Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

CJacobs has been streaming Fallout: New Vegas and it's given me the urge to play it again. I tried popping in the mods he's been using, but the game crashes even more than it does in his stream.

I'll either get the game again from GOG, which may be more stable, when it's on sale or *gasp* play it without mods like a gods-damned caveman!

I never knew about the "and stay back" perk, and it looks great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Gort posted:

Why would the game be more stable if you bought it from GOG?

When I was looking around at the mods that CJacobs uses, possibly the one that allows the game to work with 4gb ram rather than 2gb, I thought I saw someone mention "this isn't needed for the GOG version as they already include it" or something along those lines. As I understood it, GOG often tries to ensure that their older games will work on newer systems. I could be wrong, though!

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

"My name? Yeah, my name is-" *bullet shrapnel rattle about in brain case* "Dongs McGoon. Yeah, that must be it." :downs:

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

The Skeleton King posted:

Then here's the Railroad who have a painted red line that everyone in diamond city knows about going straight to their secret base, which is locked with the brilliant password which is loving "Railroad". They're super concerned about synth's rights when right across the loving street there's super mutants eating people. It's dumb.

The whole thing with the synths is causing instability in the region that allows the super mutants to go around eating people. You deal with the exploitation of the synths - which frees people up to dealing with the super mutants. Plus some of the railroad ARE synths, so you'd think they'd care a bit about the subjugation of their people y'know?

And the red line thing is just so that the average player could find their way and feel good about it. I guess the other option could have been that a railroad operative gets into contact with you once you've made a small mark in the Commonwealth.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

corn in the bible posted:

It was also constrained by time and budget constraints. For more about this see every building in FO4 being essentially identical on the inside since making lots of setpieces is expensive

Huh. I wonder if a DLC that basically gives you a crowbar, allowing you to break open doors that were planked-over, would have been worth it.

Terrible Idea: a Kickstarter(TM) system for DLC. "This is the game that we were able to do within limits of time, budget and console technology limits; but if you raise X amount of money, we'll make a PC DLC where you can Y and Z, etc"

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

MrQwerty posted:

the direction bethesda took the BoS in their fallout games is indescribably bad

Question - should the Brotherhood exist at all at this point? I haven't played 1 or 2, but I understand that they barely exist in 2 and the ending narrative for NV has their Nevada group pretty much sucking rear end, no matter who controls the Strip or the Dam.

At this point, their only appearance in a Fallout game should be a comically incorrect museum exhibit. But, then again, we shouldn't really be seeing buildings made of corrugated metal and wooden pallets and yet here we are.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Gaius Marius posted:

It would've actually have been really hosed up if you reunited Veronica and Christine. Imagine Veronica's horror at seeing that Christine's clearly gone through a ton of torture and some harrowing combat and when she opens her mouth a completely different voice comes out. It would be spooky as hell.

And yet, I feel it's worse to deny a LGBT character(s) possible happiness in such a way? They've each already been through a lot of poo poo, Veronica and Christine should be allowed to rule the Madre together, in my opinion.

I could say it feels a bit gay-bait-like. (actual gay folks in this thread should sound in and tell me if I'm right or wrong/full of poo poo or whatever)

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Sorry, turns out the term is Queerbaiting and I'm not quite using it in the right context. The characters outright say they're gay/were in such a relationship in this case.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I don't think I've ever seen words more cursed in this thread.

<Two Years Later>

How many fingers does this monkey's paw have?!? :gonk:

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Wasn't there a ghoul in Nuka World who was trying to find the cure for going feral, and it turns out that all ghouls eventually go feral?

There was one that looked around the town's surrounding Nuka World - until she felt herself going feral and killed herself. She leaves a message for another ghoul, which you can take to them and then they go off looking for a cure - or something like that.

Basically, you meet a few other ghouls who'll have been around as long as that lady (or longer in the case of that stupid quest with Nick Valentine...) and they haven't gone feral or "feel" like they're at threat of going feral sooooo...

I never played the original two games, did feral ghouls exist there?

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

I didn't pick up on the libertarian aspects of House, somehow - perhaps because it was against the backdrop of the post-post-apocalypse - and didn't really see much difference between the Courier 'ruling' and House ruling New Vegas.

Somehow I didn't pick up on his plans for space travel or whatever. I just updated the securitron army and... Invalidated my contract with House, so to speak.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Keeshhound posted:

Rex can carry more. :colbert:

Looks like somone didn't learn the lesson of Dead Money. :colbert:

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Stopping fan mods would be a terrible idea.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Neurolimal posted:

I'm more confused by how people are adopting fake dead accents, casually referencing Moby Dick, but somehow have no idea how Baseball works.

I'm fairly sure there was a medieval game, possible jousting but it could be something else, that was popular and we'll known enough among the populace that no one bothered the right down the rules in detail that survived to this day - we know that the game was played, but not many specifics.

So maybe the rules for baseball could have been lost, and the violent nature of the Wasteland has warped people's minds? Or just that one guy is an idiot?

