Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I was going to make a "does this thread have mod support" joke, but in actuality it might be a good idea to throw up some links to the New Vegas and Fallout 4 modding threads in the OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Freaking Crumbum posted:

i guess what i'm saying is, i would pay an embarrassing amount of money to have NV professionally recreated in the engine used by 4 (i know there's fan hacks of varying degrees of completion, but i am willing to be none of those will ever actually be finished). i know obsidian and bethesda left on bad terms after the NV review-bonus debacle, but holy gently caress NV in 4's engine would be my dream game.

This isn't true, FYI. I mean, it's true Obsidian missed out on a big payout thanks to a single point on Metacritic, but that's standard for the gaming industry and everyone at Obsidian has been completely open that they'd love to work on Fallout again.

Also if it does come out it's gonna be a long-rear end time from now, but man I hope Fallout 4: New Vegas does reach some kind of actual release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KARSz0AE39Q

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Reality Loser posted:

Fo4:nv will never be released.

On the one hand, probably not. On the other hand, the team behind it seems reasonably well-organized, so...

Well, it's nice to dream.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Glazius posted:

As an advancement system for a game where you play exactly one character, Fallout 4's alright. Nobody ever made meaningful choices on where to put exactly one skill point anyway - it was all in blocks of 5 or 10 or 25 at a time. I could see a couple enhancements to it, like having to alternate between perks that put your damage/hack level/crit bonus up and perks that gave you some neat effect, or a derived attribute system where your stat points and perk choices would combine into ratings that could interact with dialogue New Vegas-style.

One thing I speculated they would do (And what I still wish they'd gone with) was combine the learn-by-doing approach of Skyrim with the Challenge Perks from New Vegas. For example, like in Skyrim you'd be able to lockpick/hack any chest/terminal right off the bat, and every 25 or so successful attempts would grant a perk to make it easier. Or for weapons, you'd get damage or capability boosting perks for however much damage you deal with that kind of weapon.

Instead we got the perk chart

hooray

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
There's nothing necessarily wrong with having a voiced protagonist (As mentioned, Mass Effect does it fairly well), but I don't think it's unfair to say that Bethesda's execution for Fallout 4 was godawful. It's not the VA's fault, after all, that most of the dialogue is garbage, nor that Bethesda created a system where every conversation is limited to four (typically inane) responses.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Internet Kraken posted:

Bethesda created a system where you are limited to 4 responses because voice acting is expensive as hell and having someone read multiple lines for every response adds up really fast. Its weird that you would mention Mass Effect as being a good example in that regard because its even more limiting than Fallout 4 with responses; most of the time you have 3 to choose from.

The reason Shepard works better than the Fallout 4 protag is because Shepard is a far more defined character. You're opportunities to roleplay as Shepard aren't that vast but the game is more about shaping both yourself and the world through your choices than being whatever you want. That doesn't work in Fallout 4 because they only went half-way; you are a defined character but they designed the world around a more blank slate protagonist.

The dialogue wheel isn't great, and like you said it typically boils down to only two-three responses that actually move the conversation along. But at the same time, it does allow the player to dig in deeper into certain topics (typically regarding ~lore~), which the Fallout 4 system is singularly incapable of doing.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
There's also the Humble Cudgel, the unique tire iron that maybe three people ever found without consulting the wiki. :v:

Honestly, the sewers seem like an area that could have had some potential, possibly as an alternative way to infiltrate the Strip, but there's not nearly enough down there outside of the Thorn to make it really worth exploring. (Not that that's really a complaint, though, considering how much else is in the game)

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Internet Kraken posted:

Wait you can find the chrysalis in New Vegas?

You sure can.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Pwnstar posted:

He disembowels himself in the same way Cato did, "unwilling to live in a world led by Caesar and refusing even implicitly to grant Caesar the power to pardon him" which is extremely badass.

