Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

marktheando posted:

So was it just me that really enjoyed the settlement building?

I liked it despite thinking it was a half assed effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Valtonen posted:

Wouldve been nice to take out raiding parties of armed settlers to do wasteland mop-up or organized salvaging parties with brahmin to scour the roads of car wrecks.

That's the bill of goods the trailer sold me.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I think any rerelease of 3/NV would require more work than Skyrim both because the tech is that much more ancient and the games are hideous. Skyrim was a huge step up in presentation for Bethesda. Which is why I think a remaster is unlikely.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Some sort of update/reveal should commence in just about 5 minutes.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Motherfuckers. (there was some star confetti at 9:46)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ye84Zrqndo

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Powershift posted:

It's page 76 too :ohdear:

lol

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

MadJackal posted:

Holy poo poo, full blown new game! I don't care if the main story is inevitably lackluster, I just want to get back to exploring some wasteland.

It might not be that.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I agree. They plopped a vague (potentially misleading) teaser two weeks before releasing any specific information. The rumors are leading to pessimistic speculation, but they set themselves up for this themselves.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

2house2fly posted:

The game is going to sell like hotcakes regardless so I doubt they care

I imagine it'll at least mildly irritate Pete Hines.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

frajaq posted:

lol "pessimistic speculation"

like anyone will seriously give a poo poo after they put their E3 show and hype things up again

A bad news cycle can have lasting effects, but I'm more annoyed that they weren't more forthcoming.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Dan Didio posted:

Battlecry was the one of that wave of character based multiplayer games that just got quietly cancelled, right? I remember it and the terrible Gearbox one had real similar titles.

Yeah, Bethesda's weird w/ its money

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvC9JwIWYME

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Dan Didio posted:

Let's all say one nice thing about Fallout 4:

They brought back the spandex suit.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I'm probably not touching an MMO-like, but optional co op would be fine. I was honestly a bit surprised 4 didn't feature an attempt at adding co op.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I didn't like the perk system either. Perks are cool when they add quirks and powerful effects to your character, not when they're used for mundane leveling.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Otacon posted:

a few weeks ago I had nothing better to do and ended up watching an almost 2 hour long video on youtube of some guy sperging about how FO3 was better than FONV and he made some good points

I'm not watching the video, but MATN's favorite game is New Vegas, so I'm pretty sure he doesn't think 3 is better.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

jfood posted:

gonna say it, I am excited. excited for those first ten to fifteen hours where it's loving amazing and the best thing ever, don't lie. won't so much enjoy the following ten where it tails off into aggressive mediocrity and then never finish it. I'm also excited about the next however many hours I spend beating the poo poo out of it with mods and being a murderhobo who avoids anything resembling plot.

There's some very unsubstantiated rumors that it won't run player mods. Unsubstantiated, but that would make sense for a game with a multiplayer component (also a rumour but from a much more reliable source).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Valtonen posted:

Anyone being ”ugggh mmo” ESO is way above skyrim as far as getting someone Interested in elder scrolls. Now I dont know what eso was at launch but I started playing january this year and have stacked way more hours on it than skyrim. The size and variability on scenery is amazing compared to skyrim where every dungeon is either copypaste mine/draugr/dwarven ruin.

The writing isnt amazing most of the time but it never stoops as bad as skyrim (Well thieves guild is bad But still not as bad as skyrims) and most of the time the themes are surprisingly grim for such colorful game. Like 7 out of ten sidequests the ending is ”sorry to inform you dear NPC But your mom/spouse/kid was already dead/cultist/sacrifice/daedric playmate by the time I got there”

Also the different races and their cultures get way better presentation than ”this is nord he drink beer” when you can go exploring the world.

so lorewise ESO has done a shitton more on expanding tamriel than skyrim ever did.

So If they decide to MMO fallout yea it sounds bad but it doesnt mean the writing has to be bad.

You don't find the massively multiplayer bit immersion breaking?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Question, are Destiny, Rust or the like considered MMOs (online, persistent games with a lot of people)? Thought they were (as distinct from the MMORPG)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Wouldn't they go the Skyrim SE route for Creation Club implementation? There's no way you can just graft that onto a buggy decade old game without major major issues.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1003322579711451137

Multiple vault boys, what could it mean?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Liquid Communism posted:

the sole reason the game is remotely successful long-term is full-conversion level mods.

That seems like an absurd statement about a game model that exploded in popularity with the advent of HD consoles (notably, unmoddable).

