Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Timeless Appeal posted:

There is a mutation in Fallout 3, but it was just an excuse to have regenerating health.

They've also said in interviews post E3 that radiation in 76 will cause mutations randomly and there should be a mechanic to lock those in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Berke Negri posted:

some of these perks do sound fun though

hello

HI DOCTOR PIP

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

HitTheTargets posted:

The Statue of Liberty...

Prime.

Deal

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

catlord posted:

Although I personally still dream of Fallout: Louisiana.

Mole Nutria, Crawfish Mirelurks, and normal gators.

And the Loup Garou.

E: actually the way I'd love to see this done is that Lousiana was never bombed but tons of radiation poured in down the river, so 200 years in the future the Brotherhood shows up in New Orleans in shock at how bad everything looks and the locals tell them to go gently caress themselves.

"Oh my God did they just nuke every road with tiny tactical nukes?"

"Those are potholes."

"Why are is there a parade of Super Mutants being cheered?"

"Oh the Saints just won the Super Bowl"

MJBuddy fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Sep 2, 2018

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

corn in the bible posted:

it's got a bunch of witcher 3 stuff in it; they even copied how roach works with the auto-navigation etc because it works well and vehicles in asscreed were always kind of awkward before

Yeah man, but that's a standard AC thing. They switched to arkham combat for a few years too, and they'll chase the next successful game's mechanics too (or mobile mission deployment, or a tower defense minigame).

Not that other games don't do it, but they'll drop it to move to the next thing just as fast as they pick it up, for better or worse.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Andrew W.K. needs to be in more Fallout games, or maybe just more games in general, guy's a great voice actor in addition to being a great musician.

He's been involved in Rage 2 a bit and is the voice of the special edition bonus.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Do y'all think Call of Duty is just Quake 3 still?

Or that Titanfall is Quake 1?

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

ZeusCannon posted:

Watching that MATN video actually has me pretty worried now. I was unaware of the whole no NPC thing and the idea of them all being "dead" but still a thing seems like a loving cop out for engine reasons. I don't know I guess we will see.

Also that the main story was added in later is a pretty major warning sign that maybe the people making this didn't pay attention to what people playing fallout we're looking for.

Here's hoping there are still those little vignettes that you find that tell a story of an area etc. Like the poisoned social club in fallout 4

One of the videos posted above have a light version of this with a haunted shack that seems to trigger as you investigate the notes left within.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Donovan Trip posted:

Yeah I'm still not sure how they made doom a boring mp game

Doom multiplayer was developed by Certain Affinity, a third party studio.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Tenzarin posted:

The only other container I could make was a stash which lets anyway look at their stash.

So this is in some of the workshops. There's resource extractors that run passively and store their product in a container that anyone can loot.

So in the end it's like building a farm. If you plant your Tatos and don't harvest, someone else can walk by and harvest your farm. If you build a resource extractor and don't harvest it, someone else can too. If you put a lock on it, you can restrict them, in the same way as fencing off your farm.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

sw0cb posted:

Not that I like cash shops but i got 600 atoms in 6-7 hours of play completing challenges and stuff, I dont think its that big of an issue? I guess if you wanted all the cosmetic things

There's also daily and weekly challenges that give Atom. During the test yesterday the dailies were just some things you'd naturally get while playing in a group and to use specific types of weapons and the weekly challenges were Halloween themed, like take photos in the graveyard

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

GI_Clutch posted:

There's also the fact that upgraded cards have an increased cost. You might have a rank 3 card, but maybe at some point you want to equip the rank 1 version so you can run some other rank 2 card along with it.

This. He's missing a point that you need to have every rank of every card to maximize flexibility in the long run, and locking out cards once you max one of them blocks that.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

The first 3 aren't totally scathing and are right about the issues they bring up, but ultimately boil down to it is a fun, but flawed game.

The last article is more scathing and the guy just doesnt seem to like what Bethesda is trying to do with this game.

Edit: The game is a blast with friends. It is fun solo. It is not fun running into rear end in a top hat randos.

The 2nd and 4th are the same guy.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Rinkles posted:

so many holotapes!

everyone corpse has a sob story

It's not all holotapes.

I found a lookout tower and at the top was a dead woman along with a tons of baby toys and blocks. At the base of the tower was an overturned stroller and a dirt mound with "MY ANGEL" written in wooden blocks and stuck into the mound.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

AlternateAccount posted:

It's hosed. Beyond repair.

https://np.reddit.com/r/fo76/comments/9u71m1/get_ready_for_endless_fun_on_pc/

Seriously, client trusting multiplayer game with plaintext network traffic in TYOOL 2018. Goddamn, Todd.

Yeah this was already posted and then someone tried to verify any claims.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Tenzarin posted:

Um holy poo poo, you can choose any perk card when you are leveling up apparently. Guy says that you can level up int and then use the z and c keys to move over to str to pick a strength card. It makes it so you can level your stats in any order and you could basically pick 50 cards from a single special stat instead of spreading them out. Gonna test it tomorrow but changes alot. Makes it really easy to get the cards you want.

https://www.reddit.com/r/fo76/comments/9v1ds4/psa_you_are_not_locked_into_a_perk_card_for_the/

This really helps early on when you've got an extra Special floating about and some perk packs that can provide a free rank up without needing to spend a point.

