Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Halser posted:

I didn't mind that.
I did mind robots having 1500HP and insane resistances to everything, making small and big guns worthless(aside from the extremely rare gauss rifle and Browning M2) for a good chunk of the game.

Shotguns were still good. Admittedly, that was about it, but the variable ammo loads meant that they were useful from the beginning of the game to the end.

There was a lot of garbage, and even more stuff that went obsolete, but I did enjoy playing through tactics. Especially when I had a Deathclaw as the party medic/driver/grenadier/mechanic. Just driving around, chucking grenades out the window to make robots explode.

Good times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I'm just stuck on the amnesia claims. Rope kid could correct me, because the memory is not fresh, but I'm pretty sure your character's memories are intact.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Vakal posted:

The Institute really should have been the main entity of the the Vault-Tec Corporation. Like Vault Prime or something like that.

Since we see in the other games that the failure rate of the vaults is like 90%, their plan of restoring humanity to what it was pre-war is pretty much screwed.

The synths would make a bit more sense then since after 200 years they have run out of "pure blood" humans like Shaun to carry on their legacy and have decided to create the synths and transfer their consciousness into them in order to live forever.

Then all the bodysnatcher poo poo going on in the commonwealth wouldn't be so much a control thing, but more of them trying to develop and perfect the ability to perfectly copy human brains into machines before they do it to themselves.

Interesting thing is, we got the central vault before, in Tactics. Bigger, no experiments, and guarded by an army of cutting edge killbots where the low end can take on a deathclaw and the high end can take on a moderate sized country. And did I mention they're self replicating? Because they do that. It's pretty impressive.

Then they cut the safety measures in favor of more executive bonuses, because of course they did, and now the killbots are rampaging all over the wasteland, and only the Brotherhood is in any position to stop them.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ApeHawk posted:

The fact that the last Fallout game to have a working vehicle for the player was made 20 years ago is both baffling and sad.

17 years, at the moment.

Tactics had several vehicles, including a tank. The catch was, you could only use them in the designated mission and random encounters, not other scripted missions. No bringing your APC to Great Bend to have a little more armor.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I don't know - it ended the way most of the movies do and certainly felt more like the original series than Fury Road. Mad Max and The Road Warrior both end with everyone around him dead and Max increasingly bitter, Thunderdome ends on a slightly more happy note but Max still wanders off alone to go gently caress up someone else life. Fury Road ends a lot differently since he doesn't end up driving off into the sunset alone; possibly because his iconic V8 Interceptor got torn in half somewhere along the way.

They've apparently got two more scripts in the works so I hope they get around to continuing the story sometime soon.

Eh?

The Road Warrior ends with Max finding out he played decoy, but the bulk of the settlers, Feral Kid, and the Gyro Captain all lived. He saved the day, even if he stayed an outcast.

And he might not have driven off in Fury Road, but he disappeared into the crowd to leave the people to forge their own future, not taking a part in it even though he helped make it possible.

Other than the first one, "Max helps people, then leaves" is the basic formula.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

DeathChicken posted:

The Think Tank are all horrible shits. Some of them just hide it behind funny better than others.

Doctor Mobius was an okay guy, I thought.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

A Sometimes Food posted:

Getting him as the newsman was legit pretty cool though, but yeah the set characters kind of blow and Nora in particular feels half assed. Even by Bethesda standards. It's such a wasted premise, having real dialogue options for varied characterisation with the prewar solider and civilian could have been so cool. Like being able to imply you were a shady as gently caress lawyer or a dissident would have been rad as gently caress. Just play the game as lady Saul Goodman. Or you could go full jingo breathing probably would join the Enclave for Nate. Or have him be jaded and broken.

Hell, the Brotherhood of Steel was founded by army deserters. You could (in a bit of a contrived coincidence, but when has that stopped Bethesda?) have met one of the founders.

"Roger Maxson? I know that jackass. Never returned my Tijuana bibles."

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Someone should make an RPG where all the characters are robots so they have an excuse to voice them all with text-to-speech programs.

If Taro Yoko didn't do it when offered a golden opportunity, it's probably not going to happen.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

The last time the Brotherhood developed something new (before they built the Prydwen) was a handful of laser weapons in Fallout 1. By contrast, the Enclave had nearly 150 years of nonstop technological progress since the bombs fell, and their power armor is far more advanced than the T-51 suits the brotherhood was stuck with until the T-60 retcon.

I'm being kind of facetious with the lack of tech advancements but the point is they have lagged behind everyone else because they focused entirely on weapons.

