Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Am I the only one who didn't really like Fallout 2? I came to the original years after new vegas, but with the first game I was drawn in immediately. Every new town and village had interesting quests and people to interact with. The main plot was great and they nailed the atmosphere. Fallout 2 smoothed over a ton of the control problems I had with the original, but the whole tone was way to filled with lovely pop culture references. The game seemed way too long, there were so many towns I entered did one quest and then left. The opening was awful, and by the time I got to San Fransisco I was just begging for the game to end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I might as well ask here while you guys are talking about it. Do the KOTOR games offer anything to someone who is at best lukewarm on the starwars franchise.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

JawKnee posted:

eh... I really like both of them, and I'm not much of a star wars fan. Do you actively dislike star wars?

I mean, like a lot of Bioware stuff, KotOR is basically an excuse to engage in some candy-floss storytelling wrapped in a genre you maybe enjoy

KotOR2 is some good writing but again - you're there for a slightly interactive novel. The gameplay in both can be tedious, with a fair amount of grindy battles, but I've enjoyed both of them originally, and going back to them years later

I find Star Wars to be pretty dull, the original trilogy are good movies but the prequels are boring and the new ones are trash. If it's just a janky mass effect with a star wars paint coat I'll probably stay away.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

KOTOR has one of the best plot twists in the history of everything. If you don't know what it is play it for just that.

It's like the one thing I know about it

Arcsquad12 posted:

KOTOR 2 is Chris Avellone's thirty hour long lecture series on why The Force, Jedi and Sith are all terrible ideas that only cause human suffering.

This sounds terrible, the force is pretty dumb, but Avellone is one of the most self indulgent writers I've ever seen in games and him lecturing me for thirty hours sounds hellish.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Speaking of new Vegas, does anyone actually go to westside ever? Over six playthroughs I think I've been there once. It's just such a strange boring area, am I missing something.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The legion is pretty annoying because their goals and motivations make almost no sense when you start to think about it, and the whole thing rests on a cult of personality, but it never acknowledges how hosed the legion would be without ceaser.

Fallout 2 is a much much bigger version of fallout one there's way more stuff in every way, personally I find it detrimental to the whole experience, but in terms of gameplay I think it'd be much harder to get stuck, and there's a bunch of UI and game play improvements to make the whole thing smoother

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Dude you've already said you've never played fallout 2 and you never got past the first supermutants in the first fallout. Why the gently caress do you think you get to decide what is and isn't Canon.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Except you aren't a vault dweller in fallout 3. How did you miss the one single plot twist in the game.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The vampires are no dumber than half the poo poo in fallout 2.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Fallout 2 has a bizzare quality curve where the first few hours and the last few hours suck. And the middle of the game is alright. Everything after San Francisco was a mistake.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Avellone was responsible for the greiving mother right? Cause that was some of the worst most overwrought writing I've ever seen.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They should've either just included all the Wild Wasteland stuff into the game or just cut it. Right now It's a waste of a trait.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I mean the traits in general are designed to be relatively neutral in their overall effects, soooo

It's the only one that it's possible to go through the whole game and never be affected by it. The others all have a gameplay or role playing purpose

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The settlement system doesn't appeal to me personally but if I was younger and had more free time I bet I would've spent hundreds of hours on it.

Also the weapon variety sucks but the actual shooting finally feels good. Maybe for fallout five Bethesda can poach whoever the gun nut who worked on new Vegas was so we don't end up with a bunch of lovely pipe weapons.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I never really had a problem with the reloading bench. Just break down all your ammo and turn it into match rounds.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

frajaq posted:

Kinda...? From what I've seen they're only available if you gently caress things up for everyone else, while the Yes Men was always a choice from the get-go

I don't think that's true. I'm pretty sure you can always go in with them.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Voice acting is expensive but if you stick with industry standards rather than shelling out for one big name guy you can stretch your budget. Just look at how many notable VA actors new Vegas has. Not the largest names in the industry but reliable and versatile actors regardless.

New Vegas had a ton of celebirty VA's. And to be honest most put in a pretty piss poor performance. Controversial opinion but I think Bethesda has legitimately better voice direction, Liam neeson and Pat Stewart didn't knock my socks off, but they put in a performance which is more then I can say for Chandler or Trejo.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Maybe you guys are right. I think New Vegas is way more inconsistent though. House is great but, Veronica and Benny are awful.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

Veronica gets some good stuff, but it swings back and forth from conversation to conversation.

