Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Dongicus posted:

i'm gonna spare everyone the boring discourse and say that F3 is a bad fallout game.

It took a decade of mockery but goons finally discovered that NMA was right and Bethesda ruined Fallout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Neurolimal posted:

E: if you want to take FO outside Americana, the obvious choice is to cross the iron curtain and have one based around Russia and their retrofuturism. Although there's still plenty of unique areas you can take FO in America.

I think the UK is probably the only other nation with a similar sort of Cold War kitsch.

Like imagine an apocalyptic, 1984-esque London where survivors must follow the increasingly insane and contradictory rules issued by a Civil Defence parody, all watched over by an unseen, undying mutant queen.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

2house2fly posted:

Last time I played Alpha Protocol I tried to get the achievement for not doing any romances in a playthrough, and then right at the end my wife made me have sex with SIE

Sorry, you get the bad ending for spilling your essence. In game and in real life.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Weirdly enough, I also started doing an unarmed playthrough of 2 recently. Except I think I hosed up because I picked Bruiser as a trait.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Its pretty hard to kill Metzger's gang that early on. It's pretty satisfying when you finally do, though.

Also, if you really need caps you could just become a slaver yourself (don't do this).

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

There's a lot of dudes with guns from what I recall. At that point all you've really fought are Geckos. Also they have armor while you might not have anything yet.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Boy howdy is killing Wanamingos unarmed the most tedious thing.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

They're remastering BoS.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Its a Switch port and if you preorder it you can turn into a Mario or something.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Isn't ropekid still there?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

(its fake)

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

If New York isn't a crater then what did the Chinese even hit?

Of course, I'd say the same about DC...

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I'd be okay with revisiting San Francisco. Just up the kung fu stuff times a thousand and make it like a post apocalyptic Shaw Brothers film. There's a market for flying guillotine weapons in video games that Bethesda could totally tap.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I've posted about it before, but I'd love to see a Waterworld-esque, pirate themed game set in the half sunken remains of Honolulu. You could bring back the Kings as they follow their prophet's pilgrimage to Hawaii.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

All the NPCs have only one canned line, "I'm walkin' here!" and they spout it nonstop.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Yea, a prototypical Fallout quest has you deciding between one of several factions controlling a town, and in Fallout 2 there are several points where you can choose which of the emerging regional powers absorbs the smaller communities. Depending on the ending you get you are basically directly responsible for the NCR annexing northern California.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Not everything Avellone has done has been a homerun but he's a competent writer and understands how to construct a story, which is more than you can say about 90% of the writers in the industry.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Sheen Sheen posted:

If this Rust-clone is what the game ends up being, I might have to finally break the seal and join some goon servers or however goons play together online

I'd be tempted, but I'd need to know what the clan's policy is regarding mutants first.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

You can kill the slavers immediately and it'll be fine. No one else goes hostile, its pretty easy, the Rangers will still give you a medal, etc.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Why shouldn't they live in cities? The ruins don't decay after hundreds of years and the cities are mostly intact - Boston has random city blocks that have crumbled but it's skyline and major neighborhoods are fine. In fact, since the bomb hit in the far southwest outside of the city, Boston should be functionally one community, like New Vegas.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I'm kinda disappointed that there weren't dedicated buttons in dialogue that allowed you to either accuse every character of being a synth or to claim that you yourself are a synth.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I don't really know what you're talking about. I found Shaun, he was behind glass in that Institute place. When that creep who took him came barreling in I immediately caved his skull in. That's when I saw that Shaun was motionless and hunched over - he had shut off. He had already been replaced by a Synth! It was a great twist, one communicated entirely through visuals and not dialogue.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Tenzarin posted:

How does the most technological place on the nuked earth have the only person in the fallout universe dying of cancer. There's people that have turned into literal zombies. They can remove peoples brains and put them into robots but one person gets cancer. They had FEV he could have been dipped.

Ironically he was a firm believer in homeopathic medicine. I guess all the horrors of super science made him distrustful of medicine.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Why does the Vault Tec guy wear the same clothes for 200 years? I'd changed clothing within 2 minutes of leaving the Vault.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Why does he still remember someone he had a 2 minute conversation with 200 years ago? I don't remember people I talked to last week. What a goon, I'm going to put him in a pillory and have one of those automatic paint guns shoot him in the butt, forever.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Keeshhound posted:

It was, admittedly, a very special day that might have stood out in his memory for other reasons.

Okay, you got me there.

He's still getting paint rear end.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Wait, Nick is a synth?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Everyone you meet at the Institute is actually a Synth and the whole operation is ran by the Think Tank, except they've long forgotten what the point was.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Fallout 3 had some of the best concept art I've ever seen for a game.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Fallout 4 has more than one character I like, so it's a bit of an improvement.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The bombs killed all the moms and without moms around, no one was there to make people clean their rooms. Now, 200 years later, the ultimate mom has been brought from the past and she's going to make them pay, she's going to make them all pay.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Brother Entropy posted:

one of the new mutant things they showed was very mothman

And one of the devs was wearing a Mothman shirt in that doc. They're leaning into the moth.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Donovan Trip posted:

Fallout 76 is going to be the greatest of all fallout games by taking what worked with fallout 4 and hyperfocusing on that, while jettisoning every weak point.

Nick Valentine and the Silver Shroud are going to be in this?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

TBF, I'm an oldschool Fallout fan who does think Bethesda basically ruined all the parts of the series that made me love it anyways. But whatever, New Vegas was the perfect conclusion to old Fallout, and the Beth games are fun enough in their own right to justify me, uh, playing them long after they come out when I get them on discount. Complaining about them is like complaining about New Simpsons - you're probably not wrong but just change the channel if it bothers you.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

https://webmshare.com/play/RN5LE

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Riatsala posted:

Wasn't there a flubbed voice line that slipped past and got into the retail version of Oblivion? Like the VA fucks up and says something to the director?

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9REWMEOLdI

I never played Oblivion but does the person playing this have some of graphics mod that makes the lighting like that or was the base game that horrible looking?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Roman posted:

Some people launched a nuke at the fissure site on the first day and this is what happened

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDoshiqDeKs

Witness the destructive power of the atom - able to slightly scorch a small field.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

They made this as the spinoff game instead of letting Obsidian make another classic.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

No Mods No Masters posted:

The subsequent bethesda fallouts are so bad that they make fallout 3 look better in hindsight. It's still bad, but at least it was something like a good faith effort

It was definitely fun revisiting the world from 1 and 2, experiencing it from a new perspective. The plot was bad and it was barely an rpg but it was new and had charm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I think at this point we all want better pvp