Whatever else might be wrong with creation club mods, their prices are insane.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

2house2fly posted:

The top New Vegas mod has nearly 8 million downloads

1 million unique downloads.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Wolfsheim posted:

Isn't Pete Hines like a PR guy, why is he on the fanboy death list :laffo:

NMA hated the guy, I think, because of his rather "Oblivion with guns" pitches to media, and because he wasn't very diplomatic about how he treated them and their opinions (he was very "we own fallout now, and we'll do as we like. Deal with it.")

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Neurolimal posted:

I mean, Obsidian literally invented the voiced dialogue wheel in Alpha Protocol. It worked there because the the protagonist was his own interesting character, you just picked his methods.

No, at the very least Mass Effect preceded it by almost 3 years.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I knew that'd get some approving nods.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

buglord posted:

is it safe to assume all future fallouts are going to have voiced protags now because Seanmom makes my ears bleed after a few hours and I cant imagine awful VAs in all the upcoming sequels

yeah probs

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

marktheando posted:

Well yeah, but it’s silly they care that much about leaks. It’s a game, not the Manhattan project. Where’s the harm in the public knowing what game they are working on?

Disturbs their carefully constructed marketing strategies.

The secrecy has some "fun" consequences

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaOSPUtjidY

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

popewiles posted:

I think Alpha Protocol has my favorite dialogue system of any game, but I also think the timed responses make much more sense in the context of playing a spy/secret agent. I wouldn't want the same mechanic when I'm talking to Joe Peasant as Geralt.

W3 does have some timed responses during tense moments.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

popewiles posted:

That's true, I guess I just meant I would probably be annoyed if I had to deal with timed responses in every low-stakes conversation in a Fallout game.

Same.

I don't love them in general, but used sparingly they can add tension at appropriate times.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

ZombieSupaStar posted:

Did anyone ever ask Todd why Fallout 4 has like 4 skill checks in the whole main game? I could see them not bothering, but to barely include any? Did they run out time? Take a look at new Vegas’s bugs and noped out? Forgot to send the memo to the one designer who did them?

iirc, in interviews he's admitted that was one of the things they screwed up in FO4 and tried to address in Far Harbor

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spcP97RKgYY

76 features some new enemies

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Before the trailer played, Howard said 76 is 4 times the size of 4.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

buglord posted:

is there a way to make fallout 2 combat more enjoyable if I dislike turn based games in general? its aggressively bad and playing this poo poo is a nightmare so far.

Your skills might suck. FO1/2 are turn based but they're not very tactical. Winning combat is usually just a question of having the right gear/skills (cheesy exploits notwithstanding). You're going to have a bad time if your build's bad.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

KoRMaK posted:

I watched that noclip docu that game out about bethesda a week ago and while it's like ok and bethesda has done stuff, they skipped right over new vegas and basically todd howard and the other people talked about new vegas like it was a terrible relative.

I haven't watched it, but afaik it was a doc on Bethesda not Fallout (that apparently glosses over pre-Morrowind games). so it makes sense not to focus on nv

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I mean, that would certainly fit the trend of the DLCs being the best part of Fallout 3 and Fallout 4.

I'm really digging the look of this new game, and all of the new monsters. What are the odds that Mothman shows up as a boss? High I hope!

I thought the big hulky thing looked crap and, dare I say, budget

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

Is there any proof of "bad blood" other than people online asserting that because New Vegas was better than 3, Bethesda must be super jealous?

Not really. Presumably it's mostly based on Obsidian being shafted out of a bonus by missing their Metacritic target by 1 point, but, at least publicly, Obsidian and multiple devs have said their relationship is amicable and they'd happily work on another Fallout (duh)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Sorry:

Holy poo poo Chris Avellone presenting dying light 2!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Yeah, isn't this why Bethesda has the rights to Fallout in the first place? Because Obsidian had to sell it? Because Obsidian is really good at making games, but SUPER bad at managing money (a trait that is unfortunately common among many game developers)?

No, Interplay sold the rights to Bethesda. Obsidian was founded by Interplay exiles. Obsidian never had the rights to Fallout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

cargohills posted:

The secret with the old Fallout games, as is the case with almost all "classic" RPGs, is that they aren't actually very fun to play.

Nah. There's always a hump, sometimes insurmountable, but it's often worth it if you manage to acclimatize yourself to the standards (or lack thereof) of a bygone era.