Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Chatrapati posted:

Cool, thanks! I figured New Vegas would be recommended just based off the glowing OP. I'm happy to skip 3 since I'd be surprised if they made a game that was too confusing to play if you didn't play the prequel.

'Charming sniper' sounds like the sort of playstyle I want. I played 2 with a full luck, full charisma person; I liked solving problems without necessarily fighting, and if I got into a fight, she could prod things with her little finger and they exploded :D. Why is the conversation system worse in 4?

The one problem is that with any of them except 4 you need to mod the game pretty heavily to make it work well today (they're Bethesda engine games with all the associate instability). There's a dedicated modding thread for new vegas here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3376713, and the Viva New Vegas guide in the OP does a pretty good job of getting you started (skip the overhauls section unless you want kind of the director's cut by the goon lead developer experience, in which case ask in the modding thread here)

In New Vegas in particular, goofy stuff like Doctor Who references (and there are a few) are locked behind the Wild Wasteland trait which you pick at character creation FYI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

3D Megadoodoo posted:

You don't need any mods just play. And remember if someone says New Vegas railroads you, they just never tried to get off the tracks.

by "mods" i hope you don't mean recommending someone should play new vegas without anti-crash fixes, tick fixes, stuff to stop save corruption, etc

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

The hardest thing is balancing your inventory. There are certain things you NEED but how much of it do you actually need? I'd happily pay for atomics if i could increase my stash size by like 500 or some.

The next hardest thing are floaters and bloodbugs. I have no idea how bloodbugs can drain my health so god drat quickly.

The only thing that might be weird is the world itself. Its not our future, its a future of an alternative history. My theory and headcanon is that the youth culture revolution of the 50s never really happened or at least didn't catch on. That people all remained very square and conservative, which meant red scare became embedded in American culture, and there was never any serious anti war/peace/progressive movements in the US to moderate it.

it feels like it's actually the regular 60s when the nukes fell, but it's actually 2077 for fallout day - so the 50s trappings are actually a retro swing back to that style in about 50 years ahead of our future, THEN the nukes fall and the games take place generally decades later

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
538 level ups, what

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Morality_Police posted:

Oh poo poo, have I won Fallout? Hey fellas! I won Fallout! I did it!

you know thinking about it every "modern" fallout ends with the main character having the option to completely destroy, usually by nuke, one or more of the main factions (broken steel, lonesome road, the main ending to fallout 4)

so yeah if you nuked morganstown or whatever it, you've won 76

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rappaport posted:

That's also true of the very first Fallout! Or is :thejoke:

no, I'm not very familiar with the pre-bethesda games so I appreciate the information!

@gaius: you get the point. you can bomb the long 15, or dry wells. the point is having the opportunity to bomb a faction base and then pick through the wreckage.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

hooah posted:

I recently picked up Fallout 3 since it was a free game from the Epic Games Store. Is there any recommended mods or a guide I should use? Can I even mod this version of the game?

I don't know if you can mod Fallout 3 on EGS. It's not got a huge amount of mod support anyway, because the community has largely stabilized around a mod called "Tale of Two Wastelands" that takes the content from Fallout 3 and runs it in the updated and expanded Fallout: New Vegas engine. Yes, this requires owning both games and is kind of lovely to new players; the problem is that it's such an incredible quality improvement that everyone does it even if they just want to play Fallout 3 and not touch the New Vegas content at all.

Sorry, I know this is not the response you were hoping for at all.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Chamale posted:

Dogmeat doesn't even count as a companion, so you can use him with Lone Wanderer.

Strong likes helping people, but also likes being a dick in conversations. I know he got locked up by the other Super Mutants for trying to find "the milk of human kindness", but it would have been funnier if the whole tower of Super Mutants was quoting Macbeth while they shoot at you.

It's a shame Strong doesn't have a completed questline like most? all? of the other companions do. FIND THAT MILK BOY.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
The forbidden Eat-o-tronic.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

7c Nickel posted:

It's supposed to be a vent for the fireplace. I don't like the idea of the chimney just ending inside the house.

I figured, it looks perfect. Just had to joke about it when I realized what it really was.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
They should add Indrid Cold to really gently caress some people up.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Lawman 0 posted:

God help me I'm gonna go through fallout 3 for the first time to see if I missed anything.
Do we have a modlist?

You want to run Tale of Two Wastelands. Even if you don’t intend to play in the Mojave it’s much better quality than standalone Fallout 3 mods.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

So far WtP is pretty good and stable even though a few mods apparently didn't install, but what the gently caress did the modders do to people's eyes? They're huge lmao

Uhhh that sounds like a bug, I’ve done a play through using WTP and there’s no big face mods or something. I’d pop onto the Discord and ask for help

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I want to play FO4 with a companion (idk which one) but after a single incursion with Preston I find myself hovering my mouse over Lone Wanderer

You can find a mod to let you do lone wanderer + dogmeat, which is great. Alternatively dump Preston he sucks and hang out with someone cool like Curie, Piper, Nick or Deacon.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

At least one mod found code comments supporting the idea but they ran out of time and just sort of shoved Dogmeat into the companion slot

The biggest problem with having two companions, in my experience, is stuff that teleports them elsewhere/elevators. The game just isn’t built to support it, so only one companion will go in the elevator and the other will just disappear for awhile until they come out of nowhere.