Benny is the only voice acting that's universally awful. But considering who the actor was (and being familiar with directing myself), there's a good possibility that Benny's delivery had more to do with director demands than Matthew Perry being bad at his job. When an actor or voice actor does a bad job that's not like the rest of their career, it's often because they're following bad direction. I can see Perry being told to tone down any emotional delivery to maintain Benny's smoothness, even when inappropriate.

Yeah I brought up that I thought New Vegas had poor voice direction before. Veronica is another example she has no idea how to keep it consistent between lines. I also think Ceaser is underplayed.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Mooktastical posted:

I do wish they'd had Felicia Day back in the studio after the release of Dead Money, though. Never being able to tell her that Christine is still alive is a wasted opportunity.
I was originally mad about it, but at this point I think it's hilarious that apparently the courier can't connect the dots and realize that Christine and her were a couple.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It would've actually have been really hosed up if you reunited Veronica and Christine. Imagine Veronica's horror at seeing that Christine's clearly gone through a ton of torture and some harrowing combat and when she opens her mouth a completely different voice comes out. It would be spooky as hell.

While were talking about how the DLC and main game interact was I the only one who wished that Follows Chalk could've been a companion in the main game. It would've been interesting to see a true outsider react to seeing the Mojave for the first time.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I must be the only person in the world who hates new Reno and every thing that happens there. If they wanted to make a gamgster rpg they should've made that instead of cramming that into my post nuclear role playing games.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The enormity and random dumb poo poo is everything I hate about two. At least it's not San Francisco

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The concept of the institute is cooler than anything in new Vegas, even the buildup to them is great. They're slowly replacing key figures to control the Commonwealth from the shadows for some inscrutable means, incredible super techonology that means they can strike at any time and any place, it's rad. The loving execution is...so...loving bad. The second you step foot in the institute all the gravitas is shattered and your left wondering how these chuckle fucks have even remembered how to keep breathing.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Running around the Mojave with a dozen guys all trying to quip at the same time sounds like the last circle of hell.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Azhais posted:

Ian forever ruined companions in Fallouts for me, I don't take them anywhere anymore :argh:

I got through all of Fallout 1 with Ian and Dogmeat only for them to die in the military base walking back and forth through the damage force fields. I couldn't even give enough of a poo poo to reload and save them at that point.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You'd think places like the NCR would be more appreciative of ghouls. If nothing else the pre war ones must be an incredible fount of knowledge that otherwise might be lost.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Pyromancer posted:

Lonesome road was worse, turning the game to linear sequence of fight arenas with villain monologuing at you over radio.

I liked the Verticality and general setting of Lonesome Road. The whole story though waffles between alright and showcasing all the worst of aspects of NV's writing.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I hope it's intended that the Legion doesn't resemble the real Rome in a single way other than the cosplay they wear.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Does the restoration patch add quality content. Because I almost feel like replaying fallout 2 but I also already think it's massively bloated.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah until he decides to kill himself by running into the same damage forcefield over and over again.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Mantis42 posted:

All the NPCs have only one canned line, "I'm walkin' here!" and they spout it nonstop.

The first game where the kill everyone route is the correct and morally good route.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's really weird that the divide was both a major city, an important supply route, and a battleground between caeser and the NCR and yet nobody has anything to say about it in the main game.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

marktheando posted:

So was it just me that really enjoyed the settlement building?

If I had as much free time as I did as a kid playing fallout 3 I probably would've loved it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

76 is gonna be as uncanoned as hard as brotherhood of steel by the time the next fallout comes out, not that Beth ever gave a poo poo about canon.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

From what I remember the prebuilts are trash.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

Getting a handle of the mechanics and I’m really enjoying Fallout 1. I see why this game is so beloved.

It really is the best of all the fallouts. The writing is great and shoulders above the other games in the series.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I would try and go into two with an open mind instead of looking at others opinions first. If I gave you my own it might influence your own experience, and I doubt for the better.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Wanamaingos you mean. Pretty sure those were just another weird Fev abomination like the centaurs and the weird tape worm guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Father Wendigo posted:

:stonklol:

If New California was the first big ""professional"" indie Fallout mod and this is the second, I don't know if I'm ready to see what Fallout: Miami is going to bring to the table.

Beyond Boulder dome was the first mod I've seen with the gall to claim it was a DLC sized expansion, It was pretty bad but not quite the shitshow frontier and New Calfornia ended up being