were the leaders who retained their intelligence. On the east coast the intelligent ones like Leo and Fawkes were outcasts.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Rinkles posted:

like not ugly or uncool, just a bit out of place in my humble fanboyish opinion

I kind of liked the way that their design was retro, just not AS retro. They're more advanced so they get to be 70s scifi instead of 50s.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
It's the writers grasping for anything that might make the choices even slightly less lopsided.

Uhh uhhh TAXES! PEOPLE DON'T LIKE TAXES!

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

hambeet posted:

what even was the reason for the glowing sea again? was it just lots of bombs? a big bomb?

how nukes work in fallout is so inconsistent.

They were trying to destroy the Stanley R. Mickelsen Safeguard Complex which made it into the game as The Sentinel Site.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

To me it seems like a waste of resources when it's the sort of game that has been done - probably better - by garage studios. The Fallout brand holds no value on its own since two of the past three games were p. much trash.

You guys are loving hilarious.

Well I mean yeah it sold 15 million copies, but me and my friends preferred a slightly different game therefor no one likes the Fallout brand anymore. I bet I could buy it off Betheda for :10bux: no problem.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

ymgve posted:

I thought you could pay for custom servers, though?

It's in a similar situation with all their games. The game comes out, they make sure it doesn't explode, THEN they polish up the mod tools/private servers stuff for general release. I don't think the tools have come out at the same time since Morrowind.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Again, people have been saying this was both imminent and inevitable for 2 decades at this point.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Back Hack posted:

And you believe him why? They’ve lied or stretched truth to the thinnest margin when comes to their game, I don’t see this one being any different.

Let's play this game again. Can you actually point to something that Bethesda has lied about?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

Because the way they redefine the genre is worse with each iteration. Each version is more polished, but with less emergent mechanics, less space for creativity, roleplaying etc. Morrowind -> Oblivion ->FO3 -> Skyrim -> FO4 is like a straight trajectory towards more polished, more streamlined, more shallow and more milquetoast experiences that take progressively fewer chances and are less and less inspired.Turning the next iteration into a loving online shooter is just the final symbolic step in this direction.

You're really going to go to bat for Oblivion being better than F3, Skyrim and F4? I mean I will defend it when people say that it killed their dog or something, but it was definitely the nadir of their mainline games. Systems wise, the only complexity came from a intuitive level up system you had to game to get good stats. Even if they dropped stats, the Skyrim perk system worked so much better at actually differentiating builds from one another compared to Oblivion.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

The argument isn't really even about the ingame setting, it's about maintaining the real world nationalist ideology. The game feeds into toxic American nationalism, despite its low-level critical narratives. Just as actual Cold War era American culture - which is claims to spoof - featured self-criticism.

Like, it's not a subversive work. It's just another troop worshipping mass produced piece with a message palpable for the masses.

What would an actual subversive version look like and how would it be different?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Ha ha ha you believe that DLC will be free.

I don't think bethesda have ever given anything away for free.

They've done free dlc in the past. They've got their old games up as free downloads on their site. They're developing a free to play game right now. The fact that you "don't think" they have is of very little importance.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Capn Beeb posted:

Minimal. If anything I'd expect it to be painted in AND AMERICA SHOWED THOSE PINKO COMMIES WHAT FOR without a hint of irony of criticism.

When has this ever been a thing in the Bethesda games? Do you think the police reports booking someone for sedition for possessing union pamphlets was an endorsement?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Let's play this game again.

When has Bethesda actually lied about something?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
What in that video was actually a lie? Be specific. Bethesda Lies has become some sort of dumb memetic truth but everything in that video was true, some ridiculous hairsplitting "YOU CAN'T "GO WHERE YOU WANT" BECAUSE THIS GAME DOESN'T HAVE LITERALLY INFINITE CONTENT!", or some weird personal (and strangely nerd bashey?) animus towards some dork.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Moridin920 posted:

lmao

"it's not gamebryo"

This is your opening argument? Your best foot forward? Ok dude.

Gamebryo is nowhere to be found in the credits of Skyrim or Fallout 4. I guess if you're convinced that Bethesda are inveterate liars you might argue that they are lying in the credits (to impress nerds?) and they they just renamed Gamebryo, but Gamebryo isn't something that THEY can rename. Gamebyro is owned by the Korean company Gamebase and has been since before Skyrims release. You really think that this company is just sitting on their hands when they could claim a huge chunk of what has to be near 50 million copies sold, in the name of trolling nerds on the internet? Just admit you don't know that much about engines.