That ending and Boone's Legion ending are both incredibly badass:

quote:

Driven mad by Caesar's victory at Hoover Dam, and unable to escape his memories, Boone staged a suicide mission against the Legate. Fighting as he wished he would've fought on the day of his wife's death, he brought down scores of Legionaries before being caught. Before his crucifixion, he was brought before the Legate, who expressed his admiration for Boone's reckless abandon. Boone spat tobacco in his eye, for all of Caesar's armies to see.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Bad news for anyone anticipating the Fallout 3-> 4 conversion mod:

According to their facebook page they've decided to halt the mod indefinitely. Bethesda's decision will also be impacting the New Vegas conversion, but that team has decided to continue on anyway and just use their own VA.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

JawKnee posted:

What decision?

Basically both mods were planning on using sound files from the original games so they wouldn't have to replicate the VA, and Bethesda told them that's not an option.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Yeah it's weird, since I know the F4NV guys talked specifically about how the game would require a verified steam install of New Vegas to run the extractor, and obviously Tale of Two Wastelands pulled everything from Fallout 3 into New Vegas without issue. :shrug:

For the record, here's the full statement from the F4NV team:

quote:

Hey F4NV fans and supporters, and welcome to another weekly devlog.

For this week, in light of issues that have arisen within our corner of the Fallout 4 modding community, we have a single fairly massive change in our project's planning to discuss.

As many of you likely know, our sister project, Fallout 4: The Capital Wasteland, has indefinitely halted development on their mod. This follows discussions with Bethesda that indicated that the method both our project and theirs were intending to use to extract and port the audio from Fallout: New Vegas/Fallout 3 was not allowed.

We've been aware of this issue for a couple of weeks, and have spent the time exploring options for Fallout 4: New Vegas. After long internal discussion and consultations with intellectual property lawyers, we have finally come to a conclusion.

F4NV's development will go on.

However, changes in our development plans will be needed for us to accomplish our goal of a fully realized remake of Fallout: New Vegas.

Core to this is the newest portion of our development team, the Voice Acting department. Team F4NV had initially considered setting up a voice team during its early days, and a study on the requirements and feasibility of this was discussed in-depth, factoring the amount of acting needed per-character, number of characters voiced by how many voice actors, and a number of other key factors. At the time, operating with the understanding that we were able to use the original New Vegas audio, we deemed a voice acting project to be far too much work, for far too little reward.

However, with the shift in our priorities, we now are able to draw upon this previous detailed examination to work out the best possible approach for Team F4NV to create a high-quality, entertaining mod.

Central to that is the way voice acting will be managed within Team F4NV. Unlike other teams such as the Level Design or Asset Creation teams, our Voice Acting team will be operating autonomously, working with voice actors on roles suited to their unique voice. As a result, their work will not be bound to the same milestone structure as the rest of the team. This means that often the VA team will be working on content totally different from that which the rest of the team is focusing their efforts on, but we've modified our release roadmap planning system to compensate for that.

What this means to anybody who downloads any releases of F4NV, ultimately, is that our release schedule won't be impacted at all by the addition of new voice acting. This, of course, comes with a minor catch.

Due to the way that the Voice Acting Team will be operating separately from the core project team, this means that their work will be included as it is ready. While this will mean that certain parts of the game will be fully voiced far ahead of schedule, other areas may end up lagging behind. As a result, F4NV releases may end up going out without voiceover recorded for certain characters, depending on where our VA Team stands at any given point in time. While disappointing, we feel that this approach best allows us to keep the project on-track, while also allowing us to maintain a high standard of quality within the project.

While this may seem discouraging, thanks to the way F4NV has set itself up internally, this shift has taken little to no effort on the part of the team, and development has continued on at a steady pace without issue.

We will be making an announcement in the immediate future when all of the infrastructure is in place for us to accept voice acting applicants, so those of you who are interested, watch this space in the meantime!

Thanks to each and every one of you for your support. While our journey to a finished mod has gotten a little more complicated, between the fantastically skilled people in F4NV, and the strong wind of our wonderful community's support at our backs, we can overcome this bump in the road.

Keep an eye out for further updates from Team F4NV, and until next time, Stay Classy!

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
The upside is that I'm 100% sure someone's going to come out with an unofficial installer that will replace the modded VA with the original VA, this is just a way for the project to continue with everything legally in the clear.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Rookersh posted:

More then half those unmarked quests are repeatable quests also. Even more are super banal talk to a guy a few feet away type things.

I've only done it once, but it's totally possible to 100% do every quest in F3, plus have 60-80% of the map explored within 20 hours of gameplay. Including at least the Pitt/Anchorage.