This did result in a hilarious side effect once. I forget what quest/location, but it was something my followers weren’t supposed to be with me for at the beginning (the MC gets knocked out or whatever) and midway through I started hearing Deacon get into fights somewhere but I couldn’t figure out where. Eventually I broke out into the second half of the dungeon and everything was dead already - Deacon had spawned at the exit and worked his way back to try and find me.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

don't make fun of my Hancock mod :mad:

hancock? more like hang cock

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I have lost count of the number of times I've just about cleared out a mob of enemies, just for preston to lob a molotov directly into the object I'm hiding behind, killing me instantly.

Is there a way to see how close you are to getting their perk?

Stand by a weapon bench. Modify a weapon. “Preston liked that.” Quick save/load. Repeat until max affinity. Pretty much every Fallout 4 companion has some easy repeatable way to cheese their affinity.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Other than Far Harbour, which sounds pretty great, is any of the Fallout 4 DLC worth getting while the 60% off sale is active? I could get the season pass for $16.44 CDN, but Nuka-Land is apparently "side with raiders for content," and the rest is largely settlement building, which I do a little of, but isn't the most super-enthralling part of the game.

Nuka-Land is worth playing through anyway, and you can turn on all the raiders whenever you want to (there's significant quest content not associated with them). The other DLC with meaningful quest stuff is Automatron, which has a fun little war going on, but also makes random encounters out in the wasteland much more deadly on average.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

acidx posted:

I hope the fallout 4 patch doesn't break all the mods.

It will at least break the Script Extender itself until it’s patched, which is basically the same thing.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

BrotherJayne posted:

I hope it ups Boston performance

And fixes the load speed changing based on FPS

Have 0 expectations and that way you can’t be disappointed

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
The numbers for savant are on the fallout wiki: https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/Idiot_Savant

wizard2’s conclusion is incorrect (Int 15 is when it becomes as good as Int 2) but idiot savant is a net xp gain in all cases, just possibly a very small one.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Evil Badman posted:

I got the same itch and there's a separate thread for New Vegas/Modding, but this'll help: https://vivanewvegas.moddinglinked.com/index.html

this is the new vegas modding thread lol https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3376713

like most threads of similar age, the op is way out of date and you should read the last 10 pages instead.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Fruits of the sea posted:

Thanks, I’ll throw some patches together tomorrow. The guide is a little overkill, but I’m a hardened gamebryo sufferer so I know what tweaks to skip for this use case :v:

The guide likely isn’t overkill. If you’re not already familiar with modding new Vegas, it’s the crashiest version of its generation of gamebryo games (with fallout 3 and oblivion being the others).

By all means skip the overhauls section if you’re not interested (although you really should install jsawyer or a descendant if you’re going to play on survival mode), but Viva New Vegas is far from a total graphics redo or a total conversion or something. In fact, there’s whole pages in there telling you why not to install those kinds of mods, because they’ll likely make New Vegas explode.

Instead the reason VNV is recommended as a starting point is because it’s the community’s best efforts to fix the game’s stability, make it run well (as in no giant fps dips or something), add non-breaking patches for vanilla content, and the various ui/tweaks to fix the game being created in one development sprint back in like 2009 (so for example, menus now have the same navigation keys as a standard instead of the awful assumption everyone always used a controller that was common to AAA games of that generation.)

If you are as experienced with Gamebryo as you say you are, you should already know that each Gamebryo title has different things it can be coaxed to do well, things it needs fixed, and problems you’ll run into while modding. Follow VNV and you’ll have a much better time than assuming all your knowledge from modding Oblivion or Skyrim original edition applies just the same.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Chronojam posted:

New Vegas hit more concurrent users on Steam than at launch

Time to finally pay that bonus to obsidian :v:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

So do I play a few more hours tonight or do I wait until tomorrow's patch downloads and then wait again for the framework mods to update.

You’re on a modded fallout 4 install, right? Make sure you have things set up so Steam won’t update the game automatically (in its configuration options for Fallout 4), then make sure you have things set up so you can launch the game externally (launching F4SE through MO being the common way to do this). Updating a bunch of addons mid-run is going to be a nightmare and very likely ruin your run. You’re stuck with what you have now, keep to it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

the only two of those that are not part of "the usual script extender stuff" are UIO, which is a fundamental UI mod framework lots of other mods hang off of, and iStewie's Tweaks, which is a super common/useful mod for tweaking all kinds of little (and big) things about the game. so it's a pretty basic list of requirements.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Prestson Garvey

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Megazver posted:

I thought there was a 50% off deal on Fallout 1st available right now. Did they nix it or is it no longer available because I tried that limited free week?

Either way, boo hiss.