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Vault 76, like the Gary vault but it's WeedLord_BonerHitler69.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

I think Rose of Sharon Cassidy, or someone at least, mentions something along the lines of that leaders of toll stations don't have any strict rules about taking tolls and seem to make it up as they go along, and leaders and troopers are swap out and around often so you don't really know what to expect. Legion seem to have their affairs in more order in those regards.

Plus, I kind of get the feeling that it's 'tolls' rather than 'taxes' that are causing the trouble. Again, people have pointed out that taxes don't mean much in a place where barter is still a thing.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Bremen posted:

I don't remember those lines, but consider who's saying them; Cass has been the victim of a conspiracy trying to drive out competing caravans for awhile, and which may have had at least some support from the NCR government. The tolls might have been messed up because the troops in charge were being bribed to make her life harder and/or the government was looking the other way if they extorted the non-crimson caravans.

ApeHawk's fantastic melee screenshot LP of the game has this update where she says:

Cass posted:

And Legion, from what I've heard, they don't do the "stop tolls" on the roads or in the outposts like some NCR quartermasters do. You're lucky if you turn a profit sometimes if some new officer gets assigned a route, the fees just get worse.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

shovelbum posted:

its so fuckin dumb they could easily make at least like holes to piss in officially everywhere

That isn't working too well in Paris.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Father Wendigo posted:

Raccoons the size of men capable of using stolen firearms and simple tools, possums that can be pacified by throwing tick meat and food on the ground, shaggy toxic rabbits that leave a trail of poison everywhere they run, boars with hide so thick they don't treat anything short of a death deathclaw as hostile...

At this point they'd better put some effort into the game and just make it a Gamma World game.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Obsidian's Outer Worlds: The House Ending Was Canon

Gotta admit, I like this one.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Bholder posted:

Also is it just me or am I the only one who's incredibly sick of this "Bioshock artstyle" with the old timey buildings and the giant heads and crazy hairdos.
The game also reminds me of Borderlands and not in a good way.

I could totally see someone in marketing in one of these companies make the connection between settling a new world and the (popularly perceived) asthetics of "pioneer"-era settlement of North America. They slap some ol'-timey prospector images on their products, other companies follow suit and there's a Douglas Adams "planet of shoes" situation where everything ends up themed after cowboy-adjacent nonsense.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Schneider Inside Her posted:

Hanging out for the Fallout battle royale

That's just a run-of-the-mill Vault experiment, surely?

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

ASenileAnimal posted:

my favorite lovely thing is when the game randomly spawns like 10 dudes behind you despite being in an empty room.

They just turned their stealth-boys off.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

BMan posted:

Literally every NPC knows that the freedom trail leads to the railroad, it's not a secret. Why the institute hasn't sent a courser squad to follow it is another question

They've seen the notes reading "follow the freedom trail" - they may not be 100% aware of the old tourist trap line that goes through part of the city, especially since that line in actuallity goes by a bunch of dangerous locations - Swan, raiders, etc - which your bog-standard scavver wouldn't be up to facing.

The Institute may also be ignorant of the connection.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Ralph Crammed In posted:

To tell you the truth I don't even remember what his whole deal was. It was hard to pay attention cause he was just droning on about the Bull and the Bear and he was mad at me (or not?) for something that was not my fault. Come on man, I just had a weird lady's brain in a jar orgasm over my breathing, you really expect me to pay attention to your philosophical waxing?

Turns out taking two bullets to the head made you forget 'bout a nice little stop-off you used to hang around - also last time you were there you delivered a package that, unbeknownst to you, ended up triggering some underground nuclear silos.

Also that the nice little place had been under surveillance by both the NCR and Caesar's Legion and I guess the Legion were about to attack before the package, sent by the NCR, set off the bombs?

Turns out "I've had multiple amateur and technically-professional brain surgeries performed on me since then, so I haven't a clue what you're talking about" isn't a satisfactory answer to Philosophy-Man. 🤷‍♂️

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Vinylshadow posted:

It's disappointing that the game treats joining the Institute as an evil reprehensible thing when with you as Director, it could very easily become a force for making the Commonwealth flourish

They're all complicit in the kidnapping and murder of hundreds of people. All of them.

And the thing with the lawyer wife could well be she spent some time in the army to get money for Education.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Bholder posted:

I agree, it's annoying how for most people the main complaint with every Fallout games is that they are not New Vegas enough.

I'm sticking to my guns. Fallout 3 shoulda been more like New Vegas before New Vegas even was. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Looking over all of Strong's reactions to decisions you can make in dialogue (through a list like on a wiki or something) he has something of a coherent and interesting philosophy. He approves of building communities (or, I guess, armies) but he is angered by mollycoddling those he considers weak. Due to his dislike of extended scavenging, the settlements you build would only use what was immediately at hand, and be very ramshackle, just like how super-mutant bases are like in the game.

But considering how much lockpicking and hacking there is on offer while exploring the ruins, he just comes across as annoying.