Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
No profligates allowed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Yeah I gotta say, I know it wasn't a 'majority' problem but I was soured on 4 from the start because of this. Also because I cant bring myself to give a poo poo about 'UR FAMILY' plot lines. I dont and will not have a wife (no husband yet either tbf :( ), I can barely stand other people's kids, so every emotion string they tried to pull was just not there.

Red dead redemption is the only game that pulled it off for me.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
This might already be common knowledge, but I guess there's a terminal in the citadel in FO3 that gives a lot of background on vault 76. It's labeled as in the DC area. There were no real experiments done in that vault. It was more of a control for other experiments. 20 years after the bombs fell, the doors would just open up and everyone would be released to be studied. The date on the pipboy has it at 25 years after. That would definitely make co-op viable by releasing a bunch of vault dwellers into the world all at once, and more importantly, it might give you more freedom in creating your character.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

They left it so completely vague about what the experience would be like if you played it "solo". I am expecting the worst.

Yeah they made one nod towards world-building via decisions and choosing villains and heroes, then they spent the next 20 minutes talking about Minecraft with better graphics. What a joke. It's like they don't even know what made these games successful. And that's probably it for this generation of consoles. loving sucks. Hopefully some other series will come along and save RPG's.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I'm glad Bourdain didn't have to see this shitshow.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Steve2911 posted:

D-did you think Fallout was the bastion of RPGs?

Realtalk Bethesda only put out Fallout 4 like two years ago, they're working on two massive projects now that'll probably keep them busy until 2021 or so, then they'll announce the next Fallout and you can be happy again.

There's still no game out there that has matched fnv in world building, player freedom, and an interconnected story that makes your tons of different decisions have meaning. Elder Scrolls did it too but I didn't like the theme of it as much. Bethesda seems to be rapidly sprinting away from what made those games great in favor of whatever fad is in vogue so I'm not really too interested in the next installment in 2024.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I gave up on it after a few hours. It felt like you got dropped off in the middle of a novel, not that you had this blank slate to work with. I didn't care for the protagonist and he kinda had his own thing going on anyways so I'm sure it worked out for both of us.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Far cry did co op right and hilariously is a more engaging rpg now too.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Catalyst-proof posted:

People who don't care about the game the thread is about shouldn't be in the thread.

This isn't a fallout 76 only thread. :eng101:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
You gonna play this berke? It might be a jankier, less detailed eso but it will have guns and bombs

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Berke Negri posted:

ive already pre-ordered, pro-legion dude

If I play it'll only be to nuke your house

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Berke Negri posted:

jokes on you im homeless

im out hunting mothmens

Well then it'll be to nuke your favorite place to explore

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Sinteres posted:

I like canon, but if someone makes a game that might be interesting and has to do something that doesn't fit exactly in line with my vision of the continuity of the series, I still think it's worth giving it a chance instead of getting bent out of shape over it. This game's going to be a side project prequel anyway, so it's unlikely to have much influence on the series going forward. If the divergence from the True History of Fallout is too big for you, just don't play it.

Fallout has always made concessions with their games to focus on role-playing, tons of options in dialogue, and games that can be played many different ways by many different people. These concessions are things like graphics, the engine, bugs, and combat. This new game is going to rely entirely on all the poo poo they suck at. And the "let them try new things" argument is kind of silly since they didn't make their own fallout game for like 10 years, and the one they did release focused more on tacked on minecraft than it did on what made the series popular, and was more constraining and shallow than any other fallout game. It's fair to criticize the direction they're going with this, especially since it surely cut into the development of fallout 4 and its dlc.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

cargohills posted:

Why do you think it cut into the development of Fallout 4? It's been 3 years and apparently Fallout 76 is part-developed by an entirely separate studio. There were only 2 years between 3 and New Vegas and that worked out perfectly fine.

Because it's 4 times the size of 4 and there's probably a massive effort required to make something like that even feasible in multiplayer under the janky confines of bethesda tech.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Sinteres posted:

I have issues with it as a game, and would probably prefer for them to have put those resources toward something else too. I just think the environment looking too nice is a weird thing to be mad about given how many people have wanted that for years.

Yeah nerds gonna nerd tho.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
There's no npc settlers so who is the bar for

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Berke Negri posted:

im thirsty vb

Maybe you can buy a drink from cuntlord mlady, the naked traveling salesman who's always doing the Macarena

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

marktheando posted:

Rewatching Todd says “each of those characters is a real person” when referring to the people that left Vault 76. He didn’t say there are no NPCs.

He also says they are the first to leave the vault. If there were survivor communities or something you would think it would've been mentioned

Azhais posted:

There are clearly npc raiders and poo poo, they showed them in the trailer.

I didn't see any. All vault dwellers and monsters.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Rinkles posted:

Vault-Diving? In Fallout 4?

You have to build the vault first

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Yardbomb posted:

"Oh a fight pit bar? That sounds really co- oh it's just a shootout that gets abandoned after. A ROBOT RACETRACK? That sounds awes- oh it's just a shootout that gets abandoned after. Well.. I mean surely this witchcraft museum might have something ne- shoot monster and leave."

Whoever wasted all their really good setpieces like that should've had their poo poo slapped.

I was so mad when I found out there was no way to not aggro everyone when you walked into the combat zone.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

FlamingLiberal posted:

At least in FO4 you had some connection to the main antagonist

I had a connection to general Oliver in fnv since I was in an army and he's in an army

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Nooner posted:

this poo poo is gonna be worse than far cry primal ):

Well duh far cry primal ruled. It even had a more interesting and better integrated settlement mechanic than fallout 4.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The whole bouncing between servers thing makes it sound ridiculous. Like what, one day you log on and oh hey on this server the section of the map you built your house on is nuked out and devastated, then you log out log in and everything is fine? You go down a route you're familiar with and one time there's a giant fuckoff dong house and the next time it's like it never even existed?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
It kind of reminds me like how a civilization multiplayer game would feel if everything was all chopped up into servers. You are the Romans, you have 8 cities, you have these techs and these developments. Generating...

Then you pop into the same map but with entirely different characters on the map with poo poo built in entirely different places. It'd be totally incoherent.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Your Computer posted:

Oh yeah another thing about 76; I feel like just from the screenshots and footage shown so far there have been more - as well as more impressive - locations and landmarks than probably in the entirety of Fallout 4.

And I say this as someone who likes Fallout 4 :v:

Yeah that's for drat sure.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I bet far cry new dawn is going to put fallout 4's post apocalyptic settlement mechanic to shame with a quarter of the work Bethesda put in.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Tei posted:

far cry new dawn looks like a very lazy effort of reusing assets. is going to move/flow smoother than anything bethesda, but also soulless and devoid of life

Eh, people said the same thing about far cry primal since it was the same map from far cry 4 with different assets or whatever but it was an awesome game imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Tei posted:

ubisoft is starting to make the games more reactive, with unscripted events getting better all the time

if this continue this path (and is not guarantee that they will), they may even get into bethesda/obsidian/pyrannabytes territory

assassin creed odyssey was almost skyrim like

asscreeds combat got even shittier than fallouts from origin on. it's unplayable imo. they used to have their own thing that was super fun and blended well but now it's like world of warcraft or some lovely mmo combat only completely unnecessary since it's a single player game.