It’s free on prime gaming, if you have that.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

SettingSun posted:

Are there like, beginner tips for Fallout 4? I'm getting frustrated enough to consider putting this game back down. I'm trying to do like, the second mission the Brotherhood of Steel has given me to find a lost patrol. This ends up at a satellite array full of super mutants, one of whom is perched up high with a rocket launcher that will kill me in one hit, and he *will* hit me with his height advantage when I look away. Most of the enemy's favorite tactic is to just rush to melee which makes it really hard to shoot them and all my guns do diddly damage anyway, while I take a ton of it. Should I come back with power armor? Do something else? I just don't feel like I'm playing the game right.

The game gets harder the farther you get away from the NW: https://www.gamepressure.com/fallout4/world-map-enemy-levels/z18342

A rocket launcher dude is always gonna be a threat, but if you're having trouble dealing with everything else at the Satellite Array, go do some more stuff in the NW, then come back. Gaining levels, getting more points in damage perks to match the weapons you're using, that kind of stuff, all that will make a big difference. You have a lot of time after finishing the quest you're on before more Brotherhood stuff starts, so don't worry that you're going to fall behind on plot or something.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

Okay I see the appeal of Fallout 4

I just cleared the Corvega Factory. It was massive, absolutely crawling with baddies. Felt impossible at first but then I figured out how to pick off guys and kite crowds. Climbing up to the tops of the towers, you get an incredible view of the landscape. Yes it’s low poly, but it makes up for it with massive cityscapes.

did you find the bobblehead up at the top

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rappaport posted:

For what it's worth, you can usually tell where Super Mutant nests are in F4 by the... Decorations they like to have around. They usually won't see you before you see them.

The biggest bullshit move the Super Mutants pull are the suicide bombers. Sorry Dogmeat, looks like you're taking a nuke for the team!

on the flipside, the suicide bombers are a nice source of nuclear material for crafting and it's real nice when you get good at VATS to take one out when they start charging, preferably in the middle of a bunch of their friends, and watch the explosion

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Megazver posted:

You keep getting perk cards when you level up but you stop getting SPECIAL points/perk card slots at 50.

You're talking 76. The person you quoted mentioned Fallout 4. You keep getting perk points at all levels in Fallout 4.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rappaport posted:

Do the enemies like deathclaws keep scaling 'til you're around level 30 000? How many years of playing would this take :ohdear:

there are deathclaw variants up to level 91: https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/Deathclaw_(Fallout_4)

honestly, both fallout 4 and skyrim have some very cool enemy variants you rarely see if ever because they only spawn at very high levels.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kin posted:

Ah, I'm still getting used to the controls, i didn't realise i could scrap all of the existing houses and stuff.

one important thing to note about settlement building in fallout 4 is that sanctuary, red rocket, and abernathy farmstead are all too close together to build all of them up. pick one and leave the others undeveloped (ie don't add more stuff or more settlers, the stuff that's already there is fine). if you build 2 or 3 of them basically the game's system can't handle all that stuff so close together and it'll start glitching and performing terribly. This generally applies to settlements within 2 or 3 "grid squares" on the in-game map (they're there if you squint), it's just that people run into it with those three first/most commonly. it's called the "triangle of death."

Arivia fucked around with this message at 00:34 on May 3, 2024

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

JBP posted:

Fallout 4 really is just going on a bunch of carnival rides. I'm having fun wandering from one stupid situation to the next but none of it is memorable except for crossing/exploring the glowing sea which was actually cool and moody.

The actual carnival ride DLC, Nuka-World, is also great for this

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Bohemian Nights posted:

Okay, thanks! Haven't left the starting hub, just had a hunch on how this thing was put together

e: oh, this DLC is A LOT bigger than I thought it was

Yeah. After you get done exploring the parks, the raiders will eventually ask you to go assault the Commonwealth. That's when I went Open Season on their asses and didn't regret a thing/didn't miss much plot. You do lose the raider companion though.

e: the other thing you want to do before killing them all is doing anything in the arcade games you want to, that's much easier with the raider NPC there I think.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

New to fallout, was exploring in straight lines outwards. Looked up a difficulty map and it’s basically a radial increase in difficulty from the starting point lol

A helpful warning then: if you have the Automatron DLC installed (comes with GOTY) do not follow the “caravan distress call” or go to where it asks for help until you’re feeling confident about handling tough enemies. Starting that DLC makes many random encounters in the overworld harder (replaces them with new tougher enemies).

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

Don’t have the dlc, maybe I’ll get it on sale later after I do most of this game. Thanks for the heads up

No worries, none of them are absolutely essential while you're making your way through the base game.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
If you have Amazon prime, fallout 76 is free on prime gaming still. Like as a code to own it through the windows store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Using Vortex for a game with mature Mod Organizer 2 support is your first mistake. People hammer away at using MO2 because it doesn’t gently caress your games over.

Your second mistake was looking at the bug fixes page on Viva New Vegas and missing the part at the bottom where it says current AMD drivers do not support New Vegas at all and you must install DXVK: https://performance.moddinglinked.com/falloutnv.html