Moridin920 posted:

“Fallout 3 has 200 endings”

They explained exactly how this would work. That the ending cutscene had multiple parts similar to previous Fallout games did, and that the different ending were minor tweaks of each other. He even explicitly gave an example where adding a new section with 4 variants would push the number from 50 to 200. If you just read a bad headline and extrapolated your own nonsense then that's on lovely journalism and on you.

Moridin920 posted:

"radiant AI, unscripted living in real time"

This isn't even a Bethesda statement. You seem to have sourced it from an angry 4chan video.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Zelder posted:

What is it that possesses people to carry water for a corporation that doesn't give a hot gently caress about them

How do we stop this

I find it weirder the way some people work up obsessive hate-ons for studios or individual members of the industry. From my point of view y'all are a few steps removed from the people threatening to kill a developer's pets .

Lambert posted:

Are we supposed to act like Skyrim actually does have a brand new engine? It's obviously still an updated Gamebryo.

Also, you don't know Bethesda's licensing agreement.

And yes, it's very likely this company is "sitting on their hands" considering they let most of their development team go, the last version of the engine was released back in 2012 and the last news on Gamebryo's website are from 2015. They're probably wringing as much licensing money out of it as they can without doing any more work.

How is it obvious? How could they get around not including it in the credits? Do you actually understand what Gamebryo is? I'll give you a hint. The fact that the SetRaceMenu command works in Morrowind as well as Skyrim does not mean that the command is part of Gamebryo.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Oct 6, 2018

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I am well aware that Bethesda has a reputation, but when you drill down it's all bullshit.

I don't understand what Gamebryo is or does but I'm going to call everything Bethesda has ever done in developing their open world games Gamebryo. Then when they finally ditch it for their own in house tech I'm going to call them liars for not abandoning everything that isn't Gamebryo based on a definition that's only in my head.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Lambert posted:

Yes, their own tech that suspiciously acts and looks like Gamebryo.

No, it act like their own tech, everything you would classify as Gamebryo jank was homebrewed Bethesda jank the whole time. Gamebryo is not really a complete engine the way Unreal is. That's why no Gamebryo game is really all that similar to any other. It's just a collection of useful chunks of code.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Lambert posted:

Todd Howard directly stated Skyrim would have a new engine, which isn't really true. I don't see how this interpretation improves the situation one bit.

See now were getting away from "They're just using Gamebryo" which was demonstrably untrue into "I don't think they made enough changes to call it a new engine" which is way more vague. New engines are built on old engines just like our thinky bits are built on a kill eat gently caress lizard brain. I mean the networking for 76 is going to be based on code from Quake.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

So what you're saying is that Bethesda will always be janky bug ridden messes regardless of what engine they use because they keep reusing their underlying framework which was broken from day one and has had little if any work done to fix the problems.

Yes. Although I would say that that's going to be the fate of any game with as many systems going at once as theirs does.

Moridin920 posted:

OK let me restate then: if 76 still has the same underlying code faults that Morrowind has it'll be funny and yet not unexpected.

Sure. And as long as it doesn't actually get in the way I'll probably find it funny too.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Oct 7, 2018

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

Even when your company has grown exponentially over the last twenty years? When bugs that were present in morrowind still crop up in Fallout 4? Are we just supposed to be resigned to the fact that Bethesda's quality assurance department is one man and a mop with sunglasses taped to its head?

Bethesda is actually still a relatively small game studio. There's a reason that their games come out maybe twice a decade.

But no, I was more referring to the fact that the more moving parts a game has, the more likely it is to break. Observe the Witcher 3, which a lot of goons hold as a gold standard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSYFNQtzc98

Where guards can't path around a horse parked in front of them. And this is with a much larger team and direct government assistance. Then imagine how much more jank you could add if Geralt could steal forks off a table during a cutscene.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Oct 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

They still use Gamebryo, my friend.

Also lol @ trying to paint The Witcher 3 as some behemoth when it budget was significantly lower than that of Skyrim.

Was it? As far I can find Skyrim was 85 million while Witcher 3 was 81 million, several million of that in art grants from the Polish government. The much lower cost of living in Poland enabling them to maintain a larger development staff.