I skipped Point Lookout because by the time I got there the ghouls took a billion rounds, and I skipped Mothership Zeta because lol. But yeah, F3 is actually a very tiny contained little experience you can do over a weekend if you'd like.

It is arguable that many of the unmarked Fallout 3 quests are more in depth than some marked New Vegas quests, but on the other hand New Vegas has more of both and most marked quests in New Vegas are just as or are far more in depth than the vast majority of quests in 3.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

corn in the bible posted:

If they extract the original files then it can't possibly be illegal. This is just some c&d corporate bullshit

So as an update, the situation according to the developers is that Bethesda can't let it slide because they're technically not the owners of the voice acting files-while they made the game and conducted the VA, the rights to the actual files don't belong to Bethesda, and for them to be used again would require brand-new license fees to be paid out.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

On the one hand I want actors to get work and be paid for that work. On the other hand I'm ready for robots to start voicing NPCs from here on out.

Great, now I want to see a Fallout 4 mod where the Sole Survivor's voice is replaced by Microsoft Sam.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Mar 17, 2018

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Gaius Marius posted:

They should've either just included all the Wild Wasteland stuff into the game or just cut it. Right now It's a waste of a trait.

I mean the traits in general are designed to be relatively neutral in their overall effects, soooo

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

isndl posted:

From a technical perspective this isn't at all hard to do though, it's just that adding responses to 'out of character' behavior means additional lines and we're back to the main problem that voice acting is expensive. Especially if you want to go all the way and have unique variants where the line is the same while the delivery changes, that could be doubling or more your recording time.

The actual issue isn't cost, it's planning. Josh Sawyer's talked a lot about reactivity in games, and the big thing is that it's not hard so long as it's a design goal from the very beginning. When you're creating an area or writing an encounter for the first time, it's relatively easy to insert markers for opportunities for the game to react to your past actions-but if everything's already written and you're trying to go back and add things, it's going to be nearly impossible and/or feel half-assed.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Benny's dialogue always disappointed me because he's fine in the opening cutscene, but every appearance after that is just incredibly flat.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Far Harbor in general is much more cohesive and interesting than almost everything in the base game, IMO

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Boone is the top companion in New Vegas, and not just because of that weird glitch that causes him to do 110% damage (although that doesn't hurt).

Not quite, the weird glitch gives him a 105% crit rate, which is even better (and was sadly patched out)

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
So here's a thing that looks neat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImMNxSjl7Qw

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Riatsala posted:

What's everyone's favorite method of gaming fallout for massive early game advantages?

For 3 it's as simple as playing operation anchorage at level 2. Hilariously powerful weapons and armor + 5 bonus sets of power armor to sell once the dust clears.

For New Vegas I repair and sell the 8 or so energy weapons sitting around on ghoul corpses at repconn launch site.

Getting the Hunting Shotgun from the Old Nuclear Test Site. I mean, it's not that hard to kite a bunch of Glowing Ones and Feral Ghoul Reavers at level 6 :shepface:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Azhais posted:

Would it be inappropriate to recommend "A tale of two wastelands" as a qol/visual mod? :v:

I mean I wouldn't even consider playing Fallout 3 again without it, so take that as you will.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm really enjoying Far Harbour. They put way more effort into this DLC than the entire base game. Watching the Mariner slowly build the Hull up was great. And the soundtrack's ambient tracks are even better than the base game. Inon Zur laced a lot of motifs from the New Vegas score into the Far Harbour ambience.

Far Harbor was a legitimately great DLC and it's disappointing that Nuka World was so bleh in comparison.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Honestly, it's disappointing to me because I thought there were good elements to the main quest in Fallout 4. the hook might be far too melodramatic and narrow for a game that encourages you to explore (although that has been true of a lot of open world games, and I think it's just more noticeable to people because it's an easier and more pointed criticism to make than the vague "the writing sucks"), but the breaks for exploration they inserted inside the first act of the main plot were actually pretty decent, I feel.