Example: almost every build I'd like to try has rank 3 action boy/girl, and all of them also want hacker but not a ton of point spent into INT. If I get a hacker card from a perk pack, lucky me whatever, but if I get an Action Boy, I can upgrade to rank 3 without needing to get Agility 4 and can grab the Hacker perk card.

So basically under any level planning, I'll leavea small buffer for your final rank of perk cards until you've at least gotten to level 10 and perk packs slow down.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

rickiep00h posted:

I think respawning mobs is the most obnoxious thing about the whole game. One person shows up and literally everything respawns. Oh you were making progress? Get hosed, you're dead and you're never getting back to where you were.

This is specifically something they're working on with the upcoming instancing tech that's coming with Wastelanders.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Fallom posted:

Goons who play CoD on consoles swear by it and get super defensive when people call it cheating so it must be decent

Ah. It's definitely cheating.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

i think i posted in the wrong general, but did anyone see that huge todd howard interview? apparently bethesda tests their games by releasing bots in an instance of the game and then just lets the fireworks go off and then reads the logs, which is wild as hell

Kinda. This is a form of generic testing where you can have a bot (or fleet of bots) doing rudimentary behavior and observe usage metrics and crash reports,etc.

This doesn't replace QA, just saves them time from having to do simple things.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Can't believe a character in Fallout did a bad thing

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Generally the value judgement is the boxes, some freebies, extra stuff in the score board, and you get as much atoms as buying a bundle so you can grab some of the cosmetics.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Father Wendigo posted:

I'm pretty sure there were plans for a 3/NV remaster before Starfield imploded at the starting gate. The cash shop in 76 has consistently been producing assets from the previous games upgraded to 4/76 fidelity.

Despite all of the buzz around Fallout right now, I think the studio is trying to salvage something out of Starfield to avoid the wrath of Spencer. The guy who took credit/blame for 76's launch and first year got FIRED-fired despite being a 10+ year vet of the studio, and Todd relinquished managerial control to someone from MSX.

Bethesda hasn't even delivered a Creation Kit for Starfield yet, and that's specifically Emil and Todd's baby.

Amazing that this is like, entirely wrong except that the CK is not in public yet for Starfield.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Less technically aware people are not running the game at 120fps

E: and yeah, entirely learned from tooling with Fallout 4, borderless Fullscreen seems like it's better than fullscreen

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

roomtone posted:

i got attacked by a giant hermit crab that lived in a caravan and then it started shooting baby crabs at me

First time I ran into that was amazing because it was like 60 hours into a run and to have something so unexpected that far in was such a treat

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

I had a level 160 or so commando and wanted to reroll to focus on quests a bit more, started at 20 and just did commando again.

The perk load out it gave was very good. I'm positive run on ammo, good vats starter build. It gives you lone wanderer AND team up CHR cards and one pack. I haven't tried the others but it's a very good starter build

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

That's just someone who unlocked the legendary Wendigo class

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Kaddish posted:

So, I've been having fun running around with Cold Shoulder and a shotgun/strength focus but eventually will want to try commando. Do I need to start getting perk cards for that now, in advance?

The basic one I'm running has all 9 Commando damage cards in its core build, and a point or two into ground pounder and tank killer. The other perk outlays are supplemental and make it smoother to play (Action Boy/Girl, Marathoner, better Critical, etc) but I think being damage forward in Perception is probably best to start with

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Russian Remoulade posted:

The bots at the railways (and maybe elsewhere?) sell a plan for the mod that makes it full auto for like ~1200 caps.

Mod is under 300. Railway gun itself is about 1200

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Commando with the Rail Rifle I generally plop 3-5 shots into an enemy and pick up 8-11 back. I think part of that is that Rail Spikes act like arrows and you get some amount of ammo back.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

While it might be worth 30 bucks, it's been sold for a lot less than that very frequently (and is basically free on console with ps+ or game pass).

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

jabro posted:

The lack of cross-play is frustrating but it’s even more compounded by the fact Todd Howard was one of the biggest voices giving Sony poo poo during that whole Sony doesn’t allow cross-play brouhaha and when Sony did open it up, his head was buried in the ground when their games started to allow it.

My dude they opened it up 1 month before the game came out and only for Fortnite. Pete Hines openly talked about it when it happened, not "buried their head".

Like cross play is not just flip a switch for every game, and Sony requires you to file contracts, re-cert your game,and track players on other platforms and report their behavior to Sony and potentially pay Sony for cross platform still.

MJBuddy fucked around with this message at 20:50 on May 11, 2024

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Gully Foyle posted:

Isn't Elder Scrolls Online still a thing?

Yes but it's built and run by ZOS, not BGS. Different people, different offices, different directors, etc. Both under ZeniMax

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

AndrewP posted:

I think that experience has made me appreciate Fallout 76. It has its problems, but goddamn, at least its voice acted.

So is ESO, fwiw

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

AndrewP posted:

it's pathetic that they can't even get a solid 60 on the Series X/PS5 with sub-Ultra settings. Bethesda needs to take this ancient engine out behind the shed for god's sake

Yeah how dare they release a game on this engine 8 years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Starting at 1, imo, is if you like your Fallout experience to be that dire survivalist against the elements who solves their logistics and food problems and breaks the game over it's knee.

Starting at 20 feels like when you want to hop into Fallout to try out some weird build you thought or heard of but don't want to spend a bunch of samey time getting online.

If it was my first time I'd probably start at 1, but if you have a friend who is starting after you and just wants to shoot poo poo I'd tell them to start at 20.