Fallout Tactics has them develop new anti-robot tech. But Fallout Tactics is about the guys who were exiled for being, depending on who you listen to, either forward thinking go getters who believe in the potential of all humanity, or totalitarian fascist whackjobs who will let deathclaws drive tanks if it allows them to get access to a shiny new screwdriver.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

eating only apples posted:

I wish Kris Kristofferson had more than his 30 minutes of straight dialogue, because I sure did sit there and listen to all his stories and was disappointed when there was nothing else to talk about and I had to listen to him once last time before he shot himself. It's the right thing to do probably but I sure don't feel good about it when I do it. I don't think I've ever let him carry on.

You know there's a third option, right?

Kill Caesar, and you can convince him the war's winnable, make him give up without blowing his brains out.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Riatsala posted:

My first thought was Deus Ex, but if we're giving slack to games based on year of release, VtMBL probably wins.

Deus Ex's combat isn't good, and low leveled weapons are a pain to work with, but once you get a skill mastered it's okay. (Had fun once in the catacombs throwing skulls and quickdrawing the sniper rifle to blow them apart before they hit the ground.)

Invisible War is worse. Deus Ex was clunky and weird, but it also had plenty of fun emergent options, and it felt good to score a hit. Blow holes in someone's arm, they drop their gun. Clean headshot, clean kill. Invisible War had most enemies feel like bullet sponges, weak sound and feedback, the universal ammo system, and a whole lot of other poo poo that prevented even Deus Ex levels of enjoyment in shooting dudes.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

8one6 posted:

I remember thinking Dark Alliance was a fun time waster, how bad could it be?

Pretty bad.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

You and me both.

An increasingly frustrated and erratic Ulysses trying to explain his plan and worldview to a courier who's fundamentally incapable of understanding it would have been amazing.

It would.

I forget, though.

Do you get Johan Liebert style options?

Because convincing him that you're the devil, that this was on purpose, and that he cannot even being to understand your grand design might be fun too.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Viva Miriya posted:

Its been a while but I'm pretty sure you don't actually need all that carrying capacity once you end up maxing out strength with power armor and other things during the game.

e: googling around now has me making builds again. Wonder how many times I'm gonna do that temple before 1am?

I think that was the point. Power armor, perks, and combat drugs make up for a lot of carry weight issues.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kanos posted:

The Midwestern Brotherhood is also ridiculously expansionist compared to the other chapters we see. You spend pretty much the entirety of Tactics rolling around absorbing wastelander factions, either "benevolently" or by force.

Well, absorbing to varying degrees. Some towns it's made clear you're basically just doing some protection racket jobs. They give you money, you kill anything that bothers them. Others, it's more... forceful. (Like rounding up anyone seen too close to a raider and making them transport nuclear materials.)

Apparently, Fallout Tactics 2 was going to dial up the fascism another couple clicks, if it had actually come out, to make for more "Are we the baddies, Hans?" moments.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Didn't the Vault Dweller need to visit the Glow in order to retrieve some holodisks from a lost expedition or something? It only involves you going one or two levels down if you don't feel like exploring. I don't think they send you there (solely) to watch you microwave yourself to death.

The Mid-West Brotherhood was a lot more open minded because they didn't have much of a choice in the matter - it was either accept new people into the ranks or wither away since they had no means of getting help from out west. They then took on a "We're going to restore this land to it's pre-War glory even if we have to drag you kicking and screaming" mantra as they cut across the plains states. Bethesda hasn't really confirmed if they're still canon or not though they do get a brief mention in 3.

They were kicked out for the "We should accept new people" doctrine, so it's pretty core to their attitude.

And some of the groups you pick up are explicitly volunteers, like the ghouls who, assuming you let them in, get better treatment from the Brotherhood than almost anyone else.

I mean, they can hire Deathclaws. In comparison, ghouls aren't worthy of much comment.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

jfood posted:

the 'good' ending of tactics has everyone lorded over by a machine cult of robo-apparatchiks, but deathclaw integration programs and ghoul safe spaces which is rad. the 'just following orders' ending has slave labour camps for mutants and a deathclaw head over the mantle of every good patriotic household... well, hovel anyway... but the machine cult will all sound like r. lee emery which is pretty loving cool.

There's also an ending where the Brotherhood has to actually integrate with the locals and learn farming and the like. It also describes the local factions as "The Brotherhood and their allies", which seems to indicate at least some level of political independence, even if the Brotherhood is in control.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Viva Miriya posted:

I had to uninstall because I literally have no selfdiscipline and wasted alot of time on break. But uhh i got the gist of it and had fun.

I feel like I would have beaten vanilla FO1 by the time ive knocked out broken hills and started on new reno in the restoration patch. This also covers doubling back for the vault city poo poo and the new vault village.

Maybe not totally accurate time wise but i def feel that way.

E: i feel i should just check out a lets play or something. Theres one up for 2 right?

Yes, but it's a low Int playthrough, so it doesn't cover everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

marshmallow creep posted:

this is a child

High school senior. Also a licensed emergency service professional who once broke a Yakuza member's arm by kicking it really, really hard.