I feel like the game would have been a lot better if they hadn't shown your partner getting shot and your son getting kidnapped in the beginning of the game. Even if they'd done everything else the same, had they skipped that sequence and just made the cryo-pod empty you would have had the same motivation for your character (Gotta find out what happened to my son!), but much less of the urgency that drove most of the more hammy acting and writing in the first half of the game.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
My guess is a New Vegas-esque spinoff.

E: Fallout: Newer Orleans

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Icedude posted:

I can't say I'm enthusiastic about an online Fallout when Bethesda's idea of an online Elder Scrolls ended up being a first-person WoW clone where you had to keep your camera pointed at your targets.

On the other hand, if that 4chan post is true and it's a survival game with building ala Rust/H1Z1/Wurm/etc it could be fun running a blatant raider group with goons and ruining everyone else's day by the usual benefit of teamwork being OP :shrug:

I think the trailer definitely seems to indicate some kind of building/survival simulator as opposed to an MMO. I mean hell, the voiceover literally says 'You must rebuild'

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

ComposerGuy posted:

Far Harbor's writing is just as good as anything in FO 1 and 2 or New Vegas.

Also Nick Valentine is cool and good.

Far Harbor and Nick Valentine were great, and I sincerely hope Fallout 76 is written more like them and less like the rest of Fallout 4.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/Kotaku/status/1001884086280097792?s=19

quote:

When Bethesda announced Fallout 76 with a teaser trailer this morning, promising more information at E3, it was easy to assume that the new game would be a traditional single-player role-playing game. But Fallout 76 is in fact an online survival RPG that’s heavily inspired by games like DayZ and Rust, according to three people familiar with the project.

Those people, speaking anonymously so as not to damage their careers, confirmed that Fallout 76 is an experimental new entry in the longrunning post-apocalyptic series. When Bethesda first teased the game on Tuesday morning, fans and pundits speculated that it might be a Fallout 3 remaster or a New Vegas-style spinoff in a new location, but as Kotaku reported that afternoon, it is in fact something completely new and completely different. The teaser might lead Falloutfans to believe that this is a traditional entry in the series, but according to our sources, that’s not the case.

Originally prototyped as a multiplayer version of Fallout 4 with the goal of envisioning what an online Fallout game might look like, Fallout 76 has evolved quite a bit over the past few years, those sources said. It will have quests and a story, like any other game from Bethesda Game Studios, a developer known for meaty RPGs like Skyrim. It will also feature base-building—just like 2015's Fallout 4—and other survival-based and multiplayer mechanics, according to those sources. One source cautioned that the gameplay is rapidly changing, like it does in many online “service” games, but that’s the core outline

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Yeah no I'm calling 100% bullshit on that post and lol at anyone who believes it.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

2house2fly posted:

Level gating the perks which replaced skills was such an insane decision. I don't like perks being level gated anyway, but at least it didn't matter much when you had skills to build your character with

I thought for sure they were going to use the challenge system from New Vegas to create a facsimile of the 'learn by doing' system from Skyrim, where by doing things like picking locks or shooting guns you'd earn perks to get better at those things over time, and level-up perks would continue to be powerful bonuses to help shape your character.

Nope! :shepface:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

MariusLecter posted:

Wonder how much of the game is gonna be reclaiming the land from "savages" to make the wasteland great again.

It could actually be interesting if the story revolved around tension between vault dwellers, who rode out the bombs in relative comfort, and the poor bastards who had to hide from the fallout in coal mines, drinking irradiated water and emaciating themselves to survive.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Berke Negri posted:

isnt one of the endings of fallout 1 was the BoS going whole hog and turning into an evil dictatorship terrorizing the wastes from rediscovering any tech

so basically the NCR was able to keep them in check while even if you kill off the BoS in fo4 that window is probably already long gone for the east coast

I mean the other ending is that they reintroduce technology into the wasteland and become a noted force for good, so

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
The only good part of Fallout 4's main plot is when you can tell your son to his face he's a disappointment and a failure.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Everything about the Institute is incredibly dumb

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Trailer looks neat, definitely interested in hearing more about the game tonight.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Tenzarin posted:

Trailer didn't show much. Did they say the release date?

No, but the actual Bethesda presser isn't until later tonight so they'll probably release more info then.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jun 11, 2018

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Gort posted:

Please voiced protagonist implemented well

counterpoint: Please no voiced protagonist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp