Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
It's not a legit fallout 3d game if VATS doesn't randomly break and make your character powerslide to their deaths/focus on a piece of giblet for a solid minute

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Fallout tactics multiplayer was fun for the short time it existed because you could make a pack of dogs with extremely good stealth and unarmed and just terrorize people with your ghost dogs. Bonus if you fit in a human with explosives to arm them with live dynamite/grenades.

There was a points system where dogs had a base cost of like 20, with mutants at like 200 and robots somewhere around 1000+, so you could make squads of dudes or just run around with 1 superbeing

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jan 29, 2018

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

TEENAGE WITCH posted:

H A T E N E W S P A P E R S

HELL YEAH
    NO WAY
    SARCASTIC YES
    RELATIONSHIP

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Reality Loser posted:

My protip for FO4 is also don't spend money on it. It's such a huge step backwards from FONV in writing and gameplay and charm.

I wouldn't say it's completely without merit, it's just not much of a fallout game (speaking as someone who didnt mind FO3). It's basically Open World Borderlands Without The Loud Personality. It honestly would be remembered more fondly if it had been an original property.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
If you want the true Enhanced Fallout 2 experience, install the cut content mod, make a nerdy speech character, then get punched to death on your first steps out of the tribe by the last warrior who is twice as fast as you and determined to swirly you

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
the dog Brain: I haven't seen a game end that fast since I went west from my village!

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Speaking of NV and modding, there's actually a mod that lets you build your own little fort, complete with fences, turrets, guard posts, etc.

It's a little janky due to the nature of placeable objects modded into a game (i.e the game doesn't know not to render stuff behind normal non-terrain objects, so things get laggy when you put enough stuff down since it's rendering everything at once) but it's a fun little timewaster, I liked putting it in the desert crater with the scorpions and ants. It also has raider/mutant/etc. raids if you're into the survival concept.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Speaking of story, the thematic whiplash between doing the "Kill Danse he's a synth traitor, humanity bombed itself because science went too far!!" quest And then immediately moving to "lets rebuild the jingoistic robot that literally chucks nukes at things" quest was real harsh.

On the whole the story seemed to make prewar out to be an OK place that just incidentally blew up.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

all predetermined background

To be fair, FNV technically has this; before the Courier is shot in the head and loses his memory he's an entirely independent character. It was a neat way to introduce uninformed player agency to an adult developed character.

(Spoilered since some are just trying out FNV for the first time) No matter how you play the Courier, he/she still accepted the job to nuke Hopeville

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Jan 31, 2018

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

dont be mean to me posted:

This is a dramatic mischaracterization bordering on the malicious.

Unless you think the Courier decided that murdering two entire cities with a robot with a city-murdering shell script was cool and good, even though they couldn't have known that it had one.

Unless a cheat character got blown out of their brains in the opening cinematics.

Or you're ODing on whatever Ulysses ODed on.

He doesn't have to have known what was in the package he delivered to still have accepted and been responsible for its delivery. That's an action the player has no control over, because the player character doesn't begin until the courier's past memory dies

Ulysses' point was that ignorance doesn't absolve you of responsibility; the courier blew up a town capable of converting amoral frumentarii, legion, and NCR alike. He teaches the player character that when he leads you to the launch button to blow up Hopeville a second time.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Then let's go make a mod for the Courier to kill themselves. Short playthrough but it's the only ethical option, right?

Well, now you're just being flippant.

If the point was "kill yourself because that's the only ethical choice" then you wouldn't be able to persuade Ulysses otherwise.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Why would I care what Ulysses thinks?

Because he's one of the most informed characters in the setting, knows who the courier was before the Player personality manifested, and the proponent of the idea that you should die for what you did. If even he can be convinced that you aren't beyond redemption then there's probably truth there.

He's also responsible for the Player's existence in the first place, having rejected the platinum chip delivery himself on the belief that you'd be killed delivering it.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jan 31, 2018

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

You still haven't put together a compelling argument for why the nuclear terrorist who carried water for the wasteland's most prolific slaver for most of his reign deserves to even live, let alone why the Courier should have to appease him to justify their own continued existence.

Hell, you haven't even established that it IS the only way for the Courier to justify their own continued existence - and that 'probably' says that you think even that might not be enough! So what WOULD actually not-just-probably justify the Courier's continued existence to you?

Or that the revenge angle is anything more than a plot hook.

He and his tribe was enslaved by Caesar. He didn't make the decision to work for him. In fact, the moment he had an opportunity he abandoned the Legion, it makes no sense to hold this against him. He wants to get rid of the Legion and NCR both because he recognizes them as imperfect nations, and because they both destroyed his homes. He deserves to live because nobody deserves to die for the crime of getting their homes destroyed and being enslaved.

I never said it was the only way to justify the Courier's existence; you're the first person to even bring up that the Courier should die, as a flippant response to me suggesting that the Courier was responsible for getting Hopeville blown up. He's not the arbiter of why the Courier should survive, but the fact that the person who has the most deserved grudge against the Courier can be persuaded to his side is a compelling reason why the Courier is not beyond redemption for his mistakes.

chiasaur11 posted:

I'm just stuck on the amnesia claims. Rope kid could correct me, because the memory is not fresh, but I'm pretty sure your character's memories are intact.

It's pretty easy to assume that from the fact that you, the player, the person playing the Courier, knows nothing about the Courier's past, and only gained control over him after he was shot directly in the head. Especially since your first main mission is to head to the office you received the package from, to find out where you were going to deliver it.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

2house2fly posted:

The first thing you do in the game is tell a guy your name and discuss your medical history, and the player already knows where the package was going to be delivered because you have the delivery order in your inventory

Said medical history and name are entirely up to the player's discretion. You don't know the courier's name and medical history because you don't know anything about them, you're just making it up as it suits you.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

2house2fly posted:

Yeah because you're creating the character

Except the character has already done stuff in the universe. In prior fallout games and most RPG's your character has done nothing before you create them (because they didn't exist before creation). The courier has a history attached to them beyond the player's control.

This isn't exactly a new concept from Obsidian. Alpha Protocol played with the fact that you were not creating a character, but rather choosing the approaches the existing character would take to achieve his goals.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Bad choice of words, perhaps.

Ulysses ought expect the consequences of being an exterminator of hundreds and hundreds of people on several occasions, and of being a clear and present threat of extermination of literal millions of people on the occasion presented in Lonesome Road. Perhaps in the real world that would get him a lifetime stay at a Nordic-administered International Court of Justice social rehabilitation retreat, but in a place where most societies consider misdemeanors to be capital offenses, no points for guessing what that consequence is likely to be. In any case, that clear and present threat means the Courier is left with only a few options - manage a meeting of the minds with Ulysses, which is definitely not up to the Courier alone; consign Ulysses to death; consign good portions of the Southwest's population to death. Arguably no one deserves to die at all, and no one deserves to decide the lives of others, but defense of self and others is fairly well established both ethically and in the theologies the Courier is likely to encounter traveling the Mojave and neighboring lands, the Courier has been brought to this decision by Ulysses and his machinations, and you would need some extremely creative argument to justify Ulysses' life over that of much of the Southwest's population.

Being conquered does not relieve him of these consequences. Being enslaved might, if slavery constitutes principal or constructive obliteration of his personal autonomy and agency. This isn't too uncommon in the Legion (arguably, with the apparatus and mythology of the Legion, this has happened even to Caesar!) so this is an easy generalization to make.

The problem with generalizing this concept out to Ulysses is that he is a frumentarius, and exceptional even for them. Frumentarii in general have among the greatest latitude and opportunity for perspective afforded anyone in the wasteland, and it's surprisingly easy for someone of talent or means to purposely lose themselves in a place like the Mojave. Or Utah. (Speaking of Utah: Ulysses' first opportunity to abandon the Legion was after the sacking of New Canaan? Really? It might have been the breaking point for him but first opportunity?) Whether the Legion will attempt retribution is answered at Wolfhorn Ranch. (Speaking of ethics: bringing another person into a life like Ulysses'.)

All fair points, and although I might be mistaken, I believe that it's hinted at that a part of Ulysses' blame is a projection of his own guilt, hence why if you persuade him he doesn't leave the Divide, instead watching over it to make sure noone sneaks in to steal/launch any nukes

quote:

You believe that the Courier should be held accountable for a mass murder which they could not have known about, by virtue of, from the Courier's perspective, carrying junk to a place. How does that responsibility/accountability even attach? "They carried thing, so gently caress 'em"?

They aren't sole responsible or even the primary person responsible, but at the end of the day they did deliver that package unaware of what was in it. It's why most countries have post offices that check for contraband and suspicious packages; having those checks in place might not prevent all malicious deliveries, but you'd still hold it against the government if such happened and there wasn't a check in place. We're basically in the third person seat of a pretty common moral dilemma in an RPG, where the protagonist is tasked with delivering a package and explicitly told not to look inside. It just so happens Old Courier decided to make the choice of delivering without looking inside.

Avalerion posted:

Do we need to be spoiler tagging this stuff? [spoiler]If you get mailed a letter bomb or whatever the responsibility is with whoever made and send it, not with the post man.

Someone in the thread mentioned playing NV for the first time, so I figured it was the polite thing to do. This probably should move to the (still active) New Vegas thread since it's gotten long in the tooth, yeah.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Wolfsheim posted:

Yeah, this is dumb. Each Fallout protagonist (other than 3) has a history, even if it's a pretty vague one where you lived a relatively unremarkable life in a vault/tribe/Boston suburb.

What exactly did the MC do before being created in any of the other games?

- FO1: nameless unimportant figure in a vault
- FO2: nameless unimportant figure in a tribe coming of age
- FO3: sperm in a nameless unimportant figure in a vault's nutsack

FO4 is the only one beside NV that bucks this trend...and incidentally happens to be the one criticized as having little player agency and basically a predetermined character arc.

quote:

The Courier also doesn't actually go "huuurrrr what is the NCR :downs:" all of the NCR dialogue choices are framed in a way that can be read as "tell me what the NCR is up to in this area because I'm trying to subtly gauge how people feel about them in this area."

Not really following on how this supports any 'side' of the argument. By the time -you- have those options -you- are the new personality of the courier.

E: if you want to take FO outside Americana, the obvious choice is to cross the iron curtain and have one based around Russia and their retrofuturism. Although there's still plenty of unique areas you can take FO in America.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jan 31, 2018

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Wolfsheim posted:

How is 'nameless courier who delivered packages for a few years' any different from 'nameless tribal'? They both have just as much backstory, possibly more in F2's case because you actually end up interacting with some of your family members (your whiny cousin, your bitchy aunt, etc).

It's more than just "delivers packages" as evident from this conversation; before the player takes control he's helped blow up a town, make an enemy out of one of its former residents, accept the job of delivering the chip, and get shot in the head. If he was the player character even back then, you'd figure that you would have a say in those events.

I'm surprised this is even a point of contention, considering how minor a detail it is, and how cleanly a cutoff exists with the head wound + recovery.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Lonesome Road is the only DLC I didn't play and I'm kind of glad I didn't if it tries to force a specific backstory on you.

It's not necessarily you, but the courier that gets the backstory. The idea being that a traumatic head injury resulted in a shift in personality (the Player being that new personality), be it from memory loss (not uncommon in head injuries + explains away how the player can know nothing about the courier) or just general brain damage.

The Player didn't have a hand in blowing up Hopeville, but the courier did.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Wolfsheim posted:

It's especially funny because some of the choices you make at the beginning are things like gender and race. I guess that bullet was really something when it transformed the straight white man Courier Jones who is good at pistols into the black lesbian Donna McCourier who can punch a man so hard he explodes :v:

I mean, you don't know the courier's gender or race beforehand, bit odd to default to White Male.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

The game does that.

They're the first choice of their respective criteria, but the game doesn't specify the courier as any particular gender or race, so "I can select those" isn't really a silver bullet.

Wolfsheim posted:

It's a totally arbitrary distinction, though? The Chosen One interacted with her/his fellow villagers throughout childhood, watched her/his home get ravaged by famine and chose to undertake the Temple of Trials,

...that's everyone in the tribe, though. The only unique aspect here is that the Chosen One is most related to the Vault Dweller, and so is put up to the trials (that are only completed once the player gains control). If you mod in cut content, it turns out you aren't even the first chosen one.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
That said, I do hope that the next FO stays a little more grounded than FO4. IMO you can have tons of wacky scifi in a sparse wasteland (FO3), or a populated map with slightly more grounded tech outside of weapons (FONV), but when you have multiple giant towns with brain scanners and sentries and power armor stations and a super-lab and etc. It feels less like a post-apocalyptic game and more a "what if atom bombs were actually just filled with country-sized payloads of random trash and flipped over tables" scenario.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
The case against/for a voiced main character:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-T9cK0MDb1I&hd=1

The case for/against a voiced main character:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxk40MMAd4A&hd=1

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I like that geralt's reason for getting laid so often is actually reasonable (sterile and immune to disease in a world of filthy sheepshaggers), he's practically preyed on by women in some stories because of how consequence-free a lay he is.

A refreshing upfrontness in a sea of bodice-ripping hunkmen who seduce every woman they lay eyes on

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

achillesforever6 posted:

Well the Khan's are descended from a Vault where they stuffed a whole bunch nationalities stuffed in one tiny vault

Cool they got Zoe Bell to voice her, man I forgot how impressive FNV's voice cast even though a bunch of them use the same exact voices for different characters.

Impressive the number of VA's you can get when you dont pay sean bean to read your shopping list :v:

(Do you think he sighed when he found out his first videogame character also ends up dying)

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I haven't played Skyrim, but I can already take a guess (or rather hope) that you guys are talking about that higher pitched dweeby imperial VA from Oblivion

The "fancypants" guy, his attempts to sound tough are always hilarious in how little effort he puts in.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm pretty sure they do. The reason for this is they record lines that are unique for each character and also have a pool of general lines shared between every character that voice actor does. Generic stuff like greeting messages and combat banter are the main example. Obviously Bethesda does this because it saves time and money versus recording this dialogue for every single NPC. However if the voice actor tries really hard to alter their voice, Bethesda can't use the generic lines without them sounding completely out of place.

The priest I mentioned earlier is the perfect example of this failing. The VA tries to sound overly-dramatic on purpose to imitate an over-the-top preacher. So he'll be shouting with a pious voice in his regular dialogue, then when he says goodbye he switches to that VA's standard performance and it sounds completely different.

The weirdest part is that they also did this for the writing; in the Whodunnit quest most of the VA's have a bunch of identical lines despite none of said lines showing up elsewhere.

Beggars in Oblivion are probably most notorious for the whole voice-change hilarity. They decided to give them over-the-top british pauper accents for their lines, but then gave them the normal rumours.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I think the primitive 3d rendering helped a lot too; in old games it often looks like high quality claymation, which is a really good medium for 'gross' textures and vibes.

The designs of 3/NV/4 have a lot more detail to work with, but at the same time that gives way to being too detailed/overdesigned, which kind of neuters it.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
It's a clever workaround, though it's most notorious for showing just how antiquated Bethesda's main engine is at this point. I mean, most engines available dont need to spoof every moving model into a fully-statted NPC. It makes me wonder what crazy poo poo is going on to make the elevator in the tower Strong is located in work; it would be hilarious if there exists item_elevatorshoes that purposefully break skeleton animations so the NPC can hover downwards.

I understand engine building is a PITA in of itself, let alone one with comprehensive and intuitive build tools available to both developers and modders, but their parent company kind of owns Id and has made Skyrim money on 6 platforms at this point.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Feb 6, 2018

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
IIRC you could also screw with it by taking drugs that apply screen filters before the slideshows started.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
The majority of point lookout felt kind of weird in Fallout. Like the developers were coming up with fallout DLC ideas and had just finished marathoning Lovecraft.

There's a continuation of it in 4 as well, with the Dunwich Borers place.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

I think the best location for the next Fallout would be Florida. Lots of potential for new experiences there.

Only if the hero of kvatch/dragonborn/lone wanderer/tribal/courier player nickname was Florida Man/Woman, established after a historian religious cult that collects newspapers sees you leaving the vault.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
It's absolutely less crash-prone than it's been before. Although that has more to do with Skyrim Legendary Edition; basically Sony said "none of your games have actually worked on our consoles, we're not working with you on the PS4 rerelease of Skyrim until you fix your poo poo." and that was the motivator to finally fix stuff like quicksave crashes and memory overflows.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Yeah, Gamebryo itself is basically an engine for making engines, unlike Source or Unreal where the framework is set and ready. It's more comparable to a Ye Olde Unity. The Creation engine is the same as their old engine, but basically in a newer iteration of Gamebryo that makes it easier to fix poo poo. To their credit FO4 and Skyrim Legendary crash like, 90% less compared to Oblivion/Skyrim OG/FO3/FNV.

And I think they recoded how the saves remember object interaction so that your save doesnt become a rapidly bloating time bomb chomping at the bit to corrupt all your saves.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

2house2fly posted:

Its chill to remember just how insane the beginning of Fallout 4 is

What are you talking about, i've been waiting decades to finally be able to play a housewife perplexed by the shelf-life of her pantry, in the fallout setting

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
An upper class citizen in diamond city talking down to you as he eats nondescript slop from the worlds rustiest cafeteria tray

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
The game does a pretty bad job admittedly of training you to westside. I guess they figured some people would go north from goodsprings, so it made sense to put content there so they aren't just walking through destroyed raider rubbles.

Tales from the Burning Sands is a pretty neat quest mod with a pretty huge DLC-sized instance that has a hub for crafting its perks and items in Westside, if you want to add some more excuses to go there.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Mycroft Holmes posted:

what do i do about fallout 4 having insane load times? i'm getting really annoyed with how long just fast travel is taking.

Turn off vsync, or get a mod that toggles it off/on for load screens. For some insane reason your loading is tied to your FPS, so uncapped framerate helps tremendously.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Also Maccready is a huge rear end in a top hat and i'm surprised that they had gotten so into making him (renamed) and the anti-lamplight mercs a big part of the world before realizing "oh poo poo, none of this is compelling"

Also means the gunners are mercenaries that just so happen to always be hostile to the player like every other raider group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

ApeHawk posted:

The fact that the last Fallout game to have a working vehicle for the player was made 20 years ago is both baffling and sad.

Father Wendigo posted:

Given how horses worked in Skyrim, I'm not terribly surprised.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6pXsw3oPs0

Pretty neat mod, there's a different newer mod for car driving that includes storage, but it's not as impressive visually.

There's also a mod out there that basically gives you a mobile home, you can't drive it but it's still neat.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Feb